The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Tim Tebow is an overblown phenomenon

This figures to spark some memorable discussion...

Quote:
THE DREAM OF AMERICA -- a meritocracy -- is the basic draw of sports: your best against mine, the scoreboard oblivious to pedigree, race, class or gender. The promise of pure competition is perhaps the biggest reason we watch.

Except that it's a lie. Merit remains what it has always been: a myth. Pedigree, race, class, gender, politics or something as simple as good looks might not determine sports outcomes as it might, say, Ivy League admissions, but it has always affected the final score -- especially if you happen to monitor more than just points.

Take Andy Dalton, the surprising quarterback of the surprising Bengals. The rookie has put up a fine season, especially given his charge of replacing Pro Bowler Carson Palmer. So have Matthew Stafford in Detroit and the redeemed Alex Smith in San Francisco. Each QB may take his team to the playoffs. Yet the saga of the season revolves around Tim Tebow, the most polarizing figure in the NFL. Since winning Denver's starting job after Week 5 via fan coup, he's shown a determination to win and an ability to shine in crunch time. He has admirable guts and a leader's spirit. He isn't, however, a particularly good quarterback.

Maybe it's the college success, the squeaky-clean image, the in-game toughness, his religion or the underdog, populist nature of his success. Whatever the reason for Tebow becoming a phenomenon, it has little do with merit. He is all passion, for and against, all anecdote, all subjectivity. Where one fan sees a gutsy comeback, another sees that a better QB would have made a comeback unnecessary. Tebow's ball protection is either evidence of leadership or simple probability, for throwing interceptions is really hard to do when you're handing off 50 times a game.

His legend began to grow during a five-game midseason stretch that saw the surging Denver defense give up just 15.5 points per game in four wins. To his minions, Tebow's leadership was responsible for rousing rookie linebacker Von Miller. But his own play was awful. The QB didn't throw for 200 yards once, complete half of his passes against any one opponent or -- outside of the Lions, who mashed him 45-10 -- catch a good team on the upswing. It's clear Tebow is a project, a tough kid trying to find his way, and this is where sports' meritocracy breaks down in favor of star power and the cult of personality.

What makes the fervor surrounding Tebow all the more baffling is that his on-field skill set isn't particularly unusual, for there have been other unorthodox quarterbacks -- Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton and Michael Vick, for example -- who constantly fought being measured by what they couldn't do. Other than victory by anemia, we're not seeing anything new.

For the most recent history lesson, enter Vince Young -- national college champion, electric runner and big athlete. In 2006, he took up under center for the Titans, and the needle screeched off the record. When he scanned a defense, he looked more like he was staring at a chalkboard, woefully attempting to grasp the secret of the combustion engine. When he threw the football, dog owners rejoiced: He looked just like them tossing a Frisbee on the beach. But like Tebow, Young won. He made the Pro Bowl twice and guided his team to the playoffs in his second year. Thing was, while Young was terrific in the short term when he was surprising defenses, it was not sustainable. As a starter, he's thrown 42 touchdowns and 42 interceptions. He's now serving as Vick's sub in Philadelphia.

A similar fate awaits Tebow. There's a chance that at some point -- after playoff victories and regularly engineering more than one TD drive a game -- we'll look back and see that his humble beginnings actually marked the start of a remarkable career. But today, the furor around him sounds and feels like noise. Little of it has to do with Tebow himself and more with what his hungry public needs him to be -- a public that ignores that his coaches are protecting him better than they did Kyle Orton (who was allowed to throw an average of 31 passes per game to Tebow's 23), as the terrific Broncos' running game and defense emerge.

But the public won't be able to ignore Tebow's failings forever. Wait until the NFL has a season's worth of game film on him. My suspicion is that merit will return Tebow to the bench, where his season started. In the meantime, I am far more willing to believe in the legend of Von Miller.
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/s...lented-rookies
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I'm so sick of the "wait until they get more film" argument. First it was "a few games." Now it's "a whole season."

The fact is nothing we're doing is mysterious. They know what we're doing and they still can't stop it. And it's not because "they haven't figured it out" but because with Tebow, the option is a b**** to prepare for and defend and teams face us maybe once and so they don't have the time to dedicate to defeating an option play. We're out-executing. Period.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

put in one of your kids pop warner football home movies...there's not much to this offense
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yay for another, he can't pass as we ignore the run, article!

This guy is a moron. They are protecting Tebow more than Orton by running and playing defense... Or Tebow opens up the run and doesn't continually put the defense in bad position, like Orton. He also doesn't kill momentum like Orton. He also excells when we need him to score gor the win, unlike Orton...

Haters gonna hate.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm so sick of the "wait until they get more film" argument...
The guy makes some good points here and there but his overall argument has some major holes. There's no "merit" in going 5-1?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm so sick of the "wait until they get more film" argument. First it was "a few games." Now it's "a whole season."

The fact is nothing we're doing is mysterious. They know what we're doing and they still can't stop it. And it's not because "they haven't figured it out" but because with Tebow, the option is a b**** to prepare for and defend and teams face us maybe once and so they don't have the time to dedicate to defeating an option play. We're out-executing. Period.
Oh yeah. Well just wait until they have 10 years worth of tape! Then defenses are really gonna lock that mother****er down!!!!

alkjsdfbriangrieseaifdpkyleortonzafjdajlakjfd;lajk fdfdl;lennywallsjlkjajd;fljakaf!!!!!

You're right. The arguments keep adjusting about why Tebow will fail.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Not really. Stupid writer fails to acknowledge TT is playing at a much higher level than VY at the same point. Stupid writer also fails to realize VY could have been very successful if he had stayed out of the clubs, committed to improving and didn't suffer from depression.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:

And if he makes the playoffs, they'll say he has to win a championship. It's crazy how the people who hate him really, really hate him.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Not really.. it just requires players to commit and stick with their coverage.. that's about it. Once teams start doing that, this offense won't be all that difficult to stop. If the option was all that, all teams would be doing it. They aren't for a reason.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

I just read this in ESPN the magazine, it was the first article.

All the comparisons to the wildcat, Flutie, and calls of "gimmick" remind me that people love to criticize those who try something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post
You're right. The arguments keep adjusting about why Tebow will fail.
This article is predicting playoff victories before failure. They're definitely moving the goalposts.

Last edited by Blart; 12-02-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Not really.. it just requires players to commit and stick with their coverage.. that's about it. Once teams start doing that, this offense won't be all that difficult to stop. If the option was all that, all teams would be doing it. They aren't for a reason.
Unless our guys are able to beat the one defender that is open. If you have the players, the option is almost impossible to stop.

No, they wouldn't. Not even Young or Vick can run like Tebow and withstand the punishment. Tebow has a rare combination of size and athletisism. If every team could find the players, they would absolutely run the option. Just look at the wildcat phenomenon. That is a much more simplistic option that used two RBs. Tons of offenses used it and you can't do even close to as much with it.

Last edited by jhns; 12-02-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:

i'd like to go on record as the first on the OM to state:

"sure, you can win ONE superbowl with Tebow, but you'll never repeat with Tebow as your QB!"

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

* * * * all the haters, This is getting more annoying than Lindsay Lohan coverage on tv and internet.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Yeah I've heard this argument. 1. NFL Defense's are too fast. 2. It's antiquated.

Let me refute both.

1. The option is predicated on putting a lot of pressure on the QB to make snap-second decisions based on what he reads. This in turn forces the defenders to be incredibly disciplined - ALL GAME EVERY DOWN. That's hard. Asking any defender in the pro's how they like defending the option. They'll tell you they hate it. The ends play contain, the linebackers have to spy and the corners have to tackle - these are all things pro defenders hate doing because they usually don't have to and it doesn't give them any sexy sacks. Additionally, it messes with their heads because on the occasions that they do actually throw, you can be caught peeking in the backfield. The offensive players executing the plays are faster in the pro's just like the defenders, so while a pure option offense might not be viable every game, option concepts absolutely can be as evidenced over the last six weeks.

2. College has basically shifted to the spread offense with most having some option plays thrown in over the last ten years. This means players coming out of college know how to play in it. It also means the most forward thinking programs are going to it. That is the opposite of "antiquated".

3. As WhoIsJohnGalt mentioned in another thread: "Passing is gay" - Vince Lombardi.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

This is all you need to know about Tebow.

Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
Slightly Soiled
Angling for VP.

Mitt watch this!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gerald Willhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
There's no "merit" in going 5-1?
Not to mention 2 nat'l championships and a Heisman.
Slightly Soiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

incomprehensible fictional stats?

= Bob Fail

:facepalm
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Yes.. and again.. this is all fine and good in theory, until Tebow takes a shot that puts him out of service for 8 games, or requires surgery. I don't care how "tough" he is. He has already taken some pretty wicked shots. He really -will- need heavenly intervention, to get through even a few years in the NFL without an injury, running it as much as he does.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
Slightly Soiled
Angling for VP.

Mitt watch this!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gerald Willhite

How much tape is trere on A Rodgers?? The point being if you execute better than your opponent you generally win no matter how much TAPE they have.
Slightly Soiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yes.. and again.. this is all fine and good in theory, until Tebow takes a shot that puts him out of service for 8 games, or requires surgery. I don't care how "tough" he is. He has already taken some pretty wicked shots. He really -will- need heavenly intervention, to get through even a few years in the NFL without an injury, running it as much as he does.
There are many smaller RBs that take a ton more punishment than Tebow, and have lasted years. Good to know you are confident in him getting injuted though. That is a great last resort for haters.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Seems to me that as he develops as a passer, he'll run less, not more. I know this is the NFL but how many games did he miss while running it at Florida?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Yeah I've heard this argument. 1. NFL Defense's are too fast. 2. It's antiquated.

Let me refute both.

1. The option is predicated on putting a lot of pressure on the QB to make snap-second decisions based on what he reads. This in turn forces the defenders to be incredibly disciplined - ALL GAME EVERY DOWN. That's hard. Asking any defender in the pro's how they like defending the option. They'll tell you they hate it. The ends play contain, the linebackers have to spy and the corners have to tackle - these are all things pro defenders hate doing because they usually don't have to and it doesn't give them any sexy sacks. Additionally, it messes with their heads because on the occasions that they do actually throw, you can be caught peeking in the backfield. The offensive players executing the plays are faster in the pro's just like the defenders, so while a pure option offense might not be viable every game, option concepts absolutely can be as evidenced over the last six weeks.

2. College has basically shifted to the spread offense with most having some option plays thrown in over the last ten years. This means players coming out of college know how to play in it. It also means the most forward thinking programs are going to it. That is the opposite of "antiquated".

3. As WhoIsJohnGalt mentioned in another thread: "Passing is gay" - Vince Lombardi.
Exactly...The read option in the NFL is an incredibly viable play. For one, the play side is a ZONE run...we've all watched this for years in Denver...its actually a nice evolution on the play because it contains a backside option that, technically, should hold two more defenders, creating a natural mismatch (7 on 6) on the playside. Should those two defenders commit to the run, then Tebow can take it (as he has many times for big gains already)

Also, as mentioned, it requires discipline EVERY DOWN, and since football is more muscle memory than cerebral, and because NFL teams never face it, good luck being disciplined on stopping it.

And one of the biggest reasons the read option isnt used in the pros is because no one wants to put their multi million dollar investment (QB) in constant harms way. In addition, the NFL has been sold as a passing league and coaches never like thinking outside the box.

As with ANY running play, you need to learn how to pass effectively to keep it fresh. Sure, you could shut down the zone read by blitzing the **** out of it, but it would leave you VERY vulnerable in the pass.

So as long as Tim continues to improve the passing, theres no reason to think the zone read will suddenly get "shut down"
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Hmmm author mentions Young's equal amounts of TD's and Ints, but fails to say what Tebow's is? I wonder why?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
lolcopter

I'm just glad out QB isn't a p***Y anymore
Old 12-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

Thanks for that clarification Bob. These random numbers with the heading "Ratings" really showed me how stupid I have been.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote