The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default Top 10 Bronco post-season games

let's list them...here's what I've got:
  1. SBXXXII (1997): Broncos first world championship, We win 31-24.
  2. SBXXXIII (1998): Broncos win it all...again.
  3. The Drive (1986): Elway leads Broncos 98 yards for the tying TD to put Broncos in the SB.
  4. AFCCG vs oak (1977): we win 20-17. This was before my time, but I understand that this was a magical game and put the Broncos on the map.
  5. Hailmaryius (2011): Tebow connects with Demaryius Thomas for a 80 yard TD to win the game in OT.
  6. DriveII (1991): Elway leads Broncos from the 2 in waning minutes for the go-ahead FG.
  7. Fumble (1987): Jeremiah Castille strips Earnest Byner as he was about to score the winning TD. Play put the Broncos in the SB.
  8. AFCCG vs Pitt (1997): Denver clung to a 24-21 lead, closed out the game with a 3rd down conversion from Elway to Sharpe. Victory put Broncos in SB.
  9. AFC playoff game vs NE (2005): Champ picks Brady, nearly returns for a TD.
  10. AFC playoff win vs KC (1997): second stop on revenge tour. Nothing like a playoff victory in a division rivals house!

There are a few other games that didn't have quite the drama or importance as the above...AFCCG vs NYJ in 1998 (Elways last home game) was a very important game, but wasn't really that great of a game and didn't really have the high drama. 1997 vs JAX revenge game was great to dominate so completely, but again wasn't all that dramatic. 1989 win vs Pit probably should be on the list as we won 24-23...frankly I don't have a clear memory of this game, for some reason it doesn't stand out to me. If someone wants to put this game up there, that's fine. There's the Steeler game in 1977 also...before my time.

Folks, games like the above are why we are Bronco fans. This is what it's all about.

Last edited by mwill07; 01-11-2012 at 10:13 AM..
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

That's a solid list. I smell another top 5 moment this Saturday!
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Your list is great, but 2 things:

1. The 05 New England game would be ranked higher on my list. That win essentially ended the New England dynasty.

2. AFC playoff game vs NE (2005): Champ picks Brady, Tackled at the 1. Next play MA rushes for a TD.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Your list is great, but 2 things:

1. The 05 New England game would be ranked higher on my list. That win essentially ended the New England dynasty.

2. AFC playoff game vs NE (2005): Champ picks Brady, Tackled at the 1. Next play MA rushes for a TD.
1. I could see that...it was a pretty dramatic game too, and was our first taste of success w/o Elway.

2. Lol, fixed.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran

Pretty solid list.
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
canadianbroncosfan

Looks great however I will agree with Shay that the game against the Pats would be higher. Also worth mention what makes our first one SO great is that we were also 14 point underdogs to the Fudge Packers
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran

I have a rather poor copy of that 77 Steeler game. It's interesting. "Mean" Joe Greene sucker punched Broncos OL Paul Howard in the stomach in the 2nd quarter, to the point that Howard had to come out of the game. No flag. He then tried to do the same to the guy who replaced Howard (don't recall his name). Mile High was chanting "WE WANT GREENE" as the teams went in for halftime. I guess they wanted to kill him?
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Just my preference but I might put the 77 AFCC game against Oak in front of the Drive. A really amazing game and feeling afterward.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

SBXXXII (1997): Broncos first world championship, We win 31-24.
SBXXXIII (1998): Broncos win it all...again.
The Drive (1986): Elway leads Broncos 98 yards for the tying TD to put Broncos in the SB.
AFCCG vs oak (1977): we win 20-17. This was before my time, but I understand that this was a magical game and put the Broncos on the map.
AFCCG vs Pitt (1997): Denver clung to a 24-21 lead, closed out the game with a 3rd down conversion from Elway to Sharpe. Victory put Broncos in SB.
DriveII (1991): Elway leads Broncos from the 2 in waning minutes for the go-ahead FG.
Fumble (1987): Jeremiah Castille strips Earnest Byner as he was about to score the winning TD. Play put the Broncos in the SB.
AFC playoff win vs KC (1997): second stop on revenge tour. Nothing like a playoff victory in a division rivals house!
AFC playoff game vs NE (2005): Champ picks Brady, nearly returns for a TD.

Honorable mention:
(2011): Tebow connects with Demaryius Thomas for a 80 yard TD to win the game in OT.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Just my preference but I might put the 77 AFCC game against Oak in front of the Drive. A really amazing game and feeling afterward.
This was huge as Raiders owned us for almost 2 decades. The game that is missing but maybe honorable mention (but I would replace the Chiefs revenge tour game) is the Oilers game that Elway couldnt do much on the final drive except two awesome 4th downs where he ran the first time and then pulled back from the line on the 2nd fourth down and shotputted a pass to Vance Johnson to set up the winning field goal. Patriots win for the 2005 season was great but not deserving to be up there IMO.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
OrangeSe7en

I think the 97 game at Arrowhead should be higher. I think that's a very underrated victory. It was probably the sweetest of the Revenge Tour games. I also think Gordon deflecting the pass at the end is very underrated.

Also, I'd put this past weekends game over the NE win in 05. I expected to beat NE that game. I didn't really expect to beat Pittsburgh. Also, this has been one of the funnest seasons I can remember,...certainly it's been the most fun since the 90s even though there have been seasons where we were better since then. I feel to, sort of, validate the season we've had this year, that have been an amazing display of resiliency, we had to do it at least once in the post season.

Another win, that I think is often underrated, because it preceded "the Drive" was the victory against New England where Rulon Jones seeled the outcome by coming up with a sack.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Our 1986 Divisional win over New England would rate higher on my list than the 2005 Divisional game. MUCH more suspense. We were playing the defending AFC Champ Patriots as well then.

Elway badly injured his ankle yet returned for a heroic second half. And the game was still completely up for grabs until Rulon Jones Safety late in the game, one of the greatest defensive plays in Denver history!!

The 2005 Patriots game did not have as much suspense for me.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
This was huge as Raiders owned us for almost 2 decades. The game that is missing but maybe honorable mention (but I would replace the Chiefs revenge tour game) is the Oilers game that Elway couldnt do much on the final drive except two awesome 4th downs where he ran the first time and then pulled back from the line on the 2nd fourth down and shotputted a pass to Vance Johnson to set up the winning field goal. Patriots win for the 2005 season was great but not deserving to be up there IMO.
No, that's there...DriveII was that game.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
January 13, 1991 Broncos beat the Oilers 26-23 thanks to John marching the team from the Broncos 2 yard line with 2:07 to go to a game winning 28 yard field goal. During the drive he converted two fourth downs - a 4th and 6 rushing the ball himself for 7 yards and a 4th and 10 connecting with Vance for 44.

That game should be in the top ten somewhere IMO.
Drive II.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Drive II.
My bad. Deleted it but not before I was quoted. Damn.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Drive II.
I think the problem is that you have what most refer to as Drive II as the Fumble. I was thinking the same thing the other two were.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

You know what is great? We can bicker about which games should and should not be included in the top 10... We have had some great games that won't make the list.

SD would have no problems here, their franchise has only 10 playoff wins all time.

KC is still waiting to get to that level, only 8 post-season wins all time.

Broncos have just as many post-season victories as KC and SD put together!