The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default OT:Business Travel Luggage

I am doing a lot more business travel and I need a good suitcase for that 3 to 5 day trip that I don't have to check. Looking for some suggestion and reviews. I would prefer something that could handle two suites.

PS - Yes this is an old man topic but trust me, one day you will be there too.

PSS - This has nothing to do with Tebow, so get out of my thread Mcburger
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

They make good durable stuff: http://www.ebags.com/
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I love my samsonite roller. It fits in he overhead and I can get enough dress clothes packed for 5 days. I do have to iron once I get there though.
Ray Finkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Watch and learn. For bonus points, learn about business cards.

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I love my samsonite roller. It fits in he overhead and I can get enough dress clothes packed for 5 days. I do have to iron once I get there though.
Pick up some Eagle Creek Packer and bags. It will help on the ironing big time.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post

Greatest douche chill clip ever!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Pick up some Eagle Creek Packer and bags. It will help on the ironing big time.
Thanks! Luckily my travel time hold be going down.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Greatest douche chill clip ever!
Two words: Karate Pants.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Two words: Karate Pants.
But they are American made
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

My card doesn't fit in a Rolodex because it doesn't BELONG in a Rolodex. I build crowds guaranteed! What do YOU do guaranteed?!

If that douche gave me that oversized self-absorbed business card I'd say "It's a good thing this doesn't crease, because I'm going to roll it up nice and tight, and shove it up your ass."
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

Back in the day, I used to travel an obscene amount - I hit Platinum Medallion (then the highest Delta frequent flier level - 100K Base Miles for the calendar year) one year on February 20th.

No luggage that I found was meant for that kind of action. And, as it turns out, no marriage was really meant for that kind of action, either. Fortunately, I quit in time to salvage mine (but not before 2 million frequent flier miles) - but it was close. But I digress - I'm digressing.

We had an American Tourister outlet by our house (I think American Tourister has since been bought by Samsonite). I bought their highest end luggage, which came with a really solid warranty. They were GREAT about replacing my luggage, no questions asked. I ended up caring a lot more about the warranties than the actual quality of the luggage - I just assumed the luggage was going to get trashed, no matter how well it was made. I would suggest going into a Samsonite store, and asking them straight up if they will replace damaged luggage. If they still do that (rather than sending it off - a pain in the butt that you don't have time for, if you are traveling frequently), then I would stick with them.

I feel for you. Flying has changed so much since I was a regular - mid to late-90's. I don't think I could do it now. The airlines used to bend over backwards to please us - we'd get every perk you could imagine. I talk to people who travel frequently now, and they all seem permanently cynical and angry.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Back in the day, I used to travel an obscene amount - I hit Platinum Medallion (then the highest Delta frequent flier level - 100K Base Miles for the calendar year) one year on February 20th.

No luggage that I found was meant for that kind of action. And, as it turns out, no marriage was really meant for that kind of action, either. Fortunately, I quit in time to salvage mine (but not before 2 million frequent flier miles) - but it was close. But I digress - I'm digressing.

We had an American Tourister outlet by our house (I think American Tourister has since been bought by Samsonite). I bought their highest end luggage, which came with a really solid warranty. They were GREAT about replacing my luggage, no questions asked. I ended up caring a lot more about the warranties than the actual quality of the luggage - I just assumed the luggage was going to get trashed, no matter how well it was made. I would suggest going into a Samsonite store, and asking them straight up if they will replace damaged luggage. If they still do that (rather than sending it off - a pain in the butt that you don't have time for, if you are traveling frequently), then I would stick with them.

I feel for you. Flying has changed so much since I was a regular - mid to late-90's. I don't think I could do it now. The airlines used to bend over backwards to please us - we'd get every perk you could imagine. I talk to people who travel frequently now, and they all seem permanently cynical and angry.

I think people underestimate the value of sleeping in your own bed and using your own bathroom. Thanks for the luggage suggestion. I might bite the bullet and get a Tumi (I have a couple for short and longer trips).
Old 01-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post

i hated business travel. it got to the point where i would refuse to go. fortunately, it wasn't required much in my job as an engineer. i did turn down a week in Tokyo once. there was ZERO appeal in 2 long flights across the IDL, plus a week in a country where the people chain smoke and eat snail vomit and monkey testicles as normal menu items.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Jay3

I apply the logic of "look what the pilots and flight attendants use." It's almost always the hard shell rollers that are small enough to carry on.

I used to load bags at Delta, and after you do that job you come away thinking the hardshell is the way to go (like Samsonite).

Also, Eagle Creek makes some great packing stuff. I've got a garment sleeve like this one: http://www.eaglecreek.com/product/Pa...search=garment (it holds a suit at least, plus shirts, etc.). I have on of the Pack-It folders that holds lots of shirts and slacks, and the compression reduces wrinkling. http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_so...cking_folders/

I use an Eagle Creek toiletry kit that packs flat (kits that are firm and big take up too much room). http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_so...ck-Trip-41082/

Another thing -- I carry a leather briefcase from Saddleback that expands and flattens as needed. It is my personal carry on, so it can supplement and help me carry extra items on the trip. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Cla...=8&category=83
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
I think people underestimate the value of sleeping in your own bed and using your own bathroom. Thanks for the luggage suggestion. I might bite the bullet and get a Tumi (I have a couple for short and longer trips).
Tumi, no doubt. My wife flew international for work and they located her luggage several times when it was somehow "misplaced" in Thailand and Hong Kong. Once flying from Miami to Dallas her luggage ended up in the phillipines! That GPS tracking comes in very handy!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Where is Dortoh to recommend a couple of trusty Walmart bags?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Tumi, no doubt. My wife flew international for work and they located her luggage several times when it was somehow "misplaced" in Thailand and Hong Kong. Once flying from Miami to Dallas her luggage ended up in the phillipines! That GPS tracking comes in very handy!
I think that I might bite the bullet and go Tumi. I have a couple of their bags (a bigger one for 2 week travel, smaller weekend bag, and garment bag) and they are extremely nice.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
I think that I might bite the bullet and go Tumi. I have a couple of their bags (a bigger one for 2 week travel, smaller weekend bag, and garment bag) and they are extremely nice.
Yeah, not cheap, but IMO worth it. There is an outlet store in Grapevine Tx she has gotten some luggage at. Much cheaper there for last years models.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Where is Dortoh to recommend a couple of trusty Walmart bags?
Walking back and forth from the 7-11 to get maddog isn't consider a business trip.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I have a samsonite and carry on. Just always arrive a day early or wear my suit if day of travel. Steam it using the hot shower method.

But I travel for no more than 3 days away.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Walking back and forth from the 7-11 to get maddog isn't consider a business trip.
It's Championship weekend, I bet he upgraded to Boon's Farm today.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote