The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default Our OL and Running Predictability

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Many of us often feel like all we do is run up the middle.

We do it 68% of the time, which seems to be #2 in the NFL behind Jax's 69%

We happen to be 21st in the NFL in effectiveness at running it in the middle.

Begs the question of...why the **** do we do it so much if we're not that good at it?

Meanwhile when we go to the right end we are 5th in the NFL and when we do the right tackle we are 2nd.

Those runs make up 6 and 12 percent of our total respectively.

We're pretty trash at running up the left btw. The Shell of Clady and Beadles is probably why.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

Begs the question of...why the **** do we do it so much if we're not that good at it?

Meanwhile when we go to the right end we are 5th in the NFL and when we do the right tackle we are 2nd.

We're pretty trash at running up the left btw. The Shell of Clady and Beadles is probably why.
Prolly more Beadles than Clady..i've noticed on a handful of occasions Beadles getting manhandled by his guy. Which i think says a lot considering i don't really pay much attention to the O line during games unless its a pass play and they hold their blocks for an extended period of time.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Broncbow

Quote:
Sabotage
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncbow View Post
Sabotage
New year; same old bull ****.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Broncbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
New year; same old bull ****.
Well we better hope not or it could be a horrible start to the Year.

Will Fox sabotaged Tebow by keeping the breaks on the passing game until the rushing offense runs out of gas again?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Sabotage
Maybe Fox is just a fan of the Beasties?

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I have no problem with Fox demanding inside runs this year. It has changed the entire culture of our team, and was probably one of the top two priorities of our coaching staff coming into this season (run the ball, stop the run). I absolutely love the commitment to power football, and by next year hopefully we will have more pieces to play with (in opening up the playbook).

In order to get much more creative, we need receivers that can consistently catch, and more skill players that can take a five yard pass and turn it into a touchdown.

Anyway, I like what we have become, but I agree that to make real noise in the playoffs, we will need to be a little more diversified.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

Most of the runs up the middle are read options, where Tebow can hand it off or keep the ball himself. So in reality it is not just a run up the middle. It is up to the DE/LB crashing down and TIm Tebow as to where the ball will be going. If the DE/LB crashes hard to stop the dive that Tebow wil keep the ball. If the DE/LB chooses to play Tebow than he basically takes himself out of the dive play giving the Broncos one more blocker to defendor ratio.

A lot of you guys criticize Fox and McCoy for not running an offense that Tebow is comfortable in. When in reality this is Tebow's offense. We saw what he does when Fox gives him a regular offense you get results like you have in Buffalo.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Bacchus

Quote:
Well we better hope not or it could be a horrible start to the Year.

Will Fox sabotaged Tebow by keeping the breaks on the passing game until the rushing offense runs out of gas again?
Fox has tried to pass with Tebow early and Tebow has done terrible. When a QB starts of 2-9 or 3-13 pasing how many times do you want to pass. Tebow is not ready to run a NFL passing gamew he just isn't. Fox and his staff have done a remarkable job getting wins with him.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobet Selur View Post
Fox has tried to pass with Tebow early and Tebow has done terrible. When a QB starts of 2-9 or 3-13 pasing how many times do you want to pass. Tebow is not ready to run a NFL passing gamew he just isn't. Fox and his staff have done a remarkable job getting wins with him.
NURRRRRRRRRRR!

Where are you getting this?

Tebow's 1st half COMP-ATT for each of his starts:

2-11
6-17
0-4
5-7
3-7
4-6

3-13
5-8
3-4

9-16

What stands out the most to me? Lack of balance. Do you honestly think you're putting yourself in a position to win by throwing 5 times in a half? 15 times in a game? The only two games where I feel like there were a reasonable amount of attempts for a run-heavy offense (20-25 total, so 10-13 a half), he went 2-11 and 3-13, but let's look a little closer at the playcalling for those games...are we putting ourselves in a good position to win by going pass-pass-run-punt? And what about the two games where there was no balance in the other direction? 9-16 isn't bad...it's certainly not as bad as people are making it out to be, and the 6-17 on the Raiders game, let's look again at the playcalling: are we putting ourselves in a good position calling 8 passing plays on a 10 play freaking drive NO. And I'm not even counting all of the dropped passes that plagued our receiving corps early on.

Do I agree with what Broncbow said (you don't need to quote him, btw, most of us that already have him on ignore know what he's saying about there being a conspiracy and all that crap)? NO.

What I do think is that theres something wrong with the OC. Whether he was dropped on his head as a baby or just needs some more time with these players to become more confident in their abilities and creative with the playcalling, something is terribly wrong. Tebow doesn't need to be fixed. He's alright, and he'll do better with better playcalling.

As I said in an earlier thread...when a guy like ME can predict what play is being called with relatively good accuracy...you've got a major problem.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
What I do think is that theres something wrong with the OC. Whether he was dropped on his head as a baby or just needs some more time with these players to become more confident in their abilities and creative with the playcalling, something is terribly wrong. Tebow doesn't need to be fixed. He's alright, and he'll do better with better playcalling.
we're spoiled. McCoy is like most OCs in this league... not too bright or innovative. we've had Shanny and McD. despite their failings as HC/GMs, they were both creative offensive minds. i don't think McCoy has that sort of creativity. maybe its lack of experience. but right now, he's calling a pretty predictable game. in the NFL, predictability is not a good thing unless you've got unstoppable players. we don't.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote