The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default OT TD — Just like they drew it up... at halftime

http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/0...p-at-halftime/

Great read up on the MaxDenver site. I was surprised to learn that the game winning play was drawn up by McCoy during halftime.

McCoy gets a lot of flack for his play-calling, but you gotta give him some props on this one.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

bout time he got some credit around here
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Archie
R Gang

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keith Bishop

Kind of like the Elway to Smith TD in the SB against the Falcons!! But, to win it all in OT, very sweet!
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
If we would throw more on 1st down and changed it up a little bit i wouldn't be so critical of him...we're pretty predictable.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
KO5K

The fact he has to draw that play up halfway through a playoff game isn't exactly inspiring.

To me it speaks volumes about his lack of creativity and the predictability of this offense out of certain formations.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
The fact he has to draw that play up halfway through a playoff game isn't exactly inspiring.

To me it speaks volumes about his lack of creativity and the predictability of this offense out of certain formations.
He adjusted to what the defense was doing.. is he supposed to hire a soothsayer before games to figure out how they're gonna play us?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post

They were running it on first down.... and winning. So McCoy drew up a play that would catch the Steelers off guard when we needed it the most.

McCoy has done a great job this year.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Bah... McCoy sucks.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
If we would throw more on 1st down and changed it up a little bit i wouldn't be so critical of him...we're pretty predictable.
I think the criticism to a point is quite warranted....however, he is playing to our strength. It would be like the Saints deciding that they needed to run more, even though its not what they do best

and dont be surprised if we start to incorporate more passing on different downs in the upcoming week....we've played it very tight to the vest since the Vikings game
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As I have mentioned, the Bronco offense could be very complex next year if they go away from so much of the conservative play calling next season. With a full training camp and maybe another weapon or 2, I can imagine the dilemma for defenses wondering about regular run plays, zone read, option, deep balls, screens, reverses, and the intermediate passes, which need the most work IMO. Defenses can't possibly prepare well for everything, so some things will be available in games. So I am interested to see what McCoy, assuming he is back, comes up with next season with more time to do more with this offense.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Butterscotch Stallion

Im glad it only took 17 games for mccoy to try PA on first down when many people on internet message boards had been asking for it for ten weeks.

he is revolutionary. soon, he will break out a screen. I think he is up to page 65 of football 101 now.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

He's great or he sucks. One of you two is a complete idiot because he can't be both. Or he might just be somewhere in the middle. Not as good as the one guy thinks and not as bad as the other guy thinks. I'll take somewhere in the middle for $500 Alex.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I also thought this part was interesting:

"Such adaptability has become routine for McCoy, who acknowledged in December that the unique nature of the Broncos’ read-option-heavy run game — and the ensuing inability to gauge anything about a defense’s potential reaction from film review — forced the Broncos to make in-game tactical tweaks."

"“With Tim (Tebow) playing quarterback, they’ve got to defend more than just your traditional offense,” McCoy said. “There’s a lot of things we’re going to do. Going into each week’s game plan, what you see on film the three or four weeks previously is probably not going to be what you see for the entire game.”"

This would seem to explain why they often look so vanilla at the beginning of the game. You run the conservative offense as a kind of trial balloon, see what the defense is going to give you, then make adjustments.

I also thought this was interesting because it seems to be quite different from what NFL offenses usually do: script the first 15 plays, etc.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

McCoy hasn't gotten any crap from me. He's done a brilliant job.

It's been stated before, and it's very simple... people on a football message board base play-calling purely on results. ("Did it work? No. Must have been a bad play-call.)

Meanwhile, we ran just as many times on first down Sunday as we have in past games.

McCoy deserves a medal for switching gears midseason and grinding out an offensive game plan that has allowed Tebow to win games.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Yes...which is exactly why the play worked so well.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

There are some OCs that make it too complex others that go for all technique and positional blocking strategies...I prefer the ones who like to pound down your throat till your sick of it and can't stand it anymore...you just want it to end like 85%a of the teams in the nfl. The playoffs add a win or die mentality to the game and mccoy did a great job disguising this last week. I like the grit and makes the game controllable from the player position (do your job and we win perspective) and turnovers are much more substantial. Nothing more beautiful than a team that has won in the minds of their opponents and tebow along with mccoy have orchestrated this to near perfection against an impressive number of teams this year.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 01-11-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch Stallion View Post
Im glad it only took 17 games for mccoy to try PA on first down when many people on internet message boards had been asking for it for ten weeks.

he is revolutionary. soon, he will break out a screen. I think he is up to page 65 of football 101 now.
Yeah, it only took us running on 22 of 23 first down opportunities against the Steelers to set up the pass in OT.

