The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Tim Tebow - Sport Science - Throwing Motion

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It's horrible. But it's cool with me. He needs to focus more on reading defenses IMO.

He will never throw like Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers will never shed linebackers like Tim Tebow.

Give and take.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Cool, I wish they would factor in the "running for his life" component of our passing game though :S
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
KO5K

People have largely dropped the 'throwing motion' argument nowadays.

Off the top of my head, the ball has only been stripped twice when he was winding up in his career so far (Lions, Bills), but then every QB has had the ball stripped so it's difficult to say that his throwing motion is leading to turnovers.

People said DBs would react quicker but that hasn't really been the case either, his interception rate even with the Bills game is probably as good if not better than most other young QBs.

His low completion % also appears to be more down to his inaccuracy than his motion. It would be nice if he could tighten it up, but I don't think his career rests on his ability to do so.

But if he could fix his footwork, I think it would do wonders for his passing game.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
Jay3

The arm motion itself would not be a problem. The bigger problem right now is the footwork at the back of drops. He does not get set in a "loaded and cocked" position, ready to fire instantly if the route is coming open. He likes to stand relaxed, drift, and look around a while.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
Broncbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
His low completion % also appears to be more down to his inaccuracy than his motion.
Yeah whatever, nothing to do with scheme and receivers being locked up eh? Tebow has a phenomenal completion percentage in college, better than Peyton Manning. Inaccuracy argument is lame IMO. Tebow has no qualms about throwing the ball away, considering the predictable scheme making it hard on our receivers to get open. You can;t hold that against him.

Last edited by Broncbow; 12-31-2011 at 04:43 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncbow View Post
Yeah whatever, nothing to do with scheme and receivers being locked up eh? Tebow has a phenomenal completion percentage in college, better than Peyton Manning. Inaccuracy argument is lame IMO. Tebow has no qualms about throwing the ball away, considering the predictable scheme making it hard on our receivers to get open. You can;t hold that against him.
Yeah, that scheme definitely makes him inaccurate...
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
People have largely dropped the 'throwing motion' argument nowadays.
It's low and long and that will catch up to QBs in the pocket in the NFL.
WRs run to seams, holes in the defense and a QB with a quick release will hit his receivers in those openings, more often than one that has a slow release, resulting in more 1st downs, continuing more drives.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Ball goes in, ball goes out... can't explain that.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug View Post
It's low and long and that will catch up to QBs in the pocket in the NFL.
WRs run to seams, holes in the defense and a QB with a quick release will hit his receivers in those openings, more often than one that has a slow release, resulting in more 1st downs, continuing more drives.
It's difficult to say.

Tebow isn't hitting those throws due to his struggles to read a defense/not having the confidence to throw the ball.

As he gets more experience and starts to throw to those openings, then we can judge whether the throwing motion has an effect.

My guess is a 0.2 second difference won't.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I think the long throwing motion can affect the short passing routes. That's why you see Tim throwing long balls downfield more often.
He can compensate by putting a little more muscle into his throws, which can result into missing his targets in the short passing game...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Ball goes in, ball goes out... can't explain that.
lmao
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
Vine

So Tebow's throwing motion is .2 of a second longer than the average NFL qb. Two tenths of one second.

BIG ****ING DEAL!

So, this throwing motion that all of his skeptics point out to might result in, maybe, one extra sack per season, and maybe 3 or 4 extra qb hurries.

BIG ****ING DEAL!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I think the long throwing motion can affect the short passing routes. That's why you see Tim throwing long balls downfield more often.
He can compensate by putting a little more muscle into his throws, which can result into missing his targets in the short passing game...
I think you're 100% right, although I don't think it's something you can compensate for. It's not necessarily the release, but the footwork (which is absolutely lumbering) that is a very big problem right now. You look at Drew Brees on those short slants. It's 3 steps, set, and fire. By the time Tim is 3 steps into his drop any hope of getting the pass off is generally gone.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

But will he shake hands with ORTON?

