The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default AFC West is still anyone's to take

Looking at the standings and the remaining schedule, it's not just the Raiders who could take the division from us, all four teams have a decent shot at winning the division crown. Here's how the schedule shapes up.

Denver Broncos 7-5 Div record 3-2 conf 6-3
Remaining schedule
Chicago
New England
AT Buffalo
Kansas City

Having the best conference and division record with 3 out of 4 home games left to play definitely puts us at a strong advantage holding all tie breakers at this point. Facing a mojo-less Bills, a depleted Chicago and the Chiefs at home will help. However we are looking banged up as well. New England is going to be picked by most as a loss and traveling east for a game and then coming back for a division opponent is never easy. We play better on the road, too, so if we went 2-2 it wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if Von can't come back.

Oakland Raiders 7-5 Div 2-2 Conf 5-5
Remaining schedule
AT Green Bay
Detroit
AT Kansas City
San Diego

Oakland looked exposed against a hot Miami team, a team Denver beat, and they still have to play the best team in football on the road and go to Kansas City where they have historically struggled, and in December where the Chiefs are one of the toughest teams to face. Then they come home against Rivers who it seems has finally turned a corner. They do get to face Detroit, who has fallen from grace, though. Still, if they win even three of those games, they can lock up the division.

Kansas City Chiefs 5-7 Div 2-2 Conf 3-6
Remaining Schedule
AT New York Jets
Green Bay
Oakland
AT Denver

KC has the worst conference record of all four teams which will hurt their chances. They also have to face the Packers. This is the game I think the Packers lose, actually. Seriously, I think the Chiefs can beat Green Bay. If they can make a late surge, and Denver and Oakland stumble, KC could win the division, though they would need some help.

San Diego Chargers 5-7 Div 2-3 Conf 4-5
Remaining Schedule
Buffalo Bills
Baltimore Ravens
AT Detroit
AT Oakland Raiders

The Chargers are in a tough spot because of their division record. However if they continue to improve and Rivers stays "normal Rivers," They could definitely win three out of the last four games they have. They could help their cause by beating the Raiders which means they would just need some help to have Denver lose. I honestly think they could win three of their last four and maybe sweep December. I am more worried about San Diego at this point than the Raiders.

Bottom line: This is still anyone's division. With four games to play, and only a half game lead on the division, this should go down to the wire and make for some good, meaningful late season games. It should be fun to watch!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Let's go get it!
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Looking at the standings and the remaining schedule, it's not just the Raiders who could take the division from us, all four teams have a decent shot at winning the division crown. Here's how the schedule shapes up.

Remaining schedule
Chicago
New England
AT Buffalo
Kansas City

Having the best conference and division record with 3 out of 4 home games left to play definitely puts us at a strong advantage holding all tie breakers at this point. Facing a mojo-less Bills, a depleted Chicago and the Chiefs at home will help. However we are looking banged up as well. New England is going to be picked by most as a loss and traveling east for a game and then coming back for a division opponent is never easy. We play better on the road, too, so if we went 2-2 it wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if Von can't come back.

Remaining schedule
AT Green Bay
Detroit
AT Kansas City
San Diego

Oakland looked exposed against a hot Miami team, a team Denver beat, and they still have to play the best team in football on the road and go to Kansas City where they have historically struggled, and in December where the Chiefs are one of the toughest teams to face. Then they come home against Rivers who it seems has finally turned a corner. They do get to face Detroit, who has fallen from grace, though. Still, if they win even three of those games, they can lock up the division.

Kansas City Chiefs 5-7 Div 2-2 Conf 3-6
Remaining Schedule
AT New York Jets
Green Bay
Oakland
AT Denver

KC has the worst conference record of all four teams which will hurt their chances. They also have to face the Packers. This is the game I think the Packers lose, actually. Seriously, I think the Chiefs can beat Green Bay. If they can make a late surge, and Denver and Oakland stumble, KC could win the division, though they would need some help.

San Diego Chargers 5-7 Div 2-3 Conf 4-5
Remaining Schedule
Buffalo Bills
Baltimore Ravens
AT Detroit
AT Oakland Raiders

The Chargers are in a tough spot because of their division record. However if they continue to improve and Rivers stays "normal Rivers," They could definitely win three out of the last four games they have. They could help their cause by beating the Raiders which means they would just need some help to have Denver lose. I honestly think they could win three of their last four and maybe sweep December. I am more worried about San Diego at this point than the Raiders.

Bottom line: This is still anyone's division. With four games to play, and only a half game lead on the division, this should go down to the wire and make for some good, meaningful late season games. It should be fun to watch!
After head to head and division record the next tiebreaker is record against common opponents which we currently are a game ahead of Oakland on. If GB beats them this week and we beat Chicago we will basically be a game up with the tiebreaker in our favor with 3 to play.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

the Broncos need to win the 2 they should win (@BUF and KC) and 1 of the 2 "tough" games on the schedule (CHI and NE) and that should be enough. that's 10-6 overall. i trust the Raiders to drop at least 2 more games (@GB, DET, @KC, SD). people picking the Raiders still are just homers like Howie "Dickface" Long and Broncos haters. Sandy Eggo still scares me, but we're done playing them and as long as the Broncos take care of business (win 3 of the next 4), they control their own destiny IMHO.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

If we beat Chicago, KC and Buffalo, we take it.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
the Broncos need to win the 2 they should win (@BUF and KC) and 1 of the 2 "tough" games on the schedule (CHI and NE) and that should be enough. that's 10-6 overall. i trust the Raiders to drop at least 2 more games (@GB, DET, @KC, SD). people picking the Raiders still are just homers like Howie "Dickface" Long and Broncos haters. Sandy Eggo still scares me, but we're done playing them and as long as the Broncos take care of business (win 3 of the next 4), they control their own destiny IMHO.
i think the raiders beat detroit. they're a shell of their former self, with no run game and no plan should megatron be bracketed for 60 minutes. their defense is suspect beyond their front 4 and they are the raiders' equal at committing moronic penalties. coming across country will mean a loss for them. BUT...the chargers will beat the raiders, effectively eliminating them.

you're right that if we go 3-1, we win it outright. but even if we go 2-2, i think our chances are better than good to still get the division.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
i think the raiders beat detroit. they're a shell of their former self, with no run game and no plan should megatron be bracketed for 60 minutes. their defense is suspect beyond their front 4 and they are the raiders' equal at committing moronic penalties. coming across country will mean a loss for them. BUT...the chargers will beat the raiders, effectively eliminating them.

you're right that if we go 3-1, we win it outright. but even if we go 2-2, i think our chances are better than good to still get the division.
Agree, as long as one of the two wins is against KC. That means we can't lose the division record tiebreaker and then it goes to common games which is advantage us

First Tiebreaker

Division Record

Oakland 2-2

Denver 3-2

Second Tiebreaker

Common Games

Oakland 4-4. Remaining: GB, Det, KC, SD

Denver 5-3. Remaining: Chi, NE, Buffalo, KC
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wrong. The division goes to Denver. These other teams suck.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Agree, as long as one of the two wins is against KC. That means we can't lose the division record tiebreaker and then it goes to common games which is advantage us

First Tiebreaker

Division Record

Oakland 2-2

Denver 3-2

Second Tiebreaker

Common Games

Oakland 4-4. Remaining: GB, Det, KC, SD

Denver 5-3. Remaining: Chi, NE, Buffalo, KC
Basically 2-2 with one of the wins against KC gets us the division unless Oakland goes 3-1. As long as they don't upset GB this Sunday that means they would have to go 3-0 after that
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

We've got one division game left and 3 conference games...
The raiders just have two division games, both winnables...

We need to go 3-1 for us to take the division...
Buffalo worries me because it's an east coast game, and we don't play well in Buffalo...
Starts with Chicago this weekend for us, as the raiders play Detroit and GB back to back in the next two weeks. Tough for them
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
We've got one division game left and 3 conference games...
The raiders just have two division games, both winnables...

We need to go 3-1 for us to take the division...
Buffalo worries me because it's an east coast game, and we don't play well in Buffalo...
Starts with Chicago this weekend for us, as the raiders play Detroit and GB back to back in the next two weeks. Tough for them
I didn't get the memo re Chicago moving to the AFC.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I predict:

Broncos 4-0
Raiders 2-2
KC 1-3
Chargers 1-3
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

What needs to happen

Beating Oakland: If they win out, we would need to as well. Assuming they go 3-1 the rest of the way, we would have to beat KC and any two other teams. If they get hot, we'll have to stay hot, and either way, beating KC is critical.

Beating the Chargers: Due to conference and division record, any two wins eliminates the Chargers, even if they go 4-0, which would put the Raiders out as they play them.

Beating the Chiefs: They win out, which would mean they beat us, we would need to win the three previous games or they would take the division if Oakland lost at least one more game. If they drop one game, winning any two puts us in.

So we need at least two games, one being the Chiefs, or beating Buffalo, New England and Chicago puts us in.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I didn't get the memo re Chicago moving to the AFC.
Division game: KC
Conference games as AFC Conference: Buffalo, NE, KC

We're talking final record as it applies to conference overall record and division records for tie-breaker purposes...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
BroncoBeavis

We're pretty much a lock to have the tiebreaker over either the Chargers or Raiders, whoever loses their matchup. We're likely to have a tiebreaker on either.

And did someone say Chiefs? ha!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Turd_Ferguson

Quote:
Remaining schedule
AT Green Bay
Detroit
AT Kansas City
San Diego

Detroit hasnt really fallen from grace, as much as they have played the 2 best teams in the NFC back to back. I think/hope Oakland will finish 1-3. KC might not win another game. I think San Diego may be the one to worry about.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I think it will come down to the last game and we should take the division
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
BroncoBeavis

I'd say as long as we beat the Chiefs, 2-2 over the next 4 probably wins the Division.

Chargers would have to win out just to tie us, but we'd still hold the better division record. If this week is any indication, I don't like the Raiders chances against the Chargers, which would mean the Raiders would lose to us on division record as well.

Plus that would be at least their second loss (in addition to GB this week) which would make the tiebreaker win the day.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
What needs to happen

Beating Oakland: If they win out, we would need to as well. Assuming they go 3-1 the rest of the way, we would have to beat KC and any two other teams. If they get hot, we'll have to stay hot, and either way, beating KC is critical.

Quote:
Beating the Chiefs: They win out, which would mean they beat us, we would need to win the three previous games or they would take the division if Oakland lost at least one more game. If they drop one game, winning any two puts us in.

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
Detroit hasnt really fallen from grace, as much as they have played the 2 best teams in the NFC back to back. I think/hope Oakland will finish 1-3. KC might not win another game. I think San Diego may be the one to worry about.
Don't give too much credit to Sandy Eggo for beating one of the worst teams in the league, who just lost their coach, oh yeah, and got sold.

They might (and that's a 'might') beat the Bills, but they'll lose their final three.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Division game: KC
Conference games as AFC Conference: Buffalo, NE, KC

We're talking final record as it applies to conference overall record and division records for tie-breaker purposes...
Guys, conference record won't matter as a tiebreaker unless we are tied in division record and games against common opponents.

All we have to do is have the same record as Oakland over the next 4 games with one of our wins being against KC and we clinch. Simple as that.

If they go 2-2 and we go 2-2 with one of the wins being against KC its over.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #22
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

actually, this is all more complicated than it needs to be.

what we REALLY need is for Tyrell Jones to come in here, predict the Raiders to finish 4-0 to take the division while we finish 0-4. that's all it takes for us to lock it up.

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
I think San Diego may be the one to worry about.
Yup. Their MO has been winning at the end of the season and they looked pretty darn good last night. Will be interesting to see if they do it again this year. Hope not.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Don't give too much credit to Sandy Eggo for beating one of the worst teams in the league, who just lost their coach, oh yeah, and got sold.

They might (and that's a 'might') beat the Bills, but they'll lose their final three.
I'd say it's 1/2 credit to SD. The other 1/2 looking at what happened in MIA.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:

Remaining schedule
Chicago
New England
AT Buffalo
Kansas City

We get an extra day for this since we play the Bills on a Saturday though.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote