The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default HS Football is no better in TX...?

...than it is in CA, FL or anywhere else in the US.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...se-believe-not

Very interesting read that kinda debunks "conventional wisdom".

Establishing pipelines in TX, CA, FL, OH and PA is still my first priority in PS3 NCAA football
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,665
Default

Interesting article. Good read

Brings me back to a long conversation with another father at one of my boys baseball games last fall. He was from Dallas (which was obvious with all his cowboy garb) and the conversation went to Texas school football and California school baseball.

Is it better for your kids to play in a good high school program but small market area vs. one of these hotbed sports areas where it's practically a religion.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,565

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

What is funny is year in and year out Texas is in the top 5 in recruiting because of the in state talent and they can't win. Mack Brown is either the most over rated coach in college or it's the state of Texas HS players.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA (heart is in TX)
Posts: 3,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
What is funny is year in and year out Texas is in the top 5 in recruiting because of the in state talent and they can't win. Mack Brown is either the most over rated coach in college or it's the state of Texas HS players.
Let's make this clear, "Texas" should be referred to as "Texas University / TU." When you say "Texas" I think of my homestate, not the **** school.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

The best football recruiting is in the Southeastern US, a belt that includes Florida, Georgia, and the states that touch it.

Skill players and O-lineman can be had all over the country, depending on population. But for some reason, the big fast guys who can play defensive line and linebacker are found in this region.

There's a reason that the SEC keeps dominating the national championship, and a reason that coaches like Nick Saban set up shop here. There's an aspect that the southeastern region has that gives it an advantage over everywhere else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
CPA
Rookie
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Let's make this clear, "Texas" should be referred to as "Texas University / TU." When you say "Texas" I think of my homestate, not the **** school.

It's "UT", not "TU".
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The best football recruiting is in the Southeastern US, a belt that includes Florida, Georgia, and the states that touch it.

Skill players and O-lineman can be had all over the country, depending on population. But for some reason, the big fast guys who can play defensive line and linebacker are found in this region.

There's a reason that the SEC keeps dominating the national championship, and a reason that coaches like Nick Saban set up shop here. There's an aspect that the southeastern region has that gives it an advantage over everywhere else.
Read the article. That's conventional wisdom, but statistically speaking it's no better than anywhere else.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Read the article. That's conventional wisdom, but statistically speaking it's no better than anywhere else.
The methodology doesn't reach what I'm talking about. In fact, it doesn't even get in to how many prospects there are per capita. Just how many pre-identified prospects turn out on a scale of 1 to 5.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA (heart is in TX)
Posts: 3,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
It's "UT", not "TU".
Negative. "UT" assumes that the school is THE university of Texas, and it is not. Therefore, everyone else in the state calls it "TU."
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Let's make this clear, "Texas" should be referred to as "Texas University / TU." When you say "Texas" I think of my homestate, not the **** school.
Clearly you went to A&M and for that, I am very sorry.
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
What is funny is year in and year out Texas is in the top 5 in recruiting because of the in state talent and they can't win. Mack Brown is either the most over rated coach in college or it's the state of Texas HS players.
Can't win... right, because National Championships and BCS bowls don't count.


Last edited by hookemhess; 01-31-2012 at 11:16 AM..
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The best football recruiting is in the Southeastern US, a belt that includes Florida, Georgia, and the states that touch it.

Skill players and O-lineman can be had all over the country, depending on population. But for some reason, the big fast guys who can play defensive line and linebacker are found in this region.

There's a reason that the SEC keeps dominating the national championship, and a reason that coaches like Nick Saban set up shop here. There's an aspect that the southeastern region has that gives it an advantage over everywhere else.
Is there a reason why this is only a recent occurrence, then?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Let's make this clear, "Texas" should be referred to as "Texas University / TU." When you say "Texas" I think of my homestate, not the **** school.
Listen here hayseed, it's actually UT, the top institution in the state athletically and academically.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
Clearly you went to A&M and for that, I am very sorry.
Doubt hayseed has been to an institution of higher learning, or A&M for that matter.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA (heart is in TX)
Posts: 3,937
Default

It's amazing how the both of you immediately turned to derogatory names. How quickly you TU folks show your true colors.

I'm no aggie, but I definitely didn't go to TU. (this is an argument I constantly have with my bro-in-law who went there. )
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Is there a reason why this is only a recent occurrence, then?
Before the BCS Championship system, it was possible to win a championship without having to play the SEC Champion. The SEC teams beat up on each other, but now a one-loss SEC team usually gets to play in the championship game. The last time a team won the national championship by defeating an SEC in the championship game was Nebraska, 1995 season. By the way, Bear Bryant won a few championships back in the day.

There are certainly great players and teams outside the southeast. But there's a seeming statistical advantage in large, fast players on the defensive side of the ball, particularly pass rushers.

I'm not trying to smack talk on behalf of the SEC. I'm trying to articulate where the advantage seems to come from.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,256

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
It's "UT", not "TU".
That's too funny!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

The Sooners call Texas "Baja Oklahoma"
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
It's amazing how the both of you immediately turned to derogatory names. How quickly you TU folks show your true colors.

I'm no aggie, but I definitely didn't go to TU. (this is an argument I constantly have with my bro-in-law who went there. )
Please point out where I "turned to derogatory names."

Do me a favor, I'm having trouble making this out... will you please read the words on this seal?

hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The Sooners call Texas "Baja Oklahoma"
I'll take razzing from Sooners, because at least they sit at the same table as us (and oftentimes kick our ass). But who wants to live in Norman over Austin?

Last edited by hookemhess; 01-31-2012 at 03:36 PM..
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
I'll take razzing from Sooners, because at least they sit at the same table as us (and oftentimes kick our ass). But who wants to live in Norman over Austin?
Does anyone really "want" to live anywhere in the south?

/rimshot

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
Brewer
Seasoned Veteran
 
Brewer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I wasn't aware that there is anything at all that is good regarding Texas...
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
I wasn't aware that there is anything at all that is good regarding Texas...
Not a steak fan?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Not a steak fan?
Or good looking women? Or low cost of living? Or warm weather?
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Does anyone really "want" to live anywhere in the south?

/rimshot


I lived in Va and NC for 19 of the 30 years I have existed. Both were pretty awesome.

Even though when I lived in NC I was only 5 miles from snake handling Christians and high occurances of hillbillydom.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Denver Broncos