The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default Fox: Tebow will keep getting better

espn.com front page article...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/71...-john-fox-says



Better at what, I say? Better at becoming a prototypical pocket passer?

Probably not going to happen. Tebow might improve a little, in pocket passing, based on what we saw Sunday, but he won't improve enough to satisfy the image of being a decent prototypical pocket passer.

But..... when Fox says "Tebow will keep getting better", does Fox mean that they are actually fully committed to exploiting Tebow's strengths in giving the Broncos the best chance to win? If so, then I am thoroughly encouraged.

I really wonder what Fox means by that statement.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I wouldn't count Tebow out so quick as a pocket passer. This is his fourth game with the worst prep imaginable because of King Neckbeard's elite status and delicate psyche.....

Remember having no OTAs and changing Tebow's fundamentals so much AND forcing him into the pro style offense is a ton to take.. and to lose your best receiver because he is a prima donna..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,441

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

My guess is he meant that he would get better at not holding the ball way way way too long. That he would get better at stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball with less air underneath it, and better at keeping his eyes down field as he goes through his progressions. Not necessary OMG make Tebow a pocket passer, but the basics that Tebow needs to improve on to be a successful NFL quarterback.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Abqbronco
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 362
Default

I think he meant we will get better at playing quarterback but I am probably reading way too much into that statement.
Abqbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,222

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
espn.com front page article...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/71...-john-fox-says



Better at what, I say? Better at becoming a prototypical pocket passer?

Probably not going to happen. Tebow might improve a little, in pocket passing, based on what we saw Sunday, but he won't improve enough to satisfy the image of being a decent prototypical pocket passer.

But..... when Fox says "Tebow will keep getting better", does Fox mean that they are actually fully committed to exploiting Tebow's strengths in giving the Broncos the best chance to win? If so, then I am thoroughly encouraged.

I really wonder what Fox means by that statement.
Your reading way to into this. Maybe he flat out means Tim will get better with experience??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,402

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
"I liked the last 5 minutes more than the first 55," Fox said Monday.
Well, there is something to this since it seems to happen every game with Tebow. It's Fox's job to figure out why and fix it.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
smoke4815162342
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Why is it so many people assuming Tebow can't get better, but they give that to every other young QB? I'm very pleased with my decision to quit pay attention to all those so called experts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

I think he means (and I think this is the most realistic hope we can have for Tebow as a passer) is that he will get more comfortable in the pocket/think less about his throws.

Yeah, that will have to include some improvement in his footwork and throwing motion. But even if he can't polish those areas of his technique perfectly, he can still take a huge step by just not playing so frantic.

When he's sailing the ball 20 yds past wide open guys it isn't because he can't accurately hit an open receiver (we've seen in the late game drill with less pressure coming that he can calmly hit open targets). It's almost like he's so mentally focused on getting the ball away to the open target before a defender can hit him that he chucks the ball rather than targets it.

After yesterday I'm certainly more skeptical of his future as a passer than I was before. But I do think worries that he will always be sailing 3-4 balls a game just because of poor technique are going to be unfounded. Like any young QB the big step is going to be when/if all the routes and throws become instinct and not the result of a frantic choice between "tuck & run vs. get the ball out of here".
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,840
Default

I've been critical of the guy, and I think he needs to be able to be successful from the pocket. The NFL defense are too good, and they will keep him there if that's the achilles heel.

That said....it looks to be at least a big part of an experience thing. The wide open miss to Fells for example. He was not confident in that read and it showed when he threw it....like he almost wanted it back. In time he will throw that with confidence. When he stopped thinking...he was accurate. He's like most young players....needs it to be second nature again.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
DarkHorse
RPM Racer
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 4,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley
Default

Fox looks constipated any time a Tebow question comes up that he has to address.

His entire body language and demeanor is negative when those questions arise - the guy doesn't seem to be on board at all. That's what I see from him at least.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,390

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

If you go down to the third video on that page they have a question that they ask the public to respond to: What do Tebow and Lebron James have in common.

A listener responded with, "Both are responsible for Miami losing in the fourth quarter."

brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,848
Default

h?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,397

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

At least this thread is better than Vine's Pledge of Alligiance thread of Tebow. For some reason, I am not sure why the 100 post rule is not used and if it ever would be, we need to make it 500 since Tebowites post 20 times a day.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
espn.com front page article...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/71...-john-fox-says



Better at what, I say? Better at becoming a prototypical pocket passer?

Probably not going to happen. Tebow might improve a little, in pocket passing, based on what we saw Sunday, but he won't improve enough to satisfy the image of being a decent prototypical pocket passer.

But..... when Fox says "Tebow will keep getting better", does Fox mean that they are actually fully committed to exploiting Tebow's strengths in giving the Broncos the best chance to win? If so, then I am thoroughly encouraged.

I really wonder what Fox means by that statement.
Better at throwing? Better at making decisions? Better at checking down to the 2nd or 3rd option? There's a lot there. I have faith that he can be successful, but it's laughable to think that Tebow doesn't have room to improve...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,221
Default

Well I don't think he could get much worse so yea I can see him keep getting better
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It is really incredible when you think about it...

Tebow is getting trashed because of John Fox's offensive ineptitude..

And Cam Newton is getting canonized because of Fox's offensive ineptitude. If Fox hadn't made the Panthers O look so bad cam wouldn't be getting the credit for supposedly creating all of it..

John Fox is the problem..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It is also odd how young QB's are typically given the benefit of the doubt to get better and improve, but some do not give Tebow that benefit. Which just screams of rooting against him for whatever reason, no matter how stupid a reason I might add that I have seen around here.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abqbronco View Post
I think he meant we will get better at playing quarterback but I am probably reading way too much into that statement.
This is funny.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
It is really incredible when you think about it...

Tebow is getting trashed because of John Fox's offensive ineptitude..

And Cam Newton is getting canonized because of Fox's offensive ineptitude. If Fox hadn't made the Panthers O look so bad cam wouldn't be getting the credit for supposedly creating all of it..

John Fox is the problem..
This line of thinking has been noted and understood. Please stop including it in every single post you make.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
It is also odd how young QB's are typically given the benefit of the doubt to get better and improve, but some do not give Tebow that benefit. Which just screams of rooting against him for whatever reason, no matter how stupid a reason I might add that I have seen around here.
I don't think it screams of rooting against him at all. If anything, it's just extremely (possibly unrealistically) high expectations. I also get the feeling that Tebow doesn't have a problem with it, is accustomed to it by now and probably even enjoys it.

Didn't he request that McDaniels push him to greatness or something when he was drafted? I think Tebow feeds off of that kinda thing, and being reminded that he played like crap and needs to improve is welcomed and expected.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
This line of thinking has been noted and understood. Please stop including it in every single post you make.
The key is finding the best way of illustrating that line of thinking though... You aren't noticing the variation on the theme..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I don't think it screams of rooting against him at all. If anything, it's just extremely (possibly unrealistically) high expectations. I also get the feeling that Tebow doesn't have a problem with it, is accustomed to it by now and probably even enjoys it.

Didn't he request that McDaniels push him to greatness or something when he was drafted? I think Tebow feeds off of that kinda thing, and being reminded that he played like crap and needs to improve is welcomed and expected.
Hasn't THIS point been made enough?

You claim i am being repetitive then repeatsomething said non stop since the game was played..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
The key is finding the best way of illustrating that line of thinking though... You aren't noticing the variation on the theme..
It's not a theme; it's an opinion, and you're doing a great job of illustrating your belief in it. It's enough already, though. Overkill.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Hasn't THIS point been made enough?

You claim i am being repetitive then repeatsomething said non stop since the game was played..
Maybe? I don't know, I don't spend all day here cruising threads looking for ways to blame Tebow's shortcomings on others. If it's been said before then I agree with whoever said it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Denver Broncos