The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Play-calling

Never mind the fact that we won the game, right? The play-calling sucked fire has started and the more people repeat it, the more other people believe it.

I'm just curious... question for all of you forum coaching experts around here: how exactly would you have game-planned for a QB that couldn't hit the side of a barn for 55 minutes of a game?

We played out of the shotgun most of the day. (His comfort zone.)

We ran him plenty.

Our running game was productive.

We designed screens, dump-passes, short sideline routes, etc.

When he DID have open receivers, he missed them by a mile.

Oh, and before you answer... let's factor in the reality that Miami was crowding the line most of the day, sending multiple blitzes at him that he clearly was not experienced enough to understand or handle.

This isn't Tebow-bashing, either. I love the kid. I have no idea if he's a real answer long-term. None of us do. But, he was terrible for 55 minutes today.
I'd love to hear why the play-calling was so bad, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Most of the time, when **** works... people assume play-calling was good. When it doesn't, they assume execution has nothing to do with it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
DrFate
Lord of Order

How many pass attempts in the first half?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Here's my only beef with the play calling:

In that last 5 minutes, we found an offensive set/plays/etc that worked for us. We moved the ball and scored. In OT, we reverted right back to the first 55 minutes of the game. Run, run, 3rd and long, punt.

I agree with much of what you said about the first 55 minutes. I don't have a problem protecting our young QB, being pretty conservative, pounding the ball. Plus Tebow wasn't making good passes as it was, like you said.

But after seeing a number of plays that were working positively, I think they should have kept that going in OT. I feel like I have an issue with a lack of in-game adjusting rather than play calling.

Last edited by RhymesayersDU; 10-23-2011 at 04:43 PM..
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Five. Eight counting sacks. Maybe one or two more where he avoided the sack and pulled a nice run out of thin air.

Also, we had two drives in the first half where we ran it five times in a row.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Never mind the fact that we won the game, right? The play-calling sucked fire has started and the more people repeat it, the more other people believe it.

I'm just curious... question for all of you forum coaching experts around here: how exactly would you have game-planned for a QB that couldn't hit the side of a barn for 55 minutes of a game?

We ran him plenty.

Oh, and before you answer... let's factor in the reality that Miami was crowding the line most of the day, sending multiple blitzes at him that he clearly was not experienced enough to understand or handle.

This isn't Tebow-bashing, either. I love the kid. I have no idea if he's a real answer long-term. None of us do. But, he was terrible for 55 minutes today.
I'd love to hear why the play-calling was so bad, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Most of the time, when **** works... people assume play-calling was good. When it doesn't, they assume execution has nothing to do with it.
Missed open receivers? Just how many more than any other QB?

Any slant patterns by receivers? Seemed to me more pass patterns designed for Tebow to hold and wait for deeper type of routes and if not open or apparently refusing to throw to wide open guys, then stuck with running or taking a sack.

I basically saw the same offense when Orton was the QB minus the designed QB draws of course.

Last edited by barryr; 10-23-2011 at 04:45 PM..
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Five. Eight counting sacks.

Also, we had to drives in the first half where we ran it five times in a row.
Exactly. Any discussion regarding the play-calling begins and ends with that number. How many did he complete?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Exactly. Any discussion regarding the play-calling begins and ends with that number. How many did he complete?
Yet it is stated by some his missed a bunch of open receivers, which he did while handing the ball off too?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
KO5K

I don't know why McCoy wasn't calling screen passes, they would of been easy completions/big gains in that game. We called one, that's it.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

tebow was as terrible as the playcalling....this one reminded me of last years oakland game
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I am really going to cut tebow some slack today it looked like nerves were a big issue with his pass game as far as the run game was concerned sure it was working but it seemed they ran one to many times on 3rd down conversions forcing punts (just my opinion) flame away.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He was 3/5 to start. Except for the Moreno throw and the one over Fells' head I don't remember any other terrible throws. There were a few close misses (defender in his face on the Decker throw for example), a drop or two, a throw away or two, and a miscommunication (I'm assuming) but I don't remember any ugly throws other than those two mentioned.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
I am really going to cut tebow some slack today it looked like nerves were a big issue with his pass game as far as the run game was concerned sure it was working but it seemed they ran one to many times on 3rd down conversions forcing punts (just my opinion) flame away.
How dare you have an opinion or go on record with something that everyone was thinking!

Personally I didn't bash the play calling because when Timmy was given a pass play he wasn't executing. I bet had he completed more passes in the 1st half and if the run game wasn't clicking they would have called more passes.

Execution won the game, once TIm started completing passes downfield we started scoring. Lack of execution put us in the hole we had to climb out of.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
MVPlaya II - Electric Boogaloo

Quote:

We ran him plenty.

Are you serious?

Where were the crossing routes? Where we the quick read routes (the routes where you read the depth of the CB)?

Any OC in the league can draw up some plays for ANY QB to completely short passes when you had a running game going like ours.

You're sitting here saying, what would you have done, but did you completely miss the last 5 minutes of the game? How about calling some of those plays?

They never gave him a chance to catch rhythm or complete some easy routes to get his confidence going.

Honestly, if you can't see it was the play calling you'd have to be nuts.

Next week, we aren't doing this **** against I guarantee you... so Popps if you honestly believe there is nothing wrong then you ought to think next weeks game plan will be similar.

Don't speak until then.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
How dare you have an opinion or go on record with something that everyone was thinking!

Personally I didn't bash the play calling because when Timmy was given a pass play he wasn't executing. I bet had he completed more passes in the 1st half and if the run game wasn't clicking they would have called more passes.

Execution won the game, once TIm started completing passes downfield we started scoring. Lack of execution put us in the hole we had to climb out of.
This is the same guy that says he'd rather start off without the football to start OT, when the objective is to score 1st.

We got some of the dumbest football minded people on here.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

It would be cool if the offensive line didn't decide they could take the day off because they have a QB that can actually move in the pocket.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'd say that Tebow was terrible in the third quarter and half of the fourth. He didn't get enough opportunities in the first half to be horrible. They ran the ball too much. I think the offense should be slightly more run than pass, especially with a young QB who is a project, but that was damn near all running. Way too unbalanced and it produced nothing. I could understand if they had a great running game. But with what they have, they aren't going to be able to maintain long drives with mostly running plays.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by command like a KING View Post
Are you serious?

Where were the crossing routes? Where we the quick read routes (the routes where you read the depth of the CB)?

Any OC in the league can draw up some plays for ANY QB to completely short passes when you had a running game going like ours.

You're sitting here saying, what would you have done, but did you completely miss the last 5 minutes of the game? How about calling some of those plays?

They never gave him a chance to catch rhythm or complete some easy routes to get his confidence going.

Honestly, if you can't see it was the play calling you'd have to be nuts.

Next week, we aren't doing this **** against I guarantee you... so Popps if you honestly believe there is nothing wrong then you ought to think next weeks game plan will be similar.

Don't speak until then.
True, I mentioned slant patterns myself and did we see much there? Those are usually good to start a game if the DB's play back and offer cushions.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I bet had he completed more passes in the 1st half
He was 3 of 5. If he threw the two completely out of the stadium, I don't see how 'he was inaccurate and that justifies the playcalling' argument makes sense.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Regardless of what the QB is doing I don't think it is ever reasonable to be at a pass count of 14 with 55 minutes of the game already played. If he's off then you run plays to get him in a rhythm. You don't abandon the pass entirely. Half of the pass attempts should never come in the last five minutes (9 of 13 in those 5 minutes though).
Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
How many completions in the game?

Let's not just talk about the first half, or if we are... how did he look throwing in the first half?

When a QB is throwing like he's never set eyes on a football before... you'd advocate having him throw more?

Just trying to get it straight.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

We ran him plenty.

Good argument. Good luck with it on this site. The blinders are on and the narrative is already running down the track.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by command like a KING View Post
Are you serious?

Where were the crossing routes?
Crossing routes? You mean those routes that require timing?

Did you see where his throws ended up?

So, your answer is that if a QB is starting off inaccurate (and apparently isn't accurate in practice) .... you'd advocate having him throw MORE, and having him throw timing patterns?

Someone get the front office on the phone.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #23

The DBs were playing with some huge cushions throughout the game, did you even see one attempt at a short slant or a read route?

The 1st one was when DT dropped the ball with a thud. What quarter was that in?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #24
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
How many completions in the game?

Let's not just talk about the first half, or if we are... how did he look throwing in the first half?

When a QB is throwing like he's never set eyes on a football before... you'd advocate having him throw more?

Just trying to get it straight.
He started 3 of 5. Please, explain to me in what world that screams out so terrible that you only throw the ball another 9 times until the game is nearly over?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Crossing routes? You mean those routes that require timing?

Did you see where his throws ended up?

So, your answer is that if a QB is starting off inaccurate (and apparently isn't accurate in practice) .... you'd advocate having him throw MORE, and having him throw timing patterns?

Someone get the front office on the phone.
I mean the crossing routes that he completed in the final minutes of the game.

Yeah, those.