The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,085
Default Elway: Broncos are in the QB market

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1kyLDbOOC

"We will be in the market to find more quarterbacks,"

"That's our approach with Tim being our starter as we go to training camp, that we'll look at free agency and the draft."

Elway has said that he's looking for "the big athlete who can throw the ball from the pocket."

"Any free agent or anybody that comes in here when we start training camp is going to be competing for jobs."
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,476
Default

wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

the fact is that returning starters should only be #1 on the depth chart going into day #1 of training camp. after that, it's up to the player to prove he belongs there.

the NFL is a meritocracy.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,326

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

We should go with just Tebow next year or bust! He deserves it and bringing anyone in of any kind of quality in, even for depth, is an affront to his ability and a sign of the front office's lack of faith in him! If they sign or draft any QB for any reason, Tebow should request a trade to a Florida area team, preferably captained by Urban Meyer!

Sincerely,
Gator Fan
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer
 
ND Bronco Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 1,306
Default

Only 1 qb under contract for next year.....yeah they will be in the market
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,108

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

I like it. Elway is just being honest and he knows what it takes to win in the NFL. I want to see Tebow be that guy, but I'm just not sure if he can be that guy. I want him to be that guy, but I don't know IF he can be that guy.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,085
Default

The most interesting thing is Elway saying he's looking for the big athlete who can throw the ball from the pocket.

Not once has Elway said Tebow will be the starting in Game 1 of the regular season.

He's the starting going into training camp. Well, of course he is! He is the only QB on the roster.

Tebow can lose this position.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,303

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Durrrrrrrrrrrrr

How is this news?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,303

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We should go with just Tebow next year or bust! He deserves it and bringing anyone in of any kind of quality in, even for depth, is an affront to his ability and a sign of the front office's lack of faith in him! If they sign or draft any QB for any reason, Tebow should request a trade to a Florida area team, preferably captained by Urban Meyer!

Sincerely,
Gator Fan
To be fair, drafting a QB outside of a ridiculous slide is a ridiculous waste of finite resources.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,108

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Absolutely Tebow can lose the starting spot. He's simply got to get better at throwing the football. Just get his freaking completion % above 50%. I'm not asking for a 60%+ completion percentage but just get it above 50%, lets say 55-57% completion percentage, about 10 pecentage points higher than where he is now and I think the Broncos can win a SB with this kid.

However, will Tebow be able to do this?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Durrrrrrrrrrrrr

How is this news?
It's really the point of Elway specifying the type of QB he wants under center.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,326

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
To be fair, drafting a QB outside of a ridiculous slide is a ridiculous waste of finite resources.
It depends on what happens and what is there, but I generally agree. The fallout from the controversy alone wouldn't be worth it. That said, if someone falls to you and everyone else is off the board, you have to pull the trigger if you can't trade the pick away for a kings ransom.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,303

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It depends on what happens and what is there, but I generally agree. The fallout from the controversy alone wouldn't be worth it. That said, if someone falls to you and everyone else is off the board, you have to pull the trigger if you can't trade the pick away for a kings ransom.
Don't forget the sheer stupidity involved in just loading up on young QBs.

Let's enter next season with a roster of Tebow, rookie and Weber! That's sure to speed up their development!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Default

Elway is smart enough to know that the better the QB the shorter time rebuild is. It also sends a warning to Tebow lovers that wonder boy has to get better FAST not in 3 yrs. Who they bring in this offseason will tell how long a leash Tebow has whether you like it or not. I think Tebow has to play vastly better in 12 to stay here in 13.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 01-30-2012 at 02:47 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,647
Default

I'd have to agree with Rev on this. How is this news? We have 1 QB on the roster, and Weber on the PS. No kidding we are going to look at QB's.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
myMind
splinters reality until
 
myMind's Avatar
 
We Grok

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,556

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
The most interesting thing is Elway saying he's looking for the big athlete who can throw the ball from the pocket.

Not once has Elway said Tebow will be the starting in Game 1 of the regular season.

He's the starting going into training camp. Well, of course he is! He is the only QB on the roster.

Tebow can lose this position.
He can lose it, but he won't. Wait and see obviously, but Im always optimistic.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Not once has Elway said Tebow will be the starting in Game 1 of the regular season.
You do realize that Elway doesn't decide who starts, right? Could this be why we have never seen him name a starter? No! It must be that he hates Tebow!
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,354

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1kyLDbOOC

"We will be in the market to find more quarterbacks,"

"That's our approach with Tim being our starter as we go to training camp, that we'll look at free agency and the draft."

Elway has said that he's looking for "the big athlete who can throw the ball from the pocket."

"Any free agent or anybody that comes in here when we start training camp is going to be competing for jobs."
i am taking this as a more than likely we will see Nick Foles in the 2nd round.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Good. Keep the seat warm for Timmy. If he doesn't develop into a guy who can throw from the pocket he won't amount to much in this league long term.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,354

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Absolutely Tebow can lose the starting spot. He's simply got to get better at throwing the football. Just get his freaking completion % above 50%. I'm not asking for a 60%+ completion percentage but just get it above 50%, lets say 55-57% completion percentage, about 10 pecentage points higher than where he is now and I think the Broncos can win a SB with this kid.

However, will Tebow be able to do this?
honestly in todays NFL a team is not going to have long term success with a QB completing less than 60% of his passes.

i like Tebow and hope he puts an iron grip on the starting job, but to do that he needs to vastly improve his passing ability.

this team led by Fox is not going to anytime soon become s team that routinely throws it 30+ times a game, but 20-25 attempts a game is likely which means to be effective throwing the ball, Tim would need to be completing 12-15 passes a game. and really for an NFL QB a 60% completion percentage should not be something hard to come by.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
It's really the point of Elway specifying the type of QB he wants under center.
What's he supposed to say? "We're looking for great people with can-do attitudes who try really hard, bring intangibles to the field and can move really well but still have lots of work to do in the passing game."?

You're making something out of nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

[QUOTE=Shananahan;3480017]"We're looking for great people with can-do attitudes who try really hard, bring intangibles to the field and can move really well but still have lots of work to do in the passing game."?

[QUOTE]

And be a good Christian too who does wonderful stuff!
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
honestly in todays NFL a team is not going to have long term success with a QB completing less than 60% of his passes.

i like Tebow and hope he puts an iron grip on the starting job, but to do that he needs to vastly improve his passing ability.

this team led by Fox is not going to anytime soon become s team that routinely throws it 30+ times a game, but 20-25 attempts a game is likely which means to be effective throwing the ball, Tim would need to be completing 12-15 passes a game. and really for an NFL QB a 60% completion percentage should not be something hard to come by.

Eli Manning has a 58.4% career comp percentage. The year the Giants won the SB, he had a 56.1 comp percentage.

Not starting an argument, just pointing out that sometimes there are more factors than a completion %.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
What's he supposed to say? "We're looking for great people with can-do attitudes who try really hard, bring intangibles to the field and can move really well but still have lots of work to do in the passing game."?

You're making something out of nothing.
Definitely something out of nothing.

However, we had a discussion on another board several years back when Shanahan went into the season with only two QBs on the roster. I don't think it's a bad idea to just go into the season with 2 QBs and use the roster spot for something else.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

We need a vet not a rookie with the guys we have on our roster now.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,108

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
honestly in todays NFL a team is not going to have long term success with a QB completing less than 60% of his passes.

i like Tebow and hope he puts an iron grip on the starting job, but to do that he needs to vastly improve his passing ability.

this team led by Fox is not going to anytime soon become s team that routinely throws it 30+ times a game, but 20-25 attempts a game is likely which means to be effective throwing the ball, Tim would need to be completing 12-15 passes a game. and really for an NFL QB a 60% completion percentage should not be something hard to come by.
I agree for the most part but I think for TT to get to a 60% completion percentage is not going to be easy and you do realize that John By-God Elway has a NFL lifetime completion percentage of 56.9? Just saying...

It's all the fad now to say that a QB has to have a 60%+ completion percentage to be effective. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think it very much depends on the type of QB you have and the type of offense you run. There have been many good QBs with a completion percentage below 60%.

If the Broncos throw the ball 25 times a game, and TT connects on 14 of those passes then I think the Broncos win a lot of games, if the defense plays well too and the Broncos effectively rush the ball.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Denver Broncos