The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Your Broncos Rushing offense

After 9 games, which I think we can agree is a fair sample size...

Denver currently is ranked second in yards per game at 158.2 behind only the Eagles, which makes Denver the best rushing offense in the AFC.

They are third behind the Texans and the Eagles in total yardage, at 1424. The Texans haven't had their bye yet and so are a game up on both the Eagles and us.

They are tied for third in runs over 20 yards with 11, and have had the 8th longest run from scrimmage so far this season.

What's more interesting is in the last four games, no team, not even the Texans, has rushed for more yards per game than the Broncos.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

We have a QB who's not allowed to throw it on a consistent basis. I'm just glad SOMETHING'S working...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Bronco Yoda

Well I'd hope so since they're not throwing the ball. But I do have to give props to the O-line.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

funny gifs
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Definitely good news, especially with the monster post-Tebow numbers in the offense we're using now.

Guile's theme is pleased.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Sounds pretty sophisticated to me!
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
beardedwonder
Rookie

go america. go broncos.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

With out looking it up, were 32nd in passing the last 4 games..
Imagine if we can get that ranking up to the teens.
beardedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwonder View Post
With out looking it up, were 32nd in passing the last 4 games..
Imagine if we can get that ranking up to the teens.
FYI we're the 7th ranked passing offense in yardage and 15th in passing TD's.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

How is that possible??
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
beardedwonder
Rookie

go america. go broncos.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm not bashing tebow.

The passing O has 430 yards the last 4 games..
now give tebow 4 more weeks and I can see him hitting all the deep throws and getting an extra 80 yards a game
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Isn't Tebow about to tie an NFL record in TD's?
I've just caught the end of a comment on the radio about Tebow being close to tying a record held by either Unitas or Staubach...

Last edited by strafen; 11-14-2011 at 10:55 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

They will let Tebow throw if we get down by more then 2 scores. They just don't want to unless they have to because they are keeping defense fresh, controlling the clock, not turning ball over, and scoring just enough to win 3 out of 4.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

You win games by running the ball and playing solid defense...unless you work for ESPN and NFLN. If you do work for them, then you can ask daily "how long can Denver and Tebow keep this up"...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Not trying to hate but the Texans have the best running game in the NFL. Two RBs in the top ten in Rushing is much more impressive then what Vick and Tebow bring to the table. QBs can scramble for yards on broken plays while RBs really don't get that. That said I like what we are doing on O and we should win games because of it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #16
beardedwonder
Rookie

go america. go broncos.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Not trying to hate but the Texans have the best running game in the NFL. Two RBs in the top ten in Rushing is much more impressive then what Vick and Tebow bring to the table. QBs can scramble for yards on broken plays while RBs really don't get that. That said I like what we are doing on O and we should win games because of it.
Tebow's yardage hasnt really come on broken plays..if that's what ur saying
Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #17
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
31st in yardage, 9th in TDs.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 AM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

If you can run for 200-250 yards in a football game and the opponent doesn't show the ability to stop you from running... WHY THE HELL PASS? Running the ball is a far more safe play. Nobody is going to sit here and say that we should throw for the sake of getting Tebow the looks. He isn't going to complain either. There are plenty of QBs that would complain as would the TE/WRs. Tebow is showing good leadership, not complaining and it looks like the team is doing the same thing.

I like what Champ Bailey said about running the ball 53 times. Basically, it worked we won. I've been on teams that have thrown 55 times and lost.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Interesting read here:

Tim Tebow was 2 of 8 passing for 69 yards on Sunday. He has completed less than 50 percent of his passes in each of his games this year. He’s averaging just 131.5 passing yards per game in his four starts, not counting an average of 24 yards lost because of sacks in each game.

No one would argue that Tebow wasn’t horrific against the Lions and just as ugly for the first 55 minutes against the Dolphins. But he’s actually been a much more effective quarterback the past two weeks. What do I mean by effective?

Let’s put Tebow’s performance in a different light. We can’t ignore Tebow’s running success any more than we can ignore most quarterbacks’ passing prowess. Every time Tebow runs, he is, in essence, completing a pass to himself. If we convert all of Tebow’s runs to completions, and tack on his rushing yards and touchdowns to his passing totals, how do things look?

Against Oakland, his numbers would translate to 23/34 for 242 yards, 2 touchdowns and no interceptions. Against Kansas City, he would have been 11/17 for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns. No, he’s not Drew Brees. But over the last two games — 34 completions and rushes on 51 total attempts, for 343 net yards, 4 touchdowns and zero interceptions — he has been very effective. In those two games, using such conversions, he’d have a 66.7 percent completion rate, a 6.7 yards-per-attempt average, and a 7.9 ANY/A average. That’s effective quarterbacking, without even considering the positive effect Tebow’s presence has on non-Tebow running plays.

Of course, such analysis is only backwards looking. An offense with a one-dimensional quarterback is bound to be shut down... http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ositive-light/
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #20
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Interesting read here:

Of course, such analysis is only backwards looking. An offense with a one-dimensional quarterback is bound to be shut down... http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ositive-light/
Here's the last paragraph of the above story. Should be interesting:

If all of this seems like a sideshow to the more traditional run-and-pass action in the NFL, it’s important to realize that coaches take this option stuff very seriously. On Thursday night, Tebow’s Broncos will host the New York Jets and Rex Ryan—a guy who devotes an entire chapter to defending the option in his treatise on how to coach defense. After the Jets’ painful 21-point loss to the Patriots on Sunday night, I’m guessing that Ryan’s defense will not be in a friendly mood against the Broncos. And Ryan will have no qualms about stacking the box and daring Tebow to throw it against Darrelle Revis.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #21
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post

If all of this seems like a sideshow to the more traditional run-and-pass action in the NFL, it’s important to realize that coaches take this option stuff very seriously. On Thursday night, Tebow’s Broncos will host the New York Jets and Rex Ryan—a guy who devotes an entire chapter to defending the option in his treatise on how to coach defense. After the Jets’ painful 21-point loss to the Patriots on Sunday night, I’m guessing that Ryan’s defense will not be in a friendly mood against the Broncos. And Ryan will have no qualms about stacking the box and daring Tebow to throw it against Darrelle Revis.
More than daring Tebow to throw it, I think it's more daring Royal/Thomas to actually get open and catch it.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
More than daring Tebow to throw it, I think it's more daring Royal/Thomas to actually get open and catch it.
Yeah, not sure why people expect Tebow to throw it a lot more. They gave away the top two reveivers for nothing. Who exactly is he supposed to throw to?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Interesting read here:

Tim Tebow was 2 of 8 passing for 69 yards on Sunday. He has completed less than 50 percent of his passes in each of his games this year. He’s averaging just 131.5 passing yards per game in his four starts, not counting an average of 24 yards lost because of sacks in each game.

No one would argue that Tebow wasn’t horrific against the Lions and just as ugly for the first 55 minutes against the Dolphins. But he’s actually been a much more effective quarterback the past two weeks. What do I mean by effective?

Let’s put Tebow’s performance in a different light. We can’t ignore Tebow’s running success any more than we can ignore most quarterbacks’ passing prowess. Every time Tebow runs, he is, in essence, completing a pass to himself. If we convert all of Tebow’s runs to completions, and tack on his rushing yards and touchdowns to his passing totals, how do things look?

Against Oakland, his numbers would translate to 23/34 for 242 yards, 2 touchdowns and no interceptions. Against Kansas City, he would have been 11/17 for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns. No, he’s not Drew Brees. But over the last two games — 34 completions and rushes on 51 total attempts, for 343 net yards, 4 touchdowns and zero interceptions — he has been very effective. In those two games, using such conversions, he’d have a 66.7 percent completion rate, a 6.7 yards-per-attempt average, and a 7.9 ANY/A average. That’s effective quarterbacking, without even considering the positive effect Tebow’s presence has on non-Tebow running plays.

Son of a b**** they stole my ****!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #24
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I keep thinking about that old b/w footage of the NFL before inovation of the forward pass.

I swear when I was watching the game last Sunday, at times, it was actually in B/W!!
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #25
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets line up in a base defense of 5 DL, 3 LB, 1 safety and 2 CB's.
Have a safety play back, 2 CB's play man and the DL/LB stack the box to play the run.
If I were a DC, I don't know why I wouldn't try that to start out to see what the Broncos do.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote