The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default Rick Reilly Eulogy for Al Davis

I've been so sick and tired of all the praise for Al Davis this week after he died -- I'm sure Rick Reilly's going to be lambasted for writing this article, but I thought that it was appropriate. Davis did some truly awful things over the years, and sometime you DO need to speak ill of the dead.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7...itment-honesty

Some of my favorite excerpts:

Yes, Al Davis was "infallibly loyal to his players and officials: to be a Raider was to be a Raider for life" (AP).

Except when he'd turn on them. He hired a former Raiders assistant, Tom Cable, as head coach, then fired him in 2010, the sixth coach he'd fired in nine seasons. He fired Mike Shanahan and never paid the remaining $250,000 on his contract. He fired Kiffin after less than two seasons and tried to weasel out on what remained of Kiffin's $6 million deal. He benched Hall of Fame RB Marcus Allen for two years for no other reason than jealousy, inspiring fans to wear "Free Marcus" T-shirts. Allen sued, then became the NFL Comeback Player of the Year in Kansas City. Prince of a guy, Al Davis.

---------------------

Yes, Al Davis believed in "A Commitment to Excellence."

Yet he didn't demand it in himself. The facilities he put his teams in were among the shabbiest in the NFL. I covered the world champ '83 L.A. Raiders at an abandoned elementary school in El Segundo. I can remember Howie Long changing out of his pads in a dilapidated classroom. The Raiders' current headquarters in Oakland would make a lovely Goodwill store. And yet Davis constantly complained about the stadiums he was given -- the L.A. Coliseum and Oakland Alameda Coliseum -- to great profit. He suckered the city of Irwindale, Calif., out of $10 million with fake interest in moving his team there, then took $30 million from Oakland to come back.

---------------------

Yes, Al Davis could be "generous to a fault" (former Raider Warren Bankston). He took care of former Raiders who were hurting and even paid for the funeral of Kansas City Chief Derrick Thomas.

Yet after practices, Davis would routinely throw a towel down on the locker room floor and wait for somebody to clean his shoes. No please, no thank you. Just do it, baby. And grown men would.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

I don't think he'll be missed in Oakland.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Great article. here are a couple of my favorite paragraph's:

Yes, Al Davis' life should be celebrated. He was a maverick and an innovator, "the brains behind the AFL-NFL merger, the curator of the downfield passing game" (Bill Plaschke, Los Angeles Times).

But let's be sure to add: As ahead of the curve as he was in the '70s and '80s, he was that far behind in the last two decades. Davis had three winning seasons in the last 16. He was exactly like those Members Only jackets he wore -- fashionable once, dreadfully dated forever after.

Yes, Al Davis' catchy "Just win, baby" became a mantra that transcended sports.

Just win, baby, no matter who you trample to get there. The problem is, people take only so much trampling. In 1983, Davis could've had Stanford QB John Elway. Davis needed to work a three-way deal with Baltimore and Chicago, but the Bears despised him. So Broncos owner Edgar Kaiser, a man who knew less about football than Davis' housekeeper, snuck in at the last minute and got a player who would lead the team to five Super Bowls. Karma.

Karma indeed.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

AL was a people person
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I dont mind the article at all. I lambasted him as well as praised him for his AFL work. I remember a RIP for Frontiere here at the Mane. I posted, "The wicked witch is dead!" Some people deserve the unfavorable memories as they wrecked havoc on those when they were alive.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Agamemnon

I like it. Dude was a douchebag. Just because he's dead that doesn't magically change.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer

this has nothing to do with Al Davis and everything to do with Rick Reilly, who loves attention (and also happens to be a vapid, baseless moralizer. oh, and a complete sycophant).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Same thing happened with Steinbrenner died. People seemed to forget he was an absolute tyrant. Generally, folks are almost more well liked posthumously.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Same thing happened with Steinbrenner died. People seemed to forget he was an absolute tyrant. Generally, folks are almost more well liked posthumously.
Outside of guys like Hitler and Stalin it's true. And it's something that annoys me. It just devalues the true praise for genuinely great people when they die.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
campocorto

Al Davis made football more exciting. He played the part of a villain to a T. Since I am not a perfect person and a flawed individual, I can't pass judgment on his character, but Davis' antics added to our rivalry and I am grateful for that.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
campocorto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I like it. Dude was a douchebag. Just because he's dead that doesn't magically change.
Did you ever encounter Al Davis on a personal level?

Who the **** are you anyway? Davis is a Hall of Famer with rings. You will be lucky to live the life he has when you take your dirt nap. You are just some stiff that nobody gives two ****s about.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by campocorto View Post
Did you ever encounter Al Davis on a personal level?

Who the **** are you anyway? Davis is a Hall of Famer with rings. You will be lucky to live the life he has when you take your dirt nap. You are just some stiff that nobody gives two ****s about.
Are you seriously attacking a fellow Bronco fan over Al Davis of all people? Seriously?

And are you saying that if a person isn't famous, they aren't worthwhile as a human being?

You're off to a great start dip****. Welcome to my ignore list. Keep posting like this and you'll be on many real soon.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is interesting is, as the days go by Al Davis becomes talked about less and less.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
extralife
Ring of Famer

how is that interesting in the slightest? what, is the quantity of discourse supposed to remain constant from now until the end of time?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
how is that interesting in the slightest? what, is the quantity of discourse supposed to remain constant from now until the end of time?
Just interesting that is all. No Al davis this that, no jokes, raider week with the crypt keeper. He's gone.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
What is interesting is, as the days go by Al Davis becomes talked about less and less.
How is that interesting? That's what happens when people die.

EDIT** Lol, I should have kept reading the thread.
Carry on.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Are you seriously attacking a fellow Bronco fan over Al Davis of all people? Seriously?

And are you saying that if a person isn't famous, they aren't worthwhile as a human being?

You're off to a great start dip****. Welcome to my ignore list. Keep posting like this and you'll be on many real soon.
Read his 21st post and you have to wonder if he is really a Broncos fan. Seems to me he is a genuine Raiders fan and too much of a wussy to admit it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Outside of guys like Hitler and Stalin it's true. And it's something that annoys me. It just devalues the true praise for genuinely great people when they die.
Exactly -- and I honestly feel that Davis was an antisocial personality who valued himself over his team, and his team over the league and the city that it was in. He betrayed players like Marcus Allen, betrayed both the city of Oakland and Los Angeles, betrayed coaches like Mike Shanahan and Lane Kiffin, and betrayed the entire NFL more than once for his own personal gains.

Al Davis stood for Al Davis -- good riddance.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Don't forget when he tried to cheat that widow out of her money because her husband, his player, died.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Don't forget when he tried to cheat that widow out of her money because her husband, his player, died.
Not that I'm surprised, but I never heard that one.... got a link?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Not that I'm surprised, but I never heard that one.... got a link?
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Quote:
BENDER UPDATE: The Management Council sent its written response to the NFL Players Association regarding the Leon Bender matter. The NFLPA filed a grievance, claiming the Raiders still owe Bender's estate $600,000 of his $1.2 million signing bonus.

Bender, the team's second- round draft choice in April, died May 30 of an apparent epileptic seizure, 18 days after signing his contract.

Richard Berthelesen, general counsel of the NFLPA, said the response claimed the Raiders do not owe the money because of the standard clause that a contract "terminates upon death."

The NFLPA contends this does not relieve the Raiders from paying Bender's signing bonus. The Raiders made the first $600,000 payment before his death; they did not make the second payment, due September 15.

Berthelesen said the case now proceeds to an arbitration hearing, probably in the next three to four months.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...19/SP55189.DTL

Quote:
There also is some dispute about the initial $600,000 payment. Berthelsen said the Raiders told Bender's agent, Eugene Parker, they would seek to recover the first payment if a claim was made for the balance.
I do gotta give credit and give thanks to one of the more epic beat downs by an old poster -Slap- who brought this to my attention in the thread linked below.

As a bonus, you also get to see Maximus completely melt down unable to defend the scum that was Al Davis. Trying to cheat a widow with two infants....those people have a special place.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...t=51605&page=2
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #22
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...5/1498792.html

Pasquarelli did this story before the Oak TB superbowl. I'm not sure D$v$s ever paid up. There was some talk that it wasn't the money, per se, but that the faide wanted cap relief. Since the guy never even made it to a training camp, I can see why the Faide didn't think even the signing bonus should count ... but still, you gotta pay the kid's survivors the bonus.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...5/1498792.html

Pasquarelli did this story before the Oak TB superbowl. I'm not sure D$v$s ever paid up. There was some talk that it wasn't the money, per se, but that the faide wanted cap relief. Since the guy never even made it to a training camp, I can see why the Faide didn't think even the signing bonus should count ... but still, you gotta pay the kid's survivors the bonus.
Wow... just wow... move over Satan, now there's something meatier....
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Wow... just wow... move over Satan, now there's something meatier....
yeah. I don't think A$ ever really cared about money except from a competitive stand point, and I can't really say I blame him for not paying a fired coach if he could get away with it, but .... sometimes you just gotta do the right thing. And that was not the right thing. The article talks about Bender's mother living in a "modest" house. Still, A$ was often generous with ex-players. He kept Willie Brown, Tatum and Biletnikof around. I can't work up any hate for the guy. Mike Brown sucked like a parsite off of the fans for years.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
yeah. I don't think A$ ever really cared about money except from a competitive stand point, and I can't really say I blame him for not paying a fired coach if he could get away with it, but .... sometimes you just gotta do the right thing. And that was not the right thing. The article talks about Bender's mother living in a "modest" house. Still, A$ was often generous with ex-players. He kept Willie Brown, Tatum and Biletnikof around. I can't work up any hate for the guy. Mike Brown sucked like a parsite off of the fans for years.
Really? Not paying a widow so you can stay competitive by all of 600k for your game?

And anyone that "can understand" why he wouldn't want to pay her, and not be disgusted by why has major moral problems. This alone sours me on Al Davis completely.

Last edited by Kaylore; 10-18-2011 at 10:44 AM..