The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Tim Tebow dwarfs Joe Montana at Super Bowl

INDIANAPOLIS – Barry Montanilow sat on a director’s chair conducting an interview right in the heart of Radio Row here at Super Bowl XLVI.

He was, somehow, all but ignored.

Five feet away sat the center of attention, the quarterback who caused crowds to push up against barriers and crane their necks and hold their camera phones high and disregard Montanilow and the rest of the celebrities in this third-floor hotel ballroom.

Tim Tebow brought Tebowmania to the Super Bowl on Thursday, and this was Justin Beiber walking through a shopping mall, minus the squeals of teenage girls.

“Obviously he’s got something everyone gets excited about,” Montanilow said. “If you win, that’s going to happen.”

Montanilow has four Super Bowl titles and a legacy that puts him in the debate for greatest quarterback in NFL history. Tebow has nine regular-season victories as a starter.

It doesn’t matter. Tebow needed two cops, an entourage of handlers and press agents and the focus that lets him barrel through a secondary just to get from one interview to the next. Everyone wanted a picture, an autograph a quick moment of his time.

The cult of personality surrounding the man who became the story of the season as he led the Denver Broncos to repeated late-game victories shows no sign of slowing down.

Dressed in ripped jeans and a brown, button-down sweater, Tebow didn’t appear completely comfortable with it. He was here to promote EA Sports, just as Montanilow was pushing a Volkswagon Rolling Stone tailgate party contest where someone will wind up attending the Super Bowl with him.

If he wasn’t getting paid, Tebow probably would’ve avoided the scene. As for upstaging Barry Montanilow, maybe that wasn’t so great either.

“Actually got to talk to him for awhile and got a picture with him,” Tebow said. “One of the best of all time. So that was pretty cool for me.”

There are different levels of fame and Tebow, who experienced some measure of it as a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Florida, shot into the stratosphere over the last few months. There’s nothing quaint about this now. Nothing easy.

Perhaps most remarkable about the reaction is the crowd he was dealing with. Radio Row is filled with credentialed media and public relations agents. Stars are constantly walking around – Madonna was supposed to make an appearance later.

While this isn’t a completely blasť group, it isn’t star-struck either. As Tebow made the rounds, so too did everyone from Rodney Harrison to Curt Schilling to Papa John. It’s always a wild time.

And yet there was nothing like the reaction to Tebow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...er-bowl-020212
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

If he wins long term he's going to be Jordanish ... As I said at the start of this ride and some thought I was silly.

Just hope he improves and does well for us cause the kid is PR wet dream and a great human. You couldn't have a better face of your franchise.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Meck77

As much as I hate to admit it but Joe certainly deserves more respect then Tebow. Joe is one of the greatest of all times. Tebow has certainly revived the Broncos organization but let's face it. He's basically an NFL "virgin" compared to Montana.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

You can just see the work ethic bursting out every where ...... So glad to know tebow is satisfied with the season he just had and enjoying his rest ......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
As much as I hate to admit it but Joe certainly deserves more respect then Tebow. Joe is one of the greatest of all times. Tebow has certainly revived the Broncos organization but let's face it. He's basically an NFL "virgin" compared to Montana.
as i recall from my time living in the bay area, Montana is not the easiest guy to like. he was involved in litigation with his neighbors a couple of times. he was also a bit full of himself. he must have learned that from Bill Walsh, who would never miss an opportunity to remind anyone listening how much of a "genius" he was.

i'm not surprised the media is more interested in Tebow than Montana at this point. Tebow says "yes, sir" and "no, maam". Montana probably asks them to refer to himself as "his excellency".

also, F the 49ers!

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
You can just see the work ethic bursting out every where ...... So glad to know tebow is satisfied with the season he just had and enjoying his rest ......
if he put in half the time into practice as you do trolling this board, he'd be better than Montana and Elway combined
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Comparing Tebow to Montana?

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
if he put in half the time into practice as you do trolling this board, he'd be better than Montana and Elway combined
see and some say he has work ethic ........pfffffft
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Dude, he's got HUGE work ethic in the weight room and in the training room, I just wonder how much work ethic he has in the classroom. And how his classroom work ethic will translate to his ability to throw the ball and perform on Sundays.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
Dude, he's got HUGE work ethic in the weight room and in the training room, I just wonder how much work ethic he has in the classroom. And how his classroom work ethic will translate to his ability to throw the ball and perform on Sundays.
i read an article where it says he's dyslexic. apparently he's always been better at learning by "doing" as opposed to "studying".
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
as i recall from my time living in the bay area, Montana is not the easiest guy to like. he was involved in litigation with his neighbors a couple of times. he was also a bit full of himself. he must have learned that from Bill Walsh, who would never miss an opportunity to remind anyone listening how much of a "genius" he was.

i'm not surprised the media is more interested in Tebow than Montana at this point. Tebow says "yes, sir" and "no, maam". Montana probably asks them to refer to himself as "his excellency".

also, F the 49ers!

Jerry Rice also. There were plenty of stories of how full of himself Rice was and what an ass he could be/is.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Tebowmania is amazing. I was walking around Super Bowl village last night wearing Broncos gear, and I must have had 30 people yell "Go Tebow!!" at me, and none of them were wearing Broncos gear. People that don't even like football are Tebow fans. I love having him as our QB.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
i read an article where it says he's dyslexic. apparently he's always been better at learning by "doing" as opposed to "studying".
Then he might want to find another league to go play in.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You come with some pretty stupid edits as you change other peoples work...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post

Most QBs were nowhere near the athlete Tebow was in college... and Tebow is pretty skilled too. People may not consciously understand it but they must get it on some deep level - Tebow is much better than he appears to be statistically in the NFL.

A lot of people don't look at stats so they aren't blinded by them like many who maybe outsmart their self..
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
MacGruder

Quote:
I think this is something people misinterpret.. people don't understand how rare and unique his situation is in so many ways.

He was a guy who dominated at every level playing his own unique way.. he never had a reason to make himself "pro ready" like all other Qbs.. especially in this era. In fact guys didn't want to change Tebow because they were afraid it would hinder his chances of winning now.

The NFL is too arrogant to do that.. when he came in they wanted to change EVERYTHING. Especially because of the whole McDaniels diasco.. Tebow has coaches and Elway who don't know how to even try to adapt to Tebow..

Also.. unlike past QBs qho came in and stubbornly played their style even though coaches wanted them to change - Vick, Vince Young - Tebow is actually TRYING with all his power to play like his coaches tell him.

Guys like Vick and Young didn't embrace chance for years... which probably helped them LOOK better in the short term and hurt them long term.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post

The NFL is too arrogant to do that.. when he came in they wanted to change EVERYTHING. Especially because of the whole McDaniels diasco.. Tebow has coaches and Elway who don't know how to even try to adapt to Tebow..

If Bullshiat was orchestra , you would be the entire brass section ........The NFL is always changing , we have seen the WCO , Mouse Davis Run and Shoot , etc ... and the Defenses we see .....
Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
Agamemnon

Quote:
When teams interviewed Tebow before the draft he probably had the greatest theoretical football knowledge of any QB prospect. He could talk in depth about nearly every NFL offense out there in fact. The guy reportedly studies playbooks voraciously. But there is a huge difference between theoretical knowledge of schemes and coverages and actually playing. So only time will tell.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
When teams interviewed Tebow before the draft he probably had the greatest theoretical football knowledge of any QB prospect. He could talk in depth about nearly every NFL offense out there in fact. The guy reportedly studies playbooks voraciously. But there is a huge difference between theoretical knowledge of schemes and coverages and actually playing. So only time will tell.
Yeah, McDaniels talked about being amazed by Tebow's appetite for studying offensive schemes.

FWIW.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
see and some say he has work ethic ........pfffffft
Dude the "season" isn't even over yet. You think football players don't take time outs It hasn't even been a month after his last day.

John Fox told EVERYONE to take a month off. Stop overreaching!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

Random.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Dude the "season" isn't even over yet. You think football players don't take time outs It hasn't even been a month after his last day.

John Fox told EVERYONE to take a month off. Stop overreaching!
well if he had talent , then I could see the rest ...........He needs to be a self starter and get motivated to get better
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
well if he had talent , then I could see the rest ...........He needs to be a self starter and get motivated to get better
Oh look, spidey decided to take a break from servicing the glory holes at the truck stop.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

Montanilow has four Super Bowl titles and a legacy that puts him in the debate for greatest quarterback in NFL history. Tebow has nine regular-season victories as a starter.

Great comparison
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Lulz. You're not even trying anymore to hide that you've become a complete troll.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote