The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default Elway: Tebow Has Earned Starting Role Going Into Next Season

Don't expect any changes at QB.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...-qb-going-camp
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
KO5K
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Sounds good at first glance but then you think about it and realise who else is going to be the starter going into camp?

Brady Quinn isn't going to suddenly leapfrog Tebow in the offseason.
They aren't going to put a rookie QB ahead of Tebow before either of them have even taking an OTA snap.

It's really a pointless statement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I think Tim has earned it, but what else was he gonna say? Theres not even another QB currently signed to the roster
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Yes, yes he has. Going into week 1 could be a different story though. I don't think a rookie out of the 2012 draft would beat him out of anything in camp but it's very possible a FA could.

It's all going to depend on who else they bring in.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
Sounds good at first glance but then you think about it and realise who else is going to be the starter going into camp?

Brady Quinn isn't going to suddenly leapfrog Tebow in the offseason.
They aren't going to put a rookie QB ahead of Tebow before either of them have even taking an OTA snap.

It's really a pointless statement.
Nah, Elway wouldn't have made it at a press conference if it wasn't intended to convey a specific message to the press.

It means that Tebow will get all of the offseason work as the starter...which is what he didnt get last year and what contributed to the necessity of basically building an offense on the fly.

It means they're giving Tebow a legit shot.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,243

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Elway didn't say Tebow earned the right to be the starting QB for the Broncos, he just said he earned the right to be the starting QB going into TC.

I hate to burst your bubble but what else is Elway going to say? IMHO, this is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Tebow, but more of an obvious answer to a stupid question. JMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Yes, yes he has. Going into week 1 could be a different story though. I don't think a rookie out of the 2012 draft would beat him out of anything in camp but it's very possible a FA could.

It's all going to depend on who else they bring in.
Nah, thats just wishful thinking on the part of the Tebow Hater contingent.

After what Tebow brought into the franchise this year, there's no way that Denver sits him for anyone but an NFL all-pro.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
tebowisdabomb
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Thanks Elway....
tebowisdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,140
Default

He will be the starter. Name me one decent FA QB that will want to come into Denver to compete with Tebow. Noone will want to deal with the nationwide fanfare. Best bet for competion would come from the draft.
May end up with a Jake Dellhome type on his last legs.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Nah, thats just wishful thinking on the part of the Tebow Hater contingent.

After what Tebow brought into the franchise this year, there's no way that Denver sits him for anyone but an NFL all-pro.
I love Tebow...That doesn't change the fact that Denver could very well sign a mid level FA QB with the intention of him being Tebow's back up...Only to have said FA outplay him in camp/NFLX and take the starting job.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
I love Tebow...That doesn't change the fact that Denver could very well sign a mid level FA QB with the intention of him being Tebow's back up...Only to have said FA outplay him in camp/NFLX and take the starting job.
You really think that has even a remote chance of happening again after what happened this last season?
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,859
Default

it's pointless to speculate on the QB position until after the draft. Tebow has earned the right to start training camp as the #1. but there will still be a competition and he still must prove himself. we have no idea yet who else will be on the roster by that time, so there's not much point in debating it now.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
I love Tebow...That doesn't change the fact that Denver could very well sign a mid level FA QB with the intention of him being Tebow's back up...Only to have said FA outplay him in camp/NFLX and take the starting job.
One, I think we're overanalyzing John's words a little bit. I doubt he would've made a big deal out of it during a press conference if he was secretly trying to hedge bets and leave wiggle room. The point of all this was clarity and direction in the offseason.

Two, I'd hope the coaching staff learned from camp this year that trying to have QB's 'compete' in camp while one works with the 1st team and the others work with the scrubs isn't really practical. There is no good way to have that kind of competition in camp, at least not at QB. Even if you could devise one, it would be nothing but a huge distraction for young team who needs to use every snap to learn how to play together. Besides, it's obvious they don't like the circus, and trying to reopen a camp QB competition would start the circus all over again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
You really think thats going to happen again after what happened this last season?
As I said in my OP...All depends on who they bring in.

BBT played it perfect pre-season IMO....As a Tebow fan, surely you agree? Or would you rather Tebow have started the first 5 games and got benched at the bye?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Can we bring in VY to backup Tebow, please?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Can we bring in VY to backup Tebow, please?
Josh Johnson is a much better option IMO.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac
 
Mile High Mojoe's Avatar
 
Load the Wagon

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Astoria, OR
Posts: 1,675

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Maybe this will finally slam the door shut on the idea that Tebow will be traded, he isn't going anywhere. That and maybe the idea of drafting a QB in the second or third round. Signing a free agent QB is the only thing that makes sense this year.

Last edited by Mile High Mojoe; 01-16-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
As I said in my OP...All depends on who they bring in.

BBT played it perfect pre-season IMO....As a Tebow fan, surely you agree? Or would you rather Tebow have started the first 5 games and got benched at the bye?
You people never quit do you. Those 5 games would've been different animals with Teebs. And even if it went down the same, you don't pull a rookie after 5 games the same way you pull a 7 year vet who's been helping your team lose for 2 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
As I said in my OP...All depends on who they bring in.

BBT played it perfect pre-season IMO....As a Tebow fan, surely you agree? Or would you rather Tebow have started the first 5 games and got benched at the bye?
As a Broncos fan it would have been much better if the coaching staff would have actually watched some tape on the Broncos over the past couple of years, understood what Orton was, and had the foresight enough to know that Tebow needed the reps and the attention in the offseason/preseason.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Denver724
Ring of Famer
 
Denver724's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Elway didn't say Tebow earned the right to be the starting QB for the Broncos, he just said he earned the right to be the starting QB going into TC.

I hate to burst your bubble but what else is Elway going to say? IMHO, this is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Tebow, but more of an obvious answer to a stupid question. JMHO.
We will bring in a FA that can start and draft a QB to develop. We will not be bringing in a QB strictly as a back-up. I mentioned who I thought we may look at and it wasn't real popular. I think Jason Campbell will be brought in to compete with Tebow. I would rather have him than Vince Young.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Denver724
Ring of Famer
 
Denver724's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Josh Johnson is a much better option IMO.
If we bring in Johnson I see him as a developmental guy. Almost like drafting a QB. I see us bringing in a more seasoned veteran.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
We will bring in a FA that can start and draft a QB to develop. We will not be bringing in a QB strictly as a back-up. I mentioned who I thought we may look at and it wasn't real popular. I think Jason Campbell will be brought in to compete with Tebow. I would rather have him than Vince Young.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You people never quit do you. Those 5 games would've been different animals with Teebs. And even if it went down the same, you don't pull a rookie after 5 games the same way you pull a 7 year vet who's been helping your team lose for 2 years.
John Fox knew exactly what he was doing and exactly what week the bye was coming. He handled it perfectly.

And while we can't be 100% sure....I find it highly doubtful that they bust out the zone read stuff 2-3 weeks into the season. So you have them trying to force a conventional offense on Tebow, while the D was still jelling under a new DC...Yeah, pretty sure Fox would've said **** this noise after a 1-4 or even 2-3 start.

Rookies get pulled all the time. They would've sold it as...Maybe we jumped the gun, no off season and all...We're going to protect the kid and continue to develop him.

As it is, I'm happy it went down the way it did. Kudos to Fox for that. And it pains me to give him credit for anything.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
Slightly Soiled
Angling for VP.
 
Slightly Soiled's Avatar
 
Mitt watch this!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No Dak
Posts: 104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gerald Willhite
Default

What I found amusing was the video on that page where the moron keeps yelling about how Denver had trouble filling seats.
Slightly Soiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
If we bring in Johnson I see him as a developmental guy. Almost like drafting a QB. I see us bringing in a more seasoned veteran.
He has been developing. What do you think he's been doing since they took Freeman in the first round? There are people around the league who think he'll make a fine starter for someone in 2012.

I think he's got the perfect skill set to be #2 / insurance for Tebow.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Denver Broncos