The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,390
Default elongated throwing motion

elongated throwing motion
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

He's got to do something about that. He drops that ball below his waist.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

1000 post rule
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,126
Default

Sorry didn't notice I was too happy uh duh winning!
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,056
Default

On the radio this morning, local talking heads were discussing the fact that a couple of times during the Game, the Dolphins used a delayed Safety Blitz due to the fact that they felt the safety would have enough to time to shoot the gap. I'm not saying that Tebow needs to change his throwing motion. But he needs to get quicker with his reads and his decision making.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

I've never really understood all the attention.

It isn't any more elongated than Leftwich's motion, and he was a first round pick and starter in this league for years. Randall Cunningham had a pretty long release, so does Kerry Collins (just guys off the top of my head)

Elway patted the ball which made his release 'slower' than ideal. He seemed to do OK.

Tebow needs more footwork coaching than anything. And I'm not saying he can't improve on the release point, but it's crazy how these ESPN types want to harp on that and give people like Rivers a pass (he of the far-from-classical throwing motion)
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
1000 post rule
you have an elongated typing motion
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,390
Default

i have an elongated fapping motion
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
you have an elongated typing motion
You have a dumbed down posting playbook.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Tebow needs more footwork coaching than anything. And I'm not saying he can't improve on the release point, but it's crazy how these ESPN types want to harp on that and give people like Rivers a pass (he of the far-from-classical throwing motion)
Completely agree. I can deal with his throwing motion. If he can speed up his read progression and decision making, it will largely solve the problems associated with his long wind-up.

But his footwork has to improve. It seemed like a lot of his down field passes we just really badly off. Then on the replay it would show that his feet were all over the place. He needs to focus on improving his lower body mechanics.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
I've never really understood all the attention.

It isn't any more elongated than Leftwich's motion, and he was a first round pick and starter in this league for years. Randall Cunningham had a pretty long release, so does Kerry Collins (just guys off the top of my head)

Elway patted the ball which made his release 'slower' than ideal. He seemed to do OK.

Tebow needs more footwork coaching than anything. And I'm not saying he can't improve on the release point, but it's crazy how these ESPN types want to harp on that and give people like Rivers a pass (he of the far-from-classical throwing motion)
Leftwich was a bust. Collins was a journeyman, really no better than Orton when you consider all the factors.

Elway patted the ball, but when it was time to throw, that ball got out quickly. Same with Rivers; it's a weird motion but the ball gets out quickly, with an economy of effort.

I agree with you about footwork being the most important thing, but I'd like to see the throwing motion Tebow worked on prior to the draft. It was shorter, quicker release.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,425

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Yeah, it's clearly an issue. He'd take a lot less sacks if he could get the ball out quicker. It seems like he's hesitant to throw some passes that he could complete if his motion wasn't so slow.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Tebow needs more footwork coaching than anything. And I'm not saying he can't improve on the release point, but it's crazy how these ESPN types want to harp on that and give people like Rivers a pass (he of the far-from-classical throwing motion)
yeah, I was just going to mention that.

FYI, Elway's little ball tap then release is still faster than Cutler.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
FISH
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
You have a dumbed down posting playbook.
Are you kidding me?!?! That is ridiculous...I never even got a playbook..
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Collins was a journeyman, really no better than Orton
Except for the 2 Pro Bowl appearances, the 4 playoff appearances, about 130 NFL games...

Can't you participate in a single thread without bringing up Orton?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,256

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

What he needs is game reps. You can't teach that stuff in practice and then expect it to stick in a game situation. Dude is bailing on the pocket too quickly and this has to be learned in-game, it can't be taught in a film session or practice.

If I'm Elway, I call Steve Young and offer to pay him a buttload to tutor Tebow intensely and then turn the guy loose on gameday. If he says no, I guess plan B is Todd Marinovich.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Except for the 2 Pro Bowl appearances, the 4 playoff appearances, about 130 NFL games...

Can't you participate in a single thread without bringing up Orton?
So a Collins-level player is really what Tebow can and should be aiming for?

Aim high.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Actually, according to Merril Hoge, it's not an elongated throwing motion, but a "long-gated" throwing motion.

Seriously, he just said "long-gated" 5 times on Espin.

I don't think the throwing motion has anything to do with the safety getting to him, or theDolphins calling that blitz because of the throwing motion. I think it has more to do with Tebow (and less so the OL) needing better recognition of what's going on, and the defense attacking a young QB.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
So a Collins-level player is really what Tebow can and should be aiming for?

Aim high.
He didn't mention Tebow at all. He was simply calling your retarded comparison of Collins to Orton, well, retarded.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It's not a problem at all with Rivers though because while his delivery is very unusual, it's really fast. People who worry about Tebow's motion don't do it because it looks funny, they do it because a slower throwing motion is less effective than a fast one.

His motion takes much longer than most QB's to complete, which gives rushers more time to get to him and allows DB's extra time to see the pass is about to be thrown and make a break on the ball.

It doesn't mean he can't succeed, but to say it's not a negative against him isn't true either, and if he can find a way to shorten it that will only be a good thing for his development.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
So a Collins-level player is really what Tebow can and should be aiming for?

Aim high.
Deflection and red herring. I am not surprised.

Collins has played in 195 regular season NFL games and 7 playoff games. Tebow would be fortunate to put up such numbers.

My point was that Hoge and his band of ESPN morons have no problems with Collins slow release, or any of the other quarterbacks who have less-than-ideal throwing motions. Tebow needs to improve all aspects of his game. The media is fixated on the way he releases the ball for some reason.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
It's not a problem at all with Rivers though because while his delivery is very unusual, it's really fast. People who worry about Tebow's motion don't do it because it looks funny, they do it because a slower throwing motion is less effective than a fast one.

His motion takes much longer than most QB's to complete, which gives rushers more time to get to him and allows DB's extra time to see the pass is about to be thrown and make a break on the ball.

It doesn't mean he can't succeed, but to say it's not a negative against him isn't true either, and if he can find a way to shorten it that will only be a good thing for his development.
Careful. That kind of honest critique isn't allowed here.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Deflection and red herring. I am not surprised.

Collins has played in 195 regular season NFL games and 7 playoff games. Tebow would be fortunate to put up such numbers.

My point was that Hoge and his band of ESPN morons have no problems with Collins slow release, or any of the other quarterbacks who have less-than-ideal throwing motions. Tebow needs to improve all aspects of his game. The media is fixated on the way he releases the ball for some reason.
And I mentioned his footwork -- ACTUALLY AGREEING WITH YOU IN THE PROCESS -- in my post, yet you pull out the Collins comparison to try and make a point that has nothing to do with the thread?

You're neat. I bet your mom tells you all the time.

As for ESPN not having a problem with Collins' release... Well, Hoge didn't work for ESPN when Collins was a second year player. Maybe that's the problem? Possibly?

If it isn't a problem, why did Tebow work on rectifying it before the draft? Hmmmm.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
in my post, yet you pull out the Collins comparison to try and make a point that has nothing to do with the thread?
I'll give you a chance to correct yourself - read post #11.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #25
AlphaSeirra
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
elongated throwing motion
AMAZING how EFFECTIVE it is, puts Tim in the Top 10 in the NFL just ahead of Romo.

A few selected Current 2011 NFL Pass Efficiency Ratings:

5. Matt Schaub 96.8
6. Matt Stafford - 95.5
9. Alex Smith - 95.2 (Meyer S/O QB that has been called a 1st rnd bust)

Not yet listed: Tim Tebow - 94.4 <<< (Meyer S/O QB that some claimed should be a 3-4 rd pick)

10. Tony Romo - 93.4
13. Michael Vick - 84.4
16. Jay Cutler - 84.0
19. Scam Newton - 82.8
20 Philip Rivers - 82.3

27. Kyle Orton - 75.7 (they only list one QB per team)
28. Colt McCoy - 75.4
30. Sam Bradford - 72.2 <<< #1 Pick over Tebow in 2010 and a 'Can't Miss' QB, supposedly.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brunell Practiced Throwing Wet Football meangene Orange Mane Central Discussion 29 11-02-2011 07:27 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Denver Broncos