The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Hotwheelz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 839
Default I'm calling it -- The Sequel

Okay okay, so maybe I was wrong last time, but this time it's for real. Are you really going to argue with Vegas? I DON'T THINK SO!

WE ARE WINNING!
Attached Images
 
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,649
Default

They are built to stop this type of offense we're running. Their coach was born and bread to plan against our offensive scheme.

If we pull this off, that will REALLY be saying something.


Go Broncos!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,489
Default

Built to stop the option? no team built for that. They are all built to stop the pats and packers passing game.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,649
Default

They can consistently play clamp down one-on-one on the outside to allow a safety to drop down and spy/support the run. The also have a good running D IMO. Not all teams can stack the box and not be too worried about the deep throw. They can. Let alone Rex's history with the 46. He's even written a book (chapter) how to handle the option. What more can I say

"buit" might be a strong word... but definitely suited for it IMO.

Don't be surprised to see 9 in the box at times.

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 11-17-2011 at 02:58 AM..
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
They can consistently play clamp down one-on-one on the outside to allow a safety to drop down and spy/support the run. The also have a good running D IMO. Not all teams can stack the box and not be too worried about the deep throw. They can. Let alone Rex's history with the 46. He's even written a book (chapter) how to handle the option. What more can I say

"buit" might be a strong word... but definitely suited for it IMO.

Don't be surprised to see 9 in the box at times.
If we get 1 on 1 with Revis we still have to take our shots IMO. Also if they play 9 in the box Tebow will have to burn them down the middle of the field and attack where the safetys would have been.

I agree though a big test. Still Jets better vs pass then the run, so we have a shot IMO
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,649
Default

Yeah, and as thin as our roster is... Teeb's and this team are doing good things. I for one will not count them out. Anything is possible.

I'm still on cloud nine after winning away games against the Raiders and Chiefs. BACK to BACK. I can't even recall the last time we ever did that!

Strange how so many here have been at each others throats after these back to back wins. Something must be in the water.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
They can consistently play clamp down one-on-one on the outside to allow a safety to drop down and spy/support the run. The also have a good running D IMO. Not all teams can stack the box and not be too worried about the deep throw. They can. Let alone Rex's history with the 46. He's even written a book (chapter) how to handle the option. What more can I say

"buit" might be a strong word... but definitely suited for it IMO.

Don't be surprised to see 9 in the box at times.
I tried to find some of that book online but i can only find people talking about it, not what it's theory was.

I imagine his theory wont be the same as Oak and KC. They were sort of sitting back waiting to see who was going to run the ball. I think Jets will pick a player to shadow Tebow and he will just attack trying to make Tebow out of rythm. I think they will stack the LOS, then have a couple of them run blitz, a couple of them read and react.

IMO we will have to burn them down the middle of the field. Do we have any RB or TE that can get down the seem from the backfield or LOS? We are pretty thin there, i wish we had a weapon at the TE spot. The rookie just raw i guess, has he even been playing? Fells sort of what we thought he would be. Decent, avg, pretty good sometimes but not a really big threat at the TE spot. Also watching him recently he hasn't blocked well, which makes him a liability.

Ball is going to have to have a huge game for Broncos to win.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Yeah, and as thin as our roster is... Teeb's and this team are doing good things. I for one will not count them out. Anything is possible.

I'm still on cloud nine after winning away games against the Raiders and Chiefs. BACK to BACK. I can't even recall the last time we ever did that!

Strange how so many here have been at each others throats after these back to back wins. Something must be in the water.
Guess what, Broncos had never beaten Chiefs and Oak back to back on the road. Not ever. Not sure how many times they played back to back, but Tebow got it done.

We all know beating Oak makes Pat Bowlen a happy camper. I just hope so much for Tebow to be a good enough passer to stick in Denver. He makes me want to get excited about football again. He makes me proud he is a Bronco with all his good deeds and unselfish behavior.

He's someone whose jersey you can throw on and know he isn't going to get a DUI, rape someone, shoot someone, do drugs or make you wish you had not bought the thing. He's so much different then what we have had. From the boring im not a leader Griese, the surly Cutler, only Plummer was really likeable and a good leader.

I just have this feeling Tebows teammates are starting to believe in him. In sports when you believe good things will happen they often do. As the oline bonds with Tebow, see's how tough he is, they are going to play more and more fired up inspired ball.

Kuper especially is blowing off the snap like i have never seen him do. I have been critical of his play, last yr mostly, but last few games he is not someone I would want to line up against.

Even in our blowout he was battling with Suh like i didn't think he was capable of.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Yeah, and as thin as our roster is... Teeb's and this team are doing good things. I for one will not count them out. Anything is possible.

I'm still on cloud nine after winning away games against the Raiders and Chiefs. BACK to BACK. I can't even recall the last time we ever did that!

Strange how so many here have been at each others throats after these back to back wins. Something must be in the water.
It was the same way after the 6-win streak back at the beginning of McDaniels' tenure... calling out other posters rather than just enjoying the wins.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'm in the 30% on Denver but this was the dumb bet where I'm going with my heart rather than my brain. It can go one of two ways in my mind:

Jets try to play the ground game against Denver and use a generally conservative game plan. I think the D can contain them and the game plays slow and close.

On the other hand, they can also attempt to open it up, exploit Denver's generally weak pass D (but open themselves up to the pass rush) and stake their fortune on Sanchez being able to make some plays. If Sanchez does, the game blows wide open and they never look back. If he doesn't, they revert to plan one and we see them go back to running the ball.

Stopping Sanchez will be key tonight.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
uplink
Ring of Famer
 
uplink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,018
Default

Don't underestimate Tebow's ability to counter whatever the Jets do. He played this type of offense in college and has probably seen it all in terms of defenses designed to counter this offense. Even Fox said his man is an expert in this scheme. I think the broncos have a chance to win.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,029

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

Vegas is a dirty filthy lie...we lose by 5.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
uplink
Ring of Famer
 
uplink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I tried to find some of that book online but i can only find people talking about it, not what it's theory was.
his book: http://www.amazon.com/Coaching-Footb...dp/1585182346/
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #14
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Don't underestimate Tebow's ability to counter whatever the Jets do. He played this type of offense in college and has probably seen it all in terms of defenses designed to counter this offense. Even Fox said his man is an expert in this scheme. I think the broncos have a chance to win.
Good point. The college game should have been a testing ground for every theory to counter the attack. The fact that it's still used suggests there's always a twist you can add to continue the success with the other side being that many schemes that wouldn't work have already been proven failures.

The question simply becomes whether an accumulation of superior talent can be the difference at the pro level.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Vegas is a dirty filthy lie...we lose by 5.
This, for me, is like when I have a player playing against Denver in FF.

My preferences are:

Denver to win and score to stay under 40 (I also have the U)
Denver to win and score to go over 40
Denver to stay within 6 and score to stay under 40
Denver to stay within 6 and score to go over 40
**** everything...
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,710

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I'm in the 30% on Denver but this was the dumb bet where I'm going with my heart rather than my brain. It can go one of two ways in my mind:

Jets try to play the ground game against Denver and use a generally conservative game plan. I think the D can contain them and the game plays slow and close.

On the other hand, they can also attempt to open it up, exploit Denver's generally weak pass D (but open themselves up to the pass rush) and stake their fortune on Sanchez being able to make some plays. If Sanchez does, the game blows wide open and they never look back. If he doesn't, they revert to plan one and we see them go back to running the ball.

Stopping Sanchez will be key tonight.
I generally agree with this. They key tonight isn't our offense (we shouldn't score more than 17-21), it is limiting the Jets offense. If we force Sanchez into a couple turnovers, and get them off the field on third downs, we can win.

I'm glad Champ is healthy, because I could only imagine this game if they kept chucking it to Burress. He's past his prime, but he can easily roll up 2-3 red zone TD's.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,088

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Good point. The college game should have been a testing ground for every theory to counter the attack. The fact that it's still used suggests there's always a twist you can add to continue the success with the other side being that many schemes that wouldn't work have already been proven failures.

The question simply becomes whether an accumulation of superior talent can be the difference at the pro level.
I think doing some PA passing out of that shot gun formation could do some big things. I don't think i've seen them do that yet. They hand it off or Tebow fakes the run and takes off.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
broncs2bowl
Ring of Famer
 
broncs2bowl's Avatar
 
^Club of Death^

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,219

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

I say abuse cromartie, like Marshall has in the past.
broncs2bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Here's the thing. While no team is 'built' to stop the option, we're not a good option team. We've run it for what, two games? That makes us a highly suspect option team, not a good one. Right now, we have the element of surprise on our side BUT that surprise may be on us, since darn near every offensive player is learning the option on the job.

The Jets are a top 10 defense with a superb defensive head coach. He came from Oklahoma and undoubtedly had to defend the option all the time. Their personnel are good at key spots but it still comes down to translating the defensive scheme to the field. With 4 days to prep, at altitude, on the road, and with our defense playing up to their capability, I think we should expect to win this game outright. Take Denver and the points, as this will probably be a low scoring game with a margin of victory closer to 3.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,649
Default

I say we win can win this as long as they don't jump out early.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
It was the same way after the 6-win streak back at the beginning of McDaniels' tenure... calling out other posters rather than just enjoying the wins.
btw, I hope you didnt eat all that McDaniels crow because I don't think you ever passed it back to me by year's end. It was funny as soon as Hogan decided to eat the crow, we started losing.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Here's the thing. While no team is 'built' to stop the option, we're not a good option team. We've run it for what, two games? That makes us a highly suspect option team, not a good one. Right now, we have the element of surprise on our side BUT that surprise may be on us, since darn near every offensive player is learning the option on the job.

The Jets are a top 10 defense with a superb defensive head coach. He came from Oklahoma and undoubtedly had to defend the option all the time. Their personnel are good at key spots but it still comes down to translating the defensive scheme to the field. With 4 days to prep, at altitude, on the road, and with our defense playing up to their capability, I think we should expect to win this game outright. Take Denver and the points, as this will probably be a low scoring game with a margin of victory closer to 3.

There are college teams that will always run the option (Armed forces teams) and still rack up a ton of yards on the ground. Their weakness is that they can never pass (Navy had 2 attempts last game) and their defense is not big enough to stop the other team's offense. I know Navy has had some good years this decade but for the most part, they are one dimensional. We are playing against guys that haven't seen the option in years and many will over pursue the option. We also have a much improved defense that is helping us win games. What we have against us is that these are professional athletes and not college players. I like the winning and don't care for the direction we are going but you have to take your strengths and go with it. I just never thought it would be 55 runs and 8 passing attempts kind of offense.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #23
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

I don't think the option is that hard to defend against. It requires defensive players be disciplined. The qb must be forced to pitch the ball (or be tackled), there has to be outside contain to make the runner taking the pitch turn up field, and defender has to be in that gap. It works in some colleges, because with smaller olinemen they can cut the defenders and most importantly it makes the defense do at least three things right every play, and even then they still have to tackle.

From seeing the game, it was clear that the chorfs dline was on roller skates going backwards all game long. They ran 55 times because they could. And at least Elway confirmed that. But, they also ran power run and zone block plays. The option is just another look. And Tebow is good at it.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,710

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

I'm just a middle school coach, but when we face teams with a good "option QB," we always have our ILB tag the QB - every play. We are willing to cede a few good runs as long as we slow down the QB in the first half. Most of the time, he finishes the game on the sidelines. But, those kids aren't Tebows...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Hotwheelz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 839
Default

Self gratuitous bump.
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Denver Broncos