The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Fox for coach of the year?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...fox-coach-year

Is John Fox the coach of the year?

But if the Denver Broncos win the AFC West, or even if they make the playoffs as a wild card, John Fox should be Coach of the Year. In his first season with the Broncos, Fox has rebuilt the defense, switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and made a radical midseason shift, benching quarterback Kyle Orton for Tim Tebow and an option-heavy offense. It probably won't work forever -- this is a passing league, after all -- but Tebow is working right now.

Fox doesn't want the credit, but he deserves it.

Even if the intention of switching to Tebow during the bye week, when the Broncos were 1-4, was to let Tebow demonstrate why he is not a legitimate starting quarterback, it doesn't matter. Like the rest of the Broncos, Fox seems to be all-in on Tebow.

Denver is 5-1 with Tebow as the starter. The Broncos have vaulted from tied for 25th in rushing through the first four weeks of the season, averaging 86.8 yards per game, to No. 1 in the league, averaging 159.7 yards per game. In the past seven games, six of which Tebow started, they have averaged 201.4 rushing yards.

Although young, the offensive line has benefited from having all five starters -- Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, Chris Kuper and Orlando Franklin -- play every game. Willis McGahee, one of the Broncos' offseason acquisitions, has gone from a situational rusher to a back with five 100-yard games, second-most in the NFL.

And Tebow has been unstoppable with the ball in his hands and the game on the line. Fox has lived by the newfound philosophy of keeping a game close and letting Tebow win it in the end.

The Broncos have been within three points entering the fourth quarter of the past four games -- and won. Before getting blown out by Detroit, they trailed Miami by 15 points with three minutes left and won in overtime. They beat Oakland by 14, Kansas City by seven, the Jets by four and San Diego by three, again in overtime.

It is working. Fox is making it work.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There is more about the defense and players in the link. I thought it was a good read.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Good read.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't think anyone's in competition with him at this point but it'll depend on how they finish. If it all falls apart, it's the gimmick that everyone thought it'd be and he gets no credit.

I kinda hesitate to give him credit though when I think about how the QB change was almost forced upon him. He definitely shares credit for the D improvements, though.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

no offense, but Jim Harbaugh should be COY.......he didn't have a "____ gives us the best chance to win " moment.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
no offense, but Jim Harbaugh should be COY.......he didn't have a "____ gives us the best chance to win " moment.
This

The broncos are on a tear right now but SF has been out of this world so far this season with essentially the same team from 2010
Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
I think that's exactly why Fox should get consideration. Let's face it, for the offense that Fox wanted to run at the beginning of the year, Orton was probably a better fit. But once he saw that it just wasn't working, Fox was willing to start Tebow and go to a completely different offense that worked for his QB, and it's working. I think that's kind of what the article was getting at.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

I think it will be Harbaugh. Either way, it's nice to see him get recognition after such a crummy last year.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

John Fox wants Tim to fail. he's the worst coach Elway could have hired, and Elway probably hired him to make Tim fail.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I think Harbaugh will get it, and deservedly so

But I think Fox deserves a lot of credit for scrapping his offense midseason and implementing one that better fits his qb

I also think he deserves a ton of credit for the rise of the defense, especially the work him and Allen have done in improving the play of our Dline

Overall I like Fox more now then when he was hired, I think he is doing well
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Absolutely no
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I agree, and that moment is shown in the teams record. They handled the QB situation, and recievers, like a bunch of McDaniels'. I liked the article for the content more than the overall point of Fox for coach of the year. He has done good with everything other than what I just stated though. I really like the talent they brought in.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I don't think anyone's in competition with him at this point but it'll depend on how they finish. If it all falls apart, it's the gimmick that everyone thought it'd be and he gets no credit.

I kinda hesitate to give him credit though when I think about how the QB change was almost forced upon him. He definitely shares credit for the D improvements, though.
This I absolutely agree with. That, and the fact that Fox so far has been unwilling to properly maximize Tebow's talents. With Tebow properly coached, gameplans and all, the Broncos would be averaging close to 30 points a game, and Fox would then properly be considered coach of the year.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

yeah, but for all we know, Tebow might really have been < than Pocket Sloth.

SF is a lot better team than D too. Harbaugh gets it, but Fox has gotten more out of a really piss poor team.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
vonqkilla

such a dumbass discussion. Tebow mvp, von dpoy... How come mccoy isnt getting this praise....

How about we beat minnesota sorryass vikings first.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post
such a dumbass discussion. Tebow mvp, von dpoy... How come mccoy isnt getting this praise....

Nobody understand you or your language.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post

Well, if we can beat the queens w/o AP .....
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Doh... completely forgot about Harbaugh.

Where's our facepalm smiley?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

McCarthy deserves his votes. It's fabulous what Fox had done here so far and what SF has done is amazing also. But McCarthy is undefeated. Yes he's got great players but still, undefeated is the best you can possibly do. We'll see what happens. That's why they don't vote for coach of the year 3/4's through the season. Same reason you don't give teams wins on paper. You gotta play the games. Let's visit this discussion again end of season.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I thought it a hell of a lot of guts to do QB switch when he did. There are a lot of you don't let the fans run the team stories ready to be written. He's done a lot on short notice, especially with the offseason situation (like every other coach).

The teams that have a strong finish this season would probably had a decent start in normal years.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I thought fox was sabotaging tebow ? .............LMAO you pricks , Hollywood couldnt write a better script .......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

They should just hand us the Lombardi now...all this and santa hasn't even come yet.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
McCarthy deserves his votes. It's fabulous what Fox had done here so far and what SF has done is amazing also. But McCarthy is undefeated. Yes he's got great players but still, undefeated is the best you can possibly do. We'll see what happens. That's why they don't vote for coach of the year 3/4's through the season. Same reason you don't give teams wins on paper. You gotta play the games. Let's visit this discussion again end of season.
I almost think the manning situation could affect the hype of the top teams' coaches. When they lost their star, the Colts went to crap. How would GB do without Rodgers? When Brady went down, I think it had the opposite effect.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

idk about Fox and Coach of the year, but Dennis Allen should take home the award for Coordinator of the year.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Jim Rome was floating this idea two weeks ago.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote