The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #176
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

houston nutt got the axe last week. the ncaa should make penn state take him and the entire staff.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #177
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
houston nutt got the axe last week. the ncaa should make penn state take him and the entire staff.
Better yet, they all need to go from Penn State to the State Penn
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #178
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
What's killing me in addition to all this is the former Penn State players saying they are going to support Paterno on the sideline on Saturday...GTFO.
I wish this game wasn't against NU this week.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #179
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
What's killing me in addition to all this is the former Penn State players saying they are going to support Paterno on the sideline on Saturday...GTFO.
It just shows how powerful these programs are. What a shame.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #180
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

You know what I don't understand?

The GA. How can you see a child being raped and your blood not boil to the point of incontrollable rage and beat the rapist until he is completely dead? There would have been no need for police had I walked in and saw a child being raped. Justice would have been served right then and there and Sandusky would never have hurt another child ever again.

Yet this GA, runs home and tells his dad? WHat? I cannot possibly fathom how any human being could witness such an event and not become absolutely and totally consumed with rage.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #181
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post

The GA. How can you see a child being raped and your blood not boil to the point of incontrollable rage and beat the rapist until he is completely dead? There would have been no need for police had I walked in and saw a child being raped. Justice would have been served right then and there and Sandusky would never have hurt another child ever again.

Yet this GA, runs home and tells his dad? WHat? I cannot possibly fathom how any human being could witness such an event and not become absolutely and totally consumed with rage.
I don't understand how there's not a law that makes it a legal requirement for ANYONE that knows of abuse of a child to report it. The GA should be in shackles with every single person he told that didn't report it to police. Likewise with the priest thing, every single person there should be shackled up too. "I told my supervisor" should not suffice for anyone.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #182
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

Didn't I read that the guy who walked in on this was now an assistant coach with the program. Maybe that was the reward for not rocking the boat. All these creeps should do time.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #183
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Didn't I read that the guy who walked in on this was now an assistant coach with the program. Maybe that was the reward for not rocking the boat. All these creeps should do time.
I still don't understand at all how a human being can witness the rape of a child and be thinking of anything other than "kill that mother ****er"
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #184
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

That is pretty disconcerting. He could have been a hero in all of this.

I can maybe understand him not doing much initially. He's young and inexperienced, and he was probably shocked and scared to death. But you would have thought that after he witnessed the whole thing apparently stalling, he would have pushed it more. His dad is guilty of the same thing.

The other thing is that it's difficult to imagine misinterpreting what he saw. There's no way it was just two people wrestling around - not naked, in the shower. There's no way it was consensual - there is no such thing as consensual sex with a child. What he saw was clearly the rape of a child - there is no other way to interpret it.

Sandusky must have had sleepless nights after that, wondering when he was going to have police showing up at his door to put him in handcuffs.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #185
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
This is a great thought Dom. It's really risky in this environment of either/or mentality though

1. People are complicated, but we absolutely try to stereotype and simplify them for our own protection. People are perceived to be as good as their first impression minus their worst known behaviors. Now, Sandusky will be labeled as a child molester for the rest of his life. Period. Once labeled....

2. Judgement on this is not that complicated to me. He was going to be held to much higher standards being a coach and a volunteer for at risk boys. He voluntarily stepped into the role of PROTECTING these young men whose own families, ie fathers, abandoned them. He asked to be a mentor to them, and ended up abusing not only them but his role as a man and surrogate father. He will get what he deserves in this life or the next.

3. Children of abuse statistically either become champions for the cause if they deal with it, or abusers themselves if they do not. The vast majority of child abusers were abused themselves. It's not really genetics, its mostly environment. They may be more genetically predisposed because one of their parents was an abuser, but it's a lot more environment triggering that predisposition.

Almost always this is a learned response. They were usually the victim first and learned the behavior that way. It can be changed, but the person has to deal with the wounds that were inflicted on them first. I have worked with some guys who were horribly abused as children and they have come out the other side. However, most had not started to abuse children yet, they commited other serious felonies like dealing drugs and murder. Not many people want to work with convicted child molesters except people who were also abused and have come back from that.

4. Loyalty. People who have never had it, no nothing about it. College football is a loyalty to fans, players, and coaches. If you miss that in this, you are missing a huge piece of the puzzle. People make huge errors in judgement when they cover over the crimes to those they are loyal. Coaching staffs, programs, and teams develop intense loyalty to one another.

Sandusky was Paterno's great friend and comrade. When he heard about this incident, he made a choice to believe in his friend and do the bare minimum to cover his ass. He intentionally looked the other way on the incident based on his own statements to date. What he should have done is confront his friend and find out the truth. Immediately. Great friends do not cover for one another, they hold each other accountable. They confront evil and pursue justice even with their best friends. Great Leaders seek out the problems and deal with them, not sweep them under the rug and pray they are untrue. This is Joe Paterno's greatest failing to me. When faced with a hard problem, he let loyalty get in the way of confronting evil, pursuing justice, and helping the helpless.

I grade character as stepping up in extreme adversity. It is very easy to be high in character in good times, but the real test of a man occurs in times of extreme adversity. When faced with this, Paterno's character failed. He should have been the leader he wanted to be and faced this head on at the time. It was irresponsible to the title he held as Head Coach of PSU. It was shameful as a man and friend. And, it was downright pathetic as a human being.
amen. one of the best posts on the Mane in over 2 years.

JoPa can take the moral high ground now. He should admit responsibility for failing in his duties express deep remorse and step down immediately.

Last edited by orinjkrush; 11-09-2011 at 02:50 PM..
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #186
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
It just shows how powerful these programs are. What a shame.
Loyalty.

People do not understand how deep it runs in these programs and in life. I have no doubt Paterno was a great influence on these men's lives. However, he let them all down with his actions on this and they should not stand with him now. He should have been able to end it all right there when he had the chance.

Forgive him, sure. Stand with him in disgrace and dishonor, no way. I know my brothers would condemn my actions if I did this. Loyalty can not excuse the self serving and evil behaviors of my brothers.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #187
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Well the irony is that JoePa put his program (and his legacy) above the welfare of more than one kid he had reason to suspect was being raped. I don't think there's any doubt JoePa loves Penn St as well as his program, but he's going to resign in personal disgrace, and the Univ president will be shown the door. And the alumni who still support these guys are outed as the sociopaths they are, and the division in the fan base is going to make JoePa's successor's job a living hell. Nobody replaces a legend, but this program is gonna tear itself apart. Fitting.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #188
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I wish this game wasn't against NU this week.
Feeling a little nauseous thinking about sitting through 3 hours of a game that will be completely dominated by this sordid story. I've seen a couple commentators suggest they cancel/forfeit the game altogether. While I'd hate to see that happen to the Penn St players on what was supposed to be their Senior Day, it's hard to see how the game can serve even as a pleasant distraction from this horror show when two of the key/controversial figures are coaching in it. Ugh.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #189
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Feeling a little nauseous thinking about sitting through 3 hours of a game that will be completely dominated by this sordid story. I've seen a couple commentators suggest they cancel/forfeit the game altogether. While I'd hate to see that happen to the Penn St players on what was supposed to be their Senior Day, it's hard to see how the game can serve even as a pleasant distraction from this horror show when two of the key/controversial figures are coaching in it. Ugh.
I couldn't agree more. Only thing I will add is I hope the NU fans treat this with class.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #190
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

yeah, JoePa showing true colors. He's done a lot of good, but at the edn of the day it is all about him. It's not like he actually coaches, so it's not like the team needs him. He should step down and let his players have the rest of the year without him as a distraction. He's just trying to salvage a little bit of legacy.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #191
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I still don't understand at all how a human being can witness the rape of a child and be thinking of anything other than "kill that mother ****er"
That coach was mentored by Sandusky as a child as well. It is completely possible that he had his own encounters with the man as a child, and seeing that triggered a pretty intense flight response.

that is pure speculation of course...but we only know so much
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #192
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

I had the same question.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #193
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

When you look at the chain of events...they knew it was going on in 1998.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #194
bombay
Ring of Famer

Paterno's obese kid seems to be reveling in the attention he's getting. Bizarre.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #195
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Paterno's obese kid seems to be reveling in the attention he's getting. Bizarre.
I know. It's a little odd.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #196
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:

He was a GA, so he was what, 22 or 23 at the time? I'm guessing seeing something like that probably ranks up there with seeing someone murdered, that's not something you'd ever expect to see and was in shock.

People legitimately witness this stuff and even after time still aren't completely sure what they exactly saw and still can't believe what they walked in on. It's not a defense of him or what he did, but it happens. Some people just react differently.

His father is the one that I don't understand. We all made mistakes when we were in our early 20's (probably no where near that magnitude), but I can't believe that the guy's father never thought to report this to police. He's the one that should know better.

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 11-09-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #197
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
He was a GA, so he was what, 22 or 23 at the time? I'm guessing seeing something like that probably ranks up there with seeing someone murdered, that's not something you'd ever expect to see and was in shock.

People legitimately witness this stuff and even after time still aren't completely sure what they exactly saw and still can't believe what they walked in on. It's not a defense of him of what he did, but it happens. Some people just react differently.

His father is the one that I don't understand. We all made mistakes when we were in our early 20's (probably no where near that magnitude), but I can't believe that the guy's father never thought to report this to police. He's the one that should know better.
He was 24 I believe.

I don't have a problem calling his Dad. They should have called the police. Especially since the GA's dad is a medical professional.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #198
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post

People legitimately witness this stuff and even after time still aren't completely sure what they exactly saw and still can't believe what they walked in on. It's not a defense of him or what he did, but it happens. Some people just react differently.

It's the hillbilly lifestyle.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #199
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

PSU board of people are about to get their press conference on.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #200
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Rumor is JoePa has coached his last game at PSU.