The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default When The Crowds Are Gone...

It's downright scary to hear what these gladiators of the 70's and 80's are now experiencing as a result of the beatings they took not just on Sundays, but at practices as well. Being a rugby player of 25 years, my body is rarely 'right' anymore but I can imagine the trauma these guys are experiencing after even 10 years in the NFL.

Quote:
''They were hitting me, and I'd be squealing like a pig,'' Dorsett said, imitating the guttural sound. ''It was so bad that the other team was telling our coaches, 'Get him out of the game.' You know that something's wrong then. And like a fool, I stayed as long as I could. They're going to our sideline, telling our coaches, 'Get him out of the game!' ... You know it's bad when the opposition feels sorry for you.''

Other players describe an off-camera NFL that is darker than the carefully scripted show presented during Super Bowl week. Their recollections, based on playing careers that touched every decade from the 1960s to the 2000s, include:

''Midnight snack'' buffets at a team hotel the night before games that would allegedly consist not only of food and drink, but also painkillers so that, as Rory Graves, an Oakland Raiders offensive lineman from 1988-91, puts it, ''The next day, you feel like a kid. You could run into a car no pain! You didn't feel nothing.''
Quote:
A day-to-day, post-football existence that is difficult because of, for some, depression, dementia, migraine headaches, memory lapses, along with balky hips and knees and shoulders. ''My body hurts all the time,'' said Mark Duper, who caught more than 500 passes as a wide receiver with Dan Marino's Miami Dolphins from 1982-92. Duper is more concerned, though, about the ringing in his ears, the loss of memory, ''having a conversation and, all of a sudden, I just forget what I'm talking about.''

''I try not to take medicine. I don't want to be a zombie,'' Duper adds. ''What little left I've got in my brain, I want to keep it normal.''
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/t...cussion-020212
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Yes it sad, it has been for way too long, the NFL needs to do something about it but they only seem to care about the guys who where there when they hit the big money.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Yes it sad, it has been for way too long, the NFL needs to do something about it but they only seem to care about the guys who where there when they hit the big money.
To be fair, the NFLPA deserves a minimum of 50% of the blame. It is, after all, thier job to represent the players; but just like the owners, they don't seem to give a **** once you're done.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Jay3

Plus, the NFL has been getting serious on hits to the head for years (which will relate directly to mental performance later in life), and everybody gives them guff for it and says "That's football!"

Well then get rid of football. If it can't be played without some reasonable restraint on intentional blows to the head and neck, something's wrong with the game.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Stupid Puss cakes , back in my Day you just rubbed dirt on it and you was fine , didnt need all this time off sissy therapy stuff .......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
It's downright scary to hear what these gladiators of the 70's and 80's are now experiencing as a result of the beatings they took not just on Sundays, but at practices as well. Being a rugby player of 25 years, my body is rarely 'right' anymore but I can imagine the trauma these guys are experiencing after even 10 years in the NFL.
I wouldn't call them gladiators, they did it for free and fear of death if they failed.

Last edited by Pony Boy; 02-02-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

While I do think some tussin would work wonders, this is a serious problem.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I wouldn't call them gladiators, they did it for free and fear of death if they failed.
I wouldn't call them Gladiators either, these players supposedly played for the love of the game. Yes back then in the 60's and 70's players didn't get paid all that much, the 80's were better. But yes.. there was no plan for future medical issues much less retirement.

But calling them Gladiators makes it sound like they played against their will, Kill or be Killed.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
They did get paid actually, and many, if not most, did it for the fame and glory. Many slave gladiators made more money then being in the Roman army and many other professions of the free Roman. Also not as many matches ended in death as movies depict.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote