The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
MajorGCG

Default WSJ: Waiting for Tebow to Go Splat

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

"Watching Tim Tebow run the read option for the Denver Broncos on Sundays has got to be one of the most gratifyingly bizarre spectacles in the modern history of the NFL.

This is an offense that hasn't been allowed anywhere near the league in 30 years. This is an offense that high-school teams like to try when they run out of ideas. If this offense were attached to an automobile, it would be the 8-track player."
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

This is an offense that high-school teams like to try when they run out of ideas

what?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
This is an offense that high-school teams like to try when they run out of ideas

what?
Sports is not one of the WSJ's strengths... on the steaming pile of **** scale, it's right up their with their political OPEDs.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

"The most amazing thing about it is his durability," says former quarterback Joe Theismann. "Because you wouldn't call him nifty."

The Broncos' curious offensive strategy has a positive side effect: It helps their defense by shortening the game and giving them more time to rest. The Broncos defense has allowed only 36 combined points in their last three games.

It also gives the Broncos a mathematical advantage. Since most quarterbacks rarely run the ball—and aren't very fast when they do—NFL defenses are generally only designed to account for 10 players. By running often, and constantly threatening to run, Tebow forces the defense to spread itself a bit thinner to account for all 11 players.

The Tebow strategy could benefit from an NFL trend toward lighter, swifter defenders. This could mean less punishing hits from defenders geared toward stopping the pass.

Theismann, who is now an NFL Network analyst, was the recipient of one of the most famous hits in NFL history—a blow from Lawrence Taylor that shattered his leg. He says he doubts any team will look to this strategy as a long-term option, if only because they'd never be able to find anyone to back up Tebow if he got hurt. "If you had three Tim Tebows, then you could think about it," he says.

That's still the crucial point. If we build the option offense and then Tebow goes out because of injury, who runs it? Quinn? Weber?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGCG View Post

"Watching Tim Tebow run the read option for the Denver Broncos on Sundays has got to be one of the most gratifyingly bizarre spectacles in the modern history of the NFL.

This is an offense that hasn't been allowed anywhere near the league in 30 years. This is an offense that high-school teams like to try when they run out of ideas. If this offense were attached to an automobile, it would be the 8-track player."

Let me guess the next play!........run up the middle,......and the next,......run up the middle.......
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
[I]

That's still the crucial point. If we build the option offense and then Tebow goes out because of injury, who runs it? Quinn? Weber?
**** happens, dude. Look at the Texans. From 1st seed to hopefully hanging on to the division.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that it's irrelevant what happens if Tebow gets injured. Teams don't win games or Super Bowls with backup QB's. At least not with any regularity. It's why the promising Houston season will probably end in a disappointing playoff loss.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Sports is not one of the WSJ's strengths... on the steaming pile of **** scale, it's right up their with their political OPEDs.
You must be thinking of the New York Times.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
OEII

Quote:

Do you actually think they are running a true option offense though? I know I see the play from time to time, but they look like they are running a combination of traditional and option offense. If Tebow can get good at throwing from the pocket, the option element may make Denver not old fashion but revolutionary. Its tough to stop now for teams, if they threw better why couldn't Denver go deep in the playoffs? With that said, I agree with your point, shoule Tebow ( and he probably will ) get hurt they are in a little trouble.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
OEII

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
I'm of the opinion that it's irrelevant what happens if Tebow gets injured. Teams don't win games or Super Bowls with backup QB's. At least not with any regularity. It's why the promising Houston season will probably end in a disappointing playoff loss.
There is a some history that teams have won with backups (Most recent, Steelers last year started out 4-0 with Ben suspended). The point is however the Tebow getting hurt is a real possiblity and so the gamble of this type of offense is really and aggressive one that most teams would not take. I submitt to you, if the organization was expecting huge sucess this season; the broncos probably would not have taken the gamble either.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Broncbow

Quote:
If this offense were attached to an automobile, it would be the 8-track player."
That was funny.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Bahshay
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
My one problem with that theory and example is that Houston doesn't put their QB in harms way. Schaub and Leinart getting hurt is bad luck. We run Tebow into danger 20 times a game. I don't mind us doing it since he is built like a RB and better in that offense, but running backs go down more frequently than QBs do. The odds of our QB getting hurt are probably higher than most teams. Tebow gets hit more, so he has more chances to be hurt. While teams won't win Super Bowls with back-ups (besides the Pats with Tom Brady), we need a QB that can play well enough to keep us afloat if Tebow goes down for a few weeks.

We also don't have the luxury of installing our backup QB into the game plan and hoping for the best. When Schaub went down, they were still very confident that Leinart could go in and do most things Schaub can do, but with a little less consistency. Can you imagine if we brought in Quinn and asked him to run the offense? We would have to change our entire offensive plan, and probably confuse our entire offense.

As I said, I'm less worried about injury with Tebow than most QBs, but if it happens we are in MUCH worse shape than most teams. We need to draft a QB with a similar skill set that can be inserted into a game. Obviously, his intangibles can't be matched, but a QB that can continue to run the option for us would at least keep us afloat.
Bahshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Of course if NE or Pitt or Indy was doing it they would be geniuses.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

We can't have 3 Tebows, but we could draft RG3 (if he declares). He might be a good fit for this new hybrid option offense...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Good Lord, one would expect that in the age of Google, smart phones, and entire pdf playbooks available, that a writer would at least sort of know the basics of what the **** he is talking about. The read option is an offense that high school teams try when they run out of ideas? It's an 8-track? What a steaming pile of fail.

The read option can be run out of a spread formation you jack ****! You can fake the read option and throw the ball you jack ****! The option can be run out of the "I" you jack ****! So I guess Urban Myer, Troy Calhoun, Rich Rod, Tom Osborne and Chip Kelly aren't creative enough to run a high school offense.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Shotgun Willie

Quote:
The Broncos' curious offensive strategy has a positive side effect: It helps their defense by shortening the game and giving them more time to rest.
Nice to see that this isn't just an OMane myth any more. It's spreading.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
Turd_Ferguson

Quote:
Off the top of my head. Tom Brady, Bob Griese, in 98 Bubby Brister won several games, Doug Williams, Kurt Warner.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEII View Post
Do you actually think they are running a true option offense though? I know I see the play from time to time, but they look like they are running a combination of traditional and option offense. If Tebow can get good at throwing from the pocket, the option element may make Denver not old fashion but revolutionary. Its tough to stop now for teams, if they threw better why couldn't Denver go deep in the playoffs? With that said, I agree with your point, shoule Tebow ( and he probably will ) get hurt they are in a little trouble.
THIS
Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
Jay3

Quote:
I agree. People act like most teams have a primary and backup plan for winning a championship. The vast majority of teams are screwed if they lose their starting quarterback.

And I don't agree that Tebow is more likely to be injured.

Ergo, the "what if Tebow gets injured" question is just a red herring.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEII View Post
Do you actually think they are running a true option offense though? I know I see the play from time to time, but they look like they are running a combination of traditional and option offense. If Tebow can get good at throwing from the pocket, the option element may make Denver not old fashion but revolutionary. Its tough to stop now for teams, if they threw better why couldn't Denver go deep in the playoffs?
I agree with this -- it's just a more effective way to run the ball, not a whole offense. People are getting carried away as if it's working like a charm. It works some. Just some. Like most teams running games.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, WSJ now.

I have ESPN on in my office in the background as I work and every time I look up I see Tim Tebow. I mean literally, many times per hour.

Guess it's all part of that "hate" out there for him.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
Agamemnon

They really need to go full spread option with Tebow rather than this crap. It would lower his number of carries, lessen the injury concern, and open up our passing game. I hate this half-ass option crap. **** or get off the pot...
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Does the WSJ do anything well after Murdoch bought them? They barely reported on him combing the voice mails of a dead kid's family.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote