The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #126
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

In the State of California according to California Penal Code section 11165.7 if you are a teacher, doctor, nurse coach etc. you are a "mandated reporter" which means you are mandated to report any type of abuse of a child to the authorities.

From Mandatedreporterca.com
Quote:
What if my supervisor tells me not to report my concerns because they are not sufficient?

You must still make a report the county child welfare department or local law enforcement. If the supervisor disagrees, the individual with the original suspicion must report.

Quote:
What happens if I am concerned about abuse or neglect and I do not make a report?

Legally mandated reporters can be criminally liable for failing to report suspected abuse or neglect. The penalty for this misdemeanor is up to six months in jail and/or up to a $1,000 fine. Mandated reporters can also be subject to a civil lawsuit, and found liable for damages, especially if the child-victim or another child is further victimized because of the failure to report.
So technically if Joepa was working in California, he could be facing jail time. The interesting thing is if you report it and there is no negligence or harm found, you cannot be sued or fired. Then again, I don't know the Pennsylvania state laws but if they are similar, I don't understand why this wasn't looked into more than it was.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #127
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
You can't be serious. You must know how jacked up these kids (at least 7) will be for the rest of their lives and no help to any number of kids can every equate to the harm he has cause. I hope I am misunderstanding your comments. Man the grand jury report shows the tail of a sick twisted serial pedophile who used his position of trust and authority in such and evil way it is disgusting, I don't know how you can say anyone like that has wonderful qualities.

I am frankly pretty shocked by this thread and some of the responses. A former coach raped a child in the Penn State Locker room, Joe Paterno had at least a small indication that something inappropriate was going on yet he still let this man around the program as recently as last week. I don't get any level of support for the man on this.
Did you read the rest of my post?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #128
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
In the State of California according to California Penal Code section 11165.7 if you are a teacher, doctor, nurse coach etc. you are a "mandated reporter" which means you are mandated to report any type of abuse of a child to the authorities.

From Mandatedreporterca.com

So technically if Joepa was working in California, he could be facing jail time. The interesting thing is if you report it and there is no negligence or harm found, you cannot be sued or fired. Then again, I don't know the Pennsylvania state laws but if they are similar, I don't understand why this wasn't looked into more than it was.
People don't want to upset the apple cart. Its disgusting.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #129
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

You guys are acting like this is as serious as when McDaniels hired the guy previously guilty of illegally taping practices.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #130
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Like I said...he's not legally compelled under state law(to my knowlegde) to report the crime unless it was k-12. This is a civil matter and all any lawyer has to do is show this to the jury and bam...it's a won lawsuit.
Actually in PA he is lawfully required to report the crime of child abuse/neglect. The difference is that Joe Pa didn't witness anything. He was told of indirect, 3rd party information which is why he took it to the AD and was cleared of any wrongdoing (legally speaking).

The AD and President are the real scumbags.

Last edited by BroncosSR; 11-08-2011 at 05:31 PM..
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #131
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The second worst slimeball in this whole affair is the assistant, McQuealy, or whatever his name is. He saw what he saw. Such a sight should have been burned into his brain. Then, he tells his dad and Paterno, and when nothing happens, he just goes on with his life? Is he some kind of sociopath?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #132
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
Actually in PA he is lawfully required to report the crime of child abuse/neglect. The difference is that Joe Pa didn't witness anything. He was told of indirect, 3rd party information which is why he took it to the AD and was cleared of any wrongdoing (legally speaking).

Does he actually have to witness something?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #133
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Some of my thoughts on this.

The evidence as presented is damning. However, people have faced accusations like this before, and when investigated have been found innocent. (The daycare where there were reportedly orgies and satanic worship).

The people at PSU who knew of wildly inappropriate behavior and merely kicked it down the road and not tell the police disgust me. If you saw a 50 year old man doing something odd with a 10 year old why do you run off and NOT try to get to the kid?

If (benefit of the doubt) Sandusky is a pedophile, these 7 kids are not the only ones. These type of people dont just start raping kids out of the blue. Does anyone else think its weird to have an adult shower with young athletes? Is that normal? I played soccer, wrestled, did football and never had that happen.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #134
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post

Where would he be required to report it? Police or Child Welfare? Cause he didn't do that.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #135
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
He should. When you know about someone on your staff molesting a 10 year old boy in the locker room, you call the police. You don't hand it off to administration to handle it internally.
You call the police on your job without passing it up the line to your supervision and you will create a real career ending or limiting situation
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #136
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
You call the police on your job without passing it up the line to your supervision and you will create a real career ending or limiting situation
No, he is legally protected if he went to the proper authorities about this incident.

Quote:
Generally, any person who, in good faith, reports or causes a report to be made and cooperates with agency investigations and proceedings, shall have immunity from civil and criminal liability related to those actions, as provided by law (23 Pa. C.S. 6318). A person required to report suspected child abuse is presumed to have acted in good faith.
On the other hand...

Quote:
A person required to report a case of suspected child abuse who willfully fails to do so may be subject to criminal prosecution. (23 Pa. C.S. 6319)

Last edited by 24champ; 11-08-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #137
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The second worst slimeball in this whole affair is the assistant, McQuealy, or whatever his name is. He saw what he saw. Such a sight should have been burned into his brain. Then, he tells his dad and Paterno, and when nothing happens, he just goes on with his life? Is he some kind of sociopath?
I agree. Initially, his conscience obviously was steering him right, with the shock he described as a result of seeing what he saw. And maybe in his inexperience, calling his dad wasn't such a bad thing to do. From there, the process should have quickly escalated to the only reasonable conclusion: Sandusky being arrested. When that didn't happen, there should have been a point when he put more fuel on the fire.

In other words, when he saw Sandusky continue to enjoy freedom, he should have gone to the police and media himself. He should have done that no more than a day or two after having witnessed the disgusting scene in the shower. It might have been scary, and he might have felt that he was sacrificing his future. But it was the only correct thing to do.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #138
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The thing about it (and I'm sure I will have some people completely disagree with me on this) is that I have no doubt Jerry Sandusky has some wonderful qualities. I bet there are many, many times more kids that he's helped than there are those that he's hurt. I bet he had some pretty complicated, elaborate equations that he used to justify his behavior.

He still deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. But I'm glad I don't have to be the one to pass a final judgement on him. I think it will be complicated.

I think there must be something different in the genetic makeup of pedophiles. Sexual attraction to children is such a foreign concept to most of us. I just don't see how a person with normal sexual appetites ever gets there - even if it happens over time. Throw in the fact that it does such incredible harm to the victim - irreparable harm - and I can't imagine how even a narcissist could justify doing it.

During college, I worked as a psych tech at the state mental hospital. Part of that time was spent at the youth facility, where the vast majority of the patients have had sexual abuse in their history. These were basically throw-away kids - it was so heartbreaking. Most of them will be sexual offenders when they grow up - most will simply replicate relationships and activities that experienced as children. So, you have people like Sandusky decide that to fulfill a moment's sexual pleasure, it is worth ruining potentially generations of people.

Like I said, it's just not a process that evolves in a normal person's brain - even a selfish, deprived person. I don't think there's a way to rehabilitate it. You just have to lock them up, and never allow them to be in a position to do it again.
He ****ed a ten year old kid. It doesn't matter who he has helped. He deserves to die.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #139
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
1. tough ****

2. yeah right. he's jopa, what were they going to do? fire him?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #140
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #141
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
He ****ed a ten year old kid. It doesn't matter who he has helped. He deserves to die.
Right. But again, you're preaching to the choir. As I said, "he deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison."

But again, I am saying that there are all kinds of degrees of justification. I'm guessing he justified his own actions by saying he was helping more children than he was harming. I'm sure those around him justified their suspicions by saying that they must have been mistaken - that surely, a person so dedicated to helping children couldn't possibly be doing the harm they thought they were witnessing.

There have been a couple responses to my post, wondering how I could defend something like this. So, I must not have explained myself well. I would never defend it. I said that the only safe response is to remove the person from society, with no second chance - that it wasn't a behavior that could be corrected. I've seen the long-term, irreparable harm it causes for the victims and their families. But I think it's positive to try and understand how it happens - to the predator, AND the enablers.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #142
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Paterno will resign before Saturday's game.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #143
Punisher
Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
He should have retired ten years ago. Now, he goes out in disgrace.
This
It's a shame everything he build and work for will be stained with this incident
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #144
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Right. But again, you're preaching to the choir. As I said, "he deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison."

But again, I am saying that there are all kinds of degrees of justification. I'm guessing he justified his own actions by saying he was helping more children than he was harming. I'm sure those around him justified their suspicions by saying that they must have been mistaken - that surely, a person so dedicated to helping children couldn't possibly be doing the harm they thought they were witnessing.

There have been a couple responses to my post, wondering how I could defend something like this. So, I must not have explained myself well. I would never defend it. I said that the only safe response is to remove the person from society, with no second chance - that it wasn't a behavior that could be corrected. I've seen the long-term, irreparable harm it causes for the victims and their families. But I think it's positive to try and understand how it happens - to the predator, AND the enablers.
The number is up to 20 kids now. I mean, how many kids did he actually help with football camps? I've been to lacrosse camps before and no coach has ever changed my life for the better or helped me.

I'm sure he has helped college kids because he obviously has not interest in them.

I don't think he deserves life in prison, I think he deserves death by castration. Let the ****er bleed out.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #145
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

This whole thing disgusts me.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #146
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

I've lost all respect for Joe Paterno. What a scumbag.

I'm starting to really hate college football...it seems that most of the coaches involved in the college game are lying, cheating, win-at-all-costs lowlifes just waiting to be exposed.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #147
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

I just read the grand jury report and I'm physically ill. I hope Sandusky doesn't get an opportunity to swallow a bullet before they send him to prison for life.
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #148
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

You can't make this **** up: http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Jerry-.../dp/1582613575
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #149
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post

Check the reviews out
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #150
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
I just read the grand jury report and I'm physically ill. I hope Sandusky doesn't get an opportunity to swallow a bullet before they send him to prison for life.

I just read it and i am speechless the dude was a sexual predator and nobody did anything about it that just makes me sick.