The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default Chuck Klosterman on Tim Tebow

"It's easy to understand why Elway refuses to embrace Tebow. Elway came to the Broncos as the most pro-ready quarterback of his generation, yet people in Denver hammered him for 10 years. They were still making fun of his teeth in 1998. He must look at Tebow's fan base and think, Why do they love him so much? I was more polished than this guy as a senior in high school. This is insane. What am I not seeing?"

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hate-tim-tebow
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Yeah. He was more polished yet less accurate through his first 10 games. But people hammer Tebow on his accuracy......
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

A fairly interesting read.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

**** ..............really ..........we need a sarcasm smiley this **** is gettin insane
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
**** ..............really ..........we need a sarcasm smiley this **** is gettin insane
Post more about tebow in threads that have nothing to do with tebow ldo
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I really love Klosterman. If I could sit down with one person for an hour and talk about society and life, he'd be in my top 5 choices. Not a huge fan of his fiction, but his non fiction books are always interesting.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Mostly just a more intelligent than usual take on the religious hubbub that surrounds the Tebow controversy. While the criticism of Tim on the whole has had more to do with playing style, hype coming out of college, etc I thought this paragraph nailed why he elicits hate from so many casual sports fans (especially on the Internet):

Quote:
I doubt many Christians believe that God is unfairly helping Tebow win games in the AFC West. I'm sure a few hardcores might, but not many. However, I get the impression that especially antagonistic secularists assume this assumption infiltrates every aspect of Tebow's celebrity, and that explains why he's so beloved by strangers they cannot relate to. Their negative belief is that penitent, conservative Americans look at Tebow and see a man being "rewarded" for his faith, which validates the idea that believing in something abstract is more important than understanding something real. And this makes them worried about the future, because they see that thinking everywhere. It seems like the thinking that ran this country into the ground.
The Roethlisberger perception comparison was also a good take, I thought.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This is a great read, even if you don't agree with everything as I do. He hits many, many layers. Thank you for posting this.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Mostly just a more intelligent than usual take on the religious hubbub that surrounds the Tebow controversy. While the criticism of Tim on the whole has had more to do with playing style, hype coming out of college, etc I thought this paragraph nailed why he elicits hate from so many casual sports fans (especially on the Internet):

Exactly. He really captures both sides, which is helpful to some who don't understand the other. Love his brutal honesty with himself. As a reader you have immediate buy-in.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...9&postcount=24

In a thread about safeties. The people who complain about too much coverage are the media who are the one covering him and the ones who post about him constantly on here.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
A fairly interesting read.
An interesting read, but also one that attempts to downplay his influence on the game with his play, as in suggesting he "completed three passes of 20 yards or more" in the 2nd half, ie; suggesting little more needed to be said, but anyone who watched that knows that doesn't speak to what was happening in the game or what he did. I found it philosophically provoking and better than most of the drivel being written though.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Interesting piece of writing. Maybe he's right? Perhaps Tebow isn't the issue? Perhaps he's just a catalyst that drives us to peel away at the world we live in, like an onion? Times are bad and there's a struggle between faith and cynicism. He wouldn't be the first sports figure to become the metaphor of his times.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I had to look up the word pejorative.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

That was a great passage. Klosterman is the ****ing man. Always loved his nonfiction work.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Interesting piece of writing. Maybe he's right? Perhaps Tebow isn't the issue? Perhaps he's just a catalyst that drives us to peel away at the world we live in, like an onion? Times are bad and there's a struggle between faith and cynicism. He wouldn't be the first sports figure to become the metaphor of his times.
Well, Tebow DEF isnt the issue...he's really a passive public figure that people love to have an opinion on. All he does is play football and say nice things. His mere presence, based on his values and his unorthodox play, is a kickstarter for someones own self-reflective opinion.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

this

This, I think, is what makes Tebow so maddening to those who hate him: He refuses to say anything that would validate the suspicion that he's fake (or na´ve or self-righteous or dumb).

and this

It's not that he usually says the right things; he only says the right things, all the time.

love tebows talent on the field, and his personality and nonflava clown attitude off it.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Broncbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
"It's easy to understand why Elway refuses to embrace Tebow.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hate-tim-tebow
It may be easy to understand the many reasons why, but coping with it is not. Elway ought to recuse himself from the FO.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncbow View Post
It may be easy to understand the many reasons why, but coping with it is not. Elway ought to recuse himself from the FO.
You should recuse yourself from the OM.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Well, Tebow DEF isnt the issue...he's really a passive public figure that people love to have an opinion on. All he does is play football and say nice things. His mere presence, based on his values and his unorthodox play, is a kickstarter for someones own self-reflective opinion.
Yep. It goes pretty deep. Why does Iago hate Othello? Shakespeare gives no legitimate reason. Just because. Why does Snidely Whiplash hate Dudley Do-Right?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yep. It goes pretty deep. Why does Iago hate Othello? Shakespeare gives no legitimate reason. Just because. Why does Snidely Whiplash hate Dudley Do-Right?
You know...
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncbow View Post
Hey Broncbow -- I'm guessing that you're a former Tebow/Gators fan who has followed his favorite player to the NFL and the Denver Broncos. That's more than cool -- we're pleased and honored to welcome you to the family.

However, I think you should realize that most of us on this board feel the same way about John Elway that you do about Tim Tebow -- I lived and died with that man every Sunday for 13 seasons, from 1986 to 1998. He was my boyhood sports idol, and always will be.

I don't agree with his current handling of the Tebow situation -- but we Broncos fans owe him a huge debt for all he's done for the franchise over the years, and I think he has earned our patience and our respect. He's a rookie at this job, but like Tebow, he's a winner and he's going to keep coming to work and getting better. Give him a chance, and realize that comments like those above are inflammatory to us old-schoolers.

Last edited by BowlenBall; 12-06-2011 at 09:47 AM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #23
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Post more about tebow in threads that have nothing to do with tebow ldo
your screen name fits ya ;d . good advice
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Hey Broncbow -- I'm guessing that you're a former Tebow/Gators fan who has followed his favorite player to the NFL and the Denver Broncos. That's more than cool -- we're pleased and honored to welcome you to the family.

However, I think you should realize that most of us on this board feel the same way about John Elway that you do about Tim Tebow -- I lived and died with that man every Sunday for 13 seasons, from 1986 to 1998. He was my boyhood sports idol, and always will be.

I don't agree with his current handling of the Tebow situation -- but we Broncos fans owe him a huge debt for all he's done for the franchise over the years, and I think he has earned our patience and our respect. He's a rookie at this job, but like Tebow, he's a winner and he's going to keep coming to work and getting better. Give him a chance, and realize that comments like those above are inflammatory to us old-schoolers.
well said ........very well said
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...9&postcount=24

In a thread about safeties. The people who complain about too much coverage are the media who are the one covering him and the ones who post about him constantly on here.
do you understand the word sarcasm ?