The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Armchair Bronco

Default Why is Denver so bad in the 2nd Quarter?

Why is Denver so bad in the 2nd quarter? Aren't we like the worst team in the league in terms of point differential?

Since Tebow took over, we typically come out like gang busters in the first quarter and either rack up points or keep the other team from scoring. We've done this in pretty much every game, including against Detroit, NE, and Buffalo.

But then when the 2nd quarter rolls around, everything comes unglued. What's going on? Are we changing things up, or going all conservative? Keep in mind that when our Offense shuts down, so does our Defense.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 12-29-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
vonqkilla

Playcalling gets conservative to the pt of stupidity, turnovers vs NE, poor adjustments, creative plays all used up vs jets.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

exactly what he said.
poor playcalling followed by turnovers.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

i think you nailed it on the head, we go conservative when we get the lead. How many times did we run the ball 3 straight times in buffalo and go 3 and out?

I believe establishing the run is crucial, but you need to change it up and playaction or spread read throw on 1st , 2nd , or 3rd down sometimes even if we have the lead.

Keeping the defense on their toes and guessing is the main advantage our offense has.

Last edited by Peoples Champ; 12-29-2011 at 01:02 PM..
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

let's not forget penalties. if we start at our own 20, then commit a holding penalty or false start, we're backed up. cue the unimiaginative playcalling, a 3 and out and now the opposition has great field position as colquitt has to punt from his endzone.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

The problem is our team plays conservative once we have the lead(even with 3 points lead).
I never seen any other team go conservative with 3 or 7 points lead entering into 2nd quarter.
I just hope Fox/Mccoy realize this and attack till the end.
We just can't give hope to other team.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

rosario has a ton of holding penalties on kickoffs, those are killer
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Armchair Bronco

What concerns me is that we have a pattern here, but the coaches don't seem to see it.

They keep doing the same thing(s) over and over, hoping to get different results each time. But the results are always the same: Denver either blows a big lead or gets blown away, and we head in to the locker room with zero momentum.

This is my nightmare scenario for the game against KC.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
What concerns me is that we have a pattern here, but the coaches don't seem to see it.

They keep doing the same thing(s) over and over, hoping to get different results each time. But the results are always the same: Denver either blows a big lead or gets blown away, and we head in to the locker room with zero momentum.

This is my nightmare scenario for the game against KC.
We won 6 games doing like that..Knowing Fox, i think it won't change this week.
But, i am confident that Chiefs are going to lose to us.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

all of the above.

And coincidence plays a big role too
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

i would be interested to see how many times we have passed on a down other than 3rd in the 2nd Quarter...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
all of the above.

And coincidence plays a big role too
I don't believe in coincidences disguised as patterns. But I do think that the number of boneheaded penalties (especially Defensive penalties) goes WAY up in the 2nd quarter.

Maybe the younger guys on Defense are trying to hard to "make a big statement" before halftime. Who knows... ?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I don't believe in coincidences disguised as patterns. But I do think that the number of boneheaded penalties (especially Defensive penalties) goes WAY up in the 2nd quarter.

Maybe the younger guys on Defense are trying to hard to "make a big statement" before halftime. Who knows... ?
Football seasons, themselves, are fairly small sample sizes, and we're only talking about a small portion. So yes, there are obviously some trends, but I think theres some coincidence too
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoor View Post
i would be interested to see how many times we have passed on a down other than 3rd in the 2nd Quarter...
Yeah, in several games, we mixed it up with passes on 1st down, even with passes to start the game, and it worked. Then Fox felt like: "Well, we've got our quota of 2 passes for the half, so let's not risk an INT with any more passes."
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Broncbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
We won 6 games doing like that
We did not win 6 games as a result of the second quarter fiascos, we won more often than not by the miracles that were needed to make up for fiasco of a patern I like to regard as the sabotaging scheme.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Personally, I think it's just the problem of this being a young coaching squad (young in the sense that this is their first year together with these players). The theme of this season has been a LOT of experimentation with players all over the field on both sides of the ball. They have tested so many different things this year in an effort to determine what they have and what they don't have.

In the first quarter, everything goes by the script, and while things have been rocky at times, there has been a marked improvement over time in performance during this time. Once the script runs out, they seem to hit a wall. I think with time and more experience, we'll see improvement in the second quarter. I don't know that it can happen overnight though. I think this is a kink that the team will need to work on into next season.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

We dont have a killer instinct. coaches and players. we can come from behind but not play ahead.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I think teams figure out what we come out of the gate with by the 2nd quarter and take it away which causes turnovers and mistakes. I do like that our staff can make adjustments at half time but would like to see more consistent play throughout the entire game.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I think we let down our guard just a little bit in the 2nd quarter, and the better teams have been keen to this, so they go in full-out attack mode on defense, then we implode. Sometime a little, sometimes a lot.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I think teams figure out what we come out of the gate with by the 2nd quarter and take it away which causes turnovers and mistakes. I do like that our staff can make adjustments at half time but would like to see more consistent play throughout the entire game.
yes. And, there is a real reluctance to put the game on Tebow's left arm early in a game. Plus, any defense that has run block thrown at them 30 times in the first three qters, esp with McGahee, will feel it in the fourth.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #22
Broncbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I think teams figure out what we come out of the gate with by the 2nd quarter and take it away which causes turnovers and mistakes...

Quote:
I don't believe in coincidences disguised as patterns...
Quote:

They keep doing the same thing(s) over and over, hoping to get different results each time...

This is my nightmare scenario...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Once the script runs out, they seem to hit a wall... I think this is a kink that the team will need to work on into next season.
Kink?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #23
BroncoBeavis

Tebow had 2 passing attempts in the second quarter. Both were on 3rd and Long.

That's the definition of setting up your QB for failure. Inept beyond measure.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Young players
+
New coaching staff
+
Lockout
=
Everything is gravy this season.

I'm not ready to throw anyone out based on this season, especially when Tebow was put in 5 games in. I would like to see what they can do with a full off season (for both the players and coaches).
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Why is Denver so bad in the 2nd quarter? Aren't we like the worst team in the league in terms of point differential?

Since Tebow took over, we typically come out like gang busters in the first quarter and either rack up points or keep the other team from scoring. We've done this in pretty much every game, including against Detroit, NE, and Buffalo.

But then when the 2nd quarter rolls around, everything comes unglued. What's going on? Are we changing things up, or going all conservative? Keep in mind that when our Offense shuts down, so does our Defense.
It is all part of the EFX master plan to make teebs fail .......
Signed run of the mill teboner
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote