The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #226
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Yea , I have been ... It's bad.
That tells me it's a bunch of freshmen.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #227
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
I think a lot of people would go from shock to rage in about 1.5 seconds tho in this scenario...
I dont know about that. Now, if i walked into the room and someone told me "hey, Sandusky is ****in some kid, what should we do" Then I'd walk in with rage and wanna kill him.

Ive thought about this alot. I work for News Corp. Lets say I walked into the bathroom on a normal day to take a piss...and suddenly saw Rupert Murdoch having sex with some young boy. I think my first reaction would be utter shock, following by revulsion, followed quickly my complete confusion simply because its 1) the last thing I thought I'd ever see and 2) its arguably the worst thing a human can see. So while its easy to say we'd all go and beat his ass, the brain/body does some strange **** when you go into shock.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #228
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont know about that. Now, if i walked into the room and someone told me "hey, Sandusky is ****in some kid, what should we do" Then I'd walk in with rage and wanna kill him.

Ive thought about this alot. I work for News Corp. Lets say I walked into the bathroom on a normal day to take a piss...and suddenly saw Rupert Murdoch having sex with some young boy. I think my first reaction would be utter shock, following by revulsion, followed quickly my complete confusion simply because its 1) the last thing I thought I'd ever see and 2) its arguably the worst thing a human can see. So while its easy to say we'd all go and beat his ass, the brain/body does some strange **** when you go into shock.
Yes...it's called fight or flight.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #229
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Watch these kids on ESPN...they can't form a coherent thought and present it.
This is the only clip I saw: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7214785 and the complete ignorance of the last student baffles me.
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #230
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemhess View Post
This is the only clip I saw: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7214785 and the complete ignorance of the last student baffles me.
Good news is that's they same idiot I saw.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #231
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Is McQueary canned as well?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #232
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

This whole thing fills me with such rage. And people saying, "Oh, it's a sad day for Paterno." **** that. Tenure and folklore doesn't provide immunity. I don't care who he reported what to -- if he was told of allegations regarding Person A having alleged sexual contact with Child B, and Person A was still visiting the athletic facilities as late as last week, he deserves to be fired with shame. And these ****ing idiots saying he should have been able to go out on his own accord -- SURE, HE SHOULD HAVE RESIGNED TODAY.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #233
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Is McQueary canned as well?
No. They said that they have not decided his status. I think we're going to find he's covered under the whistle blower laws. But I doubt he says after this season.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #234
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

Quote:
No. They said that they have not decided his status. I think we're going to find he's covered under the whistle blower laws. But I doubt he says after this season.
And good luck getting another job. Dumb ****.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #235
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

All of the people who knew about the rape and did not report it to police IMO should be held accountable. Outrageous behavior and he not only deserves to be fired, but should lose his whole pension and go to prison for it. When you cover up a child rape you are guilty of rape as well IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #236
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Now JoPa has unwittingly brought MORE disgrace upon the University (student riots) by not stepping down IMMEDIATELY. (Maybe there were some legal culpability issues in doing so, I don't know.)

Seems like he chose UNWISELY yet again. Am ashamed of him but glad the Board had the cajones to can him IMMEDIATELY.

JoPA should have admited a failure of leadership on his watch, expressed deep horror and remorse and stepped down immediately.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #237
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Ironic...
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #238
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #239
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

Everyone is different. People will respond to shock how they are wired and it just depends on how you view this particular event. I have had a lot of trauma in my own life and I can only state how I would react. I have serious justice issues I would have stopped it and probably have assaulted the guy in the process. I would have made sure he went to prison by testifying against him too.

However, eventually shock wears off and then reality sets in. It's what McQueary did after the shock wore off that is concerning to me. He went Loyalty because that was more important than justice to him. That is the main issue to me.

If my buddy has a weapon at work, I am not going to call the boss and ask him to report it to authorities and take care of it. That is totally passing the buck and not being personally responsible. I am calling 911 and making sure he does not use the weapon until they get there. Why are the standards of these men so LOW? It kills me how selfish and irresponsible the men in this program with HONOR actually were when they needed Honor! Honor does not show up in good times, it shows up when the chips are down.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #240
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

What do you mean? This situation all started by one of the victims coming forward and has nothing to do with McQueary. He didn't do any whistle blowing.

Last edited by BroncosSR; 11-10-2011 at 06:08 AM..
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #241
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
What do you mean? This situation all started by one of the victims coming forward and has nothing to do with McQueary. He did no whistle blowing.
Look, i know I quoted it - so i don't know how you missed it:

Quote:

So, i find it ironic that an individual could be considered protected under the whistleblower status, when he didn't really do anything (well, minus him "following internal protocol, and his daddy).

Apologies for being concise.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #242
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
What do you mean? This situation all started by one of the victims coming forward and has nothing to do with McQueary. He did no whistle blowing.
Legally he is protected, just like Paterno by reporting it to his superiors. He did report the event on the record. He did just enough. Just like so many men would today.

However, the injustice is not that he did the bare minimums to protect himself, its that he did not report it to the police himself like he should have. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life and he will always be the man who did not "man up" when he had his chance. I could not live that way. I would be wrecked if I did nothing to save that kid and the others that would follow.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #243
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Look, i know I quoted it - so i don't know how you missed it:

So, i find it ironic that an individual could be considered protected under the whistleblower status, when he didn't really do anything (well, minus him "following internal protocol, and his daddy).

Apologies for being concise.
I think the University needs to be sure they can legally let him go.

They've lost institutional control, the are about to crawled over by the DOE, FBI, and the NCAA. They need to proceed cautiously. Anyone who had any notion of Paterno coaching this weekend was fooling themselves.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 11-10-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #244
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
He was a GA, so he was what, 22 or 23 at the time? I'm guessing seeing something like that probably ranks up there with seeing someone murdered, that's not something you'd ever expect to see and was in shock.

People legitimately witness this stuff and even after time still aren't completely sure what they exactly saw and still can't believe what they walked in on. It's not a defense of him or what he did, but it happens. Some people just react differently.

His father is the one that I don't understand. We all made mistakes when we were in our early 20's (probably no where near that magnitude), but I can't believe that the guy's father never thought to report this to police. He's the one that should know better.
This is a fair point. One of my friends was shot and killed in front of me when I was 23. I of course ran, but you know, I didn't have a gun to shoot back with. And I do speak now from the perspective of being a father.

Still, I find it difficult to understand how he could have just went and called dad. If I were not capable of beating said rapists skull in, then the first phone call I make is the police.

Now I understand that ALL of this could have been prevented in 1998 when Sandusky was first caught doing inappropriate things but the Department of Public Welfare did not press charges even though they found him guilty of SHOWERING with an 11 year old boy and hugging him.

This is the first and most grievous failure in my opinion. In a long list of consecutive failures, this was the most egregious. Sandusky should have been charged with some sort of felony for that event and thus prevented from being around children in The Second Mile and forbidden access to the University. But because the Department of Public Welfare in 1998 decided NOT to pursue criminal charges, this ****ing sick pervert was allowed to continue being a sick pervert. He was not banned from the University and was not immediately fired from The Second Mile.

The justice system failed us in 1998 which led to a series of very poorly crafted decisions by a great many people.

Joe Paterno made a costly and fateful mistake. He deserves this punishment he received. I am still saddened though, not because of his glaring mistake, but because an icon many of us grew up admiring for his integrity and his moral high ground, has fallen due to a loss of that integrity and moral high ground.

And all this discussion about who to blame and where the fault truly lies are overlooking the true villain here. Sandusky has a spot reserved for him in the deepest recesses of hell.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #245
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Too bad it's the kids that get lost in all of this. Just like the Catholic church. I still can't believe Paterno did what he did. Or didn't do, I guess is the way to put it. He probably deserves a harsher penalty than just being fired. So does McQueary, who I guess is suffering no penalty at all.

It's a lesson to us all in America: Stand up against injustice no matter the cost and you won't have to spend years playing cover your ass. What's the old saying? A brave man dies only once, but a coward dies a thousand deaths.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #246
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Girlfriend brought up a decent point yesterday. She used to work child abuse cases with some of the more disturbing stuff you've ever heard of (a lady pouring ketchup in her kids butt to try and claim her landlord was molesting her son, etc) and she says usually the older generation (70+) generally refuses to believe it. They just come from a time where people weren't on the lookout for things like that and even when confronted with it (that say, their kids were molesting their grand kids or something along those lines) that often times they just don't believe that could happen.

Either way, I'm EXTREMELY saddened and disgusted by this entire thing.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #247
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I think the University needs to be sure they can legally let him go.

They've lost institutional control, the are about to crawled over by the DOE, FBI, and the NCAA. They need to proceed cautiously. Anyone who had any notion of Paterno coaching this weekend was fooling themselves.
Totally agreed there. Since this is only about 1hr ish from me - it's all over the local papers & radio (sports & talk).

http://www.whp580.com/

afternoon show and morning shows are the local (the rest is purchased content).
Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #248
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Damn, a couple PSU alums I know are saying a solid rumor is going around Sandusky was pimping out kids to rich donors!

WTF?

Apparently, this is on the deep down low...
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #249
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

imo this guy has it right. It's a culture, and even jr high and high school programs have it to one degree or another. A team is family and you never rat out your family because the family is bigger and more important than any individual.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/article1200905.ece

women get assaulted in dorms all the time. Rapesburger acted like he did because he could get away with it. Sociopaths make up over 10% of the population, most likely. The team concept is that the coach is like God. He acts in the best interest of the team. Some coaches, the best ones, are like teachers. Winning is about producing people who will be good citizens. Others are about winning games and satisfying alumni who give money.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #250
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Damn, a couple PSU alums I know are saying a solid rumor is going around Sandusky was pimping out kids to rich donors!

WTF?

Apparently, this is on the deep down low...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...tery.html?_r=1

This is also a blast from another incident involving "pimping kids to rich donors":

http://franklinscandal.com/franklins...boystown2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankli...ng_allegations

Last edited by alkemical; 11-10-2011 at 07:34 AM..