The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default I wonder if this guy is a Bronco Fan

Maybe he would give me a pity trip to the moon?

http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exp...tml?c=y&page=1

Extraterrestrial Outfitter
If you're planning an off-world vacation, there's only one name to call: Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson is clear about his goal. “I’d like to go to space in the next five to 10 years,” he says. “I don’t want to wait.” He sits comfortably on a white leather couch in his office at Space Adventures in Vienna, Virginia, wearing a dark suit and open-collar shirt. A trim, fit man with a closely shaved head, he acts like he’s ready to go tomorrow. But wait he must, until he develops the net worth required to take his dream trip. That may explain why he’s working two high-profile jobs at once: chairman of Space Adventures, and president and CEO of Seattle-based Intentional Software. “Intentional actually could be worth billions and billions of dollars,” he says. “It could be my ticket.”

For the last 10 years, Anderson and Space Adventures have been brokering deals for well-heeled passengers to fly aboard Russian Soyuz spacecraft to the International Space Station. Now that those trips have become more or less routine, Anderson is primed for his own ride. And he’s ready to take Space Adventures to the next level—to the moon.

The idea of a private company sending paying passengers into space was outrageous in the late 1990s, when Anderson first floated the idea, but at least professional astronauts were already traveling there regularly at the time. No one has been to the moon since 1972, nor does any government space agency have a solid plan to return. No matter. To Anderson it’s just another challenge, like starting a space travel business in the first place, at the age of 23.

Eric Anderson grew up in the Denver suburb of Littleton, Colorado, the son of an Argentine mother and an American real estate investor. As a boy, he and his family made frequent excursions into the mountains, and he credits the view from the Rockies with sparking his passion for spaceflight. “There is little on Earth that is as beautiful as the night sky in the mountains of Colorado,” he says. There was more to it than that, of course: a steady diet of Star Trek and Star Wars, and a dad who was curious about the natural world. The young Anderson became a math whiz, jumping two to three years ahead of his classmates. By fifth grade he was writing computer programs on early Apple computers, and by his freshman year, Anderson had taken all the math classes his high school offered. He began making plans to attend the Air Force Academy, not far from home. His goal of becoming an astronaut came plummeting to Earth, though, when he was diagnosed with myopia. “That was a really big setback,” he recalls.

It wasn’t until after graduation from the University of Virginia with a degree in aerospace engineering, an internship with NASA, and finally a job writing software code for a company that did spacecraft modeling that another way to reach space occurred to Anderson.

Entrepreneur and fellow space enthusiast Peter Diamandis, who several years later created the X PRIZE to kick-start commercial spaceflight, introduced him to adventure travel operator Mike McDowell, who was sending customers on Arctic voyages and underwater trips in Russian submersibles. Together the three hashed out the initial idea for Space Adventures and ZERO-G Corporation, which would offer rides on aircraft that flew parabolic curves, producing brief bouts of weightlessness. Diamandis provided inspiration and a chunk of financing. “We scraped together $250,000 to start Space Adventures,” says Anderson. In 1998, the world’s first space tourism company was born.

More here:
http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exp...tml?c=y&page=1
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I love how you tie in your Gene Kranz Fan Club article with the Broncos. BTW, I love this quote:
"His goal of becoming an astronaut came plummeting to Earth, though, when he was diagnosed with myopia. “That was a really big setback,” he recalls."

Myopia? Well yes he is a Broncos fan and his name here is MacGruder.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I love how you tie in your Gene Kranz Fan Club article with the Broncos. BTW, I love this quote:
"His goal of becoming an astronaut came plummeting to Earth, though, when he was diagnosed with myopia. “That was a really big setback,” he recalls."

Myopia? Well yes he is a Broncos fan and his name here is MacGruder.
"As a boy, he and his family made frequent excursions into the mountains, and he credits the view from the Rockies with sparking his passion for spaceflight. “There is little on Earth that is as beautiful as the night sky in the mountains of Colorado,” he says"

I felt the same thing being up in the mountains of CO when I was a kid.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Apparently the most inhabitable body outside of Earth? Titan! Who knew. Lets all go.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Apparently the most inhabitable body outside of Earth? Titan! Who knew. Lets all go.
I think the next manned mission should go the moons of Jupiter and then eventually Saturn, they are colder and further away than Mars but have more potential for actually finding some form of life.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I think the next manned mission should go the moons of Jupiter and then eventually Saturn, they are colder and further away than Mars but have more potential for actually finding some form of "intelligent" life.
You just knocked out them hitting up the orange mane with this line.

Good read Steven, thanks for sharing.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote