The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default The Point of Offense

The Point of Offense

Yeah for first Post of score touchdowns!

But really we are not a team that is built to out score you. No we are a team built to out grind you. When you run the ball 55 times its because you can. Because the other team has not stopped you from doing so. Our team is dedicated to doing only a few things and doing them well.

1. Hold the ball
2. Take our time.
3. Create Long Fields

Every possession that we do these few tasks we have had a successful drive.

Our offense is inherently not going to score as many points as a Passing style. Passing is by far the fastest way to move the football, with this speed also comes a higher degree of danger. We are avoiding this danger by throwing the ball as little as possible. We can only do this because our run offense is very efficient, we have few very long runs but also few negative and 0 yard gains as well. Statistically our offense is always going to look like Garbage- we are designing it to do things that nobody cares about. However if at the end of the day we can squeeze a win out of a juice less football well good for us.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Right now Broncos showing how about half the points other teams score are from mistakes and turnovers by the other team. Broncos aren't giving points away and teams are finding that tough to score a lot of points on.

This pass happy league got to the point and int a game is fine as long as 2 td passes went along with it. Turns out though that always might not be the case. The int can be like 2 scores, the one you didn't get, and they one you give away.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

That's becauses ints are worth 15 points
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Right now, the key to this offense is a QB who does not turn it over. Period.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Defense not getting tired is going a long way imo. If they only have to play 70-80% as many plays as previously, thats a very good thing.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
That's becauses ints are worth 15 points
It's almost like the rest of the NFL pissed we are playing small ball. They are like well yeah, you can win a bunch of games like that but will lose eventually. . They are mad because Broncos not playing the throw the ball all day game, make the games last well over 3 hours, and get plenty of commercials in.

Broncos bad for TV in the eyes of the NFL elite.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Defense not getting tired is going a long way imo. If they only have to play 70-80% as many plays as previously, thats a very good thing.
I think it's also the other teams defense just getting flat worn out from all the running plays. They get tired, then make mistakes in the 4th quarter.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

new NFL rule you must pass the ball at least 30 times a quarter and it must be to receivers who are covered aka the bronco rule .
so says the NFL comish lord of football
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It would be nice to see Tebow have a big passing day, but really winning all that matters. It would be fun to watch them make excuses for that also though.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It would be nice to see Tebow have a big passing day, but really winning all that matters. It would be fun to watch them make excuses for that also though.
I predict a big passing day for Tebow against the Vikings. The factors for this are playing in a dome, a lot of injuries in the vikes secondary, and that Tebow looked much more comfortable last week in the pocket. I think they let him open it up and see how much he has improved.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
We saw it last year against the Texans, I don't need to see it again for another year or so.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Everyone wants tebow to have a sexy win...TS! Steelers win ugly as do the Ravens constantly...this is the new orange and the nfl press just can't get it.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Get ready for more Fox-ball. Run, run, run and run it some more. Protect the ball. Play for field position and let the defense do the heavy lifting. If it works, don't try to fix it.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #14
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Get ready for more Fox-ball. Run, run, run and run it some more. Protect the ball. Play for field position and let the defense do the heavy lifting. If it works, don't try to fix it.
Yup. I'm not sure this will change even if we somehow got Luck(other than the option going away). Fox loves to run the ball.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
Shotgun Willie

rugby, this offense is frightening. Like, Ghostbusters frightening.

I can't even let my kids watch it.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

To me, the Vikings game is the perfect opportunity to open up the passing game a little bit. The Vikings defense is not good, allowing 26.8 points per game (ranked 30th overall), but their run defense (99.6 yards per game, 9th in the league) is much better than their pass D (258.2, 29th in the league). I'm not saying I expect us to throw it 40 times, especially on the road, but 25-30 times would be a good number. Especially early in the game so we can (hopefully) build a lead to sit on in the second half.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
To me, the Vikings game is the perfect opportunity to open up the passing game a little bit. The Vikings defense is not good, allowing 26.8 points per game (ranked 30th overall), but their run defense (99.6 yards per game, 9th in the league) is much better than their pass D (258.2, 29th in the league). I'm not saying I expect us to throw it 40 times, especially on the road, but 25-30 times would be a good number. Especially early in the game so we can (hopefully) build a lead to sit on in the second half.
Not just this game, but the next 3 games. Minn, Chicago and NE are all top 10 rush defenses, but the 30th, 29th and 32nd ranked pass defenses.

Denver has to throw the ball better the next 3 games, and Minny ( dome game) is the opportunity to work out a few kinks before we have two weather possible December games. About 25-30 passes is right but they have to also keep the run in the mix and stay out of 3rd and long too much.
1st down plays are going to be critical, so McCoy had better do more than run, run , whatever, all the time. He has to get more production early .

I doubt that these three teams will use the SD plan of not rushing , but just keeping contain on Tebow, since that worked so well. His ability to spot the blitzes and make presnap reads will be critical so we are about to find out if he has progressed in that aspect.

Our receivers have to step up big to get open and good separation faster.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I heard Tebow say this week that the goal of every drive is to end it with a kick, whether that be an extra point, FG or punt.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

i would smile for a whole week if Tebow comes out against the Vikings, throws for 400+ yards and 3+ TDs. what would the professional Tebow doubters on ESPN and in the rest of the media say then? Marshall Faulk might explode if he had to talk about Tebow throwing for 400+ yards. i would smile for a whole week.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
rugby, this offense is frightening. Like, Ghostbusters frightening.

I can't even let my kids watch it.
What's your real handle?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Shotgun Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
What's your real handle?
I was pm'd the link to your thread after asking what all the Ghostbusters references were about in this thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=101247

I'm sooooooo glad I asked. Classic stuff there.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Everyone wants tebow to have a sexy win...TS! Steelers win ugly as do the Ravens constantly...this is the new orange and the nfl press just can't get it.
You have somewhat of a case with Pittsburgh (19th) but the Ravens are 7th in the league in scoring.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Nearly 500 rush yards from the QB position helps
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Our offense is gimmicky. This won't last. It can't last. Tebow is not going to be able to rush for 1200 yards a year, AND be our QB. And defenses are going to figure out this offense, and then it's lights out. We need to pass more, end of story.

Seen much of the wildcat offense lately? Nope. Gimmick - worked for awhile.. figured it out.. shut it down completely.. no longer used. If these style offenses were effective all the time, teams would still be using them.

Once they do shut it down, we have to be able to throw the ball more. I have some confidence we'll see it happen, but I'm still in wait and see mode. I do NOT think this is the sort of offense (averaging less than 19 points a game) will win a championship. So before we completely retool the team around this offense that ultimately won't be effective to win championships.. LET Tebow air it out more. Suffer through the growing pains. It's the only way we'll get better.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
Powderaddict

Honestly, I love a physical, dominating run game. I love a physical, tough, bullying defense.

I don't find a high flying passing attack any more exciting. Maybe I'm the only one. I loved watching TD march down the field drive after drive, the defenses know it's coming, and unable to do a singal thing about it.