The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #1026
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
You wanna start from scratch? Let's do that.

Word out of camp was that Tebow looked TERRIBLE. Full stop. That wasn't just coaches, that was everyone. Now I know, I know, "he's a gamer!" and "he's not a practice player!" but the fact is, you've got to perform in practice if you want to see the field. That's how it's always been. So using the fact that he looked TERRIBLE in camp, Orton was the starter to begin last season.

That's not an appeal to authority. That's seeing what everyone else sees.

Thing about it is, even when Tebow did start, he STILL looked like garbage for three quarters a game. I'm not appealing to authority to get there.
I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at his play, and saying "he stinks" or "in my opinion, he'll never improve enough."

Never had a problem with that -- it's something everybody can do. The main reason I see it differently is that the things he is the worst at are the very things that can be improved, IMO.

It's no secret, I'm a Gator. And Danny Wuerffel was obviously my favorite Gator QB before Tebow. He had all the same accomplishments, and more. But I never had that sense that he could make a good pro. Danny was the opposite of Tebow -- doing it all with perfect timing, perfect anticipation, etc. He didn't have the arm. He didn't have athleticism and strength. He didn't have the playmaking ability. Almost every good play that Wuerffel ever made was a play that went right, and he got rid of it.

Tebow was cooked in an entirely different oven. He has always been asked to run. And in college football, you're not supposed to lose any games if you're in the hunt for the championship. I think Tebow played every game with the attitude of "take a look for the pass, if it's not there, chip away at the run." He has Lance Armstrong level endurance (I'm serious). And he could win games by just spreading it out, taking the long chunk passes, or running it for 5. And the coaches not only let him, they evolved their game plan for him to do that.

What that means is that his every step, his every body mechanic, his every habit, and every instinct, is not geared towards backing up and just picking the best receiver and giving it a shot. He can tell himself in his mind to do that, but his body has never had that rhythm.

The reason he doesn't throw it to receivers that open up early is that his body and feet are not in position. He's late. He's behind. And the reason he sometimes throws awful throws in that setting is he occasionally gives it a shot anyway, even when he shouldn't.

He's learning the rhythm and steps, and entire body english, of an NFL pass. He's like Rocky in Rocky III.

Right now, it's like playing with one arm tied behind his back, because it's not second nature yet. When it becomes second nature, he will be incredible.

Note: no, not everyone can do it. If it weren't for the fact that he has a great arm, and a real tendency to drive it down the field accurately on throws of 20+ yards, it would not be good raw material.

Note: his motion will always be slower and more elongated than average. It's like a golf swing, he just has a certain "pre-action" he has to do to throw it like he wants.

Note: The Jets are using him as a QB, he's getting a lot more ordinary, quarterback reps than he's ever had. This preseason is really good for him, at a really good time.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #1027
Jay3

Trying to calculate in my head how many neg-reps from TN that long post will cost me.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1028
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

You just posted the reason why many of us think he'll never be more than what he already is....a guy that'll win you some games with his legs, but will consistently fail when asked to throw the ball.

What is funny is you and Bronco Beavis keep trying to sell us on the greatness of Tebow, even though he's not shown enough at the pro level to say otherwise and how he was wronged by the FO even though they got rid of his main competition in Orton and his biggest critic on the team in Lloyd and changed the entire offense to suit his skill set and how we'll regret it if Manning goes down to an injury, despite Manning being one of the most durable QB's prior to his neck surgeries, etc...
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #1029
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Entering his third season, he's not a competent NFL quarterback. Three years of working, and he still is bad. Actually, five, through his own words, but we'll dismiss the talk in his college years about changing mechanics and yada-yada, so three years.

Amazes me that people still smoke his pole.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #1030
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Trying to calculate in my head how many neg-reps from TN that long post will cost me.
My last neg rep from tgn a couple days ago was actually positive. Guessing he forgot to switch it.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #1031
capt. Jack

But, for now he has a winning record in the NFL? So he must be a little bit good at something?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #1032
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
But, for now he has a winning record in the NFL? So he must be a little bit good at something?
Vince young has a winning record as well 30-17. how is he not a hot commodity in the NFL? isn't the win/loss record the only thing that counts?
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #1033
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
My last neg rep from tgn a couple days ago was actually positive. Guessing he forgot to switch it.
He did that a couple of times for me. But the venomous comment never leaves any doubt.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1034
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
..and Trent Dilfer won a SB ...still doesn't make him a good QB.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1035
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Vince young has a winning record as well 30-17. how is he not a hot commodity in the NFL? isn't the win/loss record the only thing that counts?
I suppose you're counting the year the Titans went 13-3 and Vince helped out by riding pine next to his therapist while Kerry Collins was winning football games.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #1036
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I suppose you're counting the year the Titans went 13-3 and Vince helped out by riding pine next to his therapist while Kerry Collins was winning football games.
Yes his 30-17 overall record with Tenn includes the one win he was credited with in 2008

In games started for Tenn he never had a losing record

Pretty awesome Now he's fighting with Tyler THigpen for the final QB sport in BUF

Last edited by CEH; 06-18-2012 at 01:24 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #1037
capt. Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
..and Trent Dilfer won a SB ...still doesn't make him a good QB.
You are right! I just liked his fire & intensity, but I do question his ability to develop into a prototype QB. Time will tell?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #1038
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Yes his 30-17 overall record with Tenn includes the one win he was credited with in 2008

In games started for Tenn he never had a losing record

Pretty awesome Now he's fighting with Tyler THigpen for the final QB sport in BUF
Good for him. Unfortunately there's still a pretty significant difference between 30-17 and 18-17. This is akin to saying Curtis Painter has a pretty good NFL record because he sat behind PM for a couple years.

Edit: I looked it up and he really is 30-17 in games started. Impressive, and more than I wouldve guessed. But as Kerry Collins showed, he had some pretty good talent to work with.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 06-18-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #1039
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Now I know, I know, "he's a gamer!" and "he's not a practice player!"...
And don't forget about those "intangibles"! Off the charts! Sky's the limit!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/sp...-of-flaws.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #1040
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Weber works at No. 2. Whether it stays this way for training camp remains to be seen. But there's little doubt that through minicamp, Adam Weber was the No. 2 quarterback behind Peyton Manning.

Read more: Broncos, kicker Matt Prater continue to work on details of contract - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1yAO4yfWT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Last edited by oubronco; 06-18-2012 at 11:22 AM..
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #1041
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

Weber works at No. 2. Whether it stays this way for training camp remains to be seen. But there's little doubt that through minicamp, Adam Weber was the No. 2 quarterback behind Peyton Manning.

Read more: Broncos, kicker Matt Prater continue to work on details of contract - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1yAO4yfWT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Wow, Oz's third on the depth chart behind a 2nd year UDFA. Bust.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #1042
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Wow, Oz's third on the depth chart behind a 2nd year UDFA. Bust.
It doesn't really make a differance where Oz is on the depth chart. his job is to learn & be ready when PM retires.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #1043
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Whether it stays this way for training camp remains to be seen. But there's little doubt that through minicamp, Adam Weber was the No. 2 quarterback behind Peyton Manning.
Hmm, does this mean it's possible that Hanie doesn't make the team?!?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #1044
Shananahan

Would anybody really care if he doesn't?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #1045
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Sure wouldn't mind flipping him for a late rounder or something.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #1046
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well, the team isn't going to keep 4 quarterbacks. If Hanie can't beat out a practice squad player to hold a clip board he doesn't really provide much. Preseason games are going to be quite a bit of fun at the QB position this year.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #1047
Jay3

Oz = 4th string.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #1048
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Gotta say, that release point is like, great. About as high as possible. If Weber has a remotely "quick" release then kudos to him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1049
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

it's official: Tebow Still Sucks

Posted June 25, 2012, 2:10 pm MT Peyton Manning vs. Tim Tebow: Colorado voters weigh inBy Lindsay Jones The Denver Post Add a comment

The folks at Public Policy Polling included some quarterbacks questions in a recent survey of Colorado voters. The results showed that local voters prefer Tim Tebow as a person, but prefer Peyton Manning as a quarterback.

According to a release from the polling agency, Tebow received a 68 percent favorable rating as a person, compared to 57 percent for Manning. Tebow had an 18 percent unfavorable rating, compared to only 10 percent for Manning.

But as a quarterback, 53 percent of the nearly 900 voters surveyed preferred Manning under center for the Broncos. Only 21 percent said they would rather have Tebow as the Broncos’ quarterback, while 25 percent selected “not sure.”

Other notable items from the poll:

- Tebow’s favorability percentages were higher among women and older voters.

- John Elway received a 63 percent favorability rating among the participants in the poll.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...s-weigh/14050/
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #1050
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
it's official: Tebow Still Sucks

Posted June 25, 2012, 2:10 pm MT Peyton Manning vs. Tim Tebow: Colorado voters weigh inBy Lindsay Jones The Denver Post Add a comment

The folks at Public Policy Polling included some quarterbacks questions in a recent survey of Colorado voters. The results showed that local voters prefer Tim Tebow as a person, but prefer Peyton Manning as a quarterback.

According to a release from the polling agency, Tebow received a 68 percent favorable rating as a person, compared to 57 percent for Manning. Tebow had an 18 percent unfavorable rating, compared to only 10 percent for Manning.

But as a quarterback, 53 percent of the nearly 900 voters surveyed preferred Manning under center for the Broncos. Only 21 percent said they would rather have Tebow as the Broncos’ quarterback, while 25 percent selected “not sure.”

Other notable items from the poll:

- Tebow’s favorability percentages were higher among women and older voters.

- John Elway received a 63 percent favorability rating among the participants in the poll.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...s-weigh/14050/
I bet they polled the Mane 90 times.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote