The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default 1st/2nd half playcalling differences (with caps).

Why is there consistently such a discrepancy between 1st and 2nd half playcalling? Anyone have any explanation for this? I realize they are FORCED to play better and more aggressive in 2nd half or just lose the game, but I dont get why they dont open it up atleast a little earlier?

Maybe they are running 3 downs early to see if they can win the game without passing like the Raiders/Chiefs game...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Only the flies on foxes office walls know its absolutely infuriating from a fans standpoint.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
IHaveALight
the sun is gone
 
IHaveALight's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,272
Default

It's all about starting with a game plan and then making adjustments after seeing what the other team is doing.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
Why is there consistently such a discrepancy between 1st and 2nd half playcalling? Anyone have any explanation for this? I realize they are FORCED to play better and more aggressive in 2nd half or just lose the game, but I dont get why they dont open it up atleast a little earlier?

Maybe they are running 3 downs early to see if they can win the game without passing like the Raiders/Chiefs game...
What aggravates me is that they doggedly stick to run, run, run, even when it's not effective. If you are getting good chunks every time you run, fine, but when you are getting stuffed half the time, you have to use the pass game or you're just going to be punting all day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Armchair Bronco
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

McCoy is an enigma. What was he thinking NOT having Tebow run when it was third and inches? If he doesn't get this, he doesn't get it. I still maintain that Tebow is winning IN SPITE of the play calling, not because of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,760
Default

Whatever it is it just seems to work
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Fox wants Tebow to lose so that they can select their QB.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,875
Default

I refuse to complain about winning
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,736

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What aggravates me is that they doggedly stick to run, run, run, even when it's not effective. If you are getting good chunks every time you run, fine, but when you are getting stuffed half the time, you have to use the pass game or you're just going to be punting all day.
Well, it did force the? Tp put 8 in the box which led to DT dominating.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
I refuse to complain about winning
Exactly, Fox stated that they have no idea how the defense will play against their spread/option offense. So everything is new. Once they get these teams on film they wil be able to attack them more efficiently earlier in the game.

I do not understand why people get angry with the runs up the middle. A lot of those are read options where tebow decides if he will hand the ball off or keep it. McGahee is having a career year so what is the problem with the runs up the middle again? There was a 24 yard TD run that was basically up the middle. Teams are going to have to spend a lot of time on defending the read option but they will not have to if Denver stops running the ball up the middle. You have to keep the pressure on the defense. Every time Denver fakes the run up the middle the defense is attacking that RB taking the defender out of the play because he is tackling a guy who does not have the ball.

This is simple football, surley everyone can see this. I believe denver will pass more as the coaches can see tebow can handle the extra workload with out throwing INTs and making costly mistakes, but while they run this offense the RB dive will be a vital part of it. It really sets everyting else up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,805
Default

We just win every week... and every week the coaches are idiots.

Here's a thought to consider... maybe they have some clue what they're doing?

Maybe there's a method to what you're seeing?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
We just win every week... and every week the coaches are idiots.

Here's a thought to consider... maybe they have some clue what they're doing?

Maybe there's a method to what you're seeing?

They thought about having only 1 firstdown in the first half? they thought punting every series cause they refused to throw the ball was good coaching? i saw piss poor play calling again in the first half and them letting tebow throw the ball proved it.

They do this every week and we have to win it in the second half again now the question is (do we have to win games like this every week)? or is playing in the first half till the end of the game a bad idea?


Yes we are winning but i think our team needs some improvement in the play calling department cause i dont see how running the ball into a brick wall on 3rd down and then punting puts points on the board.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
They thought about having only 1 firstdown in the first half? they thought punting every series cause they refused to throw the ball was good coaching? i saw piss poor play calling again in the first half and them letting tebow throw the ball proved it.

They do this every week and we have to win it in the second half again now the question is (do we have to win games like this every week)? or is playing in the first half till the end of the game a bad idea?


Yes we are winning but i think our team needs some improvement in the play calling department cause i dont see how running the ball into a brick wall on 3rd down and then punting puts points on the board.
It's a weak argument that has no basis in reality that claims the coaches are doing the right thing running on long 3rd downs and punting, much less that that has actually been helping us win games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
They thought about having only 1 firstdown in the first half? they thought punting every series cause they refused to throw the ball was good coaching? i saw piss poor play calling again in the first half and them letting tebow throw the ball proved it.

They do this every week and we have to win it in the second half again now the question is (do we have to win games like this every week)? or is playing in the first half till the end of the game a bad idea?


Yes we are winning but i think our team needs some improvement in the play calling department cause i dont see how running the ball into a brick wall on 3rd down and then punting puts points on the board.

They're throwing the ball when they need to.

It's working.

When it stops working, I assume they'll make changes.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Fox mentioned this in the presser -- in a very cryptic way -- about we need to make an "adjustment" sooner. I think he wants to hold his staff accountable to adjust the playcalling sooner than the second half.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
vonqkilla
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Its not just 1st vs 2nd. Its are within 6 pts, run run run
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
They're throwing the ball when they need to.

It's working.

When it stops working, I assume they'll make changes.
It will bite us in the ass someday i just prefer to play 4 solid quarters instead of 2.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Fox mentioned this in the presser -- in a very cryptic way -- about we need to make an "adjustment" sooner. I think he wants to hold his staff accountable to adjust the playcalling sooner than the second half.

That's exactly what i am getting at i am glad fox at least recognizes the problem.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Well, it did force the? Tp put 8 in the box which led to DT dominating.
That will happen with a more balanced attack as well. Teams know how well we can run, and if they play standard seven man fronts against us, we'll destroy them. That's the point. We need to be more balanced, let the defense pick their poison and then shove said poison straight down their throat. Constantly running against eight man fronts is the opposite of that approach...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

That safety should have never happened and the poor play call should take the blame i was praying those 2 points didn't come back to haunt us.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
vonqkilla
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

When we show run on third and short, it fails, see mcgahee after Teebs 1st down 8 yard run last week. Again after 8 yard gain on 1st, run, run, punt.

When we show by formation we could run or pass, we can gain a yard everytime. 3Rd and 2 or more, teams blitz our run and it fails. See the safety also.

Last edited by vonqkilla; 12-04-2011 at 04:55 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post
When we show run on third and short, it fails, see mcgahee after Teebs 1st down 8 yard run last week. Again after 8 yard gain on 1st, run, run, punt.

When we show by formation we could run or pass, we can a yard everytime. 3Rd and 2 or more, teams blitz our run and it fails.
Another excellent point. The fact that we are so often so predictable out of certain situations and formations does not help things at all. A big one for me is the fact that if Tebow lines up under center it's a run 90+% of the time. do you think defenses don't see that massive tendency?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,032
Default

They gotta start run faking on short yardage.

The big plays are there with opposing defenses selling out to overwhelm the Broncos' blockers.

Apparently, just faking once a game is asking too much.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
Armchair Bronco
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Let's not forget that while Tebow is trying to improve each week, he's also responsible for mentoring McCoy on the read option. When your rook knows more than the OC and is also his mentor, don't be surprised if the play calling bites.

:facepalm:
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,541

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

They just don't want to do it until their hand is forced... but it'd be nice if they decided to play with a lead for once :/

We should come out of the gate throwing vs NE or there's prayer of victory.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Schefter's Blog-I wish we had both 1st rounders in 2010 Denver724 Orange Mane Central Discussion 52 11-18-2009 11:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Denver Broncos