The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default The Patriots have given up 70 completions of 20+ yards!

Is that a shocking number to anyone else?

I'm trying to keep my expectations low - playing with the house's money, and all of that. But we were pounding them last game, until they made adjustments (and we started doing stupid stuff - so long, Quan Cosby - we hardly knew you). If Tebow could get going, like he did against Pittsburgh, we could match up pretty well. Stack the box, and take your chances. Or, don't - and take your chances.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...ference_in_qb/

The Tebow the Pats see now can hit the defense where it hurts most, in the air. And by that, we’re not talking about short dump passes. We’re not even talking about intermediate throws. Tebow is unable to hit either of those kinds of throws with any regularity.

We’re talking about the long ball. That’s Tebow’s ticket. And those deep passes are a threat, especially where the Patriots are concerned. All the defense did in the regular season was give up 70 completions of 20 or more yards.

(More at link - a pretty good column, actually!)
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

But but but they are getting chung and spikes back and and and...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
campocorto

I am surprised in the sense that Belichick has always taken a "bend but don't break" approach to his defense. Historically, he likes to force teams to methodically move the ball down field, converting third down after third down.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hopefully DT and Tebow keep developing that long ball. With this rushing attack, that will make this offense almost impossible to stop. I am very excited about the future.

I think we put up more points than last time. We just need to hope Brady doesn't drop 40 again.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

I'm telling you this is the number one reason the Broncos have a chance. I was at the skins/patriots game and the skins offense (yes them!) were moving at will on the patriots.

It comes to 3 keys

1) Don't turn the ball over
2) Don't play not to lose (do this against NE, and you are done!)
3) Limit total possessions, i.e., control the game with sustained drives. (This is the one I am most worried about. If the Broncos do not do this; this game will turn out exactly like all those embarrassing playoff losses against the Colts under Shanahan)
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I'm telling you this is the number one reason the Broncos have a chance. I was at the skins/patriots game and the skins offense (yes them!) were moving at will on the patriots.

It comes to 3 keys

3) Limit total possessions, i.e., control the game with sustained drives. (This is the one I am most worried about. If the Broncos do not do this; this game will turn out exactly like all those embarrassing playoff losses against the Colts under Shanahan)
Problem is #'s 2 and 3 are a tough balance and sometimes contradictory. In some cases #2 dictates that you have to take easy points instead of grinding the clock. If the Pats stack the line, we may have no choice but to go for the big play over the top. If we keep running into a brick wall in the name of eating the clock, we end up accomplishing nothing. At the end of the day, if they're giving you points you take the points and give them the ball.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Problem is #'s 2 and 3 are a tough balance and sometimes contradictory. In some cases #2 dictates that you have to take easy points instead of grinding the clock. If the Pats stack the line, we may have no choice but to go for the big play over the top. If we keep running into a brick wall in the name of eating the clock, we end up accomplishing nothing. At the end of the day, if they're giving you points you take the points and give them the ball.
point taken. I guess what I was trying to say is have the balance.

The steelers got back in the game because Fox can't handle a lead lol.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

their run defense isn't much better than their pass defense is...we lost McGahee in 2nd qtr too...he was averaging 10 yards per carry...Broncos ran for 252 yards overall in that game....without those turnovers i think we beat them soundly.

Run the ball, control the clock... cuz no QB can beat you from the sidelines.

Pressure Brady...he's no better than any other QB when he's getting hit on every drop back...in fact send a few "remember me" pops on him....especially early in the game.

No turnovers or at the least win the turnover battle....

Pull the trigger Tim...you've proven you can do it against a much better D than this one you're facing on Saturday.....

Win the field position game with ST's...

And put someone that can cover on Gronkowski...he is one of their biggest playmakers, and will be beat you if you don't account for him.

I think we come out running and the defense makes a couple of big plays as Miller is healthier and Ayers seems to be getting his **** together....and if Tebow "pulls the trigger" early and often enough, we should jump out to a good lead, and hang on for a 27-24 win.....but it'd be even better if they act as arrogant as Steelers did and Tebow pulls it out in 4th qtr...either way, we're off to play for the AFC title
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The Tebow the Pats see now can hit the defense where it hurts most, in the air. And by that, we’re not talking about short dump passes. We’re not even talking about intermediate throws. Tebow is unable to hit either of those kinds of throws with any regularity.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I don't know if we beat them, but we can grind out at least 300 on the ground, keep Brady on the bench for long stretches we're going to have a great shot at it!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I don't know if we beat them, but we can grind out at least 300 on the ground, keep Brady on the bench for long stretches we're going to have a great shot at it!
"At least" 300 on the ground? We didn't manage that in a game where we had 150+ in a single quarter. I seriously doubt we catch them so off guard this time around, and even if we do 300 yards rushing in a game is hard as **** to do.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
OrangeSe7en

Quote:

It comes to 3 keys

Another one is, score TDs and hold them to FGs.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
point taken. I guess what I was trying to say is have the balance.

The steelers got back in the game because Fox can't handle a lead lol.
Yeah, the turtle shell approach can only hold out for so long. Then again we did squander some pretty golden opportunities to ice that game.

I'm sure both Willis and Champ felt a huge weight lifted when DT crossed the finish line.