The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default Is it possible to avoid update until Sunday morning?

So, long story short, after our wonderful game against Buffalo, I made some family plans to go see a hockey game (an annual event). Lots of plans have been made and people are driving hours to be apart of the festivities.

Well...turns out that I just happen to pick out the exact moment that The Broncos will be playing the Patriots, in Foxboro, in a nationally televised playoff game, with the AFC Championship Game just one win away, and Tebow coming off his first ever playoff victory (Which I believe gives him a better winning percentage than Brady).

So I already have the DVR set, removed my Twitter feed from my phone, ignoring all text messages and phone calls, and staying away from anything showing the game or flashing scores.

So my question then is ... is it possible to avoid finding out anything until I can get the game watched Sunday morning?
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

No way, I've tried.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Totes, brah.

Sunglasses and earmuffs
Earmuffs and sunglasses

I was in Hong Kong over xmas and was able to watch the NE, Buff and KC games without anyone telling me didleedoo. That said, it's another part of the world. The trick is to not turn on the TV (or go to any general websites) and tell everyone around you they're dead if they speak of the broncos. Worked really well around the holidays.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Turd_Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
So, long story short, after our wonderful game against Buffalo, I made some family plans to go see a hockey game (an annual event). Lots of plans have been made and people are driving hours to be apart of the festivities.

Well...turns out that I just happen to pick out the exact moment that The Broncos will be playing the Patriots, in Foxboro, in a nationally televised playoff game, with the AFC Championship Game just one win away, and Tebow coming off his first ever playoff victory (Which I believe gives him a better winning percentage than Brady).

So I already have the DVR set, removed my Twitter feed from my phone, ignoring all text messages and phone calls, and staying away from anything showing the game or flashing scores.

So my question then is ... is it possible to avoid finding out anything until I can get the game watched Sunday morning?
I coach a high school hockey team and wouldn't you know it we have a game that night. So im debating watching the game on the bench on my Droid or counting on DVRing it and hoping some jack wad doesnt come bumbling up at the game and ruin it.

Last edited by Turd_Ferguson; 01-12-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
I coach a high school hockey team and wouldn't you know it we have a game that night. So im debating watching the game on the bench on my Droid or counting on DVRing it and hoping so jack wad doesnt come bumbling up at the game and ruin it.
****ty fans of the world UNITE!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:

I feel your pain. Although I was planning on hosting a freakin party at my house on the east coast and then I found out a few hours ago that I will be unable to be anywhere near a TV due to work related reasons 1 hr prior until sunday morning. I am turning off all electronic leashes at kickoff and watching the dvr as soon as I get home from my 18 hr day. ugh.

Best of luck to you. haha
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

No.

In fact, I would bet they show the score of the game at the hockey game. Good luck with that though.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
teknic

Watch it on your smartphone?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
No.

In fact, I would bet they show the score of the game at the hockey game. Good luck with that though.
I thought about that as well. My plan is to keep my eyes focused squarely on the ice and on my beer and nachos.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Armchair Bronco

If you're in North America or maybe even in the UK, then you're screwed.

Sorry, man.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
Watch it on your smartphone?
Not the same and pretty anti-social.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Agamemnon

Quote:

You'll probably need to avoid all human contact as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Jay3

I would just bail on everybody and let them down.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I would just bail on everybody and let them down.
Yeah, tell them you aren't feeling well. Say that you had some bad Mexican food and let them draw their own conclusions.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I would just disappoint your family!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Armchair Bronco

Is there a sports bar need the hockey game? Just drop 'em off at the arena, then head over to a sports bar and have some drinks.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
Jay3

As you leave the hockey game, say loudly that you have explosive diarrhea.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Don't wear any Broncos gear anywhere...i've had random people start talking to me about our win on Sunday almost every day since our win when i wore any of my gear...ditch your family man, just tell them you feel like ****. If they know you're a huge Broncos fan, they prolly wont have to think to hard to figure out what is going on. Good Luck!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
delany
Uber Bronco

Not possible. You are screwed.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Somebody nearby will say something, they'll show the score, you'll have to check it out. Unless you OD on some drugs there is no way you can avoid it.

I'm sorry dude you are too polite. The smartphone is antisocial? Doesn't your family know your passion? My family works around the Broncos. They know. Yours should see what a great guy you are while your team is playing you are at a hockey game with them. Check the smartphone.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
fwf

try and talk them into watching the broncos game with you instead. offer free beer and catering.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
Armchair Bronco

Get to the game, hand out the tickets, and just as you're at the turnstile, you realize that you've misplaced your ticket!

Damn! What a shame. Assuming the hockey game is a sellout, you'll have no choice but to watch the hockety game at the nearest sports bar.

Go there, and watch the Broncos game instead. Problem solved.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Speaking of being impolite, I'm totally blowing off a birthday dinner on Saturday and I don't feel bad about it in the least. Told the people I would meet up with them after the game.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

God speed my friend, I was in the same boat for a few seasons while working down in Florida. I made it work most weekends, but it meant cutting off any conversation with anyone who might know anything before it started. Typically with a" Dont tell me anything about the Broncos."...its only a minor hinderance...
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:

It's impossible for any game...

Heck in the 2006 world cup I missed the Sweden-England game (big Sweden fan) and had it on my comp. I couldn't even go one day in the Navy - when I first walked in on the ship and a friend who knew I was into Sweden came in with a huge grin "you want me to tell you what happened" .... "no" .... "well it's good." Literally 20 minutes later another coworker came into the office and said "isn't it amazing how Sweden tied it up for the upset in stoppage time."

There you go.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote