The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default This game: Will it dictate our future?

This reminds me so much of so many past losses in big games. A team with a highly effective QB and an intermediate passing game comes in and forces us to get into their style of game because our defense laid down and played dead. Certainly, we had major O/ST miscues, but I think I only counted 1 defensive stop before the half? (I could be off on that but it wasn't many.)

This just had the feel of so many big-game losses in the past decade or so.

So, the question is... does the staff do it right this time? Was it obvious enough today that we couldn't dictate the game with our defense? Was it obvious enough that we don't have the offense to stay in high-scoring shoot-outs against HOF QBs?

Or, could the staff possibly look at this game and say... "now you see, we just need to find the next Tom Brady and build the team around HIM."

Whichever it is, I guarantee you that today will be one of if not the biggest game that the staff looks at when deciding how to approach next season.
There was a ton of information to take in... it just depends how you interpret it. Of course, there is a lot of season to play and hopefully we'll get a chance to redeem ourselves in many more big games. But, I just feel like today was a turning point.

What do you think?

Personally, I'm all in with Tebow and this offense. I think he showed a lot today, despite being bottled up for much of the game. He's consistently improving as a passer and has big game moxie when the whole team shows up. But, it's similar to past situations we've been in where you're going to have to build a team around him... specifically around him. He needs things in place to be successful. He's not Brady/Manning. So, the staff is going to have to recognize that, and go all in to put the structure around him to be successful in games like this. If I'm making the call... I do just that. But, today was a rough game. No telling how the FO will interpret it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

This game won't dictate our future because:

1) You can't measure Tim Tebow in stats and
2) See point #1
3) Tim Tebow
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I think what happen was probably not a surprise to most. This team won't curl up and die like so many Shanny teams. They have a long way to go. But the leaps and bounds they made this season is very pleasing.

It has and will be a blast for however long this season lasts.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Armchair Bronco

Tebow played well today.

The fixable problems were on the D-Line and the Secondary. We need to use some higher picks in those areas. We also need more depth @ RB and some backup QB's, but we can pick up those players in later rounds.

I also think the Defensive playcalling was really tentative and uninspired.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post

2) See point #1
3) Tim Tebow
Dude it was funny about the first 2-3 times you did it to agamemdon or whatever his name is but it's not funny and pretty classless now
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Vine

Despite the loss, I think that Tebow showed some things that will further solidify the case of him being named the starting qb going into next season.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
This reminds me so much of so many past losses in big games. A team with a highly effective QB and an intermediate passing game comes in and forces us to get into their style of game because our defense laid down and played dead. Certainly, we had major O/ST miscues, but I think I only counted 1 defensive stop before the half? (I could be off on that but it wasn't many.)

This just had the feel of so many big-game losses in the past decade or so.

So, the question is... does the staff do it right this time? Was it obvious enough today that we couldn't dictate the game with our defense? Was it obvious enough that we don't have the offense to stay in high-scoring shoot-outs against HOF QBs?

Or, could the staff possibly look at this game and say... "now you see, we just need to find the next Tom Brady and build the team around HIM."

Whichever it is, I guarantee you that today will be one of if not the biggest game that the staff looks at when deciding how to approach next season.
There was a ton of information to take in... it just depends how you interpret it. Of course, there is a lot of season to play and hopefully we'll get a chance to redeem ourselves in many more big games. But, I just feel like today was a turning point.

What do you think?

Personally, I'm all in with Tebow and this offense. I think he showed a lot today, despite being bottled up for much of the game. He's consistently improving as a passer and has big game moxie when the whole team shows up. But, it's similar to past situations we've been in where you're going to have to build a team around him... specifically around him. He needs things in place to be successful. He's not Brady/Manning. So, the staff is going to have to recognize that, and go all in to put the structure around him to be successful in games like this. If I'm making the call... I do just that. But, today was a rough game. No telling how the FO will interpret it.
There will be major retooling of the secondary. Our secondary is a huge gaping hole. The nickel and dime packages simply can not hold up due to the safeties and lack of CB depth.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

No. Our secondary sucks. We have to go out and get better players.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont think it dictates our future, really. If we make the playoffs, i think they have to stay the course.

If we epically collapse, i fear next off season in denver.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

... and "turning point" was probably the wrong phrase to use. I don't think we're any worse after today's game. In fact, it may be a nice kick in the ass.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The Real question is , Will Tebow Become Tony Romo ? I dont think so ..... I still think Tebow will be or surpass Elway ... Kid is rock solid
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont think it dictates our future, really. If we make the playoffs, i think they have to stay the course.

If we epically collapse, i fear next off season in denver.
So, if we make the playoffs... and lose by 17 points to Pittsburgh, for example... in a similar style game. I'm not sure the overall picture is much different than it is today.

Anyway, you're right in a sense... if things go dramatically one way or another from here, certainly the view could change. I just have a feeling this is the game they'll be watching over and over this offseason.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

yeah, I didn't see this team curl up and die like the the last 4 years. Some areas were exposed to injuries and a lack of talent: The OL and Secondary are still my major concerns.

I do see is a QB getting better every week.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post

2) See point #1
3) Tim Tebow
WOO hOO!! He's pumped folks!! We lost!
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I mean, this still isn't a very good team, talent-wise. They've just been playing smart and tough the past few weeks. This game just shows how much more talent we really need, especially on the defensive side.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the defense plays like that again, then they will have problems. For me, I would rather lose now anyway since if you keep winning like they were, eventually they were bound to lose at some point. Better to get that loss out of the way and get back on track.

The Bills will throw the ball a lot and seeing how the pass defense was today, I imagine they will put the ball up a lot next week. The pass rush needs to get it together, especially since the Bill o-line is not a strength.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Dude it was funny about the first 2-3 times you did it to agamemdon or whatever his name is but it's not funny and pretty classless now
it's "classless"

I'm sorry, I'm really bringing the "class" level down on the OM.....say, nice picture of John Elway's fat ass in a swimsuit smoking a cigarette.

CLASS!

OLOTROO
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Tim Tebow reminds me of Plummer.........

on Steroids with much less mental miscues.

I think we can win with this guy.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
So, if we make the playoffs... and lose by 17 points to Pittsburgh, for example... in a similar style game. I'm not sure the overall picture is much different than it is today.

Anyway, you're right in a sense... if things go dramatically one way or another from here, certainly the view could change. I just have a feeling this is the game they'll be watching over and over this offseason.
I think even if we lose to Pitt by 17 in the playoffs, the front office wont have the political capital to make a change at QB. How can you really justify that decision considering we havent made the playoffs since 05?

Also, if they watch this game over and over, i think they'll realize QB wasnt the biggest problem today.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

no
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
If the defense plays like that again, then they will have problems. For me, I would rather lose now anyway since if you keep winning like they were, eventually they were bound to lose at some point. Better to get that loss out of the way and get back on track.

The Bills will throw the ball a lot and seeing how the pass defense was today, I imagine they will put the ball up a lot next week. The pass rush needs to get it together, especially since the Bill o-line is not a strength.
Bills O-Line have allowed the least sacks in the league.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
... and "turning point" was probably the wrong phrase to use. I don't think we're any worse after today's game. In fact, it may be a nice kick in the ass.
Agreed.. out of these last 3 games this was the game they could afford to loose. The Raiders loss was just icing on the cake.. now the Chargers need to lose.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post

Apples and oranges. We wont defense them the same.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Bills O-Line have allowed the least sacks in the league.
You can name one of them?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Apples and oranges. We wont defense them the same.
Let's hope not.