The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos will need 7th coordinator in 7 seasons

Broncos may need 7th coordinator in 7 seasons

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Pro Football Writer 4 hours, 47 minutes ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—It’s become an annual rite of winter in the Rocky Mountains.

With Dennis Allen reportedly preparing to leave Denver to coach the Oakland Raiders, the Broncos may soon find themselves searching for a seventh defensive coordinator in seven seasons.

Other men who have filled the Mile High musical chair in the last six seasons are Larry Coyer (2006), Jim Bates (2007), Bob Slowik (2008), Mike Nolan (2009) and Don Martindale (2010).

The Broncos were hoping they had finally found some continuity with Allen. But the 39-year-old up-and-comer apparently impressed Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie, much as he dazzled Broncos coach John Fox a year ago when he landed his first coordinator job after rising through the ranks in New Orleans and Atlanta.

Possible replacements for Allen could include Broncos linebackers coach Richard Smith and former Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio.

Allen helped the Broncos rebound from a dismal 2010 season during which they finished at or near the bottom on most major defensive categories as they staggered to a franchise-worst 4-12 record.

Improving across the board under Allen despite a spate of injuries, most notably in nearly doubling their sack total to 41, the Broncos won the AFC West title and upset Pittsburgh in the playoffs before losing to New England.

The Raiders hadn’t discussed the Allen reports as of Wednesday, and the Broncos have been mum on the matter since reports surfaced Tuesday night that the Raiders and Allen were hammering out details of a contract.

At his season-ending news conference last week, however, Fox said Allen deserved the opportunity to interview for NFL head coaching jobs and he praised Allen for the work he did “with the lack of an offseason, a pretty radical change on defense going from the 3-4 to the 4-3.”

“So, I thought he did a tremendous job,” Fox said.

A week ago, it appeared the coordinator the Broncos would lose this offseason was Mike McCoy, who drew interest from the St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins, as well as the Raiders, for the work he did in adapting Denver’s offense midseason to fit the unique skill set of scrambling quarterback Tim Tebow.

The Rams and Raiders sought permission from the Broncos to speak with both of their coordinators, and Fox insisted losing one or both this offseason wouldn’t stunt the team’s progress.

“That’s my job, to bring in replacement coaches, if it were to get to that,” Fox said last week. “It’s no different than a year ago, when it was my job to hire them. Anytime you win, it’s a tribute to that success and you’re going to lose coaches and you’ve got to find good replacements.”

The leading in-house candidate is Smith, who previously served as defensive coordinator in Miami and Houston, and another strong possibility is Del Rio, who was fired as the Jaguars’ head coach in November.

Del Rio was Fox’s first defensive coordinator in Carolina in 2002, and he also left after one season, when he was hired by Jacksonville. His departure didn’t bother the Panthers, who promoted defensive line coach Mike Trgovac and went to the Super Bowl in 2003, losing 32-29 to New England on a last-second field goal.

As Broncos players cleared out their lockers last week, they praised the work Allen had done in quickly turning things around in Denver.

Star cornerback Champ Bailey said he was glad Allen was drawing interest from around the league, “but at the same time, to be selfish, I want him to be here because I want that stability.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...s-dcoordinator

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 01-25-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Agamemnon

It's pretty funny really. When we finally decide to stop firing our DC's the Raiders hire them.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

this really should be brought up in any discussion of Champ's place on all-time lists
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

faiders and pastriots are masters at taking from their competition...
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

So, what's the hold-up? Hasn't he been "about to take the job" since Monday?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
this really should be brought up in any discussion of Champ's place on all-time lists
Why? Champ is just put on the left side of the field and that is pretty much it. Why any team would bother putting their best WR over there is beyond me.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Why? Champ is just put on the left side of the field and that is pretty much it. Why any team would bother putting their best WR over there is beyond me.
^^^

Doesn't watch Bronco games.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
^^^

Doesn't watch Bronco games.
Then start watching more.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

wow, defensive coordinator for us is like the Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Allen scheme sucks against average to good QB's.
I am glad he is gone.
I hope he takes Mccoy also.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Allen scheme sucks against average to good QB's.
I am glad he is gone.
I hope he takes Mccoy also.
Yea.. I think its going to be easier for the Broncos to replace a DC (Allen) than if it was going to be the OC (McCoy).. Allen my turn out to be a good head coach, I read where Jack Del Rio did the same thing.. 1 year as a DC then 7 years as a head coach.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

For an 8-8 team, why are our coordinators in such high demand? We very well could be looking for new coodinators for both the offense and defense if McCoy hadn't overplayed his hand in MIA.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

So has Denver brought in anyone to interview yet? I'm liking the idea of trying to get Jack DelRio, but haven't heard much of anything yet.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
So has Denver brought in anyone to interview yet? I'm liking the idea of trying to get Jack DelRio, but haven't heard much of anything yet.
How can we interview anyone? Elway and Fox are busy joyriding all over the country.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
For an 8-8 team, why are our coordinators in such high demand? We very well could be looking for new coodinators for both the offense and defense if McCoy hadn't overplayed his hand in MIA.
Maybe its more like they want out of the "Tebow Situation".
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This is a serious problem. It pisses me off more than any other thing with the Broncos right now.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The reason there's been 7 diff DCs in the last 7 years is mainly due to a moron HC/GM in Shanahan who's ego smothered good judgement, the others are due to a bad Broncos front office hiring a HC who did not know how to manage people, and this last one is simply because Allen's stock is on the rise and he must give great interviews.

Bring in a front office and HC with some stability and this merry-go-round won't continue.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote