The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Info about the Stop Online Piracy Act

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Republicans and Democrats agree on something!!

They should be allowed to order any website accused of illegal distribution of intellectual property to be shut down by all American Internet service providers. Is one of our nation's 6 media conglomerates upset at a copy & pasted article? Goodbye orangemane. Occupywallst.org causing a bit too much dissent? Someone posted a link to piratebay in their comments, bye bye!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/op...eech.html?_r=2
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer
 
MrPeepers's Avatar
 
Remember Darrent

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: AZ/CO Littleton
Posts: 1,434

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD
Default

http://americancensorship.org/

easy link for the clickies
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

What a WONDERFUL use of Congress' time. It's not like we have a debt problem to solve, or anything...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Rolandftw
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I can't see them blocking sites like youtube.

Stuff like firstrowsports, I wouldn't be surprised with them trying to block.

Course the problem is that laws in the United States are not necessarily the same in other countries where a lot of this stuff gets streamed (at least on the servers)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,573

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
What a WONDERFUL use of Congress' time. It's not like we have a debt problem to solve, or anything...
Hopefully they start a super committee on this. Then we would be fine.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

How about we leave the internet as it is, and stop adopting policies of such freedom loving places like Iran, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia and Russia?

Or maybe the corporations that are pushing for this should actually realize that $17.99 for a cd or $30 for a blueray dvd is a bit much when you have competition on the internet...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,892
Default

It would be possible for the mane to be shut down if someone post a link to a stream of the game. This is just a bad law.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 17,254

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

I've heard they're going to ban the use of the word Freedom in the States. Any truth in that
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,082

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Just another thing the boomers are going to **** up.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Canada looks great right about now.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,395

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 15,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Canada looks great right about now.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
How about we leave the internet as it is, and stop adopting policies of such freedom loving places like Iran, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia and Russia?

Or maybe the corporations that are pushing for this should actually realize that $17.99 for a cd or $30 for a blueray dvd is a bit much when you have competition on the internet...

I don't want to fully take this WRP level but this is the kind of stuff you get when you ask a government to manage every aspect of your life. The country needs a mindset change and these are merely symptoms of the problem, not the entirety of it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin
 
broncolife's Avatar
 
Ice and Fire

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 3,820
Default

Oh Crap. I better load up on all the porn I can now.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

It's interesting to me to see how the free market is responding to this regulatory threat from the government and it's corporate backers:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...free-internet/
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer
 
weed will win

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: colorado springs area
Posts: 3,732

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles
Default

shouldn't someone from a web site go on the talk show circuit and spread the word about how bad this bill is
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I don't want to fully take this WRP level but this is the kind of stuff you get when you ask a government to manage every aspect of your life. The country needs a mindset change and these are merely symptoms of the problem, not the entirety of it.
You do realize that push behind this bill comes from the entertainment industry (music and movie) and their attempt to gain control of the distribution of that media. Legalization is just the tool they are using today. But like most things when short term monetary gains are the motivation, it ****s everyone.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You do realize that push behind this bill comes from the entertainment industry (music and movie) and their attempt to gain control of the distribution of that media. Legalization is just the tool they are using today. But like most things when short term monetary gains are the motivation, it ****s everyone.
Agreed. There is no such thing as limited censorship, and that is what this bill is.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Agreed. There is no such thing as limited censorship, and that is what this bill is.



And I will tell you, I doubt the folks voting on it understand what this means. The are the some guys that are still buying CDs from Best Buy. And most of the staffers aren't much better.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
And I will tell you, I doubt the folks voting on it understand what this means. The are the some guys that are still buying CDs from Best Buy. And most of the staffers aren't much better.

Inside the Beltway common sense dies. If I were in a position like congress is, I would respectfully tell the film and music industries to **** off. More important things then protecting inflated costs of luxury items in two frivilous industries.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Inside the Beltway common sense dies. If I were in a position like congress is, I would respectfully tell the film and music industries to **** off. More important things then protecting inflated costs of luxury items in two frivilous industries.


Common sense doesn't die that stupid myth. It is just a different environment and pace then what folks are used to outside the beltway. They are bombard by more people feeding them tons of information that usually contradict every other piece of information they get from someone else. It not an easy job and there is more pressure then you can understand unless you live it.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Common sense doesn't die that stupid myth. It is just a different environment and pace then what folks are used to outside the beltway. They are bombard by more people feeding them tons of information that usually contradict every other piece of information they get from someone else. It not an easy job and there is more pressure then you can understand unless you live it.
That's what happens when you try to micromanage every facet of life.

If they're getting bombarded with too much info, tell them to stop worrying about the dealings of major league sports and worry about their other problems. If it's still too much, tell them to let the entertainment industry figure out their own protection methods. If it's STILL too much, we can find more to cut.

Government is constantly trying to find a way to extend their fingers into anything they can. Everyone wants as much power as possible. If they can't handle the power, they need to stop trying to finagle more.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
hambone13
Ring of Famer
 
Salty Lurking Vet

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,080

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
How about we leave the internet as it is, and stop adopting policies of such freedom loving places like Iran, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia and Russia?

Or maybe the corporations that are pushing for this should actually realize that $17.99 for a cd or $30 for a blueray dvd is a bit much when you have competition on the internet...

Precisely. Any censorship is bad censorship. Not to mention it puts the government further up our asses around everything in general.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #25
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Thanks for the sticky on this TJ.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Denver Broncos