The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #76
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
NY Times is reporting that PSU officials are already trying to come up with JoePa's exit strategy. Looks like he may not even make it until the end of the season. Completely justified IMO.
That's the way it goes. When you take a job at a school, whether you are teaching or coaching at any level, you are responsible for the well being of the kids and students. It's a huge responsibility and parents are placing their trust in these coaches and teachers, and in an extreme situation like this, I find it sickening that nobody came to these kids defense.

This whole situation could have been resolved the right way if everyone did their jobs. They didn't and now they have to pay the price for it.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #77
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
That's the way it goes. When you take a job at a school, whether you are teaching or coaching at any level, you are responsible for the well being of the kids and students. It's a huge responsibility and parents are placing their trust in these coaches and teachers, and in an extreme situation like this, I find it sickening that nobody came to these kids defense.

This whole situation could have been resolved the right way if everyone did their jobs. They didn't and now they have to pay the price for it.
100% agree.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #78
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
The skanks at Shandygaff and Gingerbread Man scoff at that remark...
I totally forgot about the Gman up there. I liked the Dark Horse too.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #79
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

there's a bit of a media-inspired rush to judgement here...

Quote:
As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.
if Paterno didn't know the specifics, then what should he have done differently?

should he have called the retired coach into his office to find out what was going on? or should he have called the police with only vague second hand allegations and asked them to interview the former coach?

if the graduate assistant couldn't bring himself to tell Paterno that he actually witnessed a rape, then how could Paterno know the true gravity of the situation? if all Paterno was told is that something inappropriate was witnessed, then what exactly did Paterno do wrong by following school policy and passing the info to his superiors?
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #80
Shotgun Willie

Thank you, johngalt....my exact questions from earlier.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #81
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
From everything I've read, he did precisely what the PSU code of conduct required him to do based off of the information he was given by the witness to the incident.
And when he heard nothing came about it, what did he do then? Not sure of the timeline but did they just have the creep retire instead of taking it further? JoPa knew of the incident and should have demanded real action take place.
Have not seen it yet but I am going with it.
PSU
Pedophile
State
University
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #82
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but if I walked into a shower and saw a middle aged man sodomizing a ten year old kid, I'd **** him up bad. Then call the police.
That's what I don't get. How do you turn around and walk away, distraught? I would open a can of a rage on that sick perv.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #83
Stagger Lee

Pure speculation on my part, but why did Paterno force out a 55 year old Sandusky in 1999, after he had previously told Sandusky that he was to be the next head coach of Penn State? The first criminal investigation was in 1998, correct?

While Paterno may have done what he was required to do legally, I find exceedingly difficult to believe that he had no idea of what was going on. And on top of that, after hearing whatever he heard in 2002, he still let Sandusky on campus, with young kids in tow? Seems he should have washed his hands of the dude then.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #84
Shotgun Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
And when he heard nothing came about it, what did he do then?
I don't know, maybe, assume the powers that be did their jobs, investigated and found no wrongdoing or not enough to bring charges?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #85
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

The real villain is the bastard who did it, piece of crap, Jerry Sandusky. The others are complicit douchebags whose pensions and careers I hope are destroyed for failing to act, but Sandusky, well he's a entirely bigger piece of waste. That is a guy I would like to go to prison and have lot of dropped bars of soap. Either that or get trapped between two rocks and have to cut his arm off only to be immediately eaten alive by a bear or some such thing. As long as he suffers before he dies that would be good.

Though I do think the administration who failed to act need severe repercussions. Never again can we allow this to happen. Did we learn nothing from the failures of the Roman Catholic Church to truly address the pedophile priests (hiding it, moving them from Diocese to Diocese is not a solution).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Miss I.; 11-08-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #86
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I don't know, maybe, assume the powers that be did their jobs, investigated and found no wrongdoing or not enough to bring charges?
If it is something that serious, I would want to know the exact details. There are reports. How about the coach that actually saw the incident? How can he not say anything when it looked like it was swept under the rug?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #87
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ry_sandus.html

this was really sad, an article about some of the mother's trying to get this dealt with and being met with barriers.

"Ten years before he came forward, another child, now 24, had also spoken up. He wasn’t believed. Allegations he made against Sandusky about touching during a shared shower at Penn State in 1998 never resulted in charges.

Sandusky, through his attorney, denies all the charges. Attorney Joe Amendola, said Sandusky attributes the allegations to troubled kids who are acting out."

"Prosecutors allege the administrators ignored a 2002 report from a graduate assistant — identified by sources as Mike McQueary — that he saw Sandusky having sex with a young boy in a shower.

McQueary, now an assistant coach for the Nittany Lions football team, went to his father first, then to coach Joe Paterno.

I don’t even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel,” said the mom of Victim Six. “[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized ... He ran and called his daddy?

there's so much more. it's awful and sad statement about protecting the wrong people, not the boys being abused, but the adult who committed the acts and the paychecks of his bosses.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #88
Shotgun Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
How about the coach that actually saw the incident? How can he not say anything when it looked like it was swept under the rug?
I'm with you on that part. No excuse.

So far, there is at least doubt as to what exactly Joe Pa knew and how much detail he was given about the act, so I'm going to cut him some slack. But the coach who saw the incident doesn't have that luxury. He knows and has testified as to what he saw and did nothing.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #89
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ry_sandus.html

this was really sad, an article about some of the mother's trying to get this dealt with and being met with barriers.

"Ten years before he came forward, another child, now 24, had also spoken up. He wasn’t believed. Allegations he made against Sandusky about touching during a shared shower at Penn State in 1998 never resulted in charges.

Sandusky, through his attorney, denies all the charges. Attorney Joe Amendola, said Sandusky attributes the allegations to troubled kids who are acting out."

"Prosecutors allege the administrators ignored a 2002 report from a graduate assistant — identified by sources as Mike McQueary — that he saw Sandusky having sex with a young boy in a shower.

McQueary, now an assistant coach for the Nittany Lions football team, went to his father first, then to coach Joe Paterno.

I don’t even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel,” said the mom of Victim Six. “[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized ... He ran and called his daddy?

there's so much more. it's awful and sad statement about protecting the wrong people, not the boys being abused, but the adult who committed the acts and the paychecks of his bosses.
I live about 1hrish from PSU - so trust me - that's been looped...a lot.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #90
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I seriously doubt JoePa knew anything. I'm guessing that any real information was probably hidden from him. He's old, he's a legend, he's proven time and time again that he has integrity.

IMHO, he simple didn't know what was going on.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 11-08-2011 at 01:33 PM..
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #91
Gort
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Pure speculation on my part, but why did Paterno force out a 55 year old Sandusky in 1999, after he had previously told Sandusky that he was to be the next head coach of Penn State? The first criminal investigation was in 1998, correct?

While Paterno may have done what he was required to do legally, I find exceedingly difficult to believe that he had no idea of what was going on. And on top of that, after hearing whatever he heard in 2002, he still let Sandusky on campus, with young kids in tow? Seems he should have washed his hands of the dude then.
the media runs wild during the first few days of a juicy scandal and they throw out accusations at lightning speed trying to be the first to get on the air with the next juicy new tidbit. it's only weeks or months later that we find out most of the accusations aren't true.

all i'm saying is slow down and don't let the media jump to conclusions before all parties have had a chance to speak and the investigation has had a chance to proceed.

i'm no particular fan of Penn State, but i find it hard to believe that Paterno would "sweep under the rug" a scandal such as this. i don't think he knew what the media insists he "must have known". Paterno is a busy football coach. he's not King Solomon.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #92
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I feel bad for him. Odds are he will be forced out then we will find out he didn't do anything wrong like Tressel.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #93
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
the media runs wild during the first few days of a juicy scandal and they throw out accusations at lightning speed trying to be the first to get on the air with the next juicy new tidbit. it's only weeks or months later that we find out most of the accusations aren't true.

all i'm saying is slow down and don't let the media jump to conclusions before all parties have had a chance to speak and the investigation has had a chance to proceed.

i'm no particular fan of Penn State, but i find it hard to believe that Paterno would "sweep under the rug" a scandal such as this. i don't think he knew what the media insists he "must have known". Paterno is a busy football coach. he's not King Solomon.
Fair enough. I still think he knew more than he has let on, but you are correct in saying that we should wait until this clears up a bit before passing judgement on the man.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #94
Gort
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
The real villain is the bastard who did it, piece of crap, Jerry Sandusky. The others are complicit douchebags whose pensions and careers I hope are destroyed for failing to act, but Sandusky, well he's a entirely bigger piece of waste. That is a guy I would like to go to prison and have lot of dropped bars of soap. Either that or get trapped between two rocks and have to cut his arm off only to be immediately eaten alive by a bear or some such thing. As long as he suffers before he dies that would be good.

Though I do think the administration who failed to act need severe repercussions. Never again can we allow this to happen. Did we learn nothing from the **** the Roman Catholics inflicted.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
the Roman Catholics?

i'm Roman Catholic. are you saying i did something?

the Roman Catholics didn't do anything. some pedophile priests did. there's a distinction to be made. Roman Catholics were/are more angry about what happened than those outside the church.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #95
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
there's a bit of a media-inspired rush to judgement here...

if Paterno didn't know the specifics, then what should he have done differently?

should he have called the retired coach into his office to find out what was going on? or should he have called the police with only vague second hand allegations and asked them to interview the former coach?

if the graduate assistant couldn't bring himself to tell Paterno that he actually witnessed a rape, then how could Paterno know the true gravity of the situation? if all Paterno was told is that something inappropriate was witnessed, then what exactly did Paterno do wrong by following school policy and passing the info to his superiors?
He needed to call the police.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #96
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
the Roman Catholics?

i'm Roman Catholic. are you saying i did something?

the Roman Catholics didn't do anything. some pedophile priests did. there's a distinction to be made. Roman Catholics were/are more angry about what happened than those outside the church.
Sorry that was inflammatory and what I meant was the Church itself. I'll fix it. I do think the Roman Catholic Church passed their problems from church to church, though I've never believed they were the only church or big organization to do so. If I recall, there was a similar issue with the boy scouts, and there is a reason why youth sports in general now have stricter requirements for who can volunteer to work with kids.

I am a Roman Catholic by birth and education, but the Church scandals were one of many reasons that made me leave.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #97
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Sorry that was inflammatory and what I meant was the Church itself. I'll fix it. I do think the Roman Catholic Church passed their problems from church to church, though I've never believed they were the only church or big organization to do so. If I recall, there was a similar issue with the boy scouts, and there is a reason why youth sports in general now have stricter requirements for who can volunteer to work with kids.

I am a Roman Catholic by birth and education, but the Church scandals were one of many reasons that made me leave.
I went to a Southern Baptist Military school. We went to Chapel 5 times a week. I had to pass religious studies to graduate high school. And my mother was CAtholic
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #98
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I went to a Southern Baptist Military school. We went to Chapel 5 times a week. I had to pass religious studies to graduate high school. And my mother was CAtholic
I went to Catholic school for 8 years, my mother was in a convent for 3 years before deciding against taking orders. Most of my family is Catholic. I have a bachelor's degree in Theology. I am not exactly sure what you are trying to tell me. I have issues with the way the Catholic Church handled the issue, which was largely to hide it, not with Catholicism itself.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #99
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
He needed to call the police.
Yup, they all needed to go to the police but didn't.

And for that, they are all going down.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #100
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Unless the assistant says otherwise, which he hasn't so far, nobody is claiming that Joe was told that the event in the shower went that far.
Read the Grand Jury Report. The assistant reported anal rape.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote