The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default It's time for Fox to have faith in Tebow

It's time for Fox to have faith in Tebow


Jen Floyd Engel
Updated Jan 2, 2012 2:49 AM ET



"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods." — C.S. Lewis.




This whole Broncos season has been about faith, "leaps of" and "keeping the" and mostly "putting theirs in," a phenomenon that defied logical football explanation, and oftentimes was done in spite of mounting evidence that such belief was folly.


Whatever you think of Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow, two incontrovertible facts remain:


1. The Broncos were a bad football team without a chance in hell of the playoffs before taking a leap of faith and starting him.


2. That faith has been rewarded in a playoff berth.*


Faith is a funny thing, though. Like a thought, it is easily lost, as was demonstrated Sunday in Denver.


Broncos coach John Fox played a coward's game in a 7-3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. He never has seemed to particularly like the idea of Tebow as his quarterback, famously telling NFL.com "if we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed."


The wins only seemed to chip at this belief slightly. Sunday, though, with a playoff berth on the line, Fox called plays like he does not believe his quarterback can throw. He coached like his team was screwed. He coached like he did not have faith in his quarterback.


If Fox does not, he should not play Tebow in Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.


And if Fox does not believe, he is an idiot.*


My stance on Tebow has not changed all season. I do not know if he will be a great quarterback, or even a good one. What I know is he has an intangible that defies explanations. He finds ways to win. And I would not bet against him.


Let me add this to my list: If Tebow is your quarterback, you have to give him a game plan with a chance of success.


And this brings us back to faith. If Denver is to have any chance Sunday against Pittsburgh, Fox has to display faith in Tebow even though current conditions would suggest against doing so. Let's be real, Tebow was awful Sunday. They lost to an awful Chiefs team because he was somehow worse. Tebowmania became Tebowmelancholia rather quickly.


It was not new. The Broncos are losers of their past three games in large part because Tebow is 30 for 73 with one touchdown pass.


As my mom loved to say, faith isn't faith until it is all you are holding onto — which, coincidentally, is exactly where the Broncos find themselves after crawfishing into the playoffs.


The Chiefs were horrible. The Broncos were worse. And the Raiders were themselves in losing to the Chargers.


Only Oakland ineptitude allowed Denver in, and always-honest Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey properly summed up chances of success based on what was displayed Sunday.


"For us to go out there and play like we did and expect to do anything in the playoffs, it's not going to cut it," Bailey said. "We have to find a way to get better."


“What has to improve?” Bailey was asked, even though the answer was as obvious as it was unlikely to be verbalized.


"Everything," Bailey continued. "When we look at our team, we can't say 'This is our strength' because everything is mediocre. It's got to get better. If you want to make any kind of fuss in the playoffs, we have to get better."


It was at this point Broncos public relations booted the media from the locker room. The Oakland loss had just become official and Fox wanted to address his team. What he probably told them was, "Everything Champ said, do not say that," because upon our reentry there was a lot of talk about how making the tournament is a big deal and it does not matter how they got in and how they have a chance.


"Absolutely," Broncos linebacker Mario Haggan said. "If I do not believe that, then I should not play next week."



Somebody needs to tattoo this on Fox's butt. Coach like you have a chance to win.


The essence of football — sports, really — is belief that the impossible is possible. This is how the four-minute mile was run, how the Mavericks beat the Heat, how the Cardinals won the World Series.


The Broncos' problem may indeed be the quarterback. It is not the only problem or the biggest at the moment.


That is Fox himself. So Tebow has been bad lately? What are the Broncos going to do? Tuck their tails and run into eight-man fronts to no avail and lose 7-3? Or is he going to put his tee in the ground and take a whack?


The truth is Bailey was wrong. The Broncos are not mediocre at everything. It was hard to tell from Sunday, but this defense is damn good. They came up with big plays in what everybody calls TebowTime to give Tebow a chance for his patented magic. And Broncos running back Willis McGahee has been in absolute beast mode despite facing eight men in the box.


The cheap second guess is to say "What if Denver had a better quarterback?" Which is funny because the Broncos did, or at least one many like to pretend is better in Kyle Orton, and they were worse. You cannot explain it, but this team got better under Tebow. Orton was across the line of scrimmage Sunday, playing for KC, thus leading to comparisons. The accuracy and look of the passes were better, as were his numbers: 15 of 29 for 180 yards, vs. Tebow's 6 of 22 for 60 yards.


But the Broncos have won with Tebow. The players know this, too, as crazy as it probably is to them as well.



"We have to believe in Tim Tebow," defensive end Elvis Dumervil said.


Belief is not easy. Oh sure, it is easy when the Broncos were winning and during the fourth-quarter comebacks and when the W's rolled up. It is not as easy now as he struggles to complete even the safe stuff, as his usual magic runs were swallowed by a patient Chiefs defense that had the good sense just to wait for him to come to them.


It is not easy to believe. Cynicism is our religion. Mocking tweets began as soon as the game ended.


The cynicism that is killing them is coming from their coach. You cannot win in this league if you do not have faith in your quarterback. You certainly cannot if you coach like a coward.


You have to coach like you believe your team is capable of greatness. And if you cannot do that, you need to try just having a little faith.




*Two quick addendums:

(1) Making the playoffs is not a small thing. It is an accomplishment however you get in because not everybody does. It is easy to dismiss the Broncos and they may indeed get rolled. But they have a chance, which is more than a lot of other teams can say.


(2) Idiot may seem harsh. But if Fox does not appreciate that Tebow is a big reason why the Broncos are in the playoffs, this applies. The reality is they became a playoff team with him. They started winning once he played. To dismiss this as a coincidence is idiotic and reeks of an agenda.




http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/T...terback-010112
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,078
Default

Its time for Tebow to have faith in Tebow, he looks scared to throw it down the field after those INTs.

I do think we will give him more throws because Pitt is going to make it hard to run. He is going to have to have more faith in himself and more confidence throwing the football because he seems lost at times, and the playcalling has to get more creative.

We got a chance to beat the Steelers hopefully we can come up with a good gameplan because Pitt does have issues.

Last edited by KevinJames; 01-02-2012 at 05:11 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep
 
Bronco_Beerslug's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas Riviera, Southern Mountains
Posts: 24,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
He never has seemed to particularly like the idea of Tebow as his quarterback, famously telling NFL.com "if we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed.
Can't argue with that considering he can't run any offense the last few weeks.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer
 
Jesterhole's Avatar
 
Ridin' the McFailboat...

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Default

Look, with the play calling as terrible as it was yesterday, what did you expect? Guys like Tebow need to get into a groove to play well. How many offensive series would he go out there and not even get a pass play called? They didn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter until the very last drive. By then, it was too late.

McCoy deserves most of the blame for the loss yesterday. If he remains on the staff, we might as well trade Tebow, because McCoy's middle school style offense isn't going to let him develop.

Oh, and Decker and Willis completely let down Tebow AGAIN, and no one mentions it.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Look, with the play calling as terrible as it was yesterday, what did you expect? Guys like Tebow need to get into a groove to play well. How many offensive series would he go out there and not even get a pass play called? They didn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter until the very last drive. By then, it was too late.

McCoy deserves most of the blame for the loss yesterday. If he remains on the staff, we might as well trade Tebow, because McCoy's middle school style offense isn't going to let him develop.

Oh, and Decker and Willis completely let down Tebow AGAIN, and no one mentions it.
Yeah no one here ever blames the receivers. Cmon man. Tebow played like dog**** yesterday. It doesn't matter how conservative a game plan is if the quarterback can't complete a pass.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Don't people understand that the defense and run game look great BECAUSE of Tebow?

The run game looks good because of the pressure Tebow creates running the ball.

So this allows Fox to run the ball so successfully. Fox running the ball is what allows the Broncos D to rest and also takes the opposing offense out of rhythm.

So if Fox let's Tebow open it up.. guess what... then the Broncos D dramatically deteriorates. And because the Broncos have such a weak offense they end up getting screwed again because they don't have the fire power for a shoot out.

It's not the Tebow that has been exposed.. it's the whole offense. Tebow just masked that.

But imagine if Tebow actually had some really good runningbacks.. imagine if McGahee could play like he did earlier in the season all season without getting injured. Imagine if the Broncos had a better 1st string runner with someone like McGahee as backup... The Broncos run game would be unstoppable with Tebow. And this would open the passing game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Look, with the play calling as terrible as it was yesterday, what did you expect? Guys like Tebow need to get into a groove to play well. How many offensive series would he go out there and not even get a pass play called? They didn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter until the very last drive. By then, it was too late.

McCoy deserves most of the blame for the loss yesterday. If he remains on the staff, we might as well trade Tebow, because McCoy's middle school style offense isn't going to let him develop.

Oh, and Decker and Willis completely let down Tebow AGAIN, and no one mentions it.




Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,643

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

It's time to realize Tebow is not going to make is as a QB in the NFL.
I'm a big fan of his, but what I've seen so far, tells my guts that he's not what I thought he would be.

Unless you've seen something different all season, then explain to me why I may be wrong...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Broncbow
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Look, with the play calling as terrible as it was yesterday, what did you expect? Guys like Tebow need to get into a groove to play well. How many offensive series would he go out there and not even get a pass play called? They didn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter until the very last drive. By then, it was too late.

McCoy deserves most of the blame for the loss yesterday. If he remains on the staff, we might as well trade Tebow, because McCoy's middle school style offense isn't going to let him develop.

Oh, and Decker and Willis completely let down Tebow AGAIN, and no one mentions it.
^This
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Receivers dropping balls might be a result of them not into any kind of rhythm offensively either. Teams like the Packers, Lions, and the Pats who use the passing game more than the run usually do not have a big problem with dropped balls, especially late in games.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
It's time to realize Tebow is not going to make is as a QB in the NFL.
I'm a big fan of his, but what I've seen so far, tells my guts that he's not what I thought he would be.

Unless you've seen something different all season, then explain to me why I may be wrong...

You are wrong because Fox makes all QBs look terrible.. add that to the fact that Tebow LOOKS bad but is highly effective and you have Tebow LOOKING terrible yet has his team in the playoffs.

Look at Vince Young's stats his first season.. it was a lot like Tebow... Now yes Vicne isn't a QB.. but he also isn't Tebow. Vince's problems were his mental issues and lack of work ethic and leadership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,979

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I think if we get a new coach, Tebow will start connecting on all of his passes.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think if we get a new coach, Tebow will start connecting on all of his passes.








Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Hell.. Tebow was much better even under Studesville.

If McD was still coach Brandon Lloyd probably wouldn't have asked to be traded... If Tebow had Lloyd Lloyd would demand double teams which would open the entire offense..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,979

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I agree with the OP; Fox is not showing enough faith in Tebow. Sure, he gave him the starting spot, changed the entire offense to suit Tebow's game in midseason, and then waived Orton, but is that really enough? Tebow was great in college.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I agree with the OP; Fox is not showing enough faith in Tebow. Sure, he gave him the starting spot, changed the entire offense to suit Tebow's game in midseason, and then waived Orton, but is that really enough? Tebow was great in college.
This is a total myth..

All Fox changed was the run game.. which is all Fox wants to really use offensively.

Fox made Orton look his worst for the same reason.

Fox's entire philosophy is to rely on the defense and run game even though they aren't good enough to rely on. Probably because he has no clue how to coach offense.. why do you think he never has a decent QB?

The only thing that made this work was Tebow's stellar running ability.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,142

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Never let women write about sports.

Christ.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I agree with the OP; Fox is not showing enough faith in Tebow. Sure, he gave him the starting spot, changed the entire offense to suit Tebow's game in midseason, and then waived Orton, but is that really enough? Tebow was great in college.
SEC > NFL
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,142

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

What a dumb broad. I'm laughing my ass off over here.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I agree with the OP; Fox is not showing enough faith in Tebow. Sure, he gave him the starting spot, changed the entire offense to suit Tebow's game in midseason, and then waived Orton, but is that really enough? Tebow was great in college.
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
Ironlung
Terminator
 
Ironlung's Avatar
 
Snake Bitten

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Receivers dropping balls might be a result of them not into any kind of rhythm offensively either. Teams like the Packers, Lions, and the Pats who use the passing game more than the run usually do not have a big problem with dropped balls, especially late in games.
To be fair, those teams have nfl caliber receivers.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #22
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
What a dumb broad. I'm laughing my ass off over here.
So are we, how is your off season loser?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,756
Default

Perhaps Tebow should believe in himself and actually throw the ball

Instead of running around waiting for someone to break wide open

As awful as McCoy is, there are guys open at times
Tebow just refuses to throw it to them
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #24
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
You are wrong because Fox makes all QBs look terrible.. add that to the fact that Tebow LOOKS bad but is highly effective and you have Tebow LOOKING terrible yet has his team in the playoffs.

Look at Vince Young's stats his first season.. it was a lot like Tebow... Now yes Vicne isn't a QB.. but he also isn't Tebow. Vince's problems were his mental issues and lack of work ethic and leadership.
Fox made Jake Delhomme look pretty damn good for awhile.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
So are we, how is your off season loser?










Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Denver Broncos