The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame more?
Terrell Davis 83 87.37%
Curtis Martin 9 9.47%
Neither 3 3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Turd_Ferguson

Default Who's more HOF worthy TD or Curtis Martin?

I see Curtis Martin got into the HOF... For starters I don't think this guy was HOF worthy, but I'll take it a step further and say I think Terrell Davis deserves to be in there more than Curtis "average" Martin. Should TD be in before Martin?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Both do ,but since push came to shove , I went with T.D. based on post season play
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I hate the fact that longevity is so highly valued. TD was sensational for 4 seasons and, I believe, still holds postseason records. He's a two time super bowl champ, had a 2,000 yard season, and will be remembered more fondly than Martin. Guarantee you that. It's absurd he's not in the hall.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Agamemnon

Greatness > Longevity

Or at least it should. But then again this is more about TD being a Bronco than anything else. If TD had done what he did for the Steelers or Cowboys he'd have been in a long time ago.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Greatness > Longevity

Or at least it should. But then again this is more about TD being a Bronco than anything else. If TD had done what he did for the Steelers or Cowboys he'd have been in a long time ago.
Earl Campbell was legitimately great, but didn't have a really long, productive career. he was very productive in 5 of his first 6 years, but after that, injuries took their toll.

9407 yards on 2187 carries. but he was a force of nature in those first couple of seasons and people who saw him play will still be talking about him 50 years from now. he's the kind of player that the HOF was created to honor. and they did. he's in.

but nobody will be talking about Emmitt "Dancing Queen" Smith or Curtis Martin the same way. it will literally NEVER happen.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

TD is hurt by the fact that everyone and their brother ran for a thousand plus in Denver. He was a great back and cracked 2000, and Portis would have also if he stayed in Denver. The running back success under Shanahan hurts his chances of ever getting in.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Martin will always be one of those guys when you look at the record books, and say, "He's up that high?"

He was steady, but not anything spectacular.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Greatness > Longevity

Just going to play devil's advocate here. Let's put the show on the other foot for a moment.

1) If Davis had done it for the Steelers or Cowboys (same stats, same longevity), would us Broncos fans be as adamant on his HOF induction?

2) If greatness > longevity, how great for how long? Where do you draw the line? 4 years? 6 years? 8?

Do I think Davis is HOF worthy? Not sure. If he makes it in, I'll be happy, but if not, I understand why.

That said, here are the problems I have with certain members of the HOF. For one, I think the number one consideration should be "was this player considered the best at his position at some point during his career? Curtis Martin? I don't think the case could be made that Martin was EVER considered the best at his position. I honestly question whether Emmitt Smith was.

The problem I have with the HOF process in general is the selection process. Four to seven players must be selected every year. What if there aren't four players good enough? Well then the top four vote getters get in. That's why I like the MLB HOF selection process better (although it still is flawed as well). No minimum, no maximum, you just need to get a certain percentage of the writers' votes.

The HOF should be reserved for the greatest players of all time. Rickey Jackson? Andre Tippett? Art Monk? Thurman Thomas? James Lofton? Jim Kelly?

A case could be made for every one of those guys that they were never considered the best at their position at any time during their career. There are about 275 members in the HOF...I bet that number could be cut in half pretty easily.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Wow. Martin should not be in. Maybe in like 20 yrs or so.....But TD deserves to be. Unbiased opinion.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Just not enough of a sample for TD. He was a better player than Martin for sure if you match up his best years, and TD was my favorite player during that era, but longevity does matter.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Just going to play devil's advocate here. Let's put the show on the other foot for a moment.

1) If Davis had done it for the Steelers or Cowboys (same stats, same longevity), would us Broncos fans be as adamant on his HOF induction?

2) If greatness > longevity, how great for how long? Where do you draw the line? 4 years? 6 years? 8?

Do I think Davis is HOF worthy? Not sure. If he makes it in, I'll be happy, but if not, I understand why.

That said, here are the problems I have with certain members of the HOF. For one, I think the number one consideration should be "was this player considered the best at his position at some point during his career? Curtis Martin? I don't think the case could be made that Martin was EVER considered the best at his position. I honestly question whether Emmitt Smith was.

The problem I have with the HOF process in general is the selection process. Four to seven players must be selected every year. What if there aren't four players good enough? Well then the top four vote getters get in. That's why I like the MLB HOF selection process better (although it still is flawed as well). No minimum, no maximum, you just need to get a certain percentage of the writers' votes.

The HOF should be reserved for the greatest players of all time. Rickey Jackson? Andre Tippett? Art Monk? Thurman Thomas? James Lofton? Jim Kelly?

A case could be made for every one of those guys that they were never considered the best at their position at any time during their career. There are about 275 members in the HOF...I bet that number could be cut in half pretty easily.
naw It doesnt matter the team to me,if you look at John Riggins he got in on his post season play and Gayle Sayers got in on even less..
Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Just not enough of a sample for TD. He was a better player than Martin for sure if you match up his best years, and TD was my favorite player during that era, but longevity does matter.
I agree see my post where I quoted ole whats his face
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Why?

Look at his post season numbers. They are unreal. He left his mark...and then some. Yes, longevity should count for something, but his 4 years were INSANE. They werent merely good, they were all world.

He deserves to be in there.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Did Curtis Martin ever lead the league in Rushing yards

Did Curtis Martin ever lead the league in scoring TD's

How many Offensive player of the year awards for Curtis Martin

How many MVP's for Martin

How about Superbowl wins and not to mention Superbowl MVP

It has been a long time since Terrell Davis was playing in the NFL that I think alot of you have forgotten how dominating of a player he was. His Best season, he would have broken Eric Dickensons all time single season yardage record if Denver was not up so far and he was getting pulled from games at halftime already having 150+ yards.

Terrell Davis was greater than Curtis Martin, CM never played with Matt Lepsis, hence he played for alot longer than the great TD.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Honestly it depends on your definition of fame - do you have to be extraordinary or do you just have to be consistently very good?

TD was extraordinary for a short time, he won a league MVP, Super bowl MVP, 1 league rushing titles, set numerous playoff and super bowl records, won 2 super bowls, 3 all pro teams, 2 time offensive player of the year.

Curtis Martin has 2 more pro-bowls and 2 more all-pros, he was offensive rookie of the year and also won a single league rushing title.

TD has 2 seasons that are better than Curtis Martin's best in terms of yards and TDs. TD won 3 regular season league awards, Curtis Martin won 1, TD won 2 super bowl and was named MVP in one.

(Anywhere that says Martin, you can replace with Bettis and the argument still works except Bettis never won a rushing title, has only 3 all-pros and won a super bowl).

If the hall is there to celebrate life time achievements then Bettis and Martin both deserve to go and Davis shouldn't, but if it is there to celebrate the best of the best, then neither Martin nor Bettis should go but Davis should.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Did Curtis Martin ever lead the league in Rushing yards
Yup, in 2004 by 1 yard over Shaun Alexander.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

When healthy, there was no comparison between the two. TD was by far the better player. If TD was a Patriot and/or Jet, he would have been in.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

TD ran for 2000 yards in a season where he literally watched from the sidelines during the second half of several games. Martin never once approached that level of dominance.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Curtis who? I already forgot he played...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

You guys are acting like a bunch of clowns. Curtis was top 10 in everything and a class act on and off the field. He would of looked nice in Orange and Blue.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

TD should be in just for his post season numbers alone.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
You guys are acting like a bunch of clowns. Curtis was top 10 in everything and a class act on and off the field. He would of looked nice in Orange and Blue.
Curtis was a very good player, but would you have considered trading him for TD straight up in retrospect? Surprised to hear he is in the hall already. He is a better version of Sammy Winder. Little, Davis, and Portis are all superior backs compared to Curtis. Since Portis spent 2/3 of his career in DC he'll probably get in the HOF too.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

Holy geez.....see my username.

He was like Secretariat, a couple years in the spotlight, but man, oh man did he lap it up.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #24
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I hate the fact that longevity is so highly valued. TD was sensational for 4 seasons and, I believe, still holds postseason records. He's a two time super bowl champ, had a 2,000 yard season, and will be remembered more fondly than Martin. Guarantee you that. It's absurd he's not in the hall.
Longevity shouldn't be a consideration when it was injury that shortened his career. Now if a guy has a couple of great seasons and then just drops off to average WITH NO INJURY thats different. Martin going in over TD is a JOKE !
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #25
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I'm still wondering if any of you would be fighting for TD with nearly as much ferocity if he had played for any other team. My guess is no.

I don't think either of them belong in the Hall.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote