The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default Heisman RBs

Here are the stats of two players, one is considered the front-runner for the Heisman the other is not even mentioned as a finalist candidate in many circles. Both play for BCS conferences (neither for the Big East or the defense-free Big 12).

ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
248 1622 6.5 54 29 17 248 14.6 63 5

263 1583 6.0 76 20 27 327 12.1 61 3

Which one is which?

Seems pretty despicable to me that a guy that has the second-best TDs in a season mark of all time for a RB, as well as a better Avg. in the running and passing game than another guy, isn't even mentioned in the Heisman race because he doesn't play in the SEC.

It seems to me that Ball could be a decent pick up for the Broncos in a later round (no idea where he is slotted right now) to take over some carries from McGahee.

Last edited by misturanderson; 11-27-2011 at 09:02 AM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you are talking Montee Ball of Wisconsin, he is someone I really like and could be had in the 2nd and maybe 3rd round since he does not have elite type of speed, but he has great size and toughness and has the ability to make people miss. I would be happy if the Broncos drafted him.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
OrangeSe7en

The Big 10 isn't the SEC even if they're both BCS conferences. I wouldnt mind a couple of Wisconsin's offensive lineman but Ill pass on Ball.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
The Big 10 isn't the SEC even if they're both BCS conferences. I wouldnt mind a couple of Wisconsin's offensive lineman but Ill pass on Ball.
True, the SEC is the best conference, except according to those that root against Tebow, where the SEC apparently turned to crap and he faced just a bunch of crappy defenses when he was winning 2 championships.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Why do we need two Balls?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I like Miller and Polk a lot better than Ball. Gotta hope some underclassmen declare or this class will suck at RB.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I like Miller and Polk a lot better than Ball. Gotta hope some underclassmen declare or this class will suck at RB.
Polk is really good. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best out of this class.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I can't say that I've watched much of either of those guys in actual games, but I really liked Polk's vision in his highlight reel. Miller is obviously faster than Ball, but what specifically makes these guys better?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Well 34 TDs (+ 1 passing TD) isn't 23 either. And 6.5 YPR and 14.6 YPR isn't 6.0 and 12.1 either. Seems to me that Ball deserves the Heisman based on his performance in the conference he is in, over Richardson in the conference he is in. He absolutely deserves to be in the conversation. And the Big 10 isn't a joke as far as defenses are concerned, I think it could be argued that they are the 2nd best defensive conference behind the SEC.

Last edited by misturanderson; 11-27-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

How many career carries do each have? Hope whomever we draft have some tread on the tires.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

David Wilson should be in the conversation as well.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
Well 34 TDs (+ 1 passing TD) isn't 23 either. And 6.5 YPR and 14.6 YPR isn't 6.0 and 12.1 either.
The SEC is a more competitive conference. It's produced the past 5 national champions. This past weekend, it had the top 3 ranked teams in the country.

If Trent Richardson played at Wisconsin, his numbers would probably be something like 7.0 and 35 rushing TDs. Conversely, if Ball played at Alabama, he wouldnt even be starting in front of Richardson's back up.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

As far as Wisconsin backs...i wouldn't complain. Ron Dayne still has Michael Vicks Heisman Trophy.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
The SEC is a more competitive conference. It's produced the past 5 national champions. This past weekend, it had the top 3 ranked teams in the country.

If Trent Richardson played at Wisconsin, his numbers would probably be something like 7.0 and 35 rushing TDs. Conversely, if Ball played at Alabama, he wouldnt even be starting in front of Richardson's back up.
The Heisman trophy shouldn't be awarded to hypothetical situations based on opinion of a conference as a whole. You could however look at each player's performance against Penn State since that is the only common team they each played. Guess who wins in that head-to-head? Ball, by a lot.

Guess how many top-50 rush defenses they each faced? 4 for Ball vs. 3 for Richardson.

So the 47% improvement on TDs by Ball can be completely disregarded because the SEC has produced the most national champions in the past decade?

Last edited by misturanderson; 11-27-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I can't say that I've watched much of either of those guys in actual games, but I really liked Polk's vision in his highlight reel. Miller is obviously faster than Ball, but what specifically makes these guys better?
I think a lot of Ball's success comes from having a fabulous offensive line. That might sound like a lazy indictment against him, but that is one of them. You could run for the yards he did with the holes their offensive line is opening up. Think of all the "good" running backs who have came out of Wisconsin. What have they ended up doing in the NFL? Absolutely nothing.

As you mentioned, Polk has superior vision and is a tough runner inside where it counts. Miller is by far the better athlete, with better speed and has the ability to make people miss and get to the second level.

The best I can say about Ball is that he follows his blocks well, is a patient runner and has good vision. He doesn't have good lateral agility, speed or quickness (although improved with his weight drop) which will inhibit his ability to succeed in the NFL.

He will serve well as a complimentary back in the NFL, but I doubt he will ever be a workhorse back in the NFL. Fantastic goal line back, with the ability to score touchdowns inside. He struggles in pass protection and doesn't catch balls well out of the backfield.

I just don't see anything special with him.

I think with Polk and Miller, you will get guys who can be that guy and be true difference makers on the team and be foundations to build around.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
The Heisman trophy shouldn't be awarded to hypothetical situations based on opinion of a conference as a whole. You could however look at each player's performance against Penn State since that is the only common team they each played. Guess who wins in that head-to-head? Ball, by a lot.

Guess how many top-50 rush defenses they each faced? 4 for Ball vs. 3 for Richardson.

So the 47% improvement on TDs by Ball can be completely disregarded because the SEC has produced the most national champions in the past decade?
Holy crap!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

VT - David Wilson.

Pros:

Strong bruiser, falls forward. An arm tackle isn't going to bring him down. Great balance. Makes people miss and the defense often has to gang tackle him. Punt/Kick returner, good hands.

Cons:

Will try to make something of nothing, too often. I wish he'd cover up the ball better in traffic.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote