The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default The Denver Broncos, your #1 rushing team in the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...2&d-447263-n=1

Awesome. If there's one area where Tebow has had an unquestioned, quantifiable impact it's the rushing game. It feels good to dominate the line of scrimmage again for the first time since 2005.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
KO5K
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Hell yeah!

Wasn't so long ago I was laughing about Fox's comments on having the #1 sophisticated running game in the NFL. Way to go!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

With 5 games to go it's not without reason to crack 3k (especially with the Chiefs left on the schedule )
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
Hell yeah!

Wasn't so long ago I was laughing about Fox's comments on having the #1 sophisticated running game in the NFL. Way to go!
I still find it pretty funny. Running option plays and having a dominant scrambler at QB doesn't make the run game particularly sophisticated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Sophisticate deez nuts!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
With 5 games to go it's not without reason to crack 3k (especially with the Chiefs left on the schedule )
We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.
We'd still have the best running game in the league without running on 3rd and long all the time. That part of this offense isn't working at all. I'll say that much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!
 
SureShot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,947

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...
And?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I still find it pretty funny. Running option plays and having a dominant scrambler at QB doesn't make the run game particularly sophisticated.
I disagree. In the NFL sophisticated means theories that take a lot of thought presnap, and while play is in progress, to make adjustments.

Peyton Manning having to call out routes and blocking assingments at the LOS was super complex. People said he would never win because a coach needs to be doing all that. Probably a coach that said that while he won a Superbowl.

Tebow has to read the defensive end? then decide to keep, give, or even pitch sometimes. The RBS are also reading cues to know what to do. I guess they change which foot to run towards? as in the defender doing this you run towards the right foot of the guard and other crazy stuff? its all about reducing the angles the defenders have? I don't really get it yet, and half the time i don't know who has the ball.

Not saying it's sophisticated only because I don't understand it yet, just saying there is a lot going on.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

and 31st in passing.... ಠ_ಠ
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
We'd still have the best running game in the league without running on 3rd and long all the time. That part of this offense isn't working at all. I'll say that much.
It is working, let me try and give you my opinion on that. What those runs that go no where accomplish is keeping the defense honest. They are afraid to bail on the middle to attack Tebow on the edges because we do run up the gut so many times. Even if we fail 3 times in a row.

How many first down dive plays did we run? You would think defense would be ready for it, nope, McGahee ripped one right up the gut to put us in field goal range to win the game.

So my response is all the running plays are working. They all fit together and the end result seems to be some big runs at the end of the games. I think Broncos are wearing defenses out having to play the run 50 times a game.

The NFL has gotten soft and the Broncos are proving it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoDoug's Avatar
 
R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 2,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
and 31st in passing.... ಠ_ಠ
which is weird because that puts us at 25th in total offence... I would think it would average out a little higher then that, but hey when you don't gain a lot through the air...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...
177
195
299
244
125
208

Average: 208 with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Average since zone read: 219 also with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Like I said, the possibility isn't outside of reason.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.
As long as you have a dominant D it can work. If you don't and get behind early you are screwed. As long as the D keeps stepping up this can work. The Patriots game will be interesting. If anyone will force us out of this conservative approach it will be them.
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
and 31st in passing.... ಠ_ಠ
Notice how a team can be great passing, ****ty running, and people don't care. But flip that around and the NFL and the fans are like CRAPPOLLA. They want to see a long drawn out game with tons of passing. Lots of room for commercials.

Think about it what do you do in Broncos game where they possess the ball, and take their time every drive. Hard to show commercials when teams run the ball, the clock always running.

Maybe I am crazy but if I ran the NFL, and i was in charge of commercials, i would say to myself the longer the games, the more clock stoppages, the more commercials i can fit in, the more money we make.

It seems pretty simple.

It's why the NFL cares so much about a qb getting hurt but could care less about anyone of the defense.

Thats why they still let WR crack back on defenseless players like Carter got yesterday.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

I'd like someone to ask the comish what have you done to protect defenseless defensive players from low blocks, crack back blocks. The answer would be nothing if he is honest.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I disagree. In the NFL sophisticated means theories that take a lot of thought presnap, and while play is in progress, to make adjustments.

Peyton Manning having to call out routes and blocking assingments at the LOS was super complex. People said he would never win because a coach needs to be doing all that. Probably a coach that said that while he won a Superbowl.

Tebow has to read the defensive end? then decide to keep, give, or even pitch sometimes. The RBS are also reading cues to know what to do. I guess they change which foot to run towards? as in the defender doing this you run towards the right foot of the guard and other crazy stuff? its all about reducing the angles the defenders have? I don't really get it yet, and half the time i don't know who has the ball.

Not saying it's sophisticated only because I don't understand it yet, just saying there is a lot going on.
It's the read option. It's predicated on misdirection. That doesn't make it sophisticated. If it was truly sophisticated do you think they could just implement it in the middle of the season? It's actually one of the simplest types of option runs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
As long as you have a dominant D it can work. If you don't and get behind early you are screwed. As long as the D keeps stepping up this can work. The Patriots game will be interesting. If anyone will force us out of this conservative approach it will be them.
Also I think it's overlooked by some, not all of us, but some, that you have to have a great kicker, punter, returner and good coverage.

Broncos cant afford to give up a defensive td or a punt return.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
177
195
299
244
125
208

Average: 208 with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Average since zone read: 219 also with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Like I said, the possibility isn't outside of reason.
It's getting cold, weather rolling in, it's prime time for a running team to catch passing teams on cold windy days Rev.

A lot of fans seemed to have jumped of the Bronco bandwagon recently as the team struggled. I don't get that because if i stopped caring about Broncos, I stop caring about football and never watch again. They are the only reason for me, I love my Broncos!

I think the bandwagon from the superbowl now light enough for us to get moving again with real Bronco fans.

It's not about whether we say the team stinks, or are negative, it's about undying loyalty to one team. Us true fans are going to be rewarded once again.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
dictionary
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
and 31st in passing.... ಠ_ಠ
Awesome! The reddit scowl.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
177
195
299
244
125
208

Average: 208 with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Average since zone read: 219 also with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Like I said, the possibility isn't outside of reason.
Don't the Bears have a good run D though?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's the read option. It's predicated on misdirection. That doesn't make it sophisticated. If it was truly sophisticated do you think they could just implement it in the middle of the season? It's actually one of the simplest types of option runs.
Not sure what sophisticated means when talking football then. You hand ball off, your lineman knock the other guy in the mouth, and rb plows into a whole with reckless abandon for his health.

What is sophisticated about that?

As far as implementing in the season it would not work with any other team. It's Tebows vast experience running it that makes it work. Try getting Brady to run this running game and he might say it's too sophisticated for him lol. Likewise Tebows head would be spinning trying to look at 4-5 options every passing down.

Without Tebows mastery of it, i doubt it would look so simple. Newton run the read option well also and they scored with it in the redzone.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDoug View Post
which is weird because that puts us at 25th in total offence... I would think it would average out a little higher then that, but hey when you don't gain a lot through the air...
Yeah, but thats skewed because there are fewer possessions in our games because Denver is running more clock. It's also not a coincidence that we're allowing fewer points on defense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Don't the Bears have a good run D though?
Yep, going to be a huge test for Tebow to take on Briggs and Urlacher. No doubt about that.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Denver Broncos