The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Default Cosby's fumble before halftime

This is not a thread to talk about how bad a play it was by Cosby or bash the coaching staff. I just have a serious question and wanted to see if anyone might have an explanation.

Why would we even put someone back to return that punt with 3 seconds left in the half. The pats are punting from midfield so you know you aren't going to get a return. I can't think of one reason to even put someone back there in case they fumbled. Anyone know?

I actually looked at my dad after the third down stop and said "I wouldn't even put someone back there." CU did the same thing against Ohio State and fumbled with 5 seconds til halftime...gave them a field goal.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I could see putting a guy back there if it's Hester, DeSean, Patrick Peterson...but not ****ing 5.0s 40 Quan Cosby. I completely agree - no point putting him back there. He's obviously not going to take the kick back for a TD.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cosby shouldn't have tried to field it. You leave him back there in case they screw up the punt and kick it short, or low with no hang time. The coaching staff, and Cosby, should know/teach that you don't try catching that otherwise.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I could see putting a guy back there if it's Hester, DeSean, Patrick Peterson...but not ****ing 5.0s 40 Quan Cosby. I completely agree - no point putting him back there. He's obviously not going to take the kick back for a TD.
Exactly. It either goes in the endzone and you take a knee and go to halftime or the Pat's down it and you take a knee and go to halftime. There really is only one reason I can think of to put someone back there and it is like you said...to take it back for a TD. Even if he returns it to midfield the half is over. So unless Fox thought we had a chance to return for a TD that one is on him.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

well it was a screw up , But he was tryin to make something happen , wanting to contribute .... lets hope he learns his lesson
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Cosby shouldn't have tried to field it. You leave him back there in case they screw up the punt and kick it short, or low with no hang time. The coaching staff, and Cosby, should know/teach that you don't try catching that otherwise.
Yeah I agree, crappy punts do happen however under regular circumstances, YOU DO NOT try and field that. What baffles me more is that he was back in the game in the second half to field a punt
Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So they kick it low and he returns it...what are the odds he goes for a TD? 1/50? I think there was a much better chance of a fumble or roughing the kicker or something than there was of returning it for a TD
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
You leave him back there in case they screw up the punt and kick it short, or low with no hang time.
I'm with the OP on this one. It's 3 seconds left - what difference does it make where/how they punt it? Unless you feel you can return it for a score, it makes just as much sense for Cosby to be on the LOS.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
DrFate
Lord of Order

It's like a free throw in a 4 point game - just don't put anybody on the lane to make sure they don't commit a stupid foul or something.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
So they kick it low and he returns it...what are the odds he goes for a TD? 1/50? I think there was a much better chance of a fumble or roughing the kicker or something than there was of returning it for a TD
I would take those odds. I haven't seen an NFL team go without a returner before though, so I don't get where the strategy is coming from. I'm also pretty sure that we now have as many return TDs as fumbled punts this season. I could be wrong though. I don't remember any other muffed punts.

Edit: I just remembered that we have two punt return TDs. So we have more TDs than screwups as long as I'm not forgetting fumbles.

Last edited by jhns; 12-19-2011 at 08:41 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
CEH
Ring of Famer

With the way the 2nd qtr went you step away and head into the locker room down by one score and regroup. Simple as that. I think Quan may stick because it's late in the season but had this happened mid season he would be cut. Unexcusable. The punter returner should know the situation.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Last week Marion Barber made two mistakes that ended up giving away the game becasue he was trying to be a "star ", and win the game on his own, instead of being a smart TEAM player.

Cosby did the same thing yesterday on the muff. He should have signaled fair catch and let the ball go over his head. Probably would have been into the end zone, but even if it hadn't it would have been downed for a snap to end the half.

TEAM play trumps Superstar play usually. Be smart and get back to TEAM play.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

That was idiotic because even if he fields it, he'll get hit right away. Again, no need to even try to field the darn punt.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
That was idiotic because even if he fields it, he'll get hit right away. Again, no need to even try to field the darn punt.
And thus proving my point..if there is no point in fielding it why even put someone back there? I don't get it
Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
well it was a screw up , But he was tryin to make something happen , wanting to contribute .... lets hope he learns his lesson
He doesnt just go back there to just "contribute for the team". He goes back there because the coach told him to go back there. Even if he was told to go back there, you are way inside the 20 so why try to catch it? The only logical chance is for him to run it back because there was no time on the clock to just go 35 yards and then set up a hail mary. Coaches should have known better and Cosby screwed up. That is exactly what happened and it cost the team 3 points and a crappy feeling going into the locker.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

WTF was he even fielding it inside the 20?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

We should have royal do all the returns and have Willis take his snap on offense
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
He doesnt just go back there to just "contribute for the team". He goes back there because the coach told him to go back there. Even if he was told to go back there, you are way inside the 20 so why try to catch it? The only logical chance is for him to run it back because there was no time on the clock to just go 35 yards and then set up a hail mary. Coaches should have known better and Cosby screwed up. That is exactly what happened and it cost the team 3 points and a crappy feeling going into the locker.
I said it was a ****ing Screw up .......wtf
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Can we just cut Cosby? If Royal is healthy, then go with him for punts and Willis or Royal for kickoffs. I'm sick of Cosby. He does nothing but return the ball to the 15 or take a knee in the endzone. Well, except this week, he did that and fumble....twice. Cut him and sign another defensive player.
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Because there would be a "Why didin't we try to return the punt" thread ....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
Can we just cut Cosby? If Royal is healthy, then go with him for punts and Willis or Royal for kickoffs. I'm sick of Cosby. He does nothing but return the ball to the 15 or take a knee in the endzone. Well, except this week, he did that and fumble....twice. Cut him and sign another defensive player.
It's clear that Royal doesn't fit in to the offensive gameplan. We should just make him a full-time returner...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Because there would be a "Why didin't we try to return the punt" thread ....
Ha Ha Ha
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #23
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
It's clear that Royal doesn't fit in to the offensive gameplan. We should just make him a full-time returner...
I was thinking the same exact thing
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Yep, you tell Cosby not to field the ball just let it bounce.

This was a breakdown by the special teams coach, or even John Fox. Fox should be telling the special teams coach.. 'Let the ball bounce'.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #25
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I'll third this. And the second should be Decker.