The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Cowher Right About the Option Offense?
He's right. You can't win a championship running the option. 21 51.22%
He's wrong. Cowher is old school. The option will win championships. 12 29.27%
I don't care. I just want to turn this into another Tebow thread. 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default You'll Never Win a Championship With an Option Offense

In today's Tebow interview on NBC, Cowher said something that was not followed up on and just kind of slipped by, but it struck me as a pretty strong statement. He said that no NFL team will win a championship primarily using an option offense. Unfortunately, nobody followed up on this and asked him to elaborate. So is Cowher right?

Last edited by Rohirrim; 11-27-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

you might .....But you better have a shut down defense ....excellent special teams .......and power running game
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

He's probably right. But if this is what our QB needs to learn defenses and gain a comfort level with being an NFL starter as well as make the team competitive, then so be it.

On the other hand...running the ball, playing solid defense and not turning the ball over is a pretty universal standard for winning, especially late in the year.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
He's probably right. But if this is what our QB needs to learn defenses and gain a comfort level with being an NFL starter as well as make the team competitive, then so be it.

On the other hand...running the ball, playing solid defense and not turning the ball over is a pretty universal standard for winning, especially late in the year.

well if you can score other ways like on special teams , turnovers etc .... you can , hell Ravens won with Trent Dilfer ..just saying
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
KO5K

We run an option only offense?

News to me.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Here's an interesting wiki write up on the use of the option offense in the NFL:

For the most part, NFL coaches and pundits scoff that the option offense is obsolete for the NFL.[8] The claim is made that NFL defensive players are that much better at stopping the offense than college players. However, this remains to be seen because all NFL offenses run the pro-set family of formations. Some also argue that the high salaries received by NFL quarterbacks, discourage professional teams from using these players as primary ball-carriers (a requirement in option offenses) due to fear of injury.[8][9] The "wildcat" offense, popularized at the college level by former Arkansas offensive coordinators Gus Malzahn and David Lee in the early 2000s and used with the Miami Dolphins when Lee worked for them in the 2008 NFL season owed some of its design to the option offense.[10]

The option has made rare appearances in the NFL. Starting in 2004, Michael Vick, Warrick Dunn and T. J. Duckett ran the option with a degree of success not seen in the NFL before.[10] In a December 2007 game against the New England Patriots, the New York Jets ran the option with quarterback Brad Smith, substituting Smith for starter Chad Pennington.

In the 2008 AFC championship, Ravens QB Joe Flacco ran a QB option tucking the ball for a 5 yard gain and a first down on crucial third down. The Ravens offense was known for mixing up its game plan, and although Flacco is not known for his speed, the deception employed by Baltimore allowed for Flacco to mix up plays successfully despite an AFC championship game loss.

In the 2009 season, the New York Jets ran the option numerous times, with Brad Smith. Each play produced positive yards.[11] The Tennessee Titans also ran the option when Vince Young was re-installed as quarterback.[8] In addition, the option helped Chris Johnson rush for 2000 yards.[10]

In October of 2010 against the Oakland Raiders, David Garrard performed an option run and kept the ball for a 24 yard run to set up a FG.

On October 9 2011, the Carolina Panthers effectively ran the option twice against the New Orleans Saints. The first play was an option pitch from QB Cam Newton to RB DeAngelo Williams for a 67 yard touchdown. The second time, Cam Newton kept the ball and ran for 13 yards.[12]

A month later, the Denver Broncos ran seventeen plays with Tim Tebow as quarterback and Willis McGahee as running back totalling 196 yards on the ground.[13] The option was so effective that the Broncos played it almost exclusively in the fourth quarter of the 38-24 win over the Oakland Raiders and continued using it a week later in a 17-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.[14]
Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

I just saw an option in the Bills game. It's taking over the world!
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Jay3

You can a win a championship with it, but it has to be viewed as your run offense, not your whole offense. It's a way to run the ball effectively, not an entire offense on its own.

Everybody thinks being able to run the ball is a good thing. I don't know why they lose their minds if the run play has any option action in it. It enhances it.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think there are two keys: 1. Can your QB survive a season? 2. In the playoffs, you're bound to run into the best defense in the league. Will it work then?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

If you know what you do now before this season started would you have thought tebow and the option would be this successful in the NFL ( right now) people can say stuff will not work then when it does they go to the next excuse on the flow chart why it wont work.

Cowher has an opinion and that's exactly what it is its not a written in stone tell all solid gold opinion imo anything can happen and so far it has (i didn't see any of this) nor did the talking heads. I have no clue whats going to happen next ( its kinda fun actually) just imagine a defensive coordinator trying to game plan for the broncos it has to be brain racking to cover all exits only to watch tebow break through a wall and end up behind them over and over.

As for winning championships with the option ( who the hell knows) its all a huge guess.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post

Word is the bears are going to use it today with hanie.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
well if you can score other ways like on special teams , turnovers etc .... you can , hell Ravens won with Trent Dilfer ..just saying

Absolutely agree.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think there are two keys: 1. Can your QB survive a season? 2. In the playoffs, you're bound to run into the best defense in the league. Will it work then?
This - I think we have the only QB in the league that can survive an entire season running the ball. He's basically the same as letting a guy like Hillis throw the ball a few times a game.

Not saying our offense could win a championship, just commenting on the physical size/power/durability of our current starting QB.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Word is the bears are going to use it today with hanie.
It picked up a key 3rd down against the Jets. I wonder if the Bills put that play in specifically from something they saw in our game. I'd assume so.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
you might .....But you better have a shut down defense ....excellent special teams .......and power running game
That's true. If you had a really good defense that could keep the score down, and your option could control the clock and give the D long spells of rest, it could create a two pronged power attack that would be hard to fight against. Of course, if you get behind, it could gum up the strategy.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Here's an interesting wiki write up on the use of the option offense in the NFL:

For the most part, NFL coaches and pundits scoff that the option offense is obsolete for the NFL.[8] The claim is made that NFL defensive players are that much better at stopping the offense than college players. However, this remains to be seen because all NFL offenses run the pro-set family of formations. Some also argue that the high salaries received by NFL quarterbacks, discourage professional teams from using these players as primary ball-carriers (a requirement in option offenses) due to fear of injury.[8][9] The "wildcat" offense, popularized at the college level by former Arkansas offensive coordinators Gus Malzahn and David Lee in the early 2000s and used with the Miami Dolphins when Lee worked for them in the 2008 NFL season owed some of its design to the option offense.[10]

The option has made rare appearances in the NFL. Starting in 2004, Michael Vick, Warrick Dunn and T. J. Duckett ran the option with a degree of success not seen in the NFL before.[10] In a December 2007 game against the New England Patriots, the New York Jets ran the option with quarterback Brad Smith, substituting Smith for starter Chad Pennington.

In the 2008 AFC championship, Ravens QB Joe Flacco ran a QB option tucking the ball for a 5 yard gain and a first down on crucial third down. The Ravens offense was known for mixing up its game plan, and although Flacco is not known for his speed, the deception employed by Baltimore allowed for Flacco to mix up plays successfully despite an AFC championship game loss.

In the 2009 season, the New York Jets ran the option numerous times, with Brad Smith. Each play produced positive yards.[11] The Tennessee Titans also ran the option when Vince Young was re-installed as quarterback.[8] In addition, the option helped Chris Johnson rush for 2000 yards.[10]

In October of 2010 against the Oakland Raiders, David Garrard performed an option run and kept the ball for a 24 yard run to set up a FG.

On October 9 2011, the Carolina Panthers effectively ran the option twice against the New Orleans Saints. The first play was an option pitch from QB Cam Newton to RB DeAngelo Williams for a 67 yard touchdown. The second time, Cam Newton kept the ball and ran for 13 yards.[12]

A month later, the Denver Broncos ran seventeen plays with Tim Tebow as quarterback and Willis McGahee as running back totalling 196 yards on the ground.[13] The option was so effective that the Broncos played it almost exclusively in the fourth quarter of the 38-24 win over the Oakland Raiders and continued using it a week later in a 17-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.[14]
The broncs ran it a couple of times with Jay Cutler too.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

I agree running a primarily option offense isn't good.

I do however think having some of it can win championships because it's just another thing the defense has to prepare for since it forces assignment football over gaps. Can get confusing.

That said, if teams all over the NFL are going to copy us then eventually it will just become part of the game and as such, lose some of its effectiveness.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
Jay3

Quote:
And also

3. Can your QB enhance it by running over some opposing DB's and taking them out of the game?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Given the culture of prima donna wide receivers in the league, you'd probably have a hard time hanging on to your good receivers. They would primarily be down field blockers. How are you going to get any stats like that?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
It picked up a key 3rd down against the Jets. I wonder if the Bills put that play in specifically from something they saw in our game. I'd assume so.

Watching the bills right now.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #21
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
In today's Tebow interview on NBC, Cowher said something that was not followed up on and just kind of slipped by, but it struck me as a pretty strong statement. He said that no NFL team will win a championship primarily using an option offense. Unfortunately, nobody followed up on this and asked him to elaborate. So is Cowher right?
My question to Bill is -

when has anyone ever tried to do it?

Just because it's never been done doesn't mean it can't Happen...we'll never know until somebody attempts it.

consensus theories suck...at one point in time everyone thought the world was flat...but Magellan and his crew proved otherwise...nobody though man would ever fly....but the Wright Bros. gave it try...etc. etc

and i'm sure before the advent of the forward pass someone in the NFL won running the option....maybe the Pottsville Maroons?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
schaaf

We run the option 20% of the time... When the **** did that become an option only offense
Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

and another note...perhaps nobody has attempted it for several reasons...QB's not being physical beasts like Tebow is. Defenses are built more now to stop the pass and rush passer than stop a big 240 lb. QB that runs over people.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
db56
Seasoned Veteran

I wanted to choose maybe, but It wasnt an option so I choose option #3.

I dont know how anyone can say with any fact that it cant be done. I've been watching football since 1985 and I dont recall any NFL team trying to use the spread option as their primary offense, but just because its never been done doesnt mean its not possible.

Tebow has answered this question many times and I like his answer, saying that its on more thing the defense has to prepare for and its just part of the offense and not the entire offense.

I just about busted a gut when Dan Marino said that the Broncos are stunting his growth, Tebow is what he is and will never improve as a passer? !! I guess he is incappable of learning....
db56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
the little known Tebow effect strikes again....