We need to know dragster! WE NEED TO KNOW.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
So Tebow's throwing motion is .2 of a second longer than the average NFL qb. Two tenths of one second.

BIG ****ING DEAL!

So, this throwing motion that all of his skeptics point out to might result in, maybe, one extra sack per season, and maybe 3 or 4 extra qb hurries.

BIG ****ING DEAL!
Did you read how the extra time is allowing the defenders that much time in getting to the QB?
I think that's the relevant point of the story...
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I think you're 100% right, although I don't think it's something you can compensate for. It's not necessarily the release, but the footwork (which is absolutely lumbering) that is a very big problem right now. You look at Drew Brees on those short slants. It's 3 steps, set, and fire. By the time Tim is 3 steps into his drop any hope of getting the pass off is generally gone.
We should all be hopeful that Tim working with Elway in the off-season can correct most of his throing flaws.
But again, I saw a documentary on ESPN as Tim prepared for his private workouts prior to the draft where he worked hard on thos issues, and he's now back to where he was two years ago.
It's a tough habit to break. Muscle memory is tough
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #19
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

BIG ****ING DEAL!

BIG ****ING DEAL!
you gonna be ok ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

[B]BIG ****ING DEAL!

sure, just as there's no difference between a guy with 4.2 and 4.4 speed right? Like Louie Kelcher said, "If I gotta chase a guy for 40 yards I ain't gonna catch him anyways"

That .2 seconds can mean the difference between hitting a guy in stride or throwing it behind him....and since only 3 things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them aren't good for the QB, the odds are those that get the ball out faster and quicker will complete the pass.

BIG ****ING DEAL!

OK, one sack might mean the difference in winning a game...taking your kicker outta FG range, costing you a turnover if he fumbles while being sacked....one play can decide a game in the NFL. As for the 3-4 extra hurries...if an inaccurate Qb is being made to throw the ball before he wants to, well logic dictates that his chances of completing the pass are decreased, wouldn't you agree?...and 3-4 extra hurries could turn into game changing/losing plays via turnovers or less yardage gain to put K or team in position to score

in bold

Last edited by errand; 12-31-2011 at 09:59 AM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
in bold
Finally a post from you that makes sense!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
We should all be hopeful that Tim working with Elway in the off-season can correct most of his throing flaws.
But again, I saw a documentary on ESPN as Tim prepared for his private workouts prior to the draft where he worked hard on thos issues, and he's now back to where he was two years ago.
It's a tough habit to break. Muscle memory is tough

And yet we had clowns in here saying practice (or better yet, doing well in practices) doesn't matter.......doing well in practice not only builds his confidence up....it builds the confidence of his coaches up to where they allow him more freedom to throw more passes, it also boosts his team mates confidence in that they'll believe he'll put the ball where it needs to be so they can make the catch.

Michael Irvin once said that several times he wouldn't even see the ball coming, and just put his hands up, and Troy Aikman put the ball perfectly in the right spot so that he could make the catch. That bond is built by performing well in practices, so come game time that WR knows Tim will deliver the ball perfectly, and I just have to do my part and catch it.

I thought he made some positive strides in his development after Vikings game...but as teams start to figure him and the Broncos O out, his success is gonna decrease unless he starts to execute and perform better.

sure some of it is playcalling, but perhaps they're doing the best they can do with Tim's limitations...

sure, he's surrounded by young unproven talent, and they have dropped some catchable balls....but they have a young unproven talent throwing to them as well.....and he's missed some wide open guys as well.

The QB touches the ball on virtually every offensive play, and his development is huge in deciding if your team will win games and titles. I know the kid will put in the work.If you told him he had to throw it right handed he'd work on it....but will he be able to win enough games to earn precious time to develop in the win now mentality of today's NFL?

Last edited by errand; 12-31-2011 at 10:20 AM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
Broncbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
the odds are those that get the ball out faster and quicker will complete the pass...

perhaps their doing the best they can do with Tim's limitations...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #25
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

ya all think too much
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote