The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default Problems at wide receiver

Let's face it... Denver SUCKS at wide receiver.

Decker is decent at getting open, but he cannot fight off a defender in close coverage for a ball.

Royal sucks at getting open.

DeMarius Thomas is a ghost.

Willis is no better than below-average to serviceable.

How many dropped passes does Tebow have every single week? It seems like he has at least 3 or 4 dropped passes, and it really pisses me off.

Speaking of hands...it just pisses me off that they traded away a stud playmaker who is 10x better than any other receiver on the team, and this pisses me off even moreso especially considering that they have gotten back in the division race.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,084
Default

Join Date: Sep 2011 :

Decker gets open a ton, Royal needs to be utilized better, and Demaryius has high ceiling but right now hes coming back from a tough injury.

WRs aren't getting enough of a chance to judge them

Look the talent is there we just don't have a QB that can throw the ball consistently right now. Bottom line.

Last edited by KevinJames; 11-15-2011 at 10:59 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
beardedwonder
Rookie
 
go america. go broncos.

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 92

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

all people do is complain


Besides royal, they all combine for under 20 starts
beardedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Let's face it... Denver SUCKS at wide receiver.

Decker is decent at getting open, but he cannot fight off a defender in close coverage for a ball.

Royal sucks at getting open.

DeMarius Thomas is a ghost.

Willis is no better than below-average to serviceable.

How many dropped passes does Tebow have every single week? It seems like he has at least 3 or 4 dropped passes, and it really pisses me off.

Speaking of hands...it just pisses me off that they traded away a stud playmaker who is 10x better than any other receiver on the team, and this pisses me off even moreso especially considering that they have gotten back in the division race.

so you'd have kept an vocal head case in the locker room that is going to walk at the EOY, so we make a few more recpetions..

YEp that makes since..

the guy was a disruption, do you think that not throwing pass to anyone on that first drive would have sent him into orbit?

IN case you have not noticed we are running the ball and he knew that and wanted to be traded.. we got something for the clown..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Thursday night, I better not see more than 1 dropped pass against the Jets. I don't care how inexperienced you are, it don't take NFL experience to know how to catch a damn football.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Join Date: Sep 2011 :

Decker gets open a ton, Royal needs to be utilized better, and Demaryius has high ceiling but right now hes coming back from a tough injury.

WRs aren't getting enough of a chance to judge them

Look the talent is there we just don't have a QB that can throw the ball consistently right now. Bottom line.
anyone think that after Tebow has a few more weeks working with the first team timing might get better?

so far he has had 4 weeks. I suspect many of those practice hours have been focused on the running read options and not passing..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

8 Passes by Tebow. 4 were DROPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzIShKrZ9I
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Thursday night, I better not see more than 1 dropped pass against the Jets. I don't care how inexperienced you are, it don't take NFL experience to know how to catch a damn football.
so if someone dropps tha ball are you going to boycott the team?

maybe not post here..

if that is the case see ya!!!!!!
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
so if someone dropps tha ball are you going to boycott the team?

maybe not post here..

if that is the case see ya!!!!!!
Catch the ****ing ball.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Tebow doesn't exactly throw perfect spirals. There are going to be drops.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Que
Gettin' some
 
Que's Avatar
 
Just the tip

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 1,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Tebow doesn't exactly throw perfect spirals. There are going to be drops.
Neither does Peyton.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,283

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'm pretty much giving Thomas a pass for this year. When he went down the consensus was that he'd be out for the year, I doubt he's anywhere close to 100%. Next season is make or break for him.

Decker is coming along brilliantly, complaining about him at all is ridiculous.

Royal's probably not going to be a good fit with Tebow at QB, unless they start getting him even more involved/effective in the option packages.

All in all though we should be looking to become a team that runs a lot of 2 TE sets and also utilizes the FB a lot.

For me WR is pretty low down on our list of priorities going into next offseason, unless the staff feel Thomas is a write-off.
The Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth
 
sisterhellfyre's Avatar
 
fighting the clowns under my bed.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Thursday night, I better not see more than 1 dropped pass against the Jets. I don't care how inexperienced you are, it don't take NFL experience to know how to catch a damn football.
"Better not see...?"

Or what?

Oooohhh, heap big Internet tough guy makes a threat!

Remind me to be impressed sometime.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,631

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Thursday night, I better not see more than 1 dropped pass against the Jets. I don't care how inexperienced you are, it don't take NFL experience to know how to catch a damn football.
But it do take NFL experience when they linebackers want to take your head off.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
bombquixote
Ring of Famer
 
bombquixote's Avatar
 
11-5 in 2009

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Perineum
Posts: 1,114
Default

Don't worry. Things will be better after ElFox drafts a QB who can pass.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Neither does Peyton.
Elway threw some wobblers too.

The spiral of the ball should not be a problem for a pro WR. Daniel Fells had no problem catching a well-thrown wobbler while diving in the Miami game.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #19
Rolandftw
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It amazes me that people blame our WR's for four "drops"

1. An underthrown ball to Decker that should have been a TD
2. A shovel pass to Royal that looked like it wasn't going to amount to anything
3. A five yard pass to Lance Ball or Spencer Larsen I believe
4. A legitimate drop by Decker
5. Eddie Royal's drop which would have had to be caught with one hand, since it looked like his left hand was being pinned/held

I dunno which 4 of the 5 are being counted as "drops" but I only count one drop that was a receivers fault that might have led to a first down. Passing wasn't a central part of our gameplan so acting like it's a "problem" doesn't make any sense to me.

It's not really fair to blame Tebow for only going 2/8 as 8 passes isn't enough to develop any amount of rhythm. And it's not really fair to blame the WR's for not having that big of an impact considering it wasn't a part of the gameplan/the drops that occurred were at least as much Tebow's fault as the WR's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,371

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

i don't care if this team fielded Rod Smith, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and TO in their primes. if you are only throwing the ball 8 times a game, and only 4 of those throws are anywhere near on target, no receiver is going to look great.

add in, nobody has been able to figure out how to use Eddie, DT is coming off major injury, Willis was never really expected to be anything more than depth and Decker is really good at getting open, but once again when so few passes are attempted, it doesn't matter.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
It amazes me that people blame our WR's for four "drops"

1. An underthrown ball to Decker that should have been a TD
2. A shovel pass to Royal that looked like it wasn't going to amount to anything
3. A five yard pass to Lance Ball or Spencer Larsen I believe
4. A legitimate drop by Decker
5. Eddie Royal's drop which would have had to be caught with one hand, since it looked like his left hand was being pinned/held

I dunno which 4 of the 5 are being counted as "drops" but I only count one drop that was a receivers fault that might have led to a first down. Passing wasn't a central part of our gameplan so acting like it's a "problem" doesn't make any sense to me.

It's not really fair to blame Tebow for only going 2/8 as 8 passes isn't enough to develop any amount of rhythm. And it's not really fair to blame the WR's for not having that big of an impact considering it wasn't a part of the gameplan/the drops that occurred were at least as much Tebow's fault as the WR's.
If you are paid to catch the ball, you better catch it if it hits you in the dang hands.

It really is that simple.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #22
Armchair Bronco
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Can you imagine how different things would be if McStalin had drafted Dez Bryant instead of DT?

However, I'm a big fan of Decker and think he's turning into a great receiver. He needs to get a little more mean and fight for the ball. I think he starting to do justice to Easy Ed's old number.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #23
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,283

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Of the three deep balls that went incomplete one of them was what I would call a legit drop, the first one to Decker. Tebow could have led him a bit more, sure, but it was still a very catchable ball that he should have hauled in.

The one to Royal would have been a stunning catch, he was being interfered with and would have had to bring it in with one hand. You can't expect a guy to come down with that, especially not a smaller guy like Royal.

The one just before half time to Decker was a poor throw by Tebow that allowed the defender to recover and break up the pass.

All in all though, people are reading WAY TOO MUCH into such a small sample size.
The Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #24
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,062
Default

Thomas gets a pass this year because of his injury and he hasn't really had enough time to develop into the offense.

Royal has to do better and Decker does get open frequently.

The much bigger problem right now are the TEs. With the zone read/spread offense we're running, especially with an unbalanced line the WRs are on one side of the field with Tebow on the other side after the snap.

That throw (sideline to sideline) is one of the most difficult to make in the NFL and shouldn't be attempted because it's a pick six with the ball in the air longer and the defender having less ground and more time to react.

So what do you do? Drag the WRs across the middle to give Tebow the passing option? But this will mean the Safeties can crowd the box even more and stop the run, it would take too much time for the play to develop anyway, and rob Tebow of the actual strong suit of his passing game which is his long ball.

Or the TEs have to do a much better job because they're closer to the middle (blocking along the D gap as opposed to spread out wide like the WRs) and release across the middle because that forces the LBers away from a possible run anyway, gives Tebow a bigger target on his side of the field, and allows the TE to turn into a blocker on the 2nd level if Tebow does use the option and run.

I'm not sure if Fells/Rosario are capable of doing this.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-16-2011 at 04:53 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #25
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I think the problem is more the coach - Fox. Not the players... Now, these offensive players wouldn't win a championship as is but they wouldn't look this bad.

But also keep in mind that Fox's offense is designed to make opposing offenses look bad.. and it does the same to his own as well.

Last edited by MacGruder; 11-16-2011 at 06:25 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Denver Broncos