The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default Eric Liddell and Tim Tebow



"God made me for a purpose, and He ALSO made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure." - A quote attributed to Eric Liddell in the movie "Chariots of Fire", which was based on his life.

1 Samuel 2:30 : "Those who honor me I will honor" - This message was slipped to great Scottish sprinter and devout Christian, son of missionaries and missionary himself, Eric Liddell immediately before he won the 400 meter race at the Paris Olympics in 1924. Liddell was a heavy underdog and famously won the gold after being inspired by the Bible verse and hearing his country's bagpipe music playing outside the stadium.

Liddell was criticized by coaches and sprinters alike for his unorthodox running style and was given little chance to win the 400 meters.

Liddell gripped onto the 1 Samuel verse given him by an American team masseuse throughout the whole race. He won.

Tebow begins his term as Broncos QB this Sunday in Miami's Sun Life stadium, where he won his state championship and his national championship. He will be celebrated with the rest of his Florida teammates as UF fans fill the stadium. "Those who honor me I will honor". Expect a big game from #15 on Sunday.

Last edited by epicSocialism4tw; 10-22-2011 at 01:28 AM..
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Maximus
The Razor!
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Public Enemy #1

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 5,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post


"God made me for a purpose, and He ALSO made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure." - A quote attributed to Eric Liddell in the movie "Chariots of Fire", which was based on his life.

1 Samuel 2:30 : "Those who honor me I will honor" - This message was slipped to great Scottish sprinter and devout Christian, son of missionaries and missionary himself, Eric Liddell immediately before he won the 400 meter race at the Paris Olympics in 1924. Liddell was a heavy underdog and famously won the gold after being inspired by the Bible verse and hearing his country's bagpipe music playing outside the stadium.

Liddell was criticized by coaches and sprinters alike for his unorthodox running style and was given little chance to win the 400 meters.

Liddell gripped onto the 1 Samuel verse given him by an American team masseuse throughout the whole race. He won.

Tebow begins his term as Broncos QB this Sunday in Miami's Sun Life stadium, where he won his state championship and his national championship. He will be celebrated with the rest of his Florida teammates as UF fans fill the stadium. "Those who honor me I will honor". Expect a big game from #15 on Sunday.
That must have been Teblows who fell down short... like The Frozen One in the Fourth Quarter!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

That recent article making a strong comparison between Liddell and Tebow has me wanting to watch Chariots of Fire again.

I was very disappointed as a wee lad. I was starting to become a movie connisseur because I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark ( still an all time fav). It was nominated for Best Picture that year, and lost to Chariots of Fire. So me and my Dad thought "Well, the Academy clearly has taste, because of the ROTLA nomination, so maybe we need to see the movie that beat it."

It was way more boring than you would expect. Snooze city for a 12 year old.

But maybe it was good. I haven't seen it since the theater first run.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Chariots of Fire on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evj7a...eature=related
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,976

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
because I loved Raiders
You said it, not me.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
You said it, not me.


Nice.

Maximus missed out on that one. You're wittier than a Raiders fan.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,660

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
That recent article making a strong comparison between Liddell and Tebow has me wanting to watch Chariots of Fire again.

I was very disappointed as a wee lad. I was starting to become a movie connisseur because I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark ( still an all time fav). It was nominated for Best Picture that year, and lost to Chariots of Fire. So me and my Dad thought "Well, the Academy clearly has taste, because of the ROTLA nomination, so maybe we need to see the movie that beat it."

It was way more boring than you would expect. Snooze city for a 12 year old.

But maybe it was good. I haven't seen it since the theater first run.
I think I was 8 when it came out, I remember seeing it and being quite bored as well. I actually saw it within the last year again, and really loved it. It's not a movie for kids, I think you have to be 30+ to enjoy it.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Ranger24
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post


You're wittier than a Raiders fan.

Not hard... Not hard at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
TerrElway
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 579
Default

I've run on that beach but the music wasn't playing and it wasn't in slow motion.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
The original Chariot rider was a mexican fellow named...
Ben Hur...Ben Hurnandez
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,196

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Not sure if you got your Eric Liddell reference from this article....but anyway, I thought this was a GREAT read......



Time to believe in Tebow's passion

Jen Floyd Engel
Updated Oct 20, 2011 5:23 PM ET

From: Jen Floyd Engel
To: Jason Whitlock, FOXSports.com columnist
Cc: John Fox, John Elway, Doubting Sports Thomases Everywhere

Whitlock, I hate to come at you at a time like this when you must be hurting, your favorite current NFL quarterback, Donovan McNabb, benched again. This time for an unproven rookie, Christian Ponder, because what your man was throwing out made the Vikings abandon their playoff hopes a little more than a month into the season. Go figure. McNabb is the only quarterback in the history of ever who made Rex Grossman look like an upgrade.

Sorry. I need you to stop mourning McNabb’s failed career for a second and answer a question that has been gnawing at me ever since you gleefully joined the non-believers dissing Tim Tebow: Why? Why do you — the last remaining holdout in the Jeff George fan club — refuse to concede the league might be wrong about Tim Tebow?

You believe in hopeless causes, Jeff George and Donovan McNabb. Why not believe in the man who inspires hope in Denver and in sports fans who like their stars warm and fuzzy?

You knew I would be pissed. You called me out in your column.

Mel Kiper, Jimmy Johnson, Merril Hoge, the 24 NFL teams that passed on Tebow in the first round of the draft — really everybody in the NFL not named former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels — predicted epic fail for this guy.

You know what all of those people have in common?

They are wrong all the time about players. They dissect how a guy throws, how far he throws, what he looks like, what his throwing motion looks like, how fast he runs, how much he runs, what he looks like when he runs, his stats, his combine numbers and they forget how often these numbers are wrong, how often the can’t-miss guys do and how the Wes Welkers keep finding their way into prominence.

I do not know if Tebow is going to be a great quarterback.

What I do know is I am not willing to bet against him. He’s a winner. He’s inspiring. He has it, whatever it is. He played 10 days ago — his first NFL game action of 2011 — and he actually had the Denver Broncos looking like a team. It was not simply fist-pumping and underdog sentimentality that he brought. He moved the chains. The Broncos scored points with him on the field. He scored.

He earned Sunday’s start in Miami. Yet when Tony Dungy rightly praised Tebow, you dismissed it as catching “Tebow religion” and criticized us Tebow believers for believing “whatever the last entertaining thing we saw on the boob tube is infinitely better than whatever we saw before.”

Two types of opinions exist with regards to Tebow:

1) OK, start him because really, what does Denver have to lose? This hints at Tebow being awful with just enough bet hedging in case he really does have God on his side. Or, 2) He is going to fail because he’s not good. They believe so fervently in his failure they cannot accept anything to the contrary.

Arguing with this is impossible. The best argument is made by "Chariots of Fire."

Best sports movie ever, by the way. Better than "Rudy," "Hoosiers," "Rocky," "Bull Durham." It is my "Wire," in terms of loyalty.

"Chariots of Fire" is the story of the British Olympic track team leading up to the 1924 games, and more specifically, Scottish runner Eric Liddell — a very principled man of God and astonishingly fast sprinter with a lot of doubters.

Sound familiar?

Circumstances prevented him from running his usual 100-yard dash. He is in the 400. And just before the race, the American coach goes all Merril Hoge on him. He basically tells his runners not to worry about Liddell because the dude is not good enough. And now here is the part every single Tebow doubter needs to hear, to let sink in so they can understand why Tebow might defy every low expectation for him.

American runner Jackson Scholz: “Watch out for Liddell.”

Other American runner: “Coach says no problem.”

Scholz: “He’s got something to prove, something personal, something guys like coach will never understand in a million years.”

This. This is the thing everybody is missing about Tebow. The guy was not a pretty thrower at Florida, either. He won because he was a great athlete and a massively serious competitor. He won because of the great athletes around him and his ability to lead them. He won because he had guts and toughness. And, yes, he won because of his faith. The two cannot be disconnected. It is part of who he is.

Here’s where you say: “None of that matters in the NFL.”

Hahahaha. Everybody says this and everybody is wrong. McNabb is just the latest proof. Guys with all of the tangibles fail in this league, too. Ask your buddy Jeff George. The super talents fail because they lack lower guts, because they are weak, because they do not work hard enough, because they give up. They fail for hundreds of reasons. God-given ability does not make one a champion, just like having a little less of it does not preclude you from being one. Guys defy expectations all the time in this league.

What I do not understand is why criticism of Tebow always goes so fierce so quickly. Why anybody wouldn’t approach this Sunday with an open mind.

Tebow almost brought his team back, and you criticized the way he did it. You belittled his TD pass, dismissing it as a simple screen. Your column even disrespected his scramble for a score.

Tebow is about to get his first start and predictions he'll fail are flying everywhere. The predictions are tinged with the turning Gatorade into wine jokes and lines about him being a “Savior.” I have my theories on why. Christians are one of the last groups it is totally cool to go all in on.

Christians. And white dudes.

What I am trying to say to you and the doubters is my pastor is right. There is a right side and a wrong side of almost every debate, and I fear for your sports soul that you are coming down on the wrong side of the Tebow one — with the heretics, the mean-spirited and Merril Hoge.

You are listening to the American coach. You need to be listening to Scholz.

Because in men of principle like Tebow, there is something driving them that those without it cannot quite understand and to dismiss its ability to have an impact on whatever field, in whatever game is being played, is naďve.

In "Chariots of Fire," Scholz walked up to Liddell right before the 400 and handed him a piece of paper with a verse from 1 Samuel 2:30: “He who honors Me, I will honor.” Liddell won, of course, grasping the note in his hand the entire way around the track.

He was not the most talented. He was the most driven.

This is why Jeff George failed. And why Tim Tebow might not.

And so in this time of deep sadness for you, I will leave you only with this:

Blessed are those who believe without seeing.


http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/T...-or-not-101911
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,578

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo...Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo...Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo...Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo...

That's still one of my favorite movie soundtrack instrumentals...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Not sure if you got your Eric Liddell reference from this article....but anyway, I thought this was a GREAT read......



Time to believe in Tebow's passion

Jen Floyd Engel
Updated Oct 20, 2011 5:23 PM ET

From: Jen Floyd Engel
To: Jason Whitlock, FOXSports.com columnist
Cc: John Fox, John Elway, Doubting Sports Thomases Everywhere

Whitlock, I hate to come at you at a time like this when you must be hurting, your favorite current NFL quarterback, Donovan McNabb, benched again. This time for an unproven rookie, Christian Ponder, because what your man was throwing out made the Vikings abandon their playoff hopes a little more than a month into the season. Go figure. McNabb is the only quarterback in the history of ever who made Rex Grossman look like an upgrade.

Sorry. I need you to stop mourning McNabb’s failed career for a second and answer a question that has been gnawing at me ever since you gleefully joined the non-believers dissing Tim Tebow: Why? Why do you — the last remaining holdout in the Jeff George fan club — refuse to concede the league might be wrong about Tim Tebow?

You believe in hopeless causes, Jeff George and Donovan McNabb. Why not believe in the man who inspires hope in Denver and in sports fans who like their stars warm and fuzzy?

You knew I would be pissed. You called me out in your column.

Mel Kiper, Jimmy Johnson, Merril Hoge, the 24 NFL teams that passed on Tebow in the first round of the draft — really everybody in the NFL not named former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels — predicted epic fail for this guy.

You know what all of those people have in common?

They are wrong all the time about players. They dissect how a guy throws, how far he throws, what he looks like, what his throwing motion looks like, how fast he runs, how much he runs, what he looks like when he runs, his stats, his combine numbers and they forget how often these numbers are wrong, how often the can’t-miss guys do and how the Wes Welkers keep finding their way into prominence.

I do not know if Tebow is going to be a great quarterback.

What I do know is I am not willing to bet against him. He’s a winner. He’s inspiring. He has it, whatever it is. He played 10 days ago — his first NFL game action of 2011 — and he actually had the Denver Broncos looking like a team. It was not simply fist-pumping and underdog sentimentality that he brought. He moved the chains. The Broncos scored points with him on the field. He scored.

He earned Sunday’s start in Miami. Yet when Tony Dungy rightly praised Tebow, you dismissed it as catching “Tebow religion” and criticized us Tebow believers for believing “whatever the last entertaining thing we saw on the boob tube is infinitely better than whatever we saw before.”

Two types of opinions exist with regards to Tebow:

1) OK, start him because really, what does Denver have to lose? This hints at Tebow being awful with just enough bet hedging in case he really does have God on his side. Or, 2) He is going to fail because he’s not good. They believe so fervently in his failure they cannot accept anything to the contrary.

Arguing with this is impossible. The best argument is made by "Chariots of Fire."

Best sports movie ever, by the way. Better than "Rudy," "Hoosiers," "Rocky," "Bull Durham." It is my "Wire," in terms of loyalty.

"Chariots of Fire" is the story of the British Olympic track team leading up to the 1924 games, and more specifically, Scottish runner Eric Liddell — a very principled man of God and astonishingly fast sprinter with a lot of doubters.

Sound familiar?

Circumstances prevented him from running his usual 100-yard dash. He is in the 400. And just before the race, the American coach goes all Merril Hoge on him. He basically tells his runners not to worry about Liddell because the dude is not good enough. And now here is the part every single Tebow doubter needs to hear, to let sink in so they can understand why Tebow might defy every low expectation for him.

American runner Jackson Scholz: “Watch out for Liddell.”

Other American runner: “Coach says no problem.”

Scholz: “He’s got something to prove, something personal, something guys like coach will never understand in a million years.”

This. This is the thing everybody is missing about Tebow. The guy was not a pretty thrower at Florida, either. He won because he was a great athlete and a massively serious competitor. He won because of the great athletes around him and his ability to lead them. He won because he had guts and toughness. And, yes, he won because of his faith. The two cannot be disconnected. It is part of who he is.

Here’s where you say: “None of that matters in the NFL.”

Hahahaha. Everybody says this and everybody is wrong. McNabb is just the latest proof. Guys with all of the tangibles fail in this league, too. Ask your buddy Jeff George. The super talents fail because they lack lower guts, because they are weak, because they do not work hard enough, because they give up. They fail for hundreds of reasons. God-given ability does not make one a champion, just like having a little less of it does not preclude you from being one. Guys defy expectations all the time in this league.

What I do not understand is why criticism of Tebow always goes so fierce so quickly. Why anybody wouldn’t approach this Sunday with an open mind.

Tebow almost brought his team back, and you criticized the way he did it. You belittled his TD pass, dismissing it as a simple screen. Your column even disrespected his scramble for a score.

Tebow is about to get his first start and predictions he'll fail are flying everywhere. The predictions are tinged with the turning Gatorade into wine jokes and lines about him being a “Savior.” I have my theories on why. Christians are one of the last groups it is totally cool to go all in on.

Christians. And white dudes.

What I am trying to say to you and the doubters is my pastor is right. There is a right side and a wrong side of almost every debate, and I fear for your sports soul that you are coming down on the wrong side of the Tebow one — with the heretics, the mean-spirited and Merril Hoge.

You are listening to the American coach. You need to be listening to Scholz.

Because in men of principle like Tebow, there is something driving them that those without it cannot quite understand and to dismiss its ability to have an impact on whatever field, in whatever game is being played, is naďve.

In "Chariots of Fire," Scholz walked up to Liddell right before the 400 and handed him a piece of paper with a verse from 1 Samuel 2:30: “He who honors Me, I will honor.” Liddell won, of course, grasping the note in his hand the entire way around the track.

He was not the most talented. He was the most driven.

This is why Jeff George failed. And why Tim Tebow might not.

And so in this time of deep sadness for you, I will leave you only with this:

Blessed are those who believe without seeing.


http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/T...-or-not-101911
Wow, wow, wow!!!
Thanks for sharing. Great read indeed.
Very objective and a fair assessment of what the Tebow hate out there is all about.
Thanks again for sharing such a nice article!
Rep!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Great article brah, thanks for posting!
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Maximus
The Razor!
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Public Enemy #1

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 5,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post


Nice.

Maximus missed out on that one. You're wittier than a Raiders fan.
No I didn't miss it... I expect teblow to fall down at the finish line!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
No I didn't miss it... I expect JaMarcus Russell to fall down at the finish line!
fify
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Denver Broncos