The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Why We Will go RB Early

And why Chris Polk should be our guy if he declares and falls to round 2. Watch his highlights starting at 3:00. They are not the product of an o-line, they are self made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEafHF0IwqU

I'll admit, Trent Richardson is a hell of a back who packs more of a punch. This guy, however, has a lot of lateral quickness (in the mold of a Matt Forte), and can make defenders miss as they hone in on him.

Richardson will likely be gone by the time we pick, keep in mind that is why I revert to the next guy.

Polk is very good in space. He almost always makes the right decison, and has great balance, unlike another player we recently drafted (who was supposedly great in space).

He does not have "breakaway speed" going by the definition of the word. But if you give him open space, essentially any defender who can't run a 4.3 won't catch him, or they will have to at the very least dive at his feet from behind. You won't be catching up to him, like with Knowshon or perhaps McGahee.

What I like about this guy's highlights is that they aren't a product of his offensive line. You don't see him burst through any holes and run down the field untouched. That's the product of a great o-line. Almost all of his plays were self created. He just makes guys miss, or runs them over. That's the sign of a back that can do well in any system.

He played with Price in his last year at Washington, and Locker the year before. What this means is that he has PLENTY of experience with the read option, which we probably will run a bit next year. Not only is he quite good at it, but many of his best runs came out of the read.

Added bonus: Willis McGahee has crossed the dreaded 30 year old line for a runningback. Whether or not you agree with me that he only has a few years left, you have to agree with this: Fox loves having a 2nd RB worked in. The only reason it wasn't being done more is because after Slowshon went down, our reserves just weren't that great.

Polk is somewhere in between Deshaun Foster/DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart. All backs that Fox picked up on the first day of the NFL Draft. So if you think defense is a more pressing need, consider Fox's priorities.

[Youtube]LEafHF0IwqU[/Youtube] will someone freaking embed this?

Last edited by Ronnie Tsunami; 11-23-2011 at 05:07 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Armchair Bronco

Chris Polk is awesome. I get to see him each week here in Seattle. Too bad he's on a permanently rebuilding team.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
ol#7

I agree that we need another back, but round 1 or 2 would be too early. Too many other areas of immense need and I think we can do just as well in FA or a later round flyer.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Too bad he's on a permanently rebuilding team.
That's what makes him all the more impressive, IMO.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
I agree that we need another back, but round 1 or 2 would be too early. Too many other areas of immense need and I think we can do just as well in FA or a later round flyer.
I disagree and think we need to go BPA. Having that said, how do you expect this team to continue their offensive strategy if all we have next year is a 31 year old back? Do you think we can afford to run the ball 60% of the time with just Willis "I've played 3 complete seasons in my entire career" McGahee?

We need a second back. It's time to dump this notion that we are going to solve all of our problems with a single draft. We need to go BPA (Polk) and just get a guy that we know will be a great one, especially since hey, RB will be an immense need the year after!

We have the 17th ranked D in the NFL, the only ones going anyhwhere are Champ and Dawkins.

The champ thing can be addressed in the first round or FA, as can our LB situation. What you can't find in FA often, is a young, very talented running back.

Last edited by Ronnie Tsunami; 11-23-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Old 11-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I disagree and think we need to go BPA. Having that said, how do you expect this team to continue their offensive strategy if all we have next year is a 31 year old back? Do you think we can afford to run the ball 60% of the time with just Willis "I've played 3 complete seasons in my entire career" McGahee?

We need a second back. It's time to dump this notion that we are going to solve all of our problems with a single draft. We need to go BPA (Polk) and just get a guy that we know will be a great one, especially since hey, RB will be an immense need the year after!
Yep, we need to start stockpiling RB's if we stick with Tebow. But the secondary is also getting old. That's a priority too.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Yep, we need to start stockpiling RB's if we stick with Tebow. But the secondary is also getting old. That's a priority too.
Rahim Moore. Quinton Carter. Safety is set for another year or two.

CB= Sydquan. We need someone else, maybe a second guy, but we can address that in round 1 or in FA.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If a really good RB is there when the Broncos pick in the 1st round, I think they would have to seriously consider him. Granted good RB's can many times be had later, but they do need to go BPA when they pick.

In fact, I really think trading down a couple times is the path to go. They need RB and another WR since I don't see Royal coming back, and likely will draft a QB at some point in the draft too. On defense, more DL, LB, and CB help and trading down could net some very solid prospects in most of those positions. I think drafting 2 CB's is a need since Champ is older and I am not sold the CB's currently on the team are going to be starting types long term and you can never have too many DL. Plus, possible 2 RB's could be taken in the draft at some point as well since that position is not solid right now either.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I could see this. I originally thought we'd go with Trent Richardson, but we've won our way our of the top 10 draft slot that he will go. We definitely need another RB, Knowshon can't be counted on to stay healthy and McGahee has been dinged in addition to being old. We need to draft a RB next year and probably another one probably in a later round in 2013.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Um....

If we stick with Tebow and want to re-create the explosive Gators offense, you need explosive players. Also, maybe pick a kid who has tons of experience with Read Option and all of its intricacies (including a pretty advanced passing game). I present to you, our second round running back... (we need a CB or DT in the first round).

cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Rahim Moore. Quinton Carter. Safety is set for another year or two.

CB= Sydquan. We need someone else, maybe a second guy, but we can address that in round 1 or in FA.
Harris has looked pretty good. I agree, take BPA!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Um....

If we stick with Tebow and want to re-create the explosive Gators offense, you need explosive players. Also, maybe pick a kid who has tons of experience with Read Option and all of its intricacies (including a pretty advanced passing game). I present to you, our second round running back... (we need a CB or DT in the first round).

He'll prolly have the same type of career as Sproles. James is pretty small at 5'9 185 lbs.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

considering EFXs lack of confidence in tebow,it will be a QB that they draft in the 1st. IMO they have no real interest in running this offense any further than this season.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I am confused by the thread. We are going to go RB early and then select Chris Polk? He is not an early round running back.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
Ronnie Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Um....

John Fox does not draft running backs who will have a hard time running through the tackles, at least from what history has proven.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

We have Jeremiah Johnson. As soon as EFX gives him a legit shot he will erase any thoughts of drafting a running back high. All he needs is a shot. Because he is awesome.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I am confused by the thread. We are going to go RB early and then select Chris Polk? He is not an early round running back.
He mostly likely will be early second rounder. The only RB going in the first is Richardson.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

So what positions are considered deep in the 2012 draft?

I can't see them taking a RB high with needs at DT, CB, TE, and maybe QB depending on what impression Tebow leaves on Elway.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #19
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
He mostly likely will be early second rounder. The only RB going in the first is Richardson.
I think it depends on his 40 time. He looks 4.6-ish to me which is definitely not high second round.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think it depends on his 40 time. He looks 4.6-ish to me which is definitely not high second round.
He remind me a lot Miami's Daniel Thomas, who was high second rounder with 4.6 forty. I think Polk is better cutter then Thomas but they are comparable players. If Shanahan was still here I wouldn't go with him, but they zone system we are running now he is decent fit.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #21
DENVERDUI55

All I know we need to do is cut SLOWSHON.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #22
Shotgun Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
All I know we need to do is cut SLOWSHON.
Depends on who else we can sign. The guy's only making just above league minimum money next year, and you can't underestimate how important that is to Bowlen.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #23
Agamemnon

Quote:
With how heavily Fox and Co. rely on the run, they pretty much have to draft a back in the first two rounds next draft. The days of Shanny making do with scraps are long over...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i think too many are worried about when we will take a back. look at FOx's record. First rounder in Williams a couple seasons later another first rounder on Stewart. in his offense that lives and dies on the run, it makes perfect sense to take the best available backs.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
We have Jeremiah Johnson. As soon as EFX gives him a legit shot he will erase any thoughts of drafting a running back high. All he needs is a shot. Because he is awesome.
He sucks lol
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote