The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Is the Probowl still on?

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/s...pose-needs-one


I know its not the same as other all star games, but it is getting pretty meaningless

Should they even do it anymore?

Last edited by ludo21; 01-26-2012 at 10:53 AM..
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Moving it to before the Super Bowl was a dumb idea. That's all I have to say.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Would be more fun if they just did the skills challenges again.

Turn it into the carnival that it really is.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
KO5K
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Took a little longer to reach the obligatory Tim Tebow line in that article than I expected.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Would be more fun if they just did the skills challenges again.

Turn it into the carnival that it really is.
i agree, those were entertaining, especially during the long spring and summer break between football. They showd them on nfln

the oklahoma drill scoop is referring to would be dumb
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,519

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Moving it to before the Super Bowl was a dumb idea. That's all I have to say.
I think it's a good idea. People are still interested in football. After the Super Bowl, attention turns elsewhere...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,707

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Would be more fun if they just did the skills challenges again.

Turn it into the carnival that it really is.
I would watch Aaron Rodgers throwing a ball to a chesty starlit with long feathered hair. Or Tebow having to run an obstacle course with hot chicks on his tag team.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,707

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I think it's a good idea. People are still interested in football. After the Super Bowl, attention turns elsewhere...
I would like to see them try an exposition game between NFL all stars and College All stars like they used to. See if the top prospects can hang with the big boys pre draft.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I think it's a good idea. People are still interested in football. After the Super Bowl, attention turns elsewhere...
I agree. I'm not super into the pro bowl now, but if the Super Bowl is the climax of the season, it's weird having stuff after it.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
DarkHorse
RPM Racer
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley
Default

I'm usually done with football as soon as our season ends. When the draft stuff starts, i'm back in.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,602

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Would be more fun if they just did the skills challenges again.

Turn it into the carnival that it really is.

I am all about bringing back the "Beach flag football rookie game"

Signed,
Robert Edwards
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!
 
Goobzilla's Avatar
 
BA-ZING!!

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson
Default

I've got 9 grand on the AFC :-) Hope I get to keep my thumbs.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

I'm not sure if the ProBowl is still on, but I'm definitely beginning to wonder if the Super Bowl is still on (at least in my neck of the woods).

More than 200,000 DirecTV customers in Greater Boston have been cut off from channels 7 and 56 since Saturday, and they might miss the Super Bowl unless the satellite provider settles its dispute with the stations’ owner.

Florida-based Sunbeam Television Corp. - owner of WHDH-TV (Channel 7), WLVI-TV (Channel 56), and a sister Fox affiliate in Miami - blacked out its stations on the DirecTV service as it seeks an increase in “retransmission consent fees,’’ which are negotiated between TV stations and cable and satellite companies.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-1...irectv-service
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I'm not sure if the ProBowl is still on, but I'm definitely beginning to wonder if the Super Bowl is still on (at least in my neck of the woods).

More than 200,000 DirecTV customers in Greater Boston have been cut off from channels 7 and 56 since Saturday, and they might miss the Super Bowl unless the satellite provider settles its dispute with the stations’ owner.

Florida-based Sunbeam Television Corp. - owner of WHDH-TV (Channel 7), WLVI-TV (Channel 56), and a sister Fox affiliate in Miami - blacked out its stations on the DirecTV service as it seeks an increase in “retransmission consent fees,’’ which are negotiated between TV stations and cable and satellite companies.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-1...irectv-service
My radio station down here (South Florida) has been running a lot of cable TV commercials talking about how the dish people are screwing you by taking away the local channels. I can't see this lasting very long. The negative publicity is just going to continue to mount.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

I didn't think it would last either, based off of some past standoffs with FX, etc. that only lasted a day or so.......but we're already on week 3 of this blackout.

Good part for me so far is that it's only NBC and channel 56. I literally haven't had a need for either station (at least until the SB).
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I'm not sure if the ProBowl is still on, but I'm definitely beginning to wonder if the Super Bowl is still on (at least in my neck of the woods).

More than 200,000 DirecTV customers in Greater Boston have been cut off from channels 7 and 56 since Saturday, and they might miss the Super Bowl unless the satellite provider settles its dispute with the stations’ owner.

Florida-based Sunbeam Television Corp. - owner of WHDH-TV (Channel 7), WLVI-TV (Channel 56), and a sister Fox affiliate in Miami - blacked out its stations on the DirecTV service as it seeks an increase in “retransmission consent fees,’’ which are negotiated between TV stations and cable and satellite companies.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-1...irectv-service
Use rabbit ears ma-holes.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Use rabbit ears ma-holes.
Nah, I'll just go to my parents if need be. They have comcast and a nice 65" tv anyway.

This will be the first year in over 10 years though that I don't get to host a SB party, if they don't work this out. That sucks. I really like hosting it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,764

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Would be more fun if they just did the skills challenges again.

Turn it into the carnival that it really is.
They should do it like the old Battle of the Network Stars.

They just need to embrace the fact that football is a different sport than the others. There's more chance for injuries, so you aren't going to get a bunch of guys who want to go all out. And so, the product really suffers. I had a niece who goes to BYU-Hawaii. She's dead broke, like most college students. Yet, both years she's been there, she's gotten great seats for the Pro Bowl - for free. I guess radio stations, tv stations, businesses, etc have a hard time giving them all away there.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I do think they're doing well to allow in game tweets this year. It allows to at least make it entertaining if the players embrace it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer
 
Broncos4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
My radio station down here (South Florida) has been running a lot of cable TV commercials talking about how the dish people are screwing you by taking away the local channels. I can't see this lasting very long. The negative publicity is just going to continue to mount.
I work for a cable company. Dish is garbage. Direct TV is a step above, but once the weather goes bad(does where I live)and people see how bad the reception is, a lot of them drop satellite. Most of the people that have Direct TV only got it this past year for the Sunday Ticket anyway. Same with the current customers that b****ed about the new ones that got it for free. I never had Satellite before I worked for the company, and I never will.

The price it cost these companies to bring these towns and cities local channels has increased over the past 5 years. About 2 years ago it was 100% every year. Now it is expected to be 200% this year. Its pretty ridiculous, but this is another area where cable has the upper hand. They will pay the extra amount for those stations.
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Would be more fun if they just did the skills challenges again.

Turn it into the carnival that it really is.
the probowl is a snoozefest. it's not even football. it's touch football at best. they might as well play with flags.

i'd rather we turn back the clock to the mid-70's and have the Superstars show again. those were awesome, but the world was a bit more simple then. those guys NEEDED the paychecks they got for winning the Superstars competition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nfl
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #22
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
I work for a cable company. Dish is garbage. Direct TV is a step above, but once the weather goes bad(does where I live)and people see how bad the reception is, a lot of them drop satellite. Most of the people that have Direct TV only got it this past year for the Sunday Ticket anyway. Same with the current customers that b****ed about the new ones that got it for free. I never had Satellite before I worked for the company, and I never will.

The price it cost these companies to bring these towns and cities local channels has increased over the past 5 years. About 2 years ago it was 100% every year. Now it is expected to be 200% this year. Its pretty ridiculous, but this is another area where cable has the upper hand. They will pay the extra amount for those stations.
I looked into satellite after not having been around it in ~10 years. I called, asked if they still get blocked out by the rain, they said yes, and I said thanks but no thanks.

We can fly to the moon and back but can't manage to send television signal through the rain... amazing.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I looked into satellite after not having been around it in ~10 years. I called, asked if they still get blocked out by the rain, they said yes, and I said thanks but no thanks.

We can fly to the moon and back but can't manage to send television signal through the rain... amazing.
Whoever told you that is either a moron or just enjoys lying through their teeth. We had three legitimate blizzards last winter and I never lost my signal. Tropical storms? Same thing.

I've had directv for about 12 years now in two different houses, one completely surrounded by trees, and I've lost a signal maybe 5 times for no more than a few minutes each time. And the weather here can get brutal.

I don't think directv and dish network would have as many customers as they do, and get the satisfaction ratings they do, if they lost a signal every time it rained a little. It's just common sense.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,957
Default

Where's the Lingerie football league All Star game
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBen's Avatar
 
Go Broncos !!

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I'm usually done with football as soon as our season ends. When the draft stuff starts, i'm back in.
I'm the same way.. I might have the Pro-Bowl on while I am doing work in the Garage.

The SuperBowl is just a party with family and friends.. It would be great to have the Monday after a national holiday, most times I just take a vacation day.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Denver Broncos