The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default The Team "Would run through a brick wall for John Fox"

First, apologies in advance for not making this thread about Tebow.

I was listening to Vic and Gary this morning. Vic was doing his post game locker room interviews for CBS 4 and the whole team started cheering like they won the lottery. Vic asked Mario Haggan what they were screaming about and he said "Fox. We'd run through a wall for that guy."

It's nice to have a coach the players are behind for a change. When you think of the different pieces on our team. Most of the starters are still here from last and yet they are playing better and with more enthusiasm, yes, I think they support Tebow, but I also think they love Fox and that's a good thing.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I was listening to Vic and Gary this morning. Vic was doing his post game locker room interviews for CBS 4 and the whole team started cheering like they won the lottery. Vic asked Mario Haggan what they were screaming about and he said "Fox. We'd run through a wall for that guy."

It's nice to have a coach the players are behind for a change. When you think of the different pieces on our team. Most of the starters are still here from last and yet they are playing better and with more enthusiasm, yes, I think they support Tebow, but I also think they love Fox and that's a good thing.
This is exactly why he was the right coach after McD. The players love him, he's not a reactionary coach, he understands how the players think and he loves winning.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
And stopped reading and you are not forgiven. Expect a battle on the podcast tomorrow over this. *smacking you with white glove*
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Also Fox is willing to admit mistakes and went with a new QB and even changing the offense to better succeed. In the beginning of the season, I had doubts with the offense with Orton so bad and the defense looking like it did before he came to the team. But both are better and you have to give Fox credit for willing to make changes, which not every coach is willing to do.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Fox is proving to be the right man for the job at the right time. I wonder who decided that he should be the hire?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Fox appears to know how to manage people which is ultimately what the team is made of (I know that sounds Madden-esque). He clearly lets his coaches do their thing and he works with the big picture. He really appears to be a complete coach ni that sense.

McDaniels was a social idiot and a guy that clearly obsessed over the minutiae. He did not understand the basics of interacting with his coaches and players. Shanahan was prejudiced in favour of offense.

I love these qualities in Fox.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Elway was right , Fox was the best man for the job .........To bad Kaylor is a Tebow hater I kinda liked Kaylor , but now he is going to hell
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Fox appears to know how to manage people which is ultimately what the team is made of (I know that sounds Madden-esque). He clearly lets his coaches do their thing and he works with the big picture. He really appears to be a complete coach ni that sense.

McDaniels was a social idiot and a guy that clearly obsessed over the minutiae. He did not understand the basics of interacting with his coaches and players. Shanahan was prejudiced in favour of offense.

To be a great coach, one has to be able to manage crisis well, but also willing to make adjustments.

The Packers' McCarthy was willing to make Rodgers his QB over Favre when that wan't so popular by everyone at least. Now look at them.

The Steelers' Tomlin came to the Steelers with really only a 4-3 defense experience, but kept their DC and keeping the 3-4 defense they have used to great success for many years. And look at how he has done.

Being able to adapt is important and that is key to being a great coach IMO.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

glad to see Fox doing well. he was the guy i wanted in the off season(couldn't for the life of me figure out why we were after so many offensive minded guys)
Elway has made some very nice calls so far, it started out rough, but he has done a very nice job as a rookie on the job.

now the main thing is building upon this success and maintaining it. hopefully in two seasons we are where the Packers are at.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
And stopped reading and you are not forgiven. Expect a battle on the podcast tomorrow over this. *smacking you with white glove*
Tebow is made of poo!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

What's interesting to me is the change for Fox since last year. He knew in 2009 that Richardson was going to axe the payroll and axe him at the end of his contract, and 2010 in charlotte was going to be about one thing: low payroll in prepartion for what Richardson wanted which was to break the union even it that meant cancelling the entire season.

The whole Car experience was toxic the last two years. During the last 2 years, Fox's staff shed three guys who are now off or def coords, the dline coach at GB, special teams at Lions and linebackers for Saban at Ala. Steve Smith was willing to do anything to get out of Car until he saw Cam.

It's like Fox was liberated.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
vonqkilla

Its a regular happy love fest these days.

Big concern is mounting injuries.

Carter, Royal, McGahee, Clady, Von, etc..
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Tebow is made of poo!
If this is true, then we are rolling around in ****.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What has impressed me most about Fox so far is his willingness to go with change. Coming in, he had his system. He thought Orton would be the best at running that system. When it clearly wasn't working, he benched Orton, brought in Tebow, and devised a new system for his new QB, which he has been tinkering with ever since. Do you think Shanahan, or Norv, or any of the old guard would have done that? In the middle of an ongoing season? I don't. I think they would have been looking for trades.

Plus, Fox keeps his cool. In fact, he reminds me of a sergeant I had in the army whose nickname was "Cool Breeze." No matter what happened, he was just on the same, smooth wavelength, like he had himself set on cruise control. Fox has that quality. I'll bet it gives the players a sense of calm too. Let's face it. Tebow has brought a ****storm of excitement to Denver. It must be nice to have a calm center in the storm.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

that scares the **** out of me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post
Its a regular happy love fest these days.

Big concern is mounting injuries.

Carter, Royal, McGahee, Clady, Von, etc..
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Tebow is made of poo!
Dear, you know what this is missing right?

either that or this

Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

That's the gist of it. Fox kept the majority of McDaniels' players and at least half of his coaching staff, yet this looks and feels like a different team.

Part of that is having two young fire starters in Tebow and Miller. Part of that is McGahee as the bell cow back we've lacked for several years (even pre-McDaniels when Shanahan couldn't get a back to stay healthy more than a month).

But at least as big as that has been Fox letting his guys do their damn jobs. We aren't running Fox's defense from Carolina, we're running a new almost 46 style 4-3/5-2 mash up that Allen has put together. McCoy and Gase are free to come up with their offense and pick Tebow's and Thomas's brains for new wrinkles they can add. Magazu is actually whipping this young line into shape.

Its crazy what happens when these highly qualified, highly paid coaches we've hired are allowed to actually coach their guys and aren't being micromanaged and undercut from day one.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
What has impressed me most about Fox so far is his willingness to go with change. Coming in, he had his system. He thought Orton would be the best at running that system. When it clearly wasn't working, he benched Orton, brought in Tebow, and devised a new system for his new QB, which he has been tinkering with ever since. Do you think Shanahan, or Norv, or any of the old guard would have done that? In the middle of an ongoing season? I don't. I think they would have been looking for trades.

Plus, Fox keeps his cool. In fact, he reminds me of a sergeant I had in the army whose nickname was "Cool Breeze." No matter what happened, he was just on the same, smooth wavelength, like he had himself set on cruise control. Fox has that quality. I'll bet it gives the players a sense of calm too. Let's face it. Tebow has brought a ****storm of excitement to Denver. It must be nice to have a calm center in the storm.
I agree that Fox is pretty unique in his willingness to give new things a chance. I've never been too sold on the idea that Fox really has a system. Some Car posters were really down on Fox because he typically had the two-headed tailback scheme, and typically had conservative run-oriented game plans/play calls, and qbs who didn't have a whole lot of natl ability. To me he's been more like Mike Nolan - he's a professional defensive coach who actually played college ball with .... gasp, Herm. He wants to run more than some coaches, and he wants to pressure the other team's qb, but like Nolan he's not so tied to a set scheme.

Teams disrespected our passing game with Orton. Our play action didn't scare anyone. But I look at Tebow's play since he took over, and his improvement is glaringly obvious. So obvious that I believe even more in the reports of how bad he looked in the abbreviated training camp. Fox was pressured into going with Tebow in that he wasn't left much choice. Orton had to go, and if he put in Quinn the peasants would burn down Sports Authority at Mile High. Tebow "sucked" in the traditional 3-5 step/play action.

Fox and McCoy knew they wanted to force teams to bring up 8 guys to stop the run, and kill them with play action. That was the plan from Day One. So, they ran Tebow. And Tebow is slowly showing he can make plays with his arm. What impressed me about them is how they've used the personnel they have to get where they want to go. It's not so much that they devised a scheme for Tebow, imo, but that they wanted to force 8 in the box, and used Tebow's existing skills in a way to force it. It may be uncoventional in some ways, but the sum of what they're doing isn't any different with the Shanny/Kubes zone blocking that forced defenses to over commit, and then gash them with the pass.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
This is exactly why he was the right coach after McD. The players love him, he's not a reactionary coach, he understands how the players think and he loves winning.
Benching Orton and inserting Tebow as the starter was sort of reactionary to the fan pressure, though, wouldn't you think?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Dawkins tweet:

"ths is nothing new. But it's the truth T.E.A.M T ogether E verybody A chieves M ore. #BIDB Believe In Dem Broncos" -- @Brian Dawkins, the Broncos' 16-year veteran safety.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Benching Orton and inserting Tebow as the starter was sort of reactionary to the fan pressure, though, wouldn't you think?
He didn't give into the pressure until there was simply no logical reason not too. Den was gonna go worse than 4-12 with Orton. No matter how bad Tebow was, there was no reason to not find out how bad, good, it was.

I think what posters are giving him credit for was doing whatever he could to take advantage of what Tebow brought to the table. It's not like EFX pulled an Irsay and chose to go 0-16 to get Luck. They tried to win some games. I'm not going to sit here and type that I think a team can consistently win in the NFL running the ball 50Plus times and throwing 10. It won't win consistently. What pissed me off about the Tebowites and former McJo****es was the crap about "oh they're not behind Tim." BS. They gave Tebow an offense that allowed him to be able to get on the field, and told him what he needed to do to show them he's the guy. He's getting better,every week.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #22
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
No, if they were 4-1, I doubt he goes with Tebow. But they were 1-4 and playing half dead, so he had to change something.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That's the gist of it. Fox kept the majority of McDaniels' players and at least half of his coaching staff, yet this looks and feels like a different team.

Part of that is having two young fire starters in Tebow and Miller. Part of that is McGahee as the bell cow back we've lacked for several years (even pre-McDaniels when Shanahan couldn't get a back to stay healthy more than a month).

But at least as big as that has been Fox letting his guys do their damn jobs. We aren't running Fox's defense from Carolina, we're running a new almost 46 style 4-3/5-2 mash up that Allen has put together. McCoy and Gase are free to come up with their offense and pick Tebow's and Thomas's brains for new wrinkles they can add. Magazu is actually whipping this young line into shape.

Its crazy what happens when these highly qualified, highly paid coaches we've hired are allowed to actually coach their guys and aren't being micromanaged and undercut from day one.
Agree completely with all points. However, I also think that Magazu is the unsung hero on this coaching staff. In time, he is a legitimate contender to Alex Gibbs for the title as greatest Broncos OL coach, imo.
R8R H8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Agree completely with all points. However, I also think that Magazu is the unsung hero on this coaching staff. In time, he is a legitimate contender to Alex Gibbs for the title as greatest Broncos OL coach, imo.
Yes, I agree since that unit has had the toughest job of making changes to the offense and changes to the protection and blocking schemes. Seeing how they are playing now from the Lions' game shows vast improvement to say the least.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Dawkins tweet:

"ths is nothing new. But it's the truth T.E.A.M T ogether E verybody A chieves M ore. #BIDB Believe In Dem Broncos" -- @Brian Dawkins, the Broncos' 16-year veteran safety.
Dawkins had an awesome game yesterday. The Iggles must be kicking themselves in the ass over that stupid mistake. Did you see him on the sidelines, firing up the D?