The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Vine

Default Why isn't this in the playbook?

Now here is a good play to run from under center...

Tebow takes the snap and acts as if he is going to hand the ball off up the middle, defense caves into the middle, cause the Broncos ALWAYS hand the ball off up the middle, but instead of handing it off, Tebow keeps and BOOTLEG'S out wide, preferably to his left. This can be done with a TE dragging across the middle about 12 yards down field. Or Decker going deep on a sideline post. But most of all, Tebow will likely have a wide open field ahead of him to tuck the ball in and take off if he so chooses.

It boggles my mind that Denver has not ran this play not even once since Tebow took over as qb in the last 6 1/2 games.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Agamemnon

So your question is why don't we have naked bootlegs in our playbook?

Because our offensive coaching staff is brain dead. Pretty simple.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Any play book over 6 pages is dangerous.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Ronnie Tsunami

It wouldn't work. There's always supposed to be a contain guy. Assuming KC's OLB's are doing their job correctly, a man would be there.
edit: contain guy would need to pick up the TE in a zone... so it could work in a zone.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Agamemnon

Here's another question. Why don't we implement a passing element into Tebow's option read plays. Same answer I gave before...
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Here's another question. Why don't we implement a passing element into Tebow's option read plays. Same answer I gave before...
Yes. They do this and Denver will go from scoring 13 points a game with Tebow to 31 points per game.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Now here is a good play to run from under center...

Tebow takes the snap and acts as if he is going to hand the ball off up the middle, defense caves into the middle, cause the Broncos ALWAYS hand the ball off up the middle, but instead of handing it off, Tebow keeps and BOOTLEG'S out wide, preferably to his left. This can be done with a TE dragging across the middle about 12 yards down field. Or Decker going deep on a sideline post. But most of all, Tebow will likely have a wide open field ahead of him to tuck the ball in and take off if he so chooses.

It boggles my mind that Denver has not ran this play not even once since Tebow took over as qb in the last 6 1/2 games.
Sorry bud, they have run it... a few times. Seems to me that the TD vs the Jets was that exact play, complete with two receivers running clearing routes.

The problem today was the discipline the Chargers DEs and OLBs played with. They played the hit'em all game and were able to effectively cover all aspects of the option and they did it quite effectively. Once Tebow really started running it opened up the middle a bit more. players start to cheat to where the runs have been coming, that is a by-product of the zone read/option offense.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
It wouldn't work. There's always supposed to be a contain guy. Assuming KC's OLB's are doing their job correctly, a man would be there.
edit: contain guy would need to pick up the TE in a zone... so it could work in a zone.
A contain guy doesn't prevent Tebow from hitting a receiver that is left open due to the rest of the defense playing run. And honestly that is what you could say about Tebow running the option as well. Hasn't seemed to help that much...
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

I kept thinking they were setting up just to do that. There was so much open field if he fakes it up the middle turn around and bootleg it around the end...but they did not. Sometimes I think playcalling is stuck on dumb. We went to that same well, over & over where Bronx 33 has dubbed it his favorite play.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Vine, please do another list.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Sorry bud, they have run it... a few times. Seems to me that the TD vs the Jets was that exact play, complete with two receivers running clearing routes.

The problem today was the discipline the Chargers DEs and OLBs played with. They played the hit'em all game and were able to effectively cover all aspects of the option and they did it quite effectively. Once Tebow really started running it opened up the middle a bit more. players start to cheat to where the runs have been coming, that is a by-product of the zone read/option offense.

Don't remember them running this ever. I say that they go all out into showing the defense a run to the right, with the whole O'line cheating right, and Tebow taking two steps to the right as he fakes the handoff, then, even IF the defense does have a defender attempting to contain Tebow, wouldn't you like Tebow's chances in the open field against one defender?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Vine, please do another list.
Nice intelligent reply to the topic at hand...
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post

It's also the product of not properly implementing the pass into their gameplan. If defenders have to account for the option and the pass it becomes nearly impossible. They refuse to do that. They prefer to only throw with Tebow in clear passing situations. For reasons I can't begin to comprehend.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
CEH
Ring of Famer

A naked bootleg requires the Dends to crash down on the fake run play. The DEs are not crashing down as teams will now give up the dive play. I bet if they tried to run it Tebow would find a DE waiting for him and impede him or his passing lane requiring Tebow to slide backwards to avoid the DE and at that point he would just be throwing it up off his back foot. If you watch the old Shanny boots, he always had 3 crossing routes. One short, one intermediate and one deep route to the same side of the field
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
extralife
Ring of Famer

to do a boot you have to take snaps from under center. we don't do that. problem solved
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Nice intelligent reply to the topic at hand...
But seriously though. Please, start another thread comparing Tebow to...anything.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's also the product of not properly implementing the pass into their gameplan. If defenders have to account for the option and the pass it becomes nearly impossible. They refuse to do that. They prefer to only throw with Tebow in clear passing situations. For reasons I can't begin to comprehend.
I can. He obviously hasn't mastered what little they give him. On passing situations he's a deer in headlight's. Throwing in a tripple run/pass option is probably too much for him.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
to do a boot you have to take snaps from under center. we don't do that. problem solved
We actually do. You should pay more attention.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
A naked bootleg requires the Dends to crash down on the fake run play. The DEs are not crashing down as teams will now give up the dive play. I bet if they tried to run it Tebow would find a DE waiting for him and impede him or his passing lane requiring Tebow to slide backwards to avoid the DE and at that point he would just be throwing it up off his back foot. If you watch the old Shanny boots, he always had 3 crossing routes. One short, one intermediate and one deep route to the same side of the field
If they sell of this play as a run to the center-right side, the right DE is supposed to go toward the middle. I do agree that he could be a problem if he isn't fooled by the fake run, but I would take my chances.

At least once or twice a game.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
Vine

Quote:

Do you watch football?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #21
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post
But seriously though. Please, start another thread comparing Tebow to...anything.

You are a tool.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

nah, I'm in it for the commercials
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
DERP!
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I can. He obviously hasn't mastered what little they give him. On passing situations he's a deer in headlight's. Throwing in a tripple run/pass option is probably too much for him.
I think it would would be progress if he started finding Willis wide open in the middle of the field doing jumping jacks but I will take the wins.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I think it would would be progress if he started finding Willis wide open in the middle of the field doing jumping jacks but I will take the wins.
I think throwing strikes to your receivers all over the field and two crucial drops by your receivers on 3rd downs is making progress, wouldn't you think?