The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Tebow is history in the making

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...hefter-10-spot

Tim Tebow is history in the making

Each Sunday night for the past three seasons, Chris Berman and I have made our way from the office building where ESPN analysts and producers watch Sunday's NFL games to the office building that houses the postgame show. We walk past the large screening room in which 20-something-year-old production assistants assemble highlights for upcoming "SportsCenter" shows.

In the 50 or so walks past that room at about 7 p.m. ET, it's hard to remember a single time in which the room was not full of people immersed in their jobs, working furiously.

Yet Sunday night, for the first time we could remember, there were workers standing in front of the TVs, jumping up and down, yelling.

Berman looked at me. I looked at him. And in unison, we said, "Tebow."

Let's just say they weren't cheering for Tyler Palko. Screening rooms, sports bars and living rooms are now filled with people ready to salute or question Tim Tebow. He is a phenomenon. Since taking over as the Broncos' starting quarterback, he has given both his critics and his supporters the evidence they need.

What's undeniable is that in each game he has started and won, he has accomplished historic quarterback feats.

When Denver won at San Diego in Week 12, Tebow had 22 rushing attempts, the most by a quarterback in any game since the merger in 1970.

When Denver beat the Jets in Week 11, Tebow's 20-yard touchdown run with 58 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter became the longest game-winning touchdown run by a quarterback in the final minute of the fourth quarter in NFL history.

When Denver won at Kansas City in Week 10, Tebow became the first quarterback with more rushes than passes in a game since Joe Ferguson did it for Buffalo in 1974.

When Denver won at Oakland in Week 9, Tebow rushed for 117 yards and joined Norris Weese as the only Broncos quarterbacks to rush for 100 yards in a game.

And when Denver won at Miami in Week 7, Tebow helped the Broncos become the first team in NFL history to win a game when it trailed by 15-plus points with three minutes remaining.

Tebow is entertaining, captivating, polarizing. But nearly every week, he's also history.

On to this week's 10 Spot:

1. The Price for Cutler: Now that the Broncos have waived Kyle Orton, who was a central piece in a blockbuster trade with the Bears, the exact price that Chicago surrendered for former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler can be accurately weighed. It was, in two words -- a bargain.

For Cutler, the Broncos got:

A 2009 first-round pick that Denver used on defensive end Robert Ayers.

A 2010 first-round pick Denver traded to Seattle for a 2009 second-round pick used on cornerback Alphonso Smith.

A 2009 third-round pick Denver traded with its own third-round pick to Pittsburgh for a second-round pick used on tight end Richard Quinn and a fourth-round pick used on guard Seth Olsen.

Now, Orton is in Kansas City, and Ayers is the only player left on Denver's roster that the team got in return for Cutler. That's it. Every other player brought to the Broncos from that trade has been released.

And if that weren't bad enough, the 2009 third-round pick from Chicago that Denver wound up trading to Pittsburgh was used on none other than wide receiver Mike Wallace.

So Chicago got Cutler, Pittsburgh got Wallace, and Denver got Ayers. Literally.

Moral of the story: In the offseason after Cutler was selected to his first Pro Bowl, no price was too high to pay for a proven Pro Bowl quarterback.

Last edited by jhns; 12-02-2011 at 10:57 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

That's not true, the Broncos traded their own first round pick (not the Bears) to draft Alphonso.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveALight View Post
That's not true, the Broncos traded their own first round pick (not the Bears) to draft Alphonso.
Yeah, I see a lot get this wrong. Didn't we trade our pick for a bunch of other picks, that were yhen traded? If that was that pick, it is probably why they go the simple route.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Another reason to love Tebow: 80% of networks across the country are carrying the early game. Out of towners have no need to stream
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Norris Weese rushed for 100 yards in a game?!?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Another reason to love Tebow: 80% of networks across the country are carrying the early game. Out of towners have no need to stream
Where I live (florida), there is NO EARLY GAME.

Not CBS, not FOX... there is no 1pm game... I have to wait until 4pm to watch a NFL game. I have never heard of this before. Where's the outrage?!?
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

"NO GAME due to NFL rules"

Very strange. I think when the home team is playing on CBS, Fox has to black out other games. Not sure.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Must be a blackout in Florida due to the home team not selling out?
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Texas hates Tebow, no game for me
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
The Price for Cutler...
Just curious, if you could have Cutler or Tebow who do you take?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveALight View Post
Must be a blackout in Florida due to the home team not selling out?
Nobody in Florida is being blacked out. Not sure where he's at but everywhere in Florida is getting an early CBS game.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Just curious, if you could have Cutler or Tebow who do you take?
Cutler
Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
For Cutler, the Broncos got:

A 2009 first-round pick that Denver used on defensive end Robert Ayers.

A 2010 first-round pick Denver traded to Seattle for a 2009 second-round pick used on cornerback Alphonso Smith.

A 2009 third-round pick Denver traded with its own third-round pick to Pittsburgh for a second-round pick used on tight end Richard Quinn and a fourth-round pick used on guard Seth Olsen.
No matter how many times I see these facts (accuracy of the first-rounder traded notwithstanding) it still hurts.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

schefter with a fluftastic Broncos article?!?!?!

sweet!

feels like 1998 all over again
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
extralife
Ring of Famer

If you keep reading that piece you'll see Schefter on the Miller-for-DPOY bandwagon as well.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Norris Weese rushed for 100 yards in a game?!?
He rushed for 120 yards vs Bears in 1976
errand is offline   Reply With Quote