The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
vonqkilla

Default Regular season grades, and big picture thoughts, long, and you wont read it, dont bother clicking

Defense : B-

I really think defensively Allen has done a great job outside a few games and situations. We converted from a 3-4 to a base 4-3 nicely. Nice fa find in Bunkley, and excellent use of our hybrid pass rusher Von Miller. The secondary has featured old salty vets mixed with raw rookies. So put together, inconsistency is what we get. Outside of rushing 3 dl in situations, I am happy with our play. Our rookie safeties are not where they should be literally in games, or developmentally. Long term prognosis looks good, we need more talent and youth but I like where were headed. GB and NE slaughtered us, we need more push from the dts. And we were fortunate with opponent injuries this year. Allen needs more talent and less mistakes vs spread offenses, who often had uncovered wrs. (jennings, titus young, gronk, barber). In the offseason, we need DT and CB.

Special teams : B

Eddie Royal should be a fulltime kr, pr, and situational wr/back. Colquitt is awesome, prater clutch. Let down in Buff, is what it is.

Offense : D -

Tebow looks horrible again. After being the starter for 11 games, he has reverted back to a scared, hesitant, bad qb. An absolute duck to decker. Today on a huge 3rd down we faked zone read right, sprint left with 2 recs right next to eachother. So not only does Tim play scared, Mccoy and Fox calls are scared. 3rd and 7 down and they call yet another 38 toss. The wrs run bad routes, half speed (royal today), really due to inconsistent qb play and Tebow is firing to wrs not expecting the ball. Using tebow to run on 3rd and 9...

Long term I wanna see Tim Turtle play confident like at UF. But I don't think McCoy is the guy to get him there.

Oline suffered a huge blow today, and I wish Kupe nothing but the best. Clady killed a drive today with a hold on what would have been 2 nd and 4. Clady needs to get back to form. Beadles was good today, but this year has been rough, and I think we may need 2 new guards in 2012. Franklin has really gotten better and Im happy to have him at RT.

Mcgahee has been a godsend. Not sure how much tread is left, but we definitely need another back. I give him an A, would be A+ but for fumbles.

Big picture :

We are rebuilding, and yet found a way to win 8 games, and our division. Elway had a good first draft, but has a ton of more work to do, starting at qb. This last 2 games have opened up huge holes in Tebows confidence. We have got to be able to pass when we have to. We don't even try. Consistent play from Tebow has got to come. Its mind boggling how bad he looks at times. Fox has been flexible enough to install plays that work to his strengths, yet handcuff the offense in key situations.
Fox cannot force Tebow to pull the trigger, so its on all of them to fix the passing game.

Worst to first thanks to clutch plays, Phil Rivers fumbled snap in KC, and some luck.

What are we though, a bad team that got lucky (1 in 350000 chance we win all those games), or a team that makes big plays?

Looks like we have been exposed, and our run is up, and all we really are is a bad team that got lucky, and now the breaks are going against us.

The NFL is set up for teams to win via the pass, and we can't. So how are we going to win a superbowl vs teams like gb, no, and ne who thrash our defense...

Would you bet on Tebow to get us there?

Last edited by vonqkilla; 01-01-2012 at 09:17 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Approach to the offseason:

BPA in the draft.

Competition is great at the QB position. When people get comfortable, that's when we'll have problems. I don't think that's Tebow, but he has to get better throwing the ball if we are to ever win a super bowl.

Need to find a backfield mate for McGahee. He's done a damn good job this year but wear and tear is taking a toll on his body and doesn't have much left in the tank.

We need to find speed at the WR position. It is absolutely critical. Royal isn't a burner. D. Thomas and Decker lack the ability to get consistent separation.

TE talent on this team is abominable. For a young developing QB, this is a crunch that is urgent.

OL has done a damn good job run blocking, with the loss of Kuper and Clady taking a clear step back post injury, we need to be looking at adding some players here.

Defense has made gigantic strides but DL/DB are still glaring weaknesses, especially the age at CB and lack of depth at DT.

Still a lot of holes to fill on this roster.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

BPA in the draft.

Competition is great at the QB position. When people get comfortable, that's when we'll have problems. I don't think that's Tebow, but he has to get better throwing the ball if we are to ever win a super bowl.

Need to find a backfield mate for McGahee. He's done a damn good job this year but wear and tear is taking a toll on his body and doesn't have much left in the tank.

We need to find speed at the WR position. It is absolutely critical. Royal isn't a burner. D. Thomas and Decker lack the ability to get consistent separation.

TE talent on this team is abominable. For a young developing QB, this is a crunch that is urgent.

OL has done a damn good job run blocking, with the loss of Kuper and Clady taking a clear step back post injury, we need to be looking at adding some players here.

Defense has made gigantic strides but DL/DB are still glaring weaknesses, especially the age at CB and lack of depth at DT.

RB james from Oregon is my #1 hope in draft now. We need speed added to offense.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
RB james from Oregon is my #1 hope in draft now. We need speed added to offense.
if he's still there 2nd day. he's a pretty small back. like moreno.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

we need to bring in competition for Beadles spot. Clady shouldn't be guaranteed his job either. sadly these 2 have been the weakest positions on the line.

also, i am not sure if VonQKilla meant we need 2 new guards because our current ones suck or if he meant we need 2 new guards because 1 sucks and the other may not be completely healed by the start of next season, but if the thinking was the first point, Kuper is the least of the worries for the OL. he is easily the best lineman on the team and even if he begins next season at only 80% of what he is usually playing at, he is better than anyone we will be capable of bringing in.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
if he's still there 2nd day. he's a pretty small back. like moreno.
McCluster went HIGH 2nd and James is way more explosive speed wise. So even small I'd expect him to go that high too. I just think Denver is in dire need of speed on O.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 01-01-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Polk from Washington will be a better NFL player. Mark it down.

He would be an awesome addition that we can have pretty cheap.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Jeff Demps running back out of Florida please.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
schaaf

I don't care who we just need speed horribly, I would like to see Lamichael James in Orange and Blue
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I don't care who we just need speed horribly, I would like to see Lamichael James in Orange and Blue

Jeff Demps ran a 4.26. I know I know i'm going all sorts of Alvis but C'mon we could snag him in the later rounds.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
McCluster went HIGH 2nd and James is way more explosive speed wise. So even small I'd expect him to go that high too. I just think Denver is in dire need of speed on O.
i wouldn't expect a smaller back to be targeted by this staff. look at Fox's track record with RB's. all of them in the 6ft, and 220+lbs range. i'd expect someone more like Chris Polk(5'11" 225lbs) from WAShington in the 2nd or possibly a guy like Marc Tyler (6ft 230lbs) from USC in the later rounds, depending how the team decides to work the draft.

another RB type i like for us and think he could be a knockoff Percy Harvin type for us and is a smaller speed guy who does, RB/WR/Return Man duties is, Chris Rainey out of Florida.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i wouldn't expect a smaller back to be targeted by this staff. look at Fox's track record with RB's. all of them in the 6ft, and 220+lbs range. i'd expect someone more like Chris Polk(5'11" 225lbs) from WAShington in the 2nd or possibly a guy like Marc Tyler (6ft 230lbs) from USC in the later rounds, depending how the team decides to work the draft.

another RB type i like for us and think he could be a knockoff Percy Harvin type for us and is a smaller speed guy who does, RB/WR/Return Man duties is, Chris Rainey out of Florida.
Yeah I know just think if we are forced to go Tebow a few years he needs game breakers on O very bad. Not 100% that would help him enough either but, assume it wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Jeff Demps ran a 4.26. I know I know i'm going all sorts of Alvis but C'mon we could snag him in the later rounds.

i like Demps but for some reason think Rainey is more versatile and could do more for the team.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i like Demps but for some reason think Rainey is more versatile and could do more for the team.
Isn't Demps hurt alot
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Isn't Demps hurt alot

He had a bum shoulder last season.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #16
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

He has power, and speed through the hole, great blocking and receiving. Complete back.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
He has power, and speed through the hole, great blocking and receiving. Complete back.

Thanks for posting this
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Thanks for posting this
Hopefully a 2011 highlight reel will be up soon. I'm a Washington State Cougar, I've watched just about every one of Chris Polk's games with extreme prejudice. Dude really is a beast. I look at him a lot like a Ray Rice.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There are a lot of holes because this isn't the most talented/experienced of teams.

A strong d-lineman to anchor and a very fast receiver to stretch the field seem like the #1 needs to me.

A corner comes in at a very close #2.

- I'm pretty high on the mike out of Boston, Kuechly, but it's not a pressing need with Mays.

- Totally agree with needing speed at running-back. Steal a burner if possible; a Sproles-type would be a game changer and I am still miffed Denver did not get that dude.

- Tight-end can be done through free agency and it's probably better that way just as well.

Grading the team?
Offense: F
Defense: A
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
There are a lot of holes because this isn't the most talented/experienced of teams.

A strong d-lineman to anchor and a very fast receiver to stretch the field seem like the #1 needs to me.

- I'm pretty high on the mike out of Boston, Kuechly, but it's not a pressing need with Mays.

- Totally agree with needing speed at running-back. Steal a burner if possible; a Sproles-type would be a game changer and I am still miffed Denver did not get that dude.

- Tight-end can be done through free agency and it's probably better that way just as well.

Grading the team?
Fox doesn't like Sproles type RB's though
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

We won 6 in a row on a gimmick.

The coaches have 1 week to think of a new gimmick that will win us 4 in row.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post
Defense : B-

I really think defensively Allen has done a great job outside a few games and situations. We converted from a 3-4 to a base 4-3 nicely. Nice fa find in Bunkley, and excellent use of our hybrid pass rusher Von Miller. The secondary has featured old salty vets mixed with raw rookies. So put together, inconsistency is what we get. Outside of rushing 3 dl in situations, I am happy with our play. Our rookie safeties are not where they should be literally in games, or developmentally. Long term prognosis looks good, we need more talent and youth but I like where were headed. GB and NE slaughtered us, we need more push from the dts. And we were fortunate with opponent injuries this year. Allen needs more talent and less mistakes vs spread offenses, who often had uncovered wrs. (jennings, titus young, gronk, barber). In the offseason, we need DT and CB.

Defense is unimaginative. They blitz, have Goodman protected with a safety deep and Goodman still gives up the out route over and over. Earlier in the season we blitzed up the middle abusing A and B Gaps with Von Miller and DJ Williams. You have a tremendous edge rusher in Doom, if you're going to manufacture pressure, do it up the middle. The one time they did that today, Von wasn't even on the field. Haven't even got to the safeties and their run fits or the LBs ability to set the edge. Von Miller out of position is not good, but safeties being 5 yards out of position is worse.

Special teams : B

Eddie Royal should be a fulltime kr, pr, and situational wr/back. Colquitt is awesome, prater clutch. Let down in Buff, is what it is.

Prater and Colquitt may boost this grade but if you think Buff was the only let down you're nuts. When was the last game we didn't have a block in the back on a return? How many times have we started inside the 20 on Kickoffs? Our return coverage is suspect now and our return game is doing "good" if they don't end up with a half the distance to the goal penalty!

Offense : D -

Tebow looks horrible again. After being the starter for 11 games, he has reverted back to a scared, hesitant, bad qb. An absolute duck to decker. Today on a huge 3rd down we faked zone read right, sprint left with 2 recs right next to eachother. So not only does Tim play scared, Mccoy and Fox calls are scared. 3rd and 7 down and they call yet another 38 toss. The wrs run bad routes, half speed (royal today), really due to inconsistent qb play and Tebow is firing to wrs not expecting the ball. Using tebow to run on 3rd and 9...

Long term I wanna see Tim Turtle play confident like at UF. But I don't think McCoy is the guy to get him there.

Oline suffered a huge blow today, and I wish Kupe nothing but the best. Clady killed a drive today with a hold on what would have been 2 nd and 4. Clady needs to get back to form. Beadles was good today, but this year has been rough, and I think we may need 2 new guards in 2012. Franklin has really gotten better and Im happy to have him at RT.

Mcgahee has been a godsend. Not sure how much tread is left, but we definitely need another back. I give him an A, would be A+ but for fumbles.

Tebow has definitely regressed the last quarter of the season. I think his body is wearing down. Still, I don't see any plays that give him some protection. Same plays over and over and not just play to play, but game to game. Screens? 3rd and 7 run plays over and over. Receivers that can't get open and on the rare occasion when they are open, Tebow can't pull the trigger with good timing. Perfect example is the play Arenas got his hand on the ball to Decker. Decker was open, Tebow throws that ball further to the outside and Decker at least has a chance to drop it rather than it getting knocked down by the defender... and yes, he probably would have dropped it anyway.

No use of TEs. RBs in the screen game? Jeremiah Johnson with one or two touches per game. And the fact that our OL really can't protect a pocket passer anyhow.

We really are stuck in nomands land on offense. Our run game has been successful due in large part to Tebow's ability to run and keep defenses concerned with crashing down. Take Tebow out of the equation and maybe we can pass the ball better, but we won't be able to run as well. Really, we need a very mobile QB that can throw. And this isn't a recent problem. Jay Cutler made a ton of plays while on the run b/c he was under constant pressure as well. He really did a lot of good things for guys like Clady, Kuper, and Harris that most don't appreciate.

Big picture :

We are rebuilding, and yet found a way to win 8 games, and our division. Elway had a good first draft, but has a ton of more work to do, starting at qb. This last 2 games have opened up huge holes in Tebows confidence. We have got to be able to pass when we have to. We don't even try. Consistent play from Tebow has got to come. Its mind boggling how bad he looks at times. Fox has been flexible enough to install plays that work to his strengths, yet handcuff the offense in key situations.
Fox cannot force Tebow to pull the trigger, so its on all of them to fix the passing game.

Worst to first thanks to clutch plays, Phil Rivers fumbled snap in KC, and some luck.

What are we though, a bad team that got lucky (1 in 350000 chance we win all those games), or a team that makes big plays?

Looks like we have been exposed, and our run is up, and all we really are is a bad team that got lucky, and now the breaks are going against us.

The NFL is set up for teams to win via the pass, and we can't. So how are we going to win a superbowl vs teams like gb, no, and ne who thrash our defense...

Would you bet on Tebow to get us there?
I get that we are rebuilding. We're in the playoffs which is great, it puts money in Bowlen's bank which will hopefully translate to being able to pay some Free Agents. But that is a huge double edged sword. There were three games that we really had no business winning. The Dolphins game, the Jets game, and the Bears game were all wins that put us into playoff position but we're not a better team than any of them... not by a long shot. When you look at the talent on each of those teams, only Miami is close to being as void of talent as we are. So we end up an 8-8 team when we're actually at the talent level of a 5-11 or 6-10 team... and get to play a first place schedule next year as a result.

As for the draft. Von Miller and Debo, that's it. Chris Harris is a player but really that was a luck find. Rahim Moore may be able to recover but I'd say his rookie season was as bad or worse than Alphonso Smith's. Carter is very average and Predator II can't even get on the field but for Special Teams.

All in all, this teams is still very deficient in the talent department. I think that is why we play so conservative to try to keep the games within reach.

At this point I couldn't say where we need to focus our resources. We lack playmakers on offense. We struggle to pass protect. And we have a RB that is giving his all but on pretty worn legs. On defense, we are decent on the DL. Nothing special but slightly above average. LBs are functional at best (considering that Von Miller is really a DE or ROLB), they don't make game changing plays. Maybe twice this season they've made game changing plays. Safeties are crap. CBs are nothing special either. Really at this point, Champ Bailey needs to be our #2. Should have got Carlos Rogers when we had the chance.

And even with all of that said, I think we actually have a chance to beat the Steelers on Sunday. They are pretty banged up right now and haven't played good football for a month now.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #23
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Hopefully a 2011 highlight reel will be up soon. I'm a Washington State Cougar, I've watched just about every one of Chris Polk's games with extreme prejudice. Dude really is a beast. I look at him a lot like a Ray Rice.
Bigger than Rice though right? I've watched a couple games of Polk now and he seems to be very good. He had a good bowl game as well. They kept listing him in the 50s as an overall player entering the draft (ESPN Bottomline). If we could get that guy in the 2nd round it would be great! To me, he is very similar to a Matt Forte type.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #24
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post

Grading the team?
I agree with everything you said except the final grades. Not sure if those were tongue in cheek or not

Offense C- (F if you only go back over the last three weeks)
Defense C+
STs B-
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

BPA in the draft.

Yes to all. That's why I consider making the playoffs a double edged sword. We played above our talent level for many weeks, which was great to see and fun. But we won't have early picks to fill those holes you were referring to. Also, hosting a playoff game puts a lot of money back into the piggybank. Not sure that will translate to Free Agents, but it sure can't hurt! I remember that being a big part of the plan and the talk was almost of necessity when McD was fired. Something like $15M for each home playoff game. About half that for away playoff games.

Last edited by Broncoman13; 01-02-2012 at 01:07 AM..