The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default The Denver Broncos, your #1 rushing team in the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...2&d-447263-n=1

Awesome. If there's one area where Tebow has had an unquestioned, quantifiable impact it's the rushing game. It feels good to dominate the line of scrimmage again for the first time since 2005.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
KO5K

Hell yeah!

Wasn't so long ago I was laughing about Fox's comments on having the #1 sophisticated running game in the NFL. Way to go!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

With 5 games to go it's not without reason to crack 3k (especially with the Chiefs left on the schedule )
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
Hell yeah!

Wasn't so long ago I was laughing about Fox's comments on having the #1 sophisticated running game in the NFL. Way to go!
I still find it pretty funny. Running option plays and having a dominant scrambler at QB doesn't make the run game particularly sophisticated.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Sophisticate deez nuts!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
With 5 games to go it's not without reason to crack 3k (especially with the Chiefs left on the schedule )
We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.
We'd still have the best running game in the league without running on 3rd and long all the time. That part of this offense isn't working at all. I'll say that much.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...
And?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I still find it pretty funny. Running option plays and having a dominant scrambler at QB doesn't make the run game particularly sophisticated.
I disagree. In the NFL sophisticated means theories that take a lot of thought presnap, and while play is in progress, to make adjustments.

Peyton Manning having to call out routes and blocking assingments at the LOS was super complex. People said he would never win because a coach needs to be doing all that. Probably a coach that said that while he won a Superbowl.

Tebow has to read the defensive end? then decide to keep, give, or even pitch sometimes. The RBS are also reading cues to know what to do. I guess they change which foot to run towards? as in the defender doing this you run towards the right foot of the guard and other crazy stuff? its all about reducing the angles the defenders have? I don't really get it yet, and half the time i don't know who has the ball.

Not saying it's sophisticated only because I don't understand it yet, just saying there is a lot going on.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

and 31st in passing.... ಠ_ಠ
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
We'd still have the best running game in the league without running on 3rd and long all the time. That part of this offense isn't working at all. I'll say that much.
It is working, let me try and give you my opinion on that. What those runs that go no where accomplish is keeping the defense honest. They are afraid to bail on the middle to attack Tebow on the edges because we do run up the gut so many times. Even if we fail 3 times in a row.

How many first down dive plays did we run? You would think defense would be ready for it, nope, McGahee ripped one right up the gut to put us in field goal range to win the game.

So my response is all the running plays are working. They all fit together and the end result seems to be some big runs at the end of the games. I think Broncos are wearing defenses out having to play the run 50 times a game.

The NFL has gotten soft and the Broncos are proving it.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
which is weird because that puts us at 25th in total offence... I would think it would average out a little higher then that, but hey when you don't gain a lot through the air...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Average: 208 with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Average since zone read: 219 also with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Like I said, the possibility isn't outside of reason.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:

As long as you have a dominant D it can work. If you don't and get behind early you are screwed. As long as the D keeps stepping up this can work. The Patriots game will be interesting. If anyone will force us out of this conservative approach it will be them.
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Notice how a team can be great passing, ****ty running, and people don't care. But flip that around and the NFL and the fans are like CRAPPOLLA. They want to see a long drawn out game with tons of passing. Lots of room for commercials.

Think about it what do you do in Broncos game where they possess the ball, and take their time every drive. Hard to show commercials when teams run the ball, the clock always running.

Maybe I am crazy but if I ran the NFL, and i was in charge of commercials, i would say to myself the longer the games, the more clock stoppages, the more commercials i can fit in, the more money we make.

It seems pretty simple.

It's why the NFL cares so much about a qb getting hurt but could care less about anyone of the defense.

Thats why they still let WR crack back on defenseless players like Carter got yesterday.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'd like someone to ask the comish what have you done to protect defenseless defensive players from low blocks, crack back blocks. The answer would be nothing if he is honest.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Agamemnon

Quote:
I disagree. In the NFL sophisticated means theories that take a lot of thought presnap, and while play is in progress, to make adjustments.

Peyton Manning having to call out routes and blocking assingments at the LOS was super complex. People said he would never win because a coach needs to be doing all that. Probably a coach that said that while he won a Superbowl.

Tebow has to read the defensive end? then decide to keep, give, or even pitch sometimes. The RBS are also reading cues to know what to do. I guess they change which foot to run towards? as in the defender doing this you run towards the right foot of the guard and other crazy stuff? its all about reducing the angles the defenders have? I don't really get it yet, and half the time i don't know who has the ball.

Not saying it's sophisticated only because I don't understand it yet, just saying there is a lot going on.
It's the read option. It's predicated on misdirection. That doesn't make it sophisticated. If it was truly sophisticated do you think they could just implement it in the middle of the season? It's actually one of the simplest types of option runs.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
As long as you have a dominant D it can work. If you don't and get behind early you are screwed. As long as the D keeps stepping up this can work. The Patriots game will be interesting. If anyone will force us out of this conservative approach it will be them.
Also I think it's overlooked by some, not all of us, but some, that you have to have a great kicker, punter, returner and good coverage.

Broncos cant afford to give up a defensive td or a punt return.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

It's getting cold, weather rolling in, it's prime time for a running team to catch passing teams on cold windy days Rev.

A lot of fans seemed to have jumped of the Bronco bandwagon recently as the team struggled. I don't get that because if i stopped caring about Broncos, I stop caring about football and never watch again. They are the only reason for me, I love my Broncos!

I think the bandwagon from the superbowl now light enough for us to get moving again with real Bronco fans.

It's not about whether we say the team stinks, or are negative, it's about undying loyalty to one team. Us true fans are going to be rewarded once again.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
dictionary

Quote:
Awesome! The reddit scowl.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:

Don't the Bears have a good run D though?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
It's the read option. It's predicated on misdirection. That doesn't make it sophisticated. If it was truly sophisticated do you think they could just implement it in the middle of the season? It's actually one of the simplest types of option runs.
Not sure what sophisticated means when talking football then. You hand ball off, your lineman knock the other guy in the mouth, and rb plows into a whole with reckless abandon for his health.

What is sophisticated about that?

As far as implementing in the season it would not work with any other team. It's Tebows vast experience running it that makes it work. Try getting Brady to run this running game and he might say it's too sophisticated for him lol. Likewise Tebows head would be spinning trying to look at 4-5 options every passing down.

Without Tebows mastery of it, i doubt it would look so simple. Newton run the read option well also and they scored with it in the redzone.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDoug View Post
which is weird because that puts us at 25th in total offence... I would think it would average out a little higher then that, but hey when you don't gain a lot through the air...
Yeah, but thats skewed because there are fewer possessions in our games because Denver is running more clock. It's also not a coincidence that we're allowing fewer points on defense.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Don't the Bears have a good run D though?
Yep, going to be a huge test for Tebow to take on Briggs and Urlacher. No doubt about that.