"OK, guys. Here's the game plan: we're gonna run the damn ball 95.6% of the time on 1st down, OK? We'll do that the entire game, see, and play for Overtime. Then, we'll win the coin toss in OT when Pittsburgh calls "Tails", and then we're gonna bust out our secret play - a pass on 1st down. Who's wit me?"

24 first down plays in the game...22 runs. That's really sad.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Yes...which is exactly why the play worked so well.
What if the game never went to overtime and the Steelers won it when it looked like they were setting up for the winning field goal?

McCoy doesn't get a pass because of the end result. Running the ball on 21 of 22 first downs is rarely acceptable and considering how pathetic our first down yardage was in that game, it was bad play calling.

The fact that that play out of that formation isn't even in the playbook is pretty worrying. That playbook must be incredibly short, maybe one play per formation which we can then repeat over and over again.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBronco View Post
http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/0...p-at-halftime/

Great read up on the MaxDenver site. I was surprised to learn that the game winning play was drawn up by McCoy during halftime.

McCoy gets a lot of flack for his play-calling, but you gotta give him some props on this one.
he had this play lined up at halftime, but held it back for the entire 2nd half. what the **** was he waiting for? had the defense not come up big at the end this play doesn't even matter because the Steelers would have won in regulation.

McCoy seemingly has a decent grasp on how to coordinate an offense and seems to possibly know how to draw up plays pretty well, but in the words of John Elway "pull the trigger!"

damn the guy needs to call some of these plays. you can draw up the most perfect plays in the world, but if you never call them, who gives a ****.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
he had this play lined up at halftime, but held it back for the entire 2nd half. what the **** was he waiting for? had the defense not come up big at the end this play doesn't even matter because the Steelers would have won in regulation.

McCoy seemingly has a decent grasp on how to coordinate an offense and seems to possibly know how to draw up plays pretty well, but in the words of John Elway "pull the trigger!"

damn the guy needs to call some of these plays. you can draw up the most perfect plays in the world, but if you never call them, who gives a ****.
Drawing up the play = good. Waiting til OT to try it = DUMB.

For that matter why the hell didn't they think of it BEFORE the game?

The fact that this is being brought up as a positive point for McCoy is very worrisome. Honestly?
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

It's been stated before, and it's very simple... people on a football message board base play-calling purely on results. ("Did it work? No. Must have been a bad play-call.)

Meanwhile, we ran just as many times on first down Sunday as we have in past games.

McCoy deserves a medal for switching gears midseason and grinding out an offensive game plan that has allowed Tebow to win games.
Seems to me, McCoy has played a masterful chess game so far.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

how about the bootleg that Fells took vertical when 43 recognized it? According to Profootballfocus.com,

Quote:
Sometimes true genius in terms of play design is in being able to take a play that is already an NFL staple because it usually works, and tweaking it ever so slightly so that it exploits the fact that defenses are used to recognizing and defending it. This is one such example, and easily ranks as one of my favorites of the season for the subtlety of its design.
link
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
They were running it on first down.... and winning. So McCoy drew up a play that would catch the Steelers off guard when we needed it the most.

McCoy has done a great job this year.
No they weren't winning anything on first down running plays and McCoy's play calling has sucked most of the year !
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
'Bout time he actually did a play action pass on 1st down.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I would expect this comment from Popps. Nothing is ever wrong with Broncos' coaching staffs....eva!

Funny he gets credit for this play as he drew it up in the locker room at halftime while we were yelling for it on the message board all game....for the last 12 weeks! We almost didnt get to see OT because of his first down plays is what almost killed us. I dont hate the guy but there are times where he deserves the criticism we post about at the Mane.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote