The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #101
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I seriously doubt JoePa knew anything. I'm guessing that any real information was probably hidden from him. He's old, he's a legend, he's proven time and time again that he has integrity.

IMHO, he simple didn't know what was going on.
Not knowing what was going on when the Grand Jury report clearly shows that he did? Give me a break and don't defend this guy, he doesn't deserve it. This is the worst thing that has happened in a college locker room ever and it happened on Mr. Integrity's watch.

Give me a break.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #102
Shotgun Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Read the Grand Jury Report. The assistant reported anal rape.
Once again.....I DID. Maybe you should. He reported anal rape to the higher ups. This is not in question. What is in question is what exactly he reported to Joe Pa in their meeting the day before the meeting with the higher ups. That was a different meeting and nowhere is HE quoted as saying he told Joe Pa that. The grand jury testimony, which was posted here, only gives Joe Pa's side of that one on one meeting. And he was very clear that anal rape was not reported to him.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #103
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I feel bad for him. Odds are he will be forced out then we will find out he didn't do anything wrong like Tressel.
Please don't compare Tressel protecting his athletes to Paterno not doing everything he could to protect innonect children from getting raped by a 50 year old man...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #104
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
Once again.....I DID. Maybe you should. He reported anal rape to the higher ups. This is not in question. What is in question is what exactly he reported to Joe Pa in their meeting the day before the meeting with the higher ups. That was a different meeting and nowhere is HE quoted as saying he told Joe Pa that. The grand jury testimony, which was posted here, only gives Joe Pa's side of that one on one meeting. And he was very clear that anal rape was not reported to him.
Either way, JoePa is done. There's no surviving this scandal.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #105
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

"The next morning the assistant went to Paterno's home and reported to him what he had seen".

To me he would have reported exactly what he saw as he did with the university higher ups.

Even if Jo-Pa only knew of inappropriate touching that is enough (hell any report of that nature no matter how small it is is enough) to make sure that this bastard never did anything like this again.

Jo-Pa is culpable.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #106
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Either way, JoePa is done. There's no surviving this scandal.
Yeah, he's finished. I'm not sure he makes it through this week.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #107
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
"The next morning the assistant went to Paterno's home and reported to him what he had seen".

To me he would have reported exactly what he saw as he did with the university higher ups.

Even if Jo-Pa only knew of inappropriate touching that is enough (hell any report of that nature no matter how small it is is enough) to make sure that this bastard never did anything like this again.

Jo-Pa is culpable.
you sure seem impartial

is it possible he told Paterno, "I saw the retired coach touching a youngster in an inappropriate way", and then the next day told the university officials, upon further questioning by them about what that exactly meant, that he witnessed a rape in progress?

you'd have to believe that Paterno has no problem with the concept of child molestation to believe that he would do nothing if told directly that's what was going on. what in Paterno's history would suggest that?

Last edited by Gort; 11-08-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #108
Shotgun Willie

Quote:

One would think so. But Joe Pa went on record with his side of the story, stating very clearly that anal rape was never mentioned, and the assistant never denied it. That's telling IMO.

Quote:
"Even if Jo-Pa only knew of inappropriate touching that is enough (hell any report of that nature no matter how small it is is enough) to make sure that this bastard never did anything like this again.

Jo-Pa is culpable.
Not debating that. Just pointing out that there's a HUGE difference between being told of an underage anal rape episode and being told that you "saw something inappropriate". I know I'd react differently.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #109
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:

Jo-Pa is culpable.
This. As a PSU grad, its not only what JoPa knew and did; its what he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN AND DID. Especially since he has prided himself for years for "doing the right thing" when it came to his players. Apparently that didnt extend to the coaches too.

Talk about being ashamed for your school.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #110
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
I went to Catholic school for 8 years, my mother was in a convent for 3 years before deciding against taking orders. Most of my family is Catholic. I have a bachelor's degree in Theology. I am not exactly sure what you are trying to tell me. I have issues with the way the Catholic Church handled the issue, which was largely to hide it, not with Catholicism itself.
IT was in regards to te other thread and the study of religion.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #111
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Joe Posnanski wrote a great column on all of this.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/06/darkness/

My favorite part: "I came to the conclusion then ó a conclusion that has congealed through the years ó that people are complicated and contradictory and mysterious and often bewildering. Good people do bad things, bad people do good things, happy people get lost, lost people become heroes. This is the wonderful and depressing and daunting challenge of writing about people. Things donít always make sense. Mistakes are made. Greatness emerges when you donít expect it. There have been thousands of books written about Abraham Lincoln. There will be thousands more. And none of them will ever get him in his entirety."
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #112
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

This is absolutely awful. Feel terrible for those kids. It's the ultimate wake up call for the Penn St. (we never do anything wrong, our athletes get punished by cleaning the stadium) fans. They were the first to throw stones when the Tressel story first broke. Joe Pa was going to be done after this year one way or the other. Now his legacy will be this and not the all time wins record.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #113
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Please don't compare Tressel protecting his athletes to Paterno not doing everything he could to protect innonect children from getting raped by a 50 year old man...
Not even close to what I said. Lol
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #114
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I just read the full GA report. I just want to grab him by his roman nose, joepa, and beat the trash outta him and break his hip. And this Sandusky trash....I'd just put a bullet in him and call it a day.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #115
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
IT was in regards to te other thread and the study of religion.
I will answer on that thread so this doesn't derail the actual topic of the thread.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #116
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The thing about it (and I'm sure I will have some people completely disagree with me on this) is that I have no doubt Jerry Sandusky has some wonderful qualities. I bet there are many, many times more kids that he's helped than there are those that he's hurt. I bet he had some pretty complicated, elaborate equations that he used to justify his behavior.

He still deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. But I'm glad I don't have to be the one to pass a final judgement on him. I think it will be complicated.

I think there must be something different in the genetic makeup of pedophiles. Sexual attraction to children is such a foreign concept to most of us. I just don't see how a person with normal sexual appetites ever gets there - even if it happens over time. Throw in the fact that it does such incredible harm to the victim - irreparable harm - and I can't imagine how even a narcissist could justify doing it.

During college, I worked as a psych tech at the state mental hospital. Part of that time was spent at the youth facility, where the vast majority of the patients have had sexual abuse in their history. These were basically throw-away kids - it was so heartbreaking. Most of them will be sexual offenders when they grow up - most will simply replicate relationships and activities that experienced as children. So, you have people like Sandusky decide that to fulfill a moment's sexual pleasure, it is worth ruining potentially generations of people.

Like I said, it's just not a process that evolves in a normal person's brain - even a selfish, deprived person. I don't think there's a way to rehabilitate it. You just have to lock them up, and never allow them to be in a position to do it again.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #117
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The thing about it (and I'm sure I will have some people completely disagree with me on this) is that I have no doubt Jerry Sandusky has some wonderful qualities. I bet there are many, many times more kids that he's helped than there are those that he's hurt. I bet he had some pretty complicated, elaborate equations that he used to justify his behavior.

He still deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. But I'm glad I don't have to be the one to pass a final judgement on him. I think it will be complicated.

I think there must be something different in the genetic makeup of pedophiles. Sexual attraction to children is such a foreign concept to most of us. I just don't see how a person with normal sexual appetites ever gets there - even if it happens over time. Throw in the fact that it does such incredible harm to the victim - irreparable harm - and I can't imagine how even a narcissist could justify doing it.

During college, I worked as a psych tech at the state mental hospital. Part of that time was spent at the youth facility, where the vast majority of the patients have had sexual abuse in their history. These were basically throw-away kids - it was so heartbreaking. Most of them will be sexual offenders when they grow up - most will simply replicate relationships and activities that experienced as children. So, you have people like Sandusky decide that to fulfill a moment's sexual pleasure, it is worth ruining potentially generations of people.

Like I said, it's just not a process that evolves in a normal person's brain - even a selfish, deprived person. I don't think there's a way to rehabilitate it. You just have to lock them up, and never allow them to be in a position to do it again.
i'm surprised he hasn't blown his brains out yet. this is a guy with "standing" in his community. he's now shamed himself, his friends, his former players, his family... the only people standing by him are ones who do not believe he was capable of doing what he's alleged to have done. if this process drags on, and the evidence starts growing, they will all abandon him. for somebody like him, i think swallowing the end of a shotgun will be more appealing than a lengthy trial and life in prison. i would still wager the odds are better than 50-50 that this will end that way.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #118
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

One little anecdote about Joe Paterno.

When I was in college, Penn State was in town for a football game. Lavell Edwards (then the coach at BYU) and Joe Paterno are apparently old friends, and they went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant where my friend was waiting tables. At the time, she had just received her assignment to serve an 18-month LDS mission in South America - she was leaving as soon as the fall semester at BYU was finished.

So, while going back and forth in the normal process of serving their table, she gets talking to Paterno, and he starts asking about her mission - what she would be doing, where she would live, what her plans were afterwards, etc. She said he was really friendly; and while he seemed genuinely interested in hearing about it, she just sort of assumed it was little more than small talk.

After Lavell and Paterno left, my friend found that Paterno had left her a note and a personal check (made out to her first name only, which was on her name tag) for $1,000. The note said that he had really enjoyed talking with her, that he admired her for her willingness to make such a commitment, and he hoped she could use the money to help pay for her mission.

I've always admired the guy. I can't say I feel sorry for his situation, if he indeed could have done anything to stop Sandusky from abusing more children. The whole thing is just sad - sad that something that could have been so positive has turned out to be so negative - even for those kids. What a wonderful experience for these kids to meet their heroes, and to get to feel important at a place they would otherwise only dream of - a dream that turned into a nightmare for some of them.

Paterno is a good man who used some really poor judgement, in this case.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #119
LakotaBronco

Just wondering out loud.....I wonder of Jopa is going to lead Penn State out onto the field this Saturday?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #120
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
One would think so. But Joe Pa went on record with his side of the story, stating very clearly that anal rape was never mentioned, and the assistant never denied it. That's telling IMO.

Not debating that. Just pointing out that there's a HUGE difference between being told of an underage anal rape episode and being told that you "saw something inappropriate". I know I'd react differently.
Yes, I would probably react differently if I was told about rape versus inappropriate touching. Rape, I would probably kill the bastard, inappropriate touching, I would just dismember him.

Seriously, he was told of an inappropriate incident, then let the guy hang around kids for years after and never thought anything more of it? Puzzling to me, but I don't have a program to protect either....
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #121
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I can agree that he's a good person, but this situation is when its time to stand up and be counted. I am the most disappointed by the GA outside of the ****bag who was abusing those children.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #122
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I have no doubt Jerry Sandusky has some wonderful qualities. I bet there are many, many times more kids that he's helped than there are those that he's hurt.
You can't be serious. You must know how jacked up these kids (at least 7) will be for the rest of their lives and no help to any number of kids can every equate to the harm he has cause. I hope I am misunderstanding your comments. Man the grand jury report shows the tail of a sick twisted serial pedophile who used his position of trust and authority in such and evil way it is disgusting, I don't know how you can say anyone like that has wonderful qualities.

I am frankly pretty shocked by this thread and some of the responses. A former coach raped a child in the Penn State Locker room, Joe Paterno had at least a small indication that something inappropriate was going on yet he still let this man around the program as recently as last week. I don't get any level of support for the man on this.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #123
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Puzzling to me, but I don't have a program to protect either....
**** the stupid football program. These are kids lives they're ****ing with.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #124
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaBronco View Post
Just wondering out loud.....I wonder of Jopa is going to lead Penn State out onto the field this Saturday?
That's TBD by the PSU officials that were conferring to come up with Jopa's exit strategy.

He should resign ASAP.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #125
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

^^^ I was obviously being sarcastic.

One last thing and I can't take this anymore as I want to throw up.

This was in Joe Pa's statement on Sunday. "If this is true we were all fooled..." I don't understand this statement. How can he say he was fooled when he was made aware of at least inappropriate touching? It doesn't add up. I think a long time friend was in trouble and Joe made an awful choice that affected greatly the lives of at risk young children. Nothing he has ever done or he does now can change that in my opinion. That is obviously my opinion and skewer me for it if you